Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Best K-Pop songwriters/producers: Kenzie [Appreciation Thread]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 lweebee

lweebee

Idol

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hey guys, so after listing out and appreciating songs written by Seo Ji-Eum, I want to mention another SM (there are several more) instrumental songwriter, probably the most famous SM songwriter/producer:

Kim Yeon-Jung (김연정) aka KENZIE

Kenzie02.png

Kenzie is a powerhouse and experienced songwriter AND producer. She studied music in the US and is married to producer Kim Jung-Bae who she oftens work with. Here are some favorites from her:

Exo - Overdose (wrote & co-produced)

blinky-light.gif

Exo - Wolf (wrote)

large.gif

f(x) - Red Light (wrote)

tumblr_neff2pRSPu1rlfjwoo9_500.gif

f(x) - Hot Summer (wrote)

2-9.gif

f(x) - Pinocchio (Danger)  (wrote)

4074b742-a598-4c91-8b5b-c001a71d6aae.gif

f(x) - Milk  (wrote & co-produced)

tumblr_n8a2wwYsXm1qflxdwo2_500.gif

BoA - Copy & Paste  (wrote)

boa___copy_and_paste_gif_1_by_narrowhave

BoA - Hurricane Venus  (wrote)

bej0h1.gif

TVXQ - Humanoids  (wrote)

QYphG.gif

Super Junior - Devil  (wrote & co-produced)

tumblr_nr5bwlY8KY1qiq56ao1_540.gif

Super Junior - Spy  (wrote)

tumblr_m8odj2zS7e1r1x6q3o1_500.gif

Girls' Generation - Oh!  (produced)

SNSDOh.gif

Girls' Generation - Chocolate Love (wrote)

24pggog.gif

Red Velvet - Huff n Puff  (wrote)

tumblr_o1bwxu7kSK1uk4i5go1_500.gif

Incredible! He catalog is remarkable!!!! She's been in the industry for almost 15 years and still manages to be creative today. She is revered by other famous Korean songwriters (such as Kim Eana who's thread will be up some day in the future..) and has definitely made a name of herself even internationally.

What do you guys think? Any favorite listed/unlisted??

#2 bluecottoncandy

bluecottoncandy

No.1

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:08 AM (Edited by Lotus, 21 May 2016 - 04:10 AM.)

So she wrote that cheese line in wolf  :imstupid:

#3 Mari~

Mari~

~★~ ✿ EXO's Aeri ✿ ~★~

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:40 AM

So she wrote that cheese line in wolf  :imstupid:

ICONIC  :dave:

She also wrote lyrics for "Transformer" and many more~

You slow down, then you speed up~

Iconic lyrics queen  :dave:

#4 wealthyriver

wealthyriver

無責任ヒーロー

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:40 AM (Edited by wealthyriver, 21 May 2016 - 04:41 AM.)

Kenzie's songs are always hit or miss to me (I actually prefer her earlier works), but I can't deny the amount of influential contribution that she's made to SM in particular & KPop in general :rlytearpls: Plus I'm glad we're having a big name who's a woman in this male-dominated industry  :ahmagah:

Here are some of my favorite tracks composed by Kenzie  :derp:

P/S: Isn't Hot Summer the korean cover of a german hit though?

#5 baiichi

baiichi

This is still baii

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:49 AM

Among the great songs, she wrote Wolf  :har:

ICONIC nevertheless  :datass:

#6 blazeaire

blazeaire

🐉권지용🐉

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,630 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:14 AM

Kenzie's songs are always hit or miss to me (I actually prefer her earlier works), but I can't deny the amount of influential contribution that she's made to SM in particular & KPop in general :rlytearpls: Plus I'm glad we're having a big name who's a woman in this male-dominated industry  :ahmagah:

Here are some of my favorite tracks composed by Kenzie  :derp:

Yeah I prefer her earlier stuff too, they were more 'poppy' and had more of a cheerful sound  :rlytearpls:  :chu: 

#7 nhs97

nhs97

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

She wrote so many good songs👍

#8 spar-Q_isme

spar-Q_isme

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:21 AM (Edited by spar-Q_isme, 21 May 2016 - 09:21 AM.)

this one also a hit

kyuhyun-at gwanghwamun

kyuhyun-solo-10.jpg

and this one too

12171_00211.jpg

#9 lweebee

lweebee

Idol

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

I love that you guys think so critically about her work!! For better or worse, I might be one of the few who actually enjoyed the randomness and quirkiness of "Wolf". Although I must agree that her older work shines brighter than anything she's done recently. (except the ones I've listed).

That's the trick with SM credits wise. For those who don't know, here is the song that SM bought for Hot Summer: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=GDbUqDGGtl8

SM is obviously known for buying the rights to all these European and US songs (Hot Summer, I Got A Boy, Electric Shock, Run Devil Run, Juliette and many more). However, the credits for lyrics never really mention the original songwriter or list them under "composer". So in "Hot Summer"'s case, Kenzie acts as a lyricist only. Half of the job is done as there already is a melody to the lyrics but finding the right lyrics on a predefined melody is definitely not an easy work.

Generally a company would submit the original lyrics to one of their many songwriters (which SM has plenty) and move to the next one until they're satisfied with the result. 

It's always insightful to notice how much an original has been changed. "Hot Summer"'s production is pretty much exactly the same beat but SM polished it. Made it a bit poppier, bubblier and overall better engineered. The vocal production is miles better as well (as expected from SM). Kenzie didn't change the melody at all (which is a bit disappointing but Amber's rap adds something fresh. Maybe I should open specific threads about those songs that are bought rather than made in-house.

#10 wealthyriver

wealthyriver

無責任ヒーロー

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:41 PM

Maybe I should open specific threads about those songs that are bought rather than made in-house.

Please do :ahmagah:  I still remember there was a fuss when My Name came out about BoA's Spark suspected of plagiarism, but it turned out that SM had already bought the rights from the original song's (sung by Luis Fonsi) owner  :derp:

#11 tigha293

tigha293

Idol

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

I love that you guys think so critically about her work!! For better or worse, I might be one of the few who actually enjoyed the randomness and quirkiness of "Wolf". Although I must agree that her older work shines brighter than anything she's done recently. (except the ones I've listed).

That's the trick with SM credits wise. For those who don't know, here is the song that SM bought for Hot Summer:

SM is obviously known for buying the rights to all these European and US songs (Hot Summer, I Got A Boy, Electric Shock, Run Devil Run, Juliette and many more). However, the credits for lyrics never really mention the original songwriter or list them under "composer". So in "Hot Summer"'s case, Kenzie acts as a lyricist only. Half of the job is done as there already is a melody to the lyrics but finding the right lyrics on a predefined melody is definitely not an easy work.

Generally a company would submit the original lyrics to one of their many songwriters (which SM has plenty) and move to the next one until they're satisfied with the result.

It's always insightful to notice how much an original has been changed. "Hot Summer"'s production is pretty much exactly the same beat but SM polished it. Made it a bit poppier, bubblier and overall better engineered. The vocal production is miles better as well (as expected from SM). Kenzie didn't change the melody at all (which is a bit disappointing but Amber's rap adds something fresh. Maybe I should open specific threads about those songs that are bought rather than made in-house.

i can make a comparison between her earlier vs recent work but then who am i im merely a listener lol..like,honestly between chocolate love vs devil,i cant say which one is better..i like them all :)

and about the song credit,arrangement etc, again,it's a good read from you :)

#12 Starry Night

Starry Night

Botched Hoe

• PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:05 AM

Maybe I should open specific threads about those songs that are bought rather than made in-house.

Please do I really love knowing about the ppl behind singers success so pls continue with these threads  :rlytearpls:

#13 Kyuflower

Kyuflower

Flower

• PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:51 AM (Edited by Kyuflower, 23 May 2016 - 08:57 AM.)

i like most of her works

anyways she composed these masterpieces too

Up, Up and Away!