renn

수고했다

• Smol Overlord
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

刘庭羽 & 陆昱霖 - 不悔 | No regret

Theme song for the drama 《后宫》.

Lyrics: 沈永峰 (Shen Yongfeng)
Composition: 林海 (Lin Hai), 王梓桐 (Wang Zitong)
Arrangement: 林海 (Lin Hai), 王梓桐 (Wang Zitong)

Lyrics translation by renn at www.onehallyu.com
JpLeu62.png

NB: [M] = male / 陆昱霖 (Lu Yulin); [F] = female / 刘庭羽 (Liu Tingyu)

[M]
夕阳里 送你
绿罗衣 年年芳草萋萋
难相聚 何苦相遇
咫尺近恨无只言片语

[M]
xī yáng lǐ   sòng nǐ
lǜ luó yī   nián nián fāng cǎo qī qī
nán xiāng jù   hé kǔ xiāng yù
zhǐ chǐ jìn hèn wú zhī yán piàn yǔ

[M]
In the sunset, I send you off.
[Dressed in your] green silk robes, [you're like] the lush fragrant grass[1] [that grows back] year after year.
Since it's so hard to be together, why did we go through the trouble of meeting one another?
We are mere inches apart[2], but [I] hate how we [don't/can't even trade] a few words.

[F]
遇见你 天意
更漏孤眠枕上听梧桐夜雨
心相印 风露宵立
月如水吹落梅花曲

[F]
yù jiàn nǐ   tiān yì
gèng lòu gū mián zhěn shàng tīng wú tóng yè yǔ
xīn xiāng yìn   fēng lù xiāo lì
yuè rú shuǐ chuī luò méi huā qǔ

[F]
It is heaven's will that I met you.
At night[3], I sleep alone. With my head against the pillow, I listen to [the rustling of] the parasol trees [and] the nighttime rain.
We are kindred spirits[4]; we stand outside in the middle of the night, braving the elements[5].
The moon is like water, playing a song of falling plum blossoms.

[M] 春风沉醉吹不展愁眉
[F] 梦里有你梦醒谁来相依偎
[M] 相思一夜行遍千江水
[F] 天若有情天要作证终不悔

[M] chūn fēng chén zuì chuī bù zhǎn chóu méi
[F] mèng lǐ yǒu nǐ mèng xǐng shéi lái xiāng yī wēi
[M] xiāng sī yī yè xíng biàn qiān jiāng shuǐ
[F] tiān ruò yǒu qíng tiān yào zuò zhèng zhōng bù huǐ

[M] The spring wind is intoxicating [but] it cannot smooth out [my] furrowed brows.
[F] You're in my dream [so] when I wake from that dream, who can I closely lean against?
[M] [After] a night of thinking of each other, [we've] travelled over a thousand rivers.
[F] If the heavens are kind, then the heavens shall bear witness: in the end, [we] hold no regret.

[F]
遇见你 天意
更漏孤眠枕上听梧桐夜雨
[F/M]
心相印 风露宵立
月如水吹落梅花曲

[F]
yù jiàn nǐ   tiān yì
gèng lòu gū mián zhěn shàng tīng wú tóng yè yǔ
[F/M]
xīn xiāng yìn   fēng lù xiāo lì
yuè rú shuǐ chuī luò méi huā qǔ

[F]
It is heaven's will that I met you.
At night, I sleep alone. With my head against the pillow, I listen to [the rustling of] the parasol trees [and] the nighttime rain.
We are kindred spirits; we stand outside in the middle of the night, braving the elements.
The moon is like water, playing a song of falling plum blossoms.

[M] 春风沉醉吹不展愁眉
[F] 梦里有你梦醒谁来相依偎
[M] 相思一夜行遍千江水
[F] 天若有情天要作证终不悔

[F] mèng lǐ yǒu nǐ mèng xǐng shéi lái xiāng yī wēi
[F] tiān ruò yǒu qíng tiān yào zuò zhèng zhōng bù huǐ

[M] The spring wind is intoxicating [but] it cannot smooth out [my] furrowed brows.
[F] You're in my dream [so] when I wake from that dream, who can I closely lean against?
[M] [After] a night of thinking of each other, [we've] travelled over a thousand rivers.
[F] If the heavens are kind, then the heavens shall bear witness: in the end, [we] hold no regret.

[M] 春风沉醉吹不展愁眉
[F] 醒也莫问醉也莫问归不归
[M] 相思一夜行遍千江水
[F] 生也为你死也为你独憔悴

[F] xǐng yě mò wèn zuì yě mò wèn guī bù guī
[F] shēng yě wèi nǐ sǐ yě wèi nǐ dú qiáo cuì

[F] Whether [I'm] sober or drunk, I won't ask if [you're] coming back.
[F] Whether in life or in death, I worry myself only for you.

T/N:

[1] 芳草 is literally "fragrant grass" and figuratively "someone who is loyal/steadfast/virtuous".

[2] 咫尺 is literally 咫 = "8 inches", 尺 = "10 inches" (by the standard held during the Zhou Dynasty). It is also part of an idiom, 咫尺天涯, which juxtaposes "a short distance apart" with "poles apart", meaning two people are in close proximity but live as if they are on opposite sides of the planet.

[3] 更漏 is literally a water clock used to measure time; by extension, it can refer more specifically to the night hours.

[4] This is the shortened form of the idiom: 心心相印. It describes the mutual affinity between two people who know and understand each other very well.

[5] I don't know the original source of the lyricist's idea for 风露宵立 (not an idiom) but there is a Qing Dynasty poem that is a likely candidate:

几回花下坐吹箫,银汉红墙入望遥。
似此星辰非昨夜,为谁风露立中宵。
缠绵思尽抽残茧,宛转心上剥后蕉。
三五十年三五月,可怜杯酒不曾消。

Note the second line in bold, which roughly translates to "The stars still look the way they did then but it is no longer yesterday night / So for whom am I braving the elements and standing outside in the middle of the night?"

#2 gayness

gayness

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • LocationEn La Butthole

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

the TVB drama No Regrets was amazing ;-;

#3 mystiqurez

mystiqurez

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Thank you so much for the very detailed translation!  I really, really appreciate the effort you put into the T/N part too  :stare:

#4 renn

renn

수고했다

• Smol Overlord
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

the TVB drama No Regrets was amazing ;-;

This is from another drama called "The Emperor's Harem" though..? xD;;

Thank you so much for the very detailed translation!  I really, really appreciate the effort you put into the T/N part too  :stare:

You're welcome! :smile:

Non-contemporary styles of Chinese writing tend to be rather poetic and dense in meaning, very metaphorical, many allusions and double entendres. I personally find it quite neat to tease out the details.

Up, Up and Away!