OneHallyu

Why Fansites Whitewash

____shawnee

This is a really random thread, nothing happened I was just thinking about this...

I'm not a Korean or a fansite so I can't speak for them but this is what I can infer based on my understanding...

The big goal of fansites is to spread love for their idols and attract more fans. This is why they always try to show them in the best light, they only share the best photos and anything that could be negative or used against them they try to hide. 

I think "white-washing" is a part of this, they want to present their idol in the best light so they may edit the photo so that their skin appears lighter. I think telling them to stop doing that could be equivalent to telling a retoucher to not edit out fly-away hairs or odd creases on clothes. It is not a big deal, and to many, it is an improvement.

because light skin is more attractive, at least to me.

Was about to say "here we go again" with foreigners trying to impress their values upon SK, but you actually didn't :')

+1

edit: aaaand negged. that was fast!

i think we can tell them to stop after all they're hiding the real beauty which is their real face real skin and real glow

when we watch our idols in videos being normal we relate and love them more, when we see them without makeup we love them more, when we see them with all their sides the good the bad and the ugly we love them more that's why we appreciate them being dorks and not afraid to mess up once in a while hiding their real skin tone take that away. Korea is already racist so why help spread that? why spread discrimination?

and let's not forget how awful we feel for our idols when their yellow fellow group members make fun of their beautiful dark skin tone

i always feel bad for Kai & N! they always put on a smile but i bet it hurts we shouldn't support that it's not cool.

so yeah we should tell them even if they don't listen at least they know that we don't agree and we love our idols with their real skin white/yellow or black every skin is beautiful heck even if it's green 

you literally just implied that dark skin is a flaw like flyaways and creases.........wyd sis

No I didn't. I implied that it is seen as a flaw by many people. Which is the reality.

Fly-aways and creases are not flaws to everyone either. They are natural and people edit them because they think it makes the photo look better.

MTE

princewtf.gif

^^ this. those things are not equal

Was about to say "here we go again" with foreigners trying to impress their values upon SK, but you actually didn't :')

+1

Have another one.

Once upon a time white is right was a prime value in west too, until we realized it was racist as fuck.

Have another one.

Once upon a time white is right was a prime value in west too, until we realized it was racist as fuck.

Colourism in SK is not the same as colourism in the west, poor comparison.

Colourism in SK is not the same as colourism in the west, poor comparison.

this argument is so annoying because even though they have different origins, korean colorism is often just as white supremacist as 'western' colorism is. koreans love white people lol

+1

you mean like how they're trying to impress their ideals on idols who haven't lightened their skin by lightening it for them? 

How is it not? Please elaborate.

I'm looking for an article I read on this exact topic, but until then have this: (referring to Jonghyun's colourist debacle). Written by a South Korean. It's not "white is right" in Korea, it's "pale = wealthy/beautiful/etc" due to rich folk back in the day being paler because they didn't have to work outside. It's more classist if anything really. Is it still harmful? Yeah. But is it the exact same issue with the exact same context that it has in the west? No. Poor comparison.

Archived