OneHallyu

When do you think the retro "trend" in k-pop will end?

____shawnee

41 members have voted

1. 1. Retro K-pop

• Love it
    • Like It
    • Eh
    • No
    • Like it but want more modern songs

K-pop stays stuck in the 80s! It's been a thing for forever but it seems to be especially prominent now.

I think this is why I'm falling out of love with Sweetune. It's getting a bit tired, the electro-pop stuff is at least. Give me more 80s or 90s R&B, yas. 

It's pretty hard to mess up retro...music inspired by the 80's sounds good by principle 

So true 

Why should the trend end when we have Wonder Girls giving us awesome retro inspired songs?  :rlytearpls:

So that WG can stand out more  :) Can't even call them "inspired" though they are just straight up retro

I mean have you heard a lot of US pop lately? ie Meghan Trainor's everything.

If anything I'd say retro sound isn't that particularly prevalent. It exists in some notable cases but if anything, the music type that's been on an upswing is all this 90s anime jpop esque music from girl groups.

So true 

So that WG can stand out more  :) Can't even call them "inspired" though they are just straight up retro

WG stands out just by being WG to me :ilove:  :lol:  :lol:

I just added inspired since some ppl may say some songs aren't as retro as others.

But I remember, reading something completely the opposite about kpop from fangirls especially with a comparison to jpop...

Not saying this bad, I just find this thread ironic after reading so much comments.

I mean have you heard a lot of US pop lately? ie Meghan Trainor's everything.

If anything I'd say retro sound isn't that particularly prevalent. It exists in some notable cases but if anything, the music type that's been on an upswing is all this 90s anime jpop esque music from girl groups.

I don't think it's as prevalent in the U.S. and the references are usually more subtle

Yes it is on an upswing, from a few groups. I think 2016 is a bit less prominent for retro than 2015 and 2014. So far.

Idk, I'm in love with retro & vintage vibes, so it can stay as long as it wants. Aside from the light-hearted, fast-paced inspired retro songs in K-Pop, there's this deep, sexy rawness to the ones that are slower and chill, almost as if you're getting to know that certain artist or idol on a more personal level. It's a nice, refreshing break from the "oh-so cutesy and upbeat" concepts from a few years back.

Extra brownie points to idols & artists who infuse in 90s R&B, too. :stud:

Archived