• Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

Hi, I've been lurking in OH for a year since I have no special interest in any groups.But Mamamoo has caught my attention! Since the day they debut with Mr.Ambiguous, I've been keeping in track with them and watch all their videos. I'm officially a fan now! I love how they have different personality and distinguish themselves from each other. You see.. in most groups, while some actually sing, the other sometimes just be there to be eye-candy (the thing baffled me the most when I got into KPop is VISUAL..like what do you do? Just stand there and be pretty?) Some members are forgettable,because their existence are just like filler song of bland album.

But not with Mamamoo. You could tell straightaway who is who.And I'm not talking about their appearance per se. Musically- There's Solar who's in charge of high note, Hwa sa for the adlibs and harmonization, Whee in to keep the melody on track while Solar and Hwa Sa slaying the adlibs and Moonbyul as rapper. No dead weight at all. And if anybody question Moonbyul's existence while being surrounded by 3 vocally powerful girls, I suggest they go watch the radio show when Mamamoo sing together or doing acapella. Moonbyul's voice is in lower tessitura, she actually provide lower register while the others sing in middle and upper register.

Sorry for such long post. TLDR: I'm a Mamamoo fan! Hellooooo fellow MooMoos!!

• Like 4

Well yeah..I'm kinda proud my 1st post in Mamamoo thread. I've been waiting for this kind of group to come. I love Kiss and Cry and Spica, but a bit traumatized when Kiss and Cry disbanded and Spica going nowhere. I hope Mamamoo will stay though! Just like their name implies baby-talk, they are now taking baby steps. They're getting recognition, even if they actually deserved more. But it's okay, I don't want them to be one hit wonder. I rather them be at this pace, slowly but progressing. I wish their appearance in Immortal Song will be stepping stone for them to jump further ahead. :) :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, vocally they may not as good as Spica. I agree that Solar's sometimes run off ( very subtly - I notice it when she sing the part "Baby you're my own" in piano man- but there's Hwa Sa doing harmonization so you can't really hear it).But I think Solar's melismata is good too - based on their cover of 'Save me from myself' where she did it at the end of the song.  

Hwa Sa's tessitura actually more like contralto - although she could hit upper register, but her upper register is limited compared to Solar and Whee In. Whee in,on the other hand, is a hidden gem. I agree that her voice range is broader than Solar and Hwa Sa. And since she has the most stable voice and pitch, I could see why she is in charge in holding the melody. 

But their individual vocal is not Mamamoo's strength. It's when they sing together as a group that they could cover each other's weaknesses. That's why I like Mamamoo. Some girl group member take turn singing their part so we can notice their mistake, but Mamamoo provided back-up for each other to bring out the color of a song. It's their cohesiveness and harmonization that makes them different. And when they perform together, they appreciate each other's presence and most importantly - they enjoy performing in front of audience.

Edited by nichy23
  • Like 5

I love healthy discussion too :) :)  We can still discuss without bringing anyone down. Everybody has their own strength and weaknesses anyway.

Now let's talk about another aspect of this group that I couldn't help wondering. I think, they are aware of their musical talent but they have a bit of inferiority complex in terms of appearance. Whee In has mentioned about this twice - once in DC interview ( where she said Mamamoo is not a super pretty group) and another time in recent Pops in Seoul interview. With the trend in Kpop where visual and aegyo-ness? appeal more, I know what's in their mind. Like AOA - they have good concept, extremely talented as a band - but they have to ditch it and go for different route which makes them popular now.

I don't like seeing Whee In getting all shy and sad when speaking about their looks. I think, they all are beautiful in their own way. They are all confident on stage, but off stage, they are still brewing the insecurity. I wish people will look further into their talent and what they bring to the table, rather than superficial appearance.

And yes, please invite them to Gayo please! They deserve it!

Edited by nichy23
  • Like 8

I really want them to win rookie award. But looking at situation right now ( fangirls vs handsome oppa vs cute girls vs album sale vs company vs talent ), I just become speechless. May the God of Music bless Mamamoo and give the righteous award for them.

Speaking of variety, I think they will be explosive if they are given chance especially Hwa Sa. That girl is so random and explicit.( If you watch Pop in Seoul's Secret box, she kinda tuck the secret card into her bra and it peek out through her sleeveless dress  :imstupid:  ) Whee In is cute too, she looks timid but she's quite talkative. Moonbyul is just too cool, she gives off this andro-swaggy girl vibe and Solar will be hilarious with her words ( I think Solar is a person who address thing directly - like she did during backstage interview at Show Champion, the we-shoot-many-clips-backstage-but-you-edit-us-out! )

Edited by nichy23
  • Like 1

I'm just wondering.. If Gaon awards rely on physical and digital sales, will Mamamoo have a chance to win? If it split to gender, the contender is Red Velvet and some other girls ( I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the other). I'm not sure how well the other group do in terms of physical and digital sale.

If it's just gender regardless of solo or group, then Park Boram will win because her digital single will probably be around the 900k to 1 million sales mark by the end of the year (EDIT: it's been a while since I've even checked her sales, maybe she's already hit that). Though the thing about her song is that it features Block B's Zico. So I'm wondering if songs with features are okay as long as it's not the nominee who is the featuring artist.

And if so, wouldn't that mean that Mamamoo could have Don't Be Happy, Peppermint Chocolate and Hx5 counted? (that's like 900k in sales right there). But I'll just be safe and say that Mamamoo only gets to have Mr. Ambiguous and Piano Man + Hello and Piano Man albums sales.

If it's gender and group (so best female group rookie) then I'm pretty sure that Mamamoo's got this. Digitally Mr. Ambiguous > Happiness and Piano Man > Be Natural. Physically, Red Velvet didn't release any physical albums while Mamamoo has released 2 minis, so it's advantage MMM there.

Oh I love that... Sounds promising. I hope Mamamoo will win. On the other hand, I just realize that Moonbyul has beautiful voice. I stumbled through a guerilla performance of them singing cover of Primary's See through and she sings the first verse and few more after that. She's contralto too!

You know what's striking about these past performances?  It's only been a few months since their debut, but I've seen noticeable improvements in their singing and dancing from then to now.  Anyone else feels this or is it my imagination?  :lol:

Yeah..They still have rooms for improvement. I hope they could stay progressing rather than being stagnant at same level of skills. By the way, are they recording something today? I saw the instagram of Nicole with them.

Oh I'd love to see them dressing like classy Santa!

I wish they could sing something like the original Eartha Kitt's version of Santa Baby or Jingle Bell Rock

My bias is Moonbyul

Here's a clip for you moonstar shipper

Moonbyul forgot her lyric when they sing Love Lane. She was so adorable, getting embarrassed throughout the song afterward and couldn't meet the members' eyes or see the audience. Whee In and Hwa Sa straight-up laughing, while Solar attempted to be a good leader and smiled all the way instead. They all look cute

• Like 3

A guy making up thread saying Mamamoo was overpraised. Tried to counter, but seeing how the OP respond, I could tell the discussion will be spiraling down the toilet hole. I better stay away and be a chill MooMoo

Here's Moonbyul pre-debut without bangs

10655005_307311996121269_1592647421_a.jp

Edited by nichy23

:) :) :)  Nice thing to say Ohuzr. I like Purfles too, their vocal range mostly at upper register and they possess almost similar voice type. So 1,2,3 song's note mostly lies in higher octave to suit their voice type. However for such reason also, their voice tend to 'run off' at certain part when they try to reach the note. (Especially the part 'Oh it's ok, ijen gwenchana~). Well to be fair, Solar had similar prob as well and Hwa Sa sometimes lowered the octave.

But the thing about Purfles is that their voices lack stability. I don't know if it is due to nervousness or their choreography, you could see the difference when they are singing live on stage. They need to develop personality to make each member stand out from one another, since they have similar voice type and similar styling. When they perform, there's little contact among themselves and I think they need to acknowledge each other's presence at least. They need to do something to bring out the essence of the song and deliver it to audience.

Other aspect of vocal and level of confidence is on par with Mamamoo. But of course this is all my opinion.

But the main problem on that thread was exactly trying to question Mamamoo's "popularity" and somewhat bringing them down to make Purfles look better. There wasn't any point, just OP being pressed. Both groups are talented and everyone who checked them knows that. Personally, I think Purfles still need something else to be more interesting, and that's why I'm looking forward to whatever they release next. But as people kept questioning some points of OP's opinion, he/she just denied everything and said we were putting words on their mouth lol

Yeah, he's so defensive, I just can't. If he wants to argue, come bring the points and I could provide counter-argument. But he just beat around the bush, I think he's just salty.

Again, I'd love to have a discussion about all rookies ggs (mamoo, RV, lovelyz, purfles...) because they were all very good and each one has some interesting point to discuss. Obviously, out of all of them, the one with higher chances to be successful is Red Velvet, which is also (in my opinion) the least talented, but no one even questioned their overpraise.

Anyways, that thread was just awful.

I agree. Among rookies who debut this year, Red Velvet has better chance, despite being ...yeah. They have strong fanbase and staying in big company does give them more advantage. They still haven't shown their true potential yet, I'm sure they have something else to give. I blame it on their songs (whisper- I don't like cutesy song like Happiness). Wendy can hit a note for sure, but her voice feels light and lack of timbre when she did it. Well, it depends on a person's preference in the end.

I don't like putting down on other group while promoting my bias, I'm open to any discussion as long as it has points to support and to rebut. If they think Mamamoo is not up to their standard, bring up the point instead of calling us delusional. But yeah, let's just ignore them.Those panini breads can stay in their pressed world

• Like 1

Welcome fellow Moomoo!Wow, more and more fans coming!

tumblr_inline_n8asywKPqL1qbzdsu.jpg

I want them to collab with Primary. I like Primary's songs (despite that plagiarism controversy) and them covering See through is heaven. Their voices match the RnB x electro-swing genre.

Hoping that they could do cover for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGRFS2qQDE

but tbh, I really don't understan Korean beauty standards.. no let me rephrase it.. I don't understand any beauty standards.. like these people have to have some kind of example where they compare others with? or am I just being delusional because I think Mamamoo is a group with actually 4 pretty girls? sure they might not be everyones cup of tea in terms of appereance, but it hurts me not only as a fan but also a human that these girls think quite low about themselves.. how I wish I could tell them that they are beautiful in their own way & in my eyes.

I fail to understand too. I agree that Mamamoo is a group of 4 beautiful ladies. Moonbyul could ditch this idol world anytime and be the next top model with her unique facial features. Solar is beautiful (some people in youtube even questioning if she was mixed), Whee In is cute with her dimples, and Hwa Sa is simply.. I don't know how to describe her correctly.. alluring? All of them are unique in their own ways. But unfortunately, living in a place where beauty has its cookie cutter standard, they couldn't help feeling a bit inferior. First article that comes out after a girl group debut will always be "Is XX the visual?" or "Beautiful YY of group VV". It's the society that create such judgmental behavior and sadly, the (international) fans simply following the suit.

I even saw someone commenting rudely "Such unattractive group" or "They have good voice but they're ugly" like darling, why don't you get a mirror and see the troll looking back at you.

I'm still kinda scared they're gonna get bashed for that...you know how fandoms get about encore etiquette  :ninja: 

But Apink clearly encouraged them to stay on the stage so maybe that'll shield them.

http://youtu.be/HO1lqndscRc?t=1m43s

Moonbyul's dope dance after Eunji said "Piano man".. :imstupid: ..

I just had to share this coz Solar and Moonbyul's reaction was hilarious. At 4:33 Solar started gaping at Sonnet Son and her jaw dropped even lower towards the end of the song. (Well I was too... Son's voice was just too...ughhh). Whee In at 5:28 was like damn,this is crazy

P/S: Isn't this singer will also be in Immortal Song? Wow

Edited by nichy23

This was so funny, Solar's face the entire time was like :omg: 

And to think that they are competing against each other on Immortal Songs lol. Solar just needs to do that again, she'll get camera time for sure. 

:lol: :lol: I can't with Solar's face, she's like shit,this woman is insane! lol

Which reminds me someone on Mamamoo's fancafe was lucky enough to get tickets to the recording and wrote a review. Google translate gives me basically that all 4 members performed (someone asked the poster this) and that they were really good, they said something about previous stages being good but this stage was really good. 

reviewer first talks about how they had tried to get tickets to immortal songs w/ no luck, but finally they did and they were really happy.

They really liked the stage, they got chills.

They can't say much about the stage but it was really the best.

There's a lot of other stuff but google translate isn't helping.

I'm so impatient, I want to see their performance now haha /o\

Oohhh... I want to see it too! What song they're singing? Are they singing their own song?

Nope; All the contestants are singing songs by a certain composer or singer. MMM's episode's composer is "ê¹€ì˜ê´‘" (Kim Young Kwang). I haven't gotten desperate enough to go searching for the composer's original songs to get the idea of what to expect. Although ppl on the show almost always change up the arrangement.

Whatever song they sing, I hope they slay! It doesn't matter if they don't win (But I wish they do!), I want public to recognize their talent and more fans coming to support them. I kinda want them to be labelled as performer rather than idol, because they really belong to stage

tumblr_n9c4y00z2N1th4hofo1_500.gif

They're so hilarious even though I can't understand what they're talking about. Too many Moon-Solar sweetness and so many people requesting for Whee In to do things :lol: :lol:  Lol at Solar when she did the aegyo (Miaawww) and get embarrassed afterward. She also mispronounce Moon Byul's name and Hwa Sa accidentally said Solar's real name. Now I really really want them to have their own variety show so bad!! Something like Mamamoo diary :) :)

Their attempt to read English is so adorable. But I really laugh when Solar read the message "I love Mamamoo. Solar you're a goddess", she was like 'uh..what is goddess'. I feel like screaming at the screen :You've just got a compliment!

• Like 1

I got picked! I wish I wrote a message though. Maybe next time :(

I saw that! If they ever do MeetnGreet again, I'm gonna join in. I'll make sure to put some cute puppy picture or Pikachu coz Whee In and Solar will pick that.

It's amazing that a few of the members in this thread got a response from Mamamoo.  What power does this thread have.  :omg:

I realized that many international fans leaving the message and got picked. Good things tho :) :) They should know that many people outside Korea who support them despite being rookie group who just debuted