Good luck to any that apply! Moderating is not easy but it's rewarding. If you love helping others, have a good sense of understanding, find it easy to work as a team, and value working towards creating and maintaining a strong community, it's a great position to go for!
But because your current roster of moderators are far too nice to say it, I'm going to be the one who does it; honestly reconsider applying if:
- You're incapable of volunteering your time to the site. People love being stamp holders on this site and care more about the title than giving effort. No one needs you on the team.
- You do not have the passion for this site and community. You do not get paid for this "job"; it is strictly volunteer and to do it well you will need to love it. Anything you face will rely on your love for OneHallyu and its thriving community to help you get through it. Trust me.
- You aren't good at working with a team. You may be able to organize threads and sure, you know how to read and comprehend rules, but if you don't know how to talk with the rest of your moderating team and instead love taking the backseat when it comes to discussions, meetings, giving input, and bouncing feedback off other people, then you won't be a good addition to the team. It is what it is.
- You get offended easily. Moderating is not easy. You will be accused of many things - things that are false and go against your true character. Your feelings must become steel. Your favs will be dragged to hell and back all over the forum and you will be responsible for remaining composed, professional, and absolutely capable of functioning and doing your job fairly despite it all. If you can't work under that kind of pressure then please don't try to put yourself in it.
- You don't know how to make a decision. You will be uncertain of yourself at first while you learn and that is okay, but if you are never confident in your decisions and handling a situation on your own, then you will find this position just isn't for you.
A lot of people apply and go into this with the mindset of "Oh, I post on here! I could do this job!" without realizing the full responsibility that comes with it. Realize that moderating is not easy. Many days it will be hard. You will be hated by someone on this site no matter what it is you do or how fair and just you handle a situation.
But it feels good to be a part of something that is great; it feels good to contribute to something you believe in. Working in a team and developing close relationships among others you'll grow to value is fulfilling. Seeing first hand a positive impact you create on others within this site is rewarding. Yes, moderating is not easy, but it is so very worth it.
If this post sounds serious, it's because it is. I genuinely hope those who apply are willing and ready to put in the time and effort. That is the only thing that OneHallyu and its users deserve.
Have fun and good luck.~xo