Music Producer EDM

165 replies to this topic

#1 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationMonstercat Headquarters, Vancouver

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:21 AM (Edited by DECAYYY, 08 February 2016 - 05:34 AM.)

Welcome to the OH Music Producers Thread!

This is a place to discuss anything about the wonders of making music!
You can share your production tips as well as get tips from others!

Share your songs and we could give our insights to it, and who knows, a collaboration could form in here!

I find it hard to communicate with the producers here, so I hope this is a great thread to find some hidden talent!

-

For the newcomers, I will give an insight about myself.
I'm a Music Producer who mainly produces songs within the Electronic Dance Music(EDM) category.
Don't be shy if you're down for a collab, I'm always happy to help with your tracks!
Currently, I'm working on a 4 track EP called DISCOVERY!

#2 CarlosA

CarlosA

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  • Locationin JYP

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:38 AM

Ohhh i will follow this..!  :lol:  :lol:

#3 B.B.H

B.B.H

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:56 AM

At Last !
original.gif

#4 Sooyoung's Wife

Sooyoung's Wife

fight me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationHure für meine Frau ♡

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:11 AM (Edited by Sooyoung's Wife, 08 February 2016 - 04:11 AM.)

wait oop

#5 jooyoungsbae

jooyoungsbae

♔jooyoung's publicist♔

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,675 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:22 AM (Edited by jooyoungsbae, 08 February 2016 - 05:22 AM.)

!!! i want to start learning but i dont know how :/ 

any tips? (im interested in r&b type music)

#6 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:30 AM (Edited by DECAYYY, 08 February 2016 - 05:36 AM.)

First thing is to get a music software that allows you to make music. Your best choice would be FL Studio. It is very easy to learn how to make music with it since it's very user friendly. Ableton and other softwares are harder to learn.

When making music, you need to know how to make melodies, if you cannot come up with your own melodies then it would be quite difficult to make music.

There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube, you do need to be specific on what kind of tips you want for eg. 'how do I sidechain?'

I mostly learned how to make music by teaching myself (messing around with the software) and a few of my producer friends gave tips. It takes time to be very good, so don't rush. You need to have patience when producing music. The longest is at least a month for a perfect track.

#7 ImDaOne

ImDaOne

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationIN YOUR UNDERWEAR(Don't check it please, i might get scared)

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:28 PM (Edited by BruhWhat, 08 February 2016 - 12:32 PM.)

First and foremost, get a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation): FL Studio, Pro Tools and Ableton are considered the hardest yet most practical most used, i'd recommend FL bc there's a huge community and it's the most friendly with plugins, etc. It may confuse you at first but once u get used to it, it just comes out naturally

Learn the basics about it: patterns, mixer, loops, etc, etc, etc. I learned all by myself so it's most definitely that hard and i swear the only tutorial i used was how to input the microphone lol, i'm stupid sorry i know it

get plugins to help you in your work like Sylenth1, NI Massive and RefX Nexus and some helpful soundbanks and presets if you don't learn to make your own sounds. Because i honestly think the default ones are not that good except for Sakura and Toxic Biohazard, the mixer plugins are really good though

You will also eventually want to use virtual instruments for R&B so getting Kontakt will help you (it's free)

And sample libraries for Kicks, Claps, SFX, Hats, etc ofc

I never learned much of music theory(although i'm planning to do) so don't worry about that

study your genre, listen to it a lot, analyze the songs and its elements, and then make your own song with your own sound and style

also it seems like this thread is perfect for asking help, i'm hella amateur imho even if i've been into this for 3 years, so anyways

#8 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

First and foremost, get a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation): FL Studio, Pro Tools and Ableton are considered the hardest yet most practical most used, i'd recommend FL bc there's a huge community and it's the most friendly with plugins, etc. It may confuse you at first but once u get used to it, it just comes out naturally

Learn the basics about it: patterns, mixer, loops, etc, etc, etc. I learned all by myself so it's most definitely that hard and i swear the only tutorial i used was how to input the microphone lol, i'm stupid sorry i know it

get plugins to help you in your work like Sylenth1, NI Massive and RefX Nexus and some helpful soundbanks and presets if you don't learn to make your own sounds. Because i honestly think the default ones are not that good except for Sakura and Toxic Biohazard, the mixer plugins are really good though
You will also eventually want to use virtual instruments for R&B so getting Kontakt will help you (it's free)
And sample libraries for Kicks, Claps, SFX, Hats, etc ofc

I never learned much of music theory(although i'm planning to do) so don't worry about that

study your genre, listen to it a lot, analyze the songs and its elements, and then make your own song with your own sound and style

also it seems like this thread is perfect for asking help, i'm hella amateur imho even if i've been into this for 3 years, so anyways

Great tips.

I have never seen your works before, do you have a soundcloud for your posts?

#9 MyCookiessNicerThanYours

MyCookiessNicerThanYours

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationCookie Heavens ────✘Winner✘──── ───☼Hyukoh☼─── ────۞Exo۞──── ────۩BigBang۩────

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:23 AM

so im very new to fl studio i bought it 5 month ago mess around in it and didnt get anywhere but i started using it again last week and got further then i did the last time. im interested in creating ballad and RnB, can you introduce me to some good vst, i still cant find a good drum vst, bass vst, guitar vst and piano vst, would appreciate if anyone can introduce some of them to me

#10 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

so im very new to fl studio i bought it 5 month ago mess around in it and didnt get anywhere but i started using it again last week and got further then i did the last time. im interested in creating ballad and RnB, can you introduce me to some good vst, i still cant find a good drum vst, bass vst, guitar vst and piano vst, would appreciate if anyone can introduce some of them to me

Plugins eh? For my production, I use Sylenth1 & Massive as my main plugin. I usually use Sylenth1 for 90% of my shit because I have alot of great presets for multiple genres, so thats one plugin you should keep in mind, another one that I am planning to use is Nexus, which is a must get for every EDM producer, basically completes everything.

Ballads and such, I suggest Kontakt, it's great, if I'm not wrong JaynaeNicole uses kontakt mainly. Though you should link me a song that is close to what you want to make so I can specifically identify a plugin vst for you.

If you need any Presets and/or Sample Packs, hit me up. I'll drop a megaupload of all my shit!

#11 ImDaOne

ImDaOne

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:04 PM (Edited by BruhWhat, 11 February 2016 - 11:14 PM.)

Drum VST? you could get any free for Kontakt

or Studio Instruments Drum Kit (not that complex i guess but works for me) or maybe just a sample library

bass(i guess you mean bass guitar) vst Studio Instruments bass guitar lol (not as functional though but still does its job perfectly unless you wanna go to another level of complexity)

or even better Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass, it's 99$ though, for Kontakt, ppl love it though

EDIT: oooh i forgot the boobass plugin that is included in fl is pretty cool too

could try this though, haven't done it myself but it has good reviews it seems

http://www.vst4free...._vst.php?id=938

Guitar VST:

electric guitar: MusicLab RealStrat

Classic/acoustic guitar: MusicLab RealGuitar 2

those are the best imho, there's a few libraries for Kontakt too though

and you should get a decent amp plugin for the mixer too (for RealStrat), or stick with the default Hardcore amp plugin and try all the presets (i usually use Dark Stoner bc to me it sounds the best, you could get Guitar Rig 5 Pro which is basically the best but i think it's expensive af

Piano...well...the ones on RefX Nexus are decent i usually use pop keys and ballad grand piano presets and EQ them, sometimes even FL keys and EQ a lot lol. There's a lot of piano vsts but i really don't use any besides those and Pianoteq

U might also need strings for ballads or even R&B right? there's a lot for Kontakt and Kompakt but i use the Sonatina Orchestral Pack for everything orchestra related bc i love epic stuff and it's free xD (Also has a concert piano btw if you're interested)

for R&B -ish synths and stuff you may like RefX Nexus (you may need to do a lot of EQ bc i honestly think it sounds cheap most of the time if not done)

what else are you looking for??? i have everything you will ever want mwahahaha

#12 JaynaeNicole

JaynaeNicole

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between the Treble and the Bass

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ohhh what I miss?

#13 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Lmao I should start making more trap

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#14 DECAYYY

DECAYYY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

Btw, I feel like OH should make a label sorta-like Monstercat/Ninety9Lives where we release our songs under their label

Just a random thought lmao

#15 JaynaeNicole

JaynaeNicole

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between the Treble and the Bass

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Btw, I feel like OH should make a label sorta-like Monstercat/Ninety9Lives where we release our songs under their label

Just a random thought lmao

I see where your going with that. But what would be the outcome? Like what would OH be able to do for us? That we haven't done ourselves lol only thing I can think of is OH sponsor a Kpop remix/mix tape for download to I-fans lol and make fan made Music Videos, I dunno

#16 stargarden

stargarden

fat TOP

• PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Locationdabbing my way downtown

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

Oooh, this is new. Sup everyone. I'm a music arranger with a strong instrumentalist background. My primary instrument is piano (15+ years yo), but I've also done orchestra (viola), symphonic/marching band (flute, french horn), and chorale so if anyone has any questions on theory, instrumentation, etc definitely feel free to hit me up. :)

I've been getting in recording/producing lately. I have Ableton Live 9 Intro but I've been debating whether or not I should upgrade to a full version of... something bc while I haven't spent that much time messing around with the program, it seems like what I have is limiting in the long run. Anyone have opinions on what is actually necessary to produce a well-layered track? I've been holding back on buying Logic cause my Mac is old and I haven't decided if I wanna stay on Mac or switch to PC when I replace it. 

Likewise, how much do y'all utilize midi drum and keyboard controllers? Cause idk if I'm just slow, but doing it all via computer trackpad is rather tedious. D;

#17 PinkLight

PinkLight

Trainee

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:11 AM

I love composing music :stare: I use an app called MusicStudio!

#18 ImDaOne

ImDaOne

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:13 PM (Edited by BruhWhat, 24 February 2016 - 09:14 PM.)

maybe, just maybe no one will answer my question but i lose nothing by asking it lol

So i have RealLPC, RealStrat and RealRick plugins for FL Studio and i'm probably getting Amplitube or Guitar Rig(so far i've only worked with Fl's Hardcore which is not really good but kinda works anyways) but i have a question

I've been thinking about making a summer-ish or oldschool rock&roll-ish tracks just for the sake of being experimental and so and i've been wondering how to make this sound with those plugins and some amp plugin (bc i know you can do it i think with RealLPC, i've listened to it somewehere, unfortunately don't remember where)

something like this

Spoiler

also how to make the guitar sound in Block B's Her, that summer-ish guitar

Spoiler

Aaaaand this

Spoiler

#19 eNTITY

eNTITY

Sungjae and Nana's (Un)official Husband

• PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Location#4EverARainnous

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:41 AM (Edited by eNTITY, 28 February 2016 - 01:49 AM.)

I am a pianist (I've been playing for 6 years) and a former saxophone (alto and baritone) player; I stopped playing sax 2 or 3 years ago in favor of piano because I felt the piano was easier to express myself with. Recently I have just completed my fourth piano sonata'ws 1st movement (thread for it: http://onehallyu.com...k-of-this-song/). I've made 3 other piano sonatas, I'm currently working on a violin sonata, an organ sonata, and a saxophone sonatina, and in the future I want to make 1 or 2 piano concertos, a symphony and a string quartet piece. 

Sadly my 1st three piano sonatas were lost on my other computer. I'm currently in the process of recovering them which is why im working on other stuff. I'll definitely be using this thread a lot lol.

#20 Nait Phoenix

Nait Phoenix

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationAlieNation

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

I guess introductions are in order. My name is Nait Phoenix, but you can call me Nait.

I've been casually composing/producing music for 6 years, and I'm ready to make it a profession alongside songwriting.

My style is definitely dance-oriented music. Not necessarily EDM, but along the lines of just pure dance music.

My brand is to be innovative to myself: why do what you've already done? Try something new, then move onto the next.

I can share with you some of my work.

A stellar take on EDM music…

[SOUNDCLOUD] Listen on Soundcloud.com[/SOUNDCLOUD]

A more upbeat and fun style I like to do… (I sing in this one! ;))

And a more trance style I'm used to… (I, also, sing in this one…)

좋아합니까? (Do you like it?)

I'd be open to collaborations. Just PM me if you want to make beautiful music together! lol :D

Up, Up and Away!