Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yknok

GFriend and Navillera

Some people linked GFriend's new song to butterfly, because "Navi" (or Nabi - b and v are not distinguished in Korean) means butterfly. It was also linked to the Bernard Werber book "Butterfly to the stars". (He is a French author but for reasons unknown he is more famous in Korea.)

But, since I know what Navillera means, I will explain what it is.

That is a phrase in the poet Cho Ji-hoon(1920-1968)'s famous poem "The Monk's Dance" (Seungmoo). Despite of its title it usually danced by a woman.

What happens is a dancer, wearing a Buddhist nun's garb, dances to her heart. In the old times when Cho was around, a real Buddhist nun would dance it; nowdays it is no longer that case, but at that time the nun would have shaved her hair, like all Korean Buddhist nuns do.

At that time women had fewer opportunities, so those who had lost their husbands and had no place to go, or otherwise had no options, ended up shaving their heads to become Buddhist nuns so it is implied that their dances are supposed to express the turmoils of their lives, which are transformed into art.

The first line of this poem, known to older Koreans since it used to be taught in the school but probably not familiar to younger people including GFriend members, goes like this:

ì–‡ì€ ì‚¬(ç´—) 하ì´ì–€ ê³ ê¹”ì€ ê³ ì´ ì ‘ì–´ì„œ 나빌레ë¼

Yalbeun Sa Haiyan Gokkaleun Goi Juboso Navillera

(Thin robes and lily-white tonsure, folded carefully, are Fluttering)

[Tonsure is a cap worn by nuns, showing they no longer have anything to do with the real world. In Korea Buddhist nuns go around with their shaved heads, and tonsures are only worn when doing something formal,like dancing this kind of stuff.]

This word navillera, invented in this poem by the poet, means something fluttering. The poet never explained what that word meant, but critics say that word shows the transformation of the hat, an inanimate object, into a butterfly, a live object. So it is like 'butterfly-like', but not butterfly itself.

Because the word sounds good, it is sometimes used to describe small and cute things flying around.

It is likely that some of the dance routines will resemble the Monk's dance in traditional Korean way. If someone is interested you can look up 'Korean Buddhist Dance' I won't post it since some of you may not like the traditional Korean Buddhist music used to do this dance.

In short, Navillera means small things fluttering in traditional Korean monk's dance, although since Me Gustas Tu was not used correctly ('Me' should not have been omitted and 'Tu' could but it went the other way), I don't think Iggy-Yongbae really understood what "Navillera' really meant.

I actually do not like the Korean Title, "You And I", more. It was used by an old Korean folk duo, Sorisae, in the 1980s, and was also used by the Klus and Ailee.

Some people linked GFriend's new song to butterfly, because "Navi" (or Nabi - b and v are not distinguished in Korean) means butterfly. It was also linked to the Bernard Werber book "Butterfly to the stars". (He is a French author but for reasons unknown he is more famous in Korea.)

But, since I know what Navillera means, I will explain what it is.

That is a phrase in the poet Cho Ji-hoon(1920-1968)'s famous poem "The Monk's Dance" (Seungmoo). Despite of its title it usually danced by a woman.

What happens is a dancer, wearing a Buddhist nun's garb, dances to her heart. In the old times when Cho was around, a real Buddhist nun would dance it; nowdays it is no longer that case, but at that time the nun would have shaved her hair, like all Korean Buddhist nuns do.

At that time women had fewer opportunities, so those who had lost their husbands and had no place to go, or otherwise had no options, ended up shaving their heads to become Buddhist nuns so it is implied that their dances are supposed to express the turmoils of their lives, which are transformed into art.

The first line of this poem, known to older Koreans since it used to be taught in the school but probably not familiar to younger people including GFriend members, goes like this:

ì–‡ì€ ì‚¬(ç´—) 하ì´ì–€ ê³ ê¹”ì€ ê³ ì´ ì ‘ì–´ì„œ 나빌레ë¼

Yalbeun Sa Haiyan Gokkaleun Goi Juboso Navillera

(Thin robes and lily-white tonsure, folded carefully, are Fluttering)

[Tonsure is a cap worn by nuns, showing they no longer have anything to do with the real world. In Korea Buddhist nuns go around with their shaved heads, and tonsures are only worn when doing something formal,like dancing this kind of stuff.]

This word navillera, invented in this poem by the poet, means something fluttering. The poet never explained what that word meant, but critics say that word shows the transformation of the hat, an inanimate object, into a butterfly, a live object.

Because the word sounds good, it is sometimes used to describe small and cute things flying around.

It is likely that some of the dance routines will resemble the Monk's dance in traditional Korean way. If someone is interested you can look up 'Korean Buddhist Dance' I won't post it since some of you may not like the traditional Korean Buddhist music used to do this dance.

In short, Navillera means small things fluttering in traditional Korean monk's dance, although since Me Gustas Tu was not used correctly ('Me' should not have been omitted and 'Tu' could but it went the other way), I don't think Iggy-Yongbae really understood what "Navillera' really meant.

I actually do not like the Korean Title, "You And I", more. It was used by an old Korean folk duo, Sorisae, in the 1980s, and was also used by the Klus and Ailee.

disappointed that you didn't even place IU in your monolgue for once ^^

just like most people said I was waiting for it lol

inb4 Yknok g-friend, iu and twice 2000 word essay.

just like most people said I was waiting for it lol

Happy Oppa did say that but it is not possible to explain what that phrase really means without explaining where it came from, which necessitated a long essay.

disappointed that you didn't even place IU in your monolgue for once ^^

he did  :imstupid:

last sentence:

Klus = Korean Least Useful Singer = IU  :imstupid:

The sky isn't always blue but you can trust that yknok will always mention IU somehow. 

yes, yes, Yknok. 

Your love for literature is commendable. 

he did  :imstupid:

last sentence:

Klus = Korean Least Useful Singer = IU  :imstupid:

The sky isn't always blue but you can trust that yknok will always mention IU somehow. 

yes, yes, Yknok. 

Your love for literature is commendable. 

I dropped too fast, it reassures me^^

I just remember IU , i hope that Gfriend have the same success

this actually makes sense 

like actually LOL

I was expecting another IU troll thread but this was actually informative and the mostly likely explanation. Thanks Yknok!

so very close....

but great explanation otherwise ;)

I was expecting another IU troll thread but this was actually informative and the mostly likely explanation. Thanks Yknok!

We can trust Yknok with his literature knowledge although he cannot miss to mention "klus=Korean lovable ultimate singer in his" paragraphs.

Happy Oppa did say that but it is not possible to explain what that phrase really means without explaining where it came from, which necessitated a long essay.

Woah I got mentioned here lol.

But I like this essay, I don't even knoe what navillera is and this is quite educational.

As expected the IU obsession is still there LOL but either way this thread is informative/useful for Navillera/GFRIEND~

Thank you very much for such explicitly beautiful explanation of the whole "Navillera" issue.

It is very enlightening. Here's a round of applause by Professor McGonagall.

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif