Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Kiwii

☪ Muslim OH! Members Thread

Don't Muslims celebrate Christmas? Jesus is one of our prophets, we just don't hype it up as much as Christians do, so i don't think it's wrong to say Merry Christmas to someone.

Jesus is one of our prophet, that's correct :)

Christmas is celebrated because according to Christianity, Jesus was born as Gods son that day. In Islam, it's the sin called Shirk (I wrote about it a few pages ago), which is the biggest and unforgivable sin. Long story short, Shirk is putting someone or something next to God i.e polytheism. We, muslims, do not worship other than God (hence we say: "La illaha ila Allah" -> There is no other than God) so saying something like Jesus is Gods son is haram!! Because there is only God and no other is derserving of being put up in such pedestal (like Christians do with Jesus).

I know thar if some muslims said it, it wasn't due to ill intention. Like, I'm pretty sure no muslims think Jesus is Gods son, but it's just those small things as muslims we have to take of.

edit: I also want to add this: (long)

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs

is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim said in Ahkaam Ahl al-

Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to

them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their

festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy

your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from

kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for

prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that.

It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or

murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of

those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do

not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a

person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the

wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the

extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or

approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those

things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr

or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept

any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): " If you

disbelieve — indeed, Allah is Free from need of you. And He does not

approve for His servants disbelief. And if you are grateful, He approves [i.e.

likes] it for you. . ." [Quran 39:7]

". . . This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor

upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. . ." [al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues

at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not

respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not

festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations

in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed

formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which

Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to

the whole of mankind. Allaah Says (what means): " And whoever desires

other than Islam as religion-never will it be accepted from him, and he, in

the Hereafter, will be among the losers. " [Quran 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions,

because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part

in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties

on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or

taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of

Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them."

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-

mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of

their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and

practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity

to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of

politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for

whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because

it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their

religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them

victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

cr: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=156439

Edited by Vero Moda
  • Like 6

Christmas is celebrated because according to Christianity, Jesus was born as God's son

That's not true. Christmas is celebrated because Jesus was born. Period. (I know what Shirk is, im Muslim lol, but no one is saying Jesus is God's son (istagfurallah), they're just saying merry christmas)

It may be haram to say merry christmas if you're thinking about it the same way the Christians are, but i dont think it is shirk to acknowledge that one of our prophets was born that day or near that day. Merry is happy, christmas is 'day jesus was born', so basically you're saying happy day that jesus was born, and there is nothing wrong with that. But i wouldnt really say it, because it might be taken the wrong way. But if im obviously Muslim, im not saying anything wrong or saying i dont believe in God (Istagfurallah) just by saying that. Christmas doesnt belong only to Christians, it is the day that Jesus, Isa (SAW), was born. We dont really celebrate because most Muslims dont celebrate birthdays of anyone, but some hang reefs and stuff. It's not that big of a deal to us, but i dont think its haram to acknowledge that Isa (SAW) was born that day.

So i guess most Muslims dont say merry christmas or have big holidays, but it is okay to acknowledge the day, correct? :smile:

Edited by Blinket

That's not true. Christmas is celebrated because Jesus was born. Period. (I know what Shirk is, im Muslim lol, but no one is saying Jesus is God's son (istagfurallah), they're just saying merry christmas)

It may be haram to say merry christmas if you're thinking about it the same way the Christians are, but i dont think it is shirk to acknowledge that one of our prophets was born that day or near that day. Merry is happy, christmas is 'day jesus was born', so basically you're saying happy day that jesus was born, and there is nothing wrong with that. But i wouldnt really say it, because it might be taken the wrong way. But if im obviously Muslim, im not saying anything wrong or saying i dont believe in God (Istagfurallah) just by saying that. Christmas doesnt belong only to Christians, it is the day that Jesus, Isa (SAW), was born. We dont really celebrate because most Muslims dont celebrate birthdays of anyone, but some hang reefs and stuff. It's not that big of a deal to us, but i dont think its haram to acknowledge that Isa (SAW) was born that day.

So i guess most Muslims dont say merry christmas or have big holidays, but it is okay to acknowledge the day, correct? :smile:

First of all, about the bold part: Yes and no. These days Christmas has become a tradition more than a religous celebration right? However, it IS a Christian holiday. True, our prophet Isa was born on that day, but we don't or never did celebrate our prophets birthdays thus this holiday is not ours. And yes, our prophet was born on this day, but again this is a Christian belief and according to Christian Jesus was born on this day too BUT he was born as Gods son. It's true that they don't exactly celebrate him as Gods son, but when he was born that day - he was born as Gods son (Istagfurallah).

I'm sorry, I don't know if it's okay to acknowledge. But I hoped my answer helped haha :)

I saw a lot of my muslim friends on facebook writing "Merry Christmas" and such a while ago so I did a lot of research and just came to this conclusion that muslims can only celebrate our two holidays (which is the Eids) and saying merry christmas is haram because you're congratulating the kufr on their belief. It was a little hard for me, because I live in an European country where 95% of my classmates are non-muslims and celebrate Christmas. They invited me to Christmas and such but I just said I had to visit my other family haha. It's kind of tough, because I don't want to seem rude so when Christmas holiday is up I'm just going to say: "Gonna miss you all!" so I wont sound rude lol.

• Like 3

No point in saying 'Merry Christmas' or celebrating it (as you said) and no point in even acknowledging it.

There's no proof in history that Jesus was born 25th December, or even in the winter lol it's pagan, a pagan celebration that Christianity had adopted.

Edited by Qui

No point in saying 'Merry Christmas' or celebrating it (as you said) and no point in even acknowledging it.

There's no proof in history that Jesus was born 25th December, or even in the winter lol it's pagan, a pagan celebration that Christianity had adopted.

I said or around that date...

i also heard that in some arab countries they hang reefs around that time...

Also, there may not be a point in celebrating or acknowledging it, i just dont think its haraam to do so

First of all, about the bold part: Yes and no. These days Christmas has become a tradition more than a religous celebration right? However, it IS a Christian holiday. True, our prophet Isa was born on that day, but we don't or never did celebrate our prophets birthdays thus this holiday is not ours. And yes, our prophet was born on this day, but again this is a Christian belief and according to Christian Jesus was born on this day too BUT he was born as Gods son. It's true that they don't exactly celebrate him as Gods son, but when he was born that day - he was born as Gods son (Istagfurallah).

I'm sorry, I don't know if it's okay to acknowledge. But I hoped my answer helped haha :)

I saw a lot of my muslim friends on facebook writing "Merry Christmas" and such a while ago so I did a lot of research and just came to this conclusion that muslims can only celebrate our two holidays (which is the Eids) and saying merry christmas is haram because you're congratulating the kufr on their belief. It was a little hard for me, because I live in an European country where 95% of my classmates are non-muslims and celebrate Christmas. They invited me to Christmas and such but I just said I had to visit my other family haha. It's kind of tough, because I don't want to seem rude so when Christmas holiday is up I'm just going to say: "Gonna miss you all!" so I wont sound rude lol.

Yea but only Christians celebrate it as if he was born as "god's son", we dont have to believe that or think that when Muslims says merry christmas (isnt this kind of stuff judged on what the person's intention was?)... its just a phrase/not a bad phrase, and it doesnt mean anything haraam at all... Thats all im trying to say.

You were asking, what do you think about Muslims saying merry christmas and i dont think its haraam or shirk, thats all lol.

Idk though, maybe you're right, allahooh ahlam... i never said it anyways lol :smile:

Btw where r u guys from? Does it say it in the OP?

Also has anyone been to hajj and wanna share their experience? :ninja:

just casually sneaking topics in here

Edited by Blinket

backtracking, don't mind my late late response ><;;

but do you mean Qaf? the land of jinn?

It cannot be the land of Jinn, but the creation as sign of the growing Jinn on our Planet... I'm assuming. Like I was saying, it's all vague, and I am limited with how far I can read the Qur'an.

= = =

QUESTION: Islam and Psychics, what does God say?

Is connecting to The Spirit World haram?

Edited by Psy

I'm British but I'm from Saudi Arabia & Yemen. I've never been to hajj :cry: I've gone umrah SO many times though, I can't even count. I go there whenever I go on holiday to my hometown, Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. Usually on the last few days of my holiday I visit Makkah & Madinah.

It cannot be the land of Jinn, but the creation as sign of the growing Jinn on our Planet... I'm assuming. Like I was saying, it's all vague, and I am limited with how far I can read the Qur'an.

= = =

QUESTION: Islam and Psychics, what does God say?

Is connecting to The Spirit World haram?

I don't understand your first line but we believe Jinns made of fire live among us. It's just that we can't see them. There are good jinns & bad jinns who eat, drink etc

Connecting to the Spirit World? Jinns, you mean? No, we're advised not to. We have our own worlds that we believe have been kept separate on purpose. The purpose? Only Allah knows. We do believe in possession though, as in a Jinn (usually a bad jinn) can consume a human body. And then Muslim exorcists (Ruqya) have to rid the jinn away with Quran/holy water (zamzam). I've seen and have heard about some people who've been possessed, get ruqya done, then become all better. It's scary. I hate talking about jinns tbh. Talk about goosebumps :blush: We also believe witchcraft/black magic exists. Again, it's haraam.

Edited by Qui

I don't understand your first line but we believe Jinns made of fire live among us. It's just that we can't see them. There are good jinns & bad jinns who eat, drink etc

Connecting to the Spirit World? Jinns, you mean? No, we're advised not to. We have our own worlds that we believe have been kept separate on purpose. The purpose? Only Allah knows. We do believe in possession though, as in a Jinn (usually a bad jinn) can consume a human body. And then Muslim exorcists (Ruqya) have to rid the jinn away with Quran/holy water (zamzam). I've seen and have heard about some people who've been possessed, get ruqya done, then become all better. It's scary. I hate talking about jinns tbh. Talk about goosebumps :blush: We also believe witchcraft/black magic exists. Again, it's haraam.

I thought Jinn was a state, and not a being. It's my first time finding the word "good" attached to Jinn - can you explain.

I mean Angels.

Jinn is corruption, and does not belong in The Spirit World. Psychics can access the "other world" for information etc. Haram or not? Why?

jinn are the only other entities Allah(swt) created with free will... there certainly is a good jinn, some even practice Islam. during sulaiman's(alaihis salaam)time, his people used to summon them until it was outlawed. this is what I was taught tho.

http://quran.com/72

Edited by Filet-O-Aya

I thought Jinn was a state, and not a being. It's my first time finding the word "good" attached to Jinn - can you explain.

I mean Angels.

Jinn is corruption, and does not belong in The Spirit World. Psychics can access the "other world" for information etc. Haram or not? Why?

They're like creatures, with physical features etc. Allah gave them free will like humans, therefore there's good and bad jinns. Unlike the Angels who have no free will and obey Allah. Some jinns also believe in Islam. Muhammed (pbuh) and the other Prophets (peace be upon them) were sent to both mankind and jinn. Like us, they'll be judged on the Day of Judgement and will either be sent to Heaven or Hell according to their deeds. 

Psychics can't access the other world for information. All information about them was told either from the Quran or from Muhammed's (pbuh) teachings. There's a whole chapter in the Quran about the jinns. Suratul Jinn (vid below). They're also mentioned throughout the Quran in other chapters. I hope I answered your questions >.< 

Edited by Qui

psychics cant access the other world, but jinn(or satan?) can. psychics made agreement with jinn/satan, and jinn/satan stole some information from the other world to be told to psychics. thats what my teacher said about psychics.

the spirit world consist of jinns, satans, and angels. and as qui said, there is 'good' and 'bad' jinn.

Edited by mae

Also, there may not be a point in celebrating or acknowledging it, i just dont think its haraam to do so

Yea but only Christians celebrate it as if he was born as "god's son", we dont have to believe that or think that when Muslims says merry christmas (isnt this kind of stuff judged on what the person's intention was?)... its just a phrase/not a bad phrase, and it doesnt mean anything haraam at all... Thats all im trying to say.

You were asking, what do you think about Muslims saying merry christmas and i dont think its haraam or shirk, thats all lol.

Idk though, maybe you're right, allahooh ahlam... i never said it anyways lol :smile:

I don't say it either (anymore), just to be on the safe side lol xD

I was born & live in Denmark now, but I'm Palestine from Lebanon (if that makes sense lol)

I've never been to Hajj :( Inshallah one day

Hi! Asalamu alaykum :D I'll try hehe

Walaykum al salam! Thanks for adding me :D

Don't Muslims celebrate Christmas? Jesus is one of our prophets, we just don't hype it up as much as Christians do, so i don't think it's wrong to say Merry Christmas to someone.

Christmas is celebrated because according to Christianity, Jesus was born as Gods son that day. In Islam, it's the sin called Shirk (I wrote about it a few pages ago), which is the biggest and unforgivable sin. Long story short, Shirk is putting someone or something next to God i.e polytheism. We, muslims, do not worship other than God (hence we say: "La illaha ila Allah" -> There is no other than God) so saying something like Jesus is Gods son is haram!! Because there is only God and no other is derserving of being put up in such pedestal (like Christians do with Jesus).

I know thar if some muslims said it, it wasn't due to ill intention. Like, I'm pretty sure no muslims think Jesus is Gods son, but it's just those small things as muslims we have to take of.

edit: I also want to add this: (long)

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs

is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim said in Ahkaam Ahl al-

Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to

them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their

festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy

your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from

kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for

prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that.

It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or

murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of

those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do

not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a

person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the

wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the

extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or

approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those

things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr

or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept

any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): " If you

disbelieve — indeed, Allah is Free from need of you. And He does not

approve for His servants disbelief. And if you are grateful, He approves [i.e.

likes] it for you. . ." [Quran 39:7]

". . . This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor

upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. . ." [al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues

at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not

respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not

festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations

in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed

formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which

Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to

the whole of mankind. Allaah Says (what means): " And whoever desires

other than Islam as religion-never will it be accepted from him, and he, in

the Hereafter, will be among the losers. " [Quran 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions,

because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part

in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties

on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or

taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of

Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them."

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-

mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of

their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and

practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity

to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of

politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for

whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because

it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their

religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them

victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

cr: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=156439

I ask about that 'cause there are some opinion who you can say that and not 'cause it's shirk like what you said.

I knew christmas is just culture from paganism. but christian celebrate it every year. one of my friend didn't agree to say 'merry christmas'. But one of "ustadz' told me you can say it cause of tolerence and as long as you didn't knowledge it and celebrate it, just give congratulation. that's all. 

Psychics can use medium to access the Spirit World...

... and thanks for the replies.

Edited by Psy

"Who's the most deserving of my fine treatment?"

Muhammad SAW replied:"Your Mother, your mother, your mother & your father." [Al-Bukhari]

Happy Mother's Day 

WHERE YOU GUYS AT? :(

Some of my favourite verses in the Qur'an:

La tahzan, innallaha ma'ana ♥

tumblr_mu9acapCH41rxelooo1_r1_500.gif

Surah Al Furqan 25:54

tumblr_mve0iqyXku1sgkk4zo1_500.gif

You should make the topic like I said before. How about the forbidden about use hijab for women in some county or some job? I want to know all of your opinion. Today is Mother's day in my country. so I want some theme about mother or women.

Actually I've been long wanting to ask opinions from muslim (especially women) about the different roles in marriage.

(This is long)

The Islamic Sharee'ah stresses that the wife is under the obligation of obeying her husband. This remains unless he commands her to disobey Allaah

The Exalted. She is required to

obey him and exert her utmost effort to fulfill his needs in a way that makes him satisfied

and thankful. This is supported by the Hadeeth where the Prophet, , said :“If the woman performs the five daily prayers, fasts the month of Ramadan, maintains her chastity and obeys her husband, she will enter the Paradise of her

Lord.†Likewise, Allaah The Exalted Says (what means): { But if they obey

you [once more], seek no means against them. } [Quran 4:34] Moreover,

the Prophet, , said: “Were I to order anyone to prostrate himself before anyone else, I would have ordered the woman to prostrate

herself before her husband.â€

Obedience is the first right that Islam acknowledges for the husband over his wife. She is required to obey him in everything unless he

commands her to do an act of disobedience. The Prophet, , said: “No creature should be obeyed when it comes to disobeying the

Creator.â€

Consequently, she is required to obey him when he commands, fulfill his request when he orders, abstain when he forbids and respond when

he advises. If he commands her not to allow a certain person, whether he is a relative or not, a Mahram or non- Mahram , to enter his home

when he is absent, she is required to obey him. The Messenger of Allaah, , said: “Indeed, you have a right over your wives, and your

wives have a right over you. As for the right that you have over them, it

is to disallow anyone whom you dislike to enter your houses.â€

Obeying the Husband is Equal to Jihaad

There are many Sharee'ah texts indicating the greatness of the husband's right over his wife. In a Hadeeth on the authority of Ibn

‘Abbaas it was mentioned that a woman came to the Prophet, ,

and said, “ O Messenger of Allaah, I am a delegate [from a group of]

women and there are none of them, whether she knows or does not

know that I would come to you, except she would want me to come to

you. Allaah The Almighty is the Lord of both men and women and their

God, and you are the Messenger of Allaah, for both men and women.

Allaah has prescribed Jihaad for men only; if they are victorious, their

reward is great, and if they die as martyrs, they are alive with their Lord, receiving sustenance. [For women], which act of obedience is equal in reward to this?†The Messenger of Allaah, , replied:

“Obeying their husbands and (being aware of and) fulfilling their rights; and few of you do that.†[At-Tabaraani and ‘Abdul-Raaziq] Here, the

Messenger of Allaah, , equated the reward of making Jihaad to that of the wife obeying her husband.

Obedient Wives

The wife who knows her religious duties towards her husband is fully aware of the importance of obeying her husband. Mrs. Maha Jaabir

says, “In order to provide the family with an atmosphere of security,

protection, stability and affection, the wife is required to obey her husband in everything that is useful and beneficial. This would help to

create sound humans who would go through life far removed from disturbances or imbalances. In return, Islam gave the woman her full

right and made it obligatory on the husband to honor his wife,

safeguard her rights and provide an honorable life for her in order to be

obedient and loving."

Mrs. Khadeejah Hijaazi says,

One may find obedience a heavy burden; however, the wife is rewarded according to the extent of her readiness to be

obedient and her sincerity in fulfilling the obligations of such obedience. The Messenger of Allaah, , praised women and

clarified that the services they perform and the sacrifices they make in terms of their emotions and energies can be made by

no one else. They were created to perform a sublime and important duty, and in return Allaah The Exalted Has prepared a

great reward for them. This reward would not be completed except with the wife’s obedience to her husband, satisfying him

and avoiding what he dislikes.

Mrs. Hanaa‘ As-Saalih says, “The man is in charge of the family. He takes care of it and observes the morals of its members and its affairs.

Hence, all the members of the family are required to obey him. He is charged with the burdens of the family and working to provide for it

and fulfill its needs. In this way, the family is organized on the basis

that there is a caretaker and a commander, on one hand, and subjects

who listen and obey on the other.â€

However, the obedience that is obligatory on the wife to her husband is

not blind obedience or obedience without restrictions, conditions or

limits. Rather, it is the obedience of the righteous wife to the righteous

and pious husband whose personality she trusts and believes in his

sincerity and righteousness.

Obedience that is based on consultation

and mutual understanding promotes the entity of the family and its

conditions and reinforces its foundations and strength.

The spouses are advised to consult each other with regard to all family

affairs. Indeed, there is no consultant better than a faithful and

truthful wife. She supports her husband, guides him with her emotions,

protects him with her instinct and provides him with her opinion. The

Messenger of Allaah, , would consult his wives and follow their

opinion in important matters. He consulted his wife, Umm Salamah

in a most critical situation. Her consultation and wise opinion were

important in putting an end to that crisis and returning matters to

normality.

The wife is financially independent from the husband. Islam has protected woman’s

independent personality and ensured her full capability to be financially independent

from her husband.

The husband is financially fully responsible for his wife. Poor or rich, her living costs

are estimated in proportion to her husband's financial ability. The Qur'an puts it thus:"

Let the rich man spend according to his means". (Surah 65:7).

He is obliged to provide her with food, clothes, a place to live and medical treatment

according to his environment, conditions and income. Muslim scholars said that if a

man does not support his wife financially then she has the right for a divorce.

The Prophet, greetings and peace be upon him, said stating the rights of women, "You

are obliged to provide them with food and clothes honourably". Honourably here means

what is conventional according to people of faith and honour, without extravagance or

meanness.

( Transmitted by Abu Dawud (1905); Ibn Majah (3074); Al-Doramy in Kittab Al-Mannish

p.440 on the authority of Jabber; Ahmad 5/73 on the authority of Abu Gara Al-Raqashi's

uncle.)

This is ofc not all, but it's late and I'm tired haha.

I want to adress this misunderstood issue in Islam: wifw beating. But I feel like my post has gotten too long.

source: http://www.alsiraj.net/English/misc/women/html/page14.html and http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=articles&id=149397

• Like 1

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you placed in us, and we

implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

The verse you mentioned has been greatly misconceived by many people who focus merely on

its surface meaning, taking it to allow wife beating. When the setting is not taken into account,

it isolates the words in a way that distorts or falsifies the original meaning. Before dealing with

the issue of wife-battering in the perspective of Islam, we should keep in mind that the original

Arabic wording of the Holy Quran is the only authentic source of meaning. If one relies on the

translation alone, one is likely to misunderstand it.

Commenting on this issue, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of

North America, states:

"According to Quran the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on

mutual love and kindness. Allah says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you

mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love

and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (Quran: Ar-Rum

21)

The Holy Quran urges husbands to treat their wives with kindness. (In the event of a family dispute, Quran exhorts the husband to treat his wife kindly and not to overlook her positive aspects). Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a

dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal

of good.†(Quran: An-Nisaa 19)

It is important that a wife recognizes the authority of her husband in the house. He is the head

of the household, and she is supposed to listen to him. But the husband should also use his

authority with respect and kindness towards his wife. If there arises any disagreement or

dispute among them, then it should be resolved in a peaceful manner. Spouses should seek the

counsel of their elders and other respectable family members and friends to batch up the rift

and solve the differences.

However, in some cases a husband may use some light disciplinary action in order to correct

the moral infraction of his wife, but this is only applicable in extreme cases and it should be

resorted to if one is sure it would improve the situation. However, if there is a fear that it

might worsen the relationship or may wreak havoc on him or the family, then he should avoid

it completely.

Quran is very clear on this issue. Almighty Allah says: "Men are the protectors and maintainers

of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they

support them from their means. Therefore, the righteous women are devoutly obedient and

guard in the husband's absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on

whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share

their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them

means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach

between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If

they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is

acquainted with all things." (Quran: An-Nisaa 34-35)

It is important to read the section fully. One should not take part of the verse and use it to

justify one's own misconduct. This verse neither permits violence nor condones it. It guides us

to ways to handle delicate family situation with care and wisdom. The word "beating" is used in

the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse".

The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) explained it "dharban

ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". He further said that face must

be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak,

or toothbrush.

Generally, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to discourage his followers from taking even this

measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do

not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and

said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace

(sleep with) her?†(Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43)

It is also important to note that even this "light strike" mentioned in the verse is not to be used

to correct some minor problem, but it is permissible to resort to only in a situation of some

serious moral misconduct when admonishing the wife fails, and avoiding from sleeping with

her would not help. If this disciplinary action can correct a situation and save the marriage,

then one should use it."

Dr. Jamal Badawi, professor at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and a

cross-appointed faculty member in the Departments of Religious Studies and Management,

adds:

"If the problem relates to the wife's behavior, the husband may exhort her and appeal for

reason. In most cases, this measure is likely to be sufficient. In cases where the problem

persists, the husband may express his displeasure in another peaceful manner, by sleeping in a

separate bed from hers. There are cases, however, in which a wife persists in bad habits and

showing contempt of her husband and disregard for her marital obligations. Instead of divorce,

the husband may resort to another measure that may save the marriage, at least in some

cases. Such a measure is more accurately described as a gentle tap on the body, but never on

the face, making it more of a symbolic measure than a punitive one.

It must be seen as a rare exception to the repeated exhortation of mutual respect, kindness

and good treatment. Based on Quran and Hadith, this measure may be used in the cases of

lewdness on the part of the wife or extreme refraction and rejection of the husband's

reasonable requests on a consistent basis (nushuz). Even then, other measures, such as

exhortation, should be tried first.

b. As defined by Hadith, it is not permissible to strike anyone's face, cause any bodily harm or

even be harsh. What the Hadith qualifies as "dharban ghayra mubarrih", or light striking, was

interpreted by early jurists as a (symbolic) use of siwak! They further qualified permissible

"striking" as that which leaves no mark on the body.

c . The permissibility of such symbolic expression of the seriousness of continued refraction

does not imply its desirability. In several Hadiths, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) discouraged this

measure. Here are some of his sayings in this regard:

"Do not beat the female servants of Allah";

"Some (women) visited my family complaining about their husbands (beating them). These

(husbands) are not the best of you."

In another Hadith the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) is reported to have said: “How does anyone of you

beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then he may embrace (sleep with) her?â€

d. True following of the Sunnah is to follow the example of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) who never

resorted to that measure, regardless of the circumstances.

e. Islamic teachings are universal in nature. They respond to the needs and circumstances of

diverse times, cultures and circumstances. Some measures may work in some cases and

cultures or with certain persons but may not be effective in others. By definition, a

"permissible" act is neither required, encouraged or forbidden. In fact it may be to spell out

the extent of permissibility, such as in the issue at hand, rather than leaving it unrestricted or

unqualified, or ignoring it all together. In the absence of strict qualifiers, persons may

interpret the matter in their own way, which can lead to excesses and real abuse.

f . Any excess, cruelty, family violence, or abuse committed by any "Muslim" can never be

traced, honestly, to any revelatory text (Quran or Hadith). Such excesses and violations are to

be blamed on the person (s) himself, as it shows that they are paying lip service to Islamic

teachings and injunctions and failing to follow the true Sunnah of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.)."

Allah Almighty knows best.

I wanted to share this with you, because I feel like this is a very misunderstood subject. In Islam, wife "beating" simply means a "gently tap." Nothing more, nothing less. You can't cause any physical harm in the face or in the body, so no bruises. Also this type of measure should only be used in extreme.situations. Many scholars agree that the it should feel like being hit by a tooth brush. Our Prophet Muhammed (SAW) discouraged his followers in "beating" their wife and he never once hit a wom

• Like 3

^ thank you so much hun for clearing it all up, I get so frustrated when non-muslims bring up this particular topic. They misinterpret verses to fit their opinions.

Have you seen this video vero moda?

AMAZING.

• Like 1

I think the culture is one of factors that make misunderstanding to non-muslim (even to muslim from other ethnic or country) and then the interpretation of language tend to be different.

thanks for the post vero moda. I can't comment much and quote 'cause I'm by phone. :)

• Like 1

Hey Im NEW here 

& Im Muslimah ♥ 

• Like 1

Ahlan wa sahlan, hope you enjoy OneHallyu :chu:  Added you to the Muslim list on the first page! 

Thank you Okhti ♥ ^^ Inshallah ♥ ^^

^ thank you so much hun for clearing it all up, I get so frustrated when non-muslims bring up this particular topic. They misinterpret verses to fit their opinions.

Have you seen this video vero moda?

AMAZING.

YES. I absolutely adore this guy. His videos are amazing.