Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orangey

Zico and Rap Monster Immortalized in Korean Hip Hop Book

:hehe:

42 Korean hip hop artists will be featured in Hiphophada Vol 1 and 2.

CoTJTsUVMAE9OhM.jpg

CoTrJsYVUAExx4z.jpg

Zico

13827186_296265150722505_480824371_n.jpg

Rap Monster excerpt from book

CoTL0HPUkAAFUOu.jpg

Btw, any thoughts, opinions on Rap Monster's words?

He deserves it.

Both of them. Good job

Nice  :ahmagah:

Heck yeah! They both deserve it.

oh my God I'm so proud!!! he has struggled a long time with being an idol and making hip hop so the fact that he's been acknowledged this way... OTL

im... not gonna say anything but ... kinda feel like someone just as good as both of them ... is left out ... and it's annoying ... hmm ...

Oooo wow. Congrats to everyone~ Do you know more about what the book is, exactly?

And yeah, I like when Rapmon talks about his perspective on hip hop, and reflects on how it fits into his own life and dreams--and the varieties of challenges that come with that (internal ones like addressing one's own ignorance, and external ones like idol prejudice). I go back to one of his past interviews from time to time, and I like how he expresses his thoughts so that I can feel his passion and respect for this music. So if there's more from him that I can read, I'm excited for it!  :ohbi:

congrats to everyone~

They both deserve it~! So proud of Namjoon.

But what about Verbal Jint and SsamD? :(

Really proud and happy for him. I think what he said is pretty much aligned with how he always talks about his career. I think it's been hard for him to define his passion and career in the past--something I relate to--but he's so smart and self-aware that he's figured it out. I'm sure it's an ongoing struggle, but he doesn't let anyone else define him so he has the freedom to express himself. He's taking the best from the hip hop and idol worlds and is forging his own path alongside Bangtan.

im... not gonna say anything but ... kinda feel like someone just as good as both of them ... is left out ... and it's annoying ... hmm ...

Suga isn't there yet, but he could be eventually. We'll see how his mixtape is received. Just be happy for Joon--recognition for him is recognition for BTS.

Oooo wow. Congrats to everyone~ Do you know more about what the book is, exactly?

And yeah, I like when Rapmon talks about his perspective on hip hop, and reflects on how it fits into his own life and dreams--and the varieties of challenges that come with that (internal ones like addressing one's own ignorance, and external ones like idol prejudice). I go back to one of his past interviews from time to time, and I like how he expresses his thoughts so that I can feel his passion and respect for this music. So if there's more from him that I can read, I'm excited for it!  :ohbi:

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that interview yet for some reason. 

when i first saw this on instagram, i was like ohmygosh rap mon  :shock:

congrats to rap mon -- glad his talent and rap skills are being recognized  :datass:

zico was expected -- even if you don't like him as a person, you really can't deny his skills as a rapper and producer 

I'm happy RM was featured. Can't wait for the rest of his section to be translated.

but...simon d is where... D: master of riding beats...and p-type...sighs...

I have a feeling there might be more volumes. There's quite a few peeps that were left out. And it'd be nice to see some more female MCs featured as well.

The book contains autobiographies + interviews for the rappers. Not every rapper is going to be in the book, only the ones who agreed to tell their story.

For Zico, he talks about his childhood, how he started rapping and his future aspirations as a producer.

I'm really proud of him. He deserves this and so much more. 

#RapMonsterProtectionSquad2k16

:ahmagah:  :ahmagah:

Suga time will come. Rapmon's mixtape brought him so much recognition in Korea, I'm sure Suga's mixtape will do the same!

:ahmagah:  :ahmagah:

Suga time will come. Rapmon's mixtape brought him so much recognition in Korea, I'm sure Suga's mixtape will do the same!

Really proud and happy for him. I think what he said is pretty much aligned with how he always talks about his career. I think it's been hard for him to define his passion and career in the past--something I relate to--but he's so smart and self-aware that he's figured it out. I'm sure it's an ongoing struggle, but he doesn't let anyone else define him so he has the freedom to express himself. He's taking the best from the hip hop and idol worlds and is forging his own path alongside Bangtan.

Suga isn't there yet, but he could be eventually. We'll see how his mixtape is received. Just be happy for Joon--recognition for him is recognition for BTS.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that interview yet for some reason. 

i hope so to both of these statements >:^( they're both so fucking talented but sometimes i kind of feel like non-fans only give rap mon the credit. it just gets frustrating as a yoongi stan and an army in general.

You deserve it Rapmon!! I wish Suga and Jhope will be recognize too someday  :)

i hope so to both of these statements >:^( they're both so fucking talented but sometimes i kind of feel like non-fans only give rap mon the credit. it just gets frustrating as a yoongi stan and an army in general.

A lot of non-fans don't even know who Suga is. RM has more public recognition, has done more solo activities, and has already released a critically-acclaimed mixtape. Part of this is because he's the leader which is just the way it is. But Yoongi's doing what he needs to do. I think BH is at the stage where they're finding more individual activities for them all so hopefully Yoongi will get something on top of his mixtape release. It would be nice to see him get a bit more recognition for his production efforts at this point, but I have a feeling that he'll be contributing even more in the future anyways. Basically, just be patient.  

True. tho there are many non-fans/fans that like Suga too.

Like literally anytime there is something positive about Rapmon, there are always comments "What about suga"

Again I truly believe Suga time will come!!! I'm so excited for his mixtape!!!

also what Akpheart said.

A lot of non-fans don't even know who Suga is. RM has more public recognition, has done more solo activities, and has already released a critically-acclaimed mixtape. Part of this is because he's the leader which is just the way it is. But Yoongi's doing what he needs to do. I think BH is at the stage where they're finding more individual activities for them all so hopefully Yoongi will get something on top of his mixtape release. It would be nice to see him get a bit more recognition for his production efforts at this point, but I have a feeling that he'll be contributing even more in the future anyways. Basically, just be patient.  

I've talked before about this in the BTS main thread, but there's also the issue that the KHH scene is relatively insular. RM was underground and was active in Seoul and thus was a part of this insular scene before he signed with Bighit. Suga (and J-hope) never were (Suga had a crew in Daegu but never performed underground in the Hongdae clubs, from my understanding, like RM did). Therefore, it's not surprising that they're never mentioned in these kind of capacities. However, with Suga's mixtape release and any subsequent solo activities, things may change. It's not a requirement to be from the underground to get big or well known, just makes it a little easier, since you have connections, history, and name recognition.

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct me on this info, but this is what I've gathered from various articles and interviews. I'm wondering if this book will give more insight into that kind of stuff and whether or not there will be an English version...

I've talked before about this in the BTS main thread, but there's also the issue that the KHH scene is relatively insular. RM was underground and was active in Seoul and thus was a part of this insular scene before he signed with Bighit. Suga (and J-hope) never were (Suga had a crew in Daegu but never performed underground in the Hongdae clubs, from my understanding, like RM did). Therefore, it's not surprising that they're never mentioned in these kind of capacities. However, with Suga's mixtape release and any subsequent solo activities, things may change. It's not a requirement to be from the underground to get big or well known, just makes it a little easier, since you have connections, history, and name recognition.

Anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct me on this info, but this is what I've gathered from various articles and interviews. I'm wondering if this book will give more insight into that kind of stuff and whether or not there will be an English version...

Your point makes sense and I haven't thought about that enough in those terms. There's probably some cred that comes with having worked there and with certain names (like Zico) who were getting buzz at the time. I don't know how something like his collaboration with MFBTY came about exactly, but opportunities like that probably depend on certain kinds of connections or recognition. I don't think that was just about BTS if I'm not mistaken, though they seem somewhat supportive of idols.