Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Athena

Are you a Christian who believes everything in the Bible?

Or are you a Christian who doesn't want to believe in things that you feel are wrong or not believable contrary to what the Bible says?

It doesn't matter if you are a Christian of any denomination or without a denomination.

Which one are you? Like for example are you a Christian who believes in every little theory or idea in the Bible and that "The Bible doesn't change for you, but you change for the Bible"?

I pick and choose what I want to believe, and I don't think that you would be a bad Christian for doing so.

For example on my part, sometimes I choose to believe science, because it gives us facts and reason. Also concerning homosexuality, I am pro-gay rights.

I'm a scientific christian. Meaning my brain believes science but my heart believes there is a creator of us all. Some things that Jesus did is questionable but I trust my faith that he is the son of god/god in human flesh.

I'm a Christian that lets myself be pretty much guided by the Bible in my beliefs, but I'm a very accepting person, and I do believe some people exaggerate/twist some things the Bible says to their own liking. Instead of it being a book of rules and regulations as most people think it is mostly story-telling and giving you advice on how to lead a happier healthier life and be the best you can be. To me, its very motivational.

Never have I ever used the Bible to insult, bring down, or shun anything or anybody. Probably never will. One of the main advices the Bible gives is to love others as you would yourself. To each their own.

I read the bible contextually, not literally.

That is - I know that the bible was written over 2000 years ago and was written in a completely different societal context than the society we live in today. As such, there are many things that must be interpreted. Our thinking about the bible must be fluid and flexible.

For example, in the bible there are over 3000+ commandments - one of them being that it is a sin for men to cut their hair above their ears. Of course, such petty commandments should not be taken seriously in today's world, where there is nothing wrong with having a short haircut! In the bible it is also alright to have slaves. But today, slavery is no longer considered "the norm", and we must acknowledge that and apply it to the bible. Another important controversial point - with the advancements in science and technology, it is impossible to be credible today if all that is ignored. The earth is certainly more than a few thousand years old like the bible says it is. I believe that religion and science are intertwined.

There are many things we do not understand.

The bible to me is a collection of lessons that must be identified and discovered. You have to read in between the lines, if you will.

Many people use the bible as a way to validate their discrimination and prejudice. Gays should not marry. Blacks should not have rights. All other religions are wrong. Well, they're not real Christians, IMO. They have no compassion, no understanding, no love. And they have lost sight of what it truly means to be a believer of God.

well the bible can be interpreted in many different ways, that's why we have so many batshit christians out there who interpret everything literally. i don't really "choose and pic" per se, i just choose how to interpret it

My spiritual faith is based on the improvement of nature. I can selectively deduce interpretations from the bible, but I do not live off of what emotional and physical beings have interpreted.

I do believe in God and have read the Bible, however, it would be silly to believe that it had not been changed throughout the centuries.

I pick what to believe 

I pick and choose what's believable.

I'm a scientific christian. Meaning my brain believes science but my heart believes there is a creator of us all. Some things that Jesus did is questionable but I trust my faith that he is the son of god/god in human flesh.

Well I study things in the bible quite carefully and ask people who have studied it strongly.

I read the bible contextually, not literally.

That is - I know that the bible was written over 2000 years ago and was written in a completely different societal context than the society we live in today. As such, there are many things that must be interpreted. Our thinking about the bible must be fluid and flexible.

For example, in the bible there are over 3000+ commandments - one of them being that it is a sin for men to cut their hair above their ears. Of course, such petty commandments should not be taken seriously in today's world, where there is nothing wrong with having a short haircut! In the bible it is also alright to have slaves. But today, slavery is no longer considered "the norm", and we must acknowledge that and apply it to the bible. Another important controversial point - with the advancements in science and technology, it is impossible to be credible today if all that is ignored. The earth is certainly more than a few thousand years old like the bible says it is. I believe that religion and science are intertwined.

There are many things we do not understand.

The bible to me is a collection of lessons that must be identified and discovered. You have to read in between the lines, if you will.

Many people use the bible as a way to validate their discrimination and prejudice. Gays should not marry. Blacks should not have rights. All other religions are wrong. Well, they're not real Christians, IMO. They have no compassion, no understanding, no love. And they have lost sight of what it truly means to be a believer of God.

Well Jesus himself said that marriage is to be between man and women, in which sex should be only be in the confines of marriage. yet he preaches to love and respect everyone including gays. But they don't invalidate each other. I can love gays yet not agree with same sex marriage. This view doesn't invalidate my friendship nor does it make me homophobic.

Well yes, if a God says that he is the only one and there should not be other teachings that perverse his, then it does mean that all other religions with same sex marriage. The bible doesn't preach that blacks should not have rights. IIRC that quote (if taken literally) is that there will always a slave, that there will be people who will work hard for little, I don't think it promotes it. People just point the word slave to blacks, but anyone. The bible doesn't discriminate against black people. When Paul was visited by the Ethiopian scholar, he didn't go and yell "Hey you should be a slave!". The bible preaches that God's law is revolved in the law of love but dictates on how and what love is to be shown. Philia or sexual love is shown as rather secondary and If taken into account, there are laws around it as it is holy. Gays are aloud to have such feelings, but that homosexual love is not the love is not the one he intends. So therefore the bible is not homophobic

Well I study things in the bible quite carefully and ask people who have studied it strongly.

Well Jesus himself said that marriage is to be between man and women, in which sex should be only be in the confines of marriage. yet he preaches to love and respect everyone including gays. But they don't invalidate each other. I can love gays yet not agree with same sex marriage. This view doesn't invalidate my friendship nor does it make me homophobic.

Well yes, if a God says that he is the only one and there should not be other teachings that perverse his, then it does mean that all other religions with same sex marriage. The bible doesn't preach that blacks should not have rights. IIRC that quote (if taken literally) is that there will always a slave, that there will be people who will work hard for little, I don't think it promotes it. People just point the word slave to blacks, but anyone. The bible doesn't discriminate against black people. When Paul was visited by the Ethiopian scholar, he didn't go and yell "Hey you should be a slave!". The bible preaches that God's law is revolved in the law of love but dictates on how and what love is to be shown. Philia or sexual love is shown as rather secondary and If taken into account, there are laws around it as it is holy. Gays are aloud to have such feelings, but that homosexual love is not the love is not the one he intends. So therefore the bible is not homophobic

It seems like you contradict yourself every time you open you're mouth. IIRC you are homophobic and believe that they should be saved because the Bible says it's wrong.

It seems like you contradict yourself every time you open you're mouth. IIRC you are homophobic and believe that they should be saved because the Bible says it's wrong.

What makes you think I am homophobic?

homosexual acts are wrong, not being a homosexual. Homophobia doesn't revolve on the attitude towards the acts, but rather on a person's and a people's identity. I have no problem towards their identity. The bible has no problem with their identity, but it does have a problem on their sin. If I have said something else I apologise, but my point was those who have committed it should confess that sin. We need to confess to all of our sins to be saved. Not like "I confess all of my sins, but not that time I stole because I am hungry."

What makes you think I am homophobic?

homosexual acts are wrong, not being a homosexual. Homophobia doesn't revolve on the attitude towards the acts, but rather on a person's and a people's identity. I have no problem towards their identity. The bible has no problem with their identity, but it does have a problem on their sin. If I have said something else I apologise, but my point was those who have committed it should confess that sin. We need to confess to all of our sins to be saved. Not like "I confess all of my sins, but not that time I stole because I am hungry."

I'm not gonna even start right now.

What kind of unrealistic thing that bible said anyway? I am a Catholic but I am not that religious to read bible though.