Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

once_a_fan

Tzuyu Issue Sequence of Events (Summary)

This issue has been going on for days now. To be honest it was a no win situation from the start. I'm Chinese and sometimes go on weibo to follow chinese celebrities, the amount of hate that can erupt on their for  the pettiest reasons happens all the time. The way that celebrities treat it is lie low for a while and then come out once people move onto their next target. I agree this situation is a little different as it involves a sensitive political topic.

Comments in blue are my own views on, the rest are subjective views that I have gathered from various sources.

Sorry in advance for the length of this post, there is just so much info. out there on this right now. And I have tried to compress it without effecting the overall meaning.

Tzuyu is 16 years old, and she was born and raised in Taiwan, she entered JYPE at the age of 13 to train. 

Since the sixteen show series she has stated that she is from Taiwan.

JYP lists her nationality as Taiwan on her official profile page. 

By definition nationality is based on what passport is held by the person, for example I was born in China but I hold a New Zealand passport, my nationality is New Zealand. This doesn't mean I don't love my home country, it is irrational of c-nets to hold this as evidence for Tzuyu being pro-independent supporter. Tzuyu holds a Taiwan passport therefore JYP is not wrong to put her nationality as Taiwan.

22/11/2015 On the My Little Television show, Tzuyu was waving a Taiwan Flag

This flag does cause a lot of anger amongst Chinese people, as the war wounds from the war between PRC and ROC (official name for Taiwan) is still fresh and the memories is still there. Even at the Olympics Taiwan holds a different flag due to this tension. Chinese people are taught ever since they are in Primary, that Taiwan is apart of China which is why when debates arise on this issue they think it is a no brainer and not worth debating.

8/01/2016 Tzuyu was on 'A look at myself' with Jackson. Jackson says that she is from Taiwan, and then quickly corrects himself and says China-Taiwan. Tzuyu nods to when Jackson says Taiwan, but doesn't nod to China-Taiwan. The MC cut in straight after Jackson said that and Tzuyu did not get a chance to express if she agreed to that.

Honestly, she probably didn't see the need to show that she agreed even if she did agree.

10/01/2016 Huang An makes his first post on Weibo pinning Tzuyu with Pro-Independence. He made 7 posts on this issue, raising the heat of this issue. 

Huang An is not a political figure or anyone really influential. He is a singer from Taiwan but he is known for digging out celebrities who support HK independence and Taiwan independence so that they can no longer enter the China market. And to date he has been successful on all accounts.

The reason why he has been successful, is because the Chinese government is coming down very hard on the China-Taiwan issue and especially with the upcoming elections in Taiwan. The government has released an official statement that public media broadcast cannot contain anyone or any content in support of pro-independence.

10/01/2016 Tzuyu and Twice start to trend on Weibo with the top rated comments across multiple media reports:

1. Get out of China

2. Make an public apology 

3. If you don't love China stop coming here to earn money

4. We will fight all pro-independence supporters to the end

5. Being 16 is no excuse

11/01/2016 Bei Jing TV stated they will not broadcast the recording of Twice for the Spring Festival Gala

11/01/2016 Huawei + LG terminates contracts with Twice, and expressed they will not work with JYPE in future

11/01/2016 An Hui TV withdraws invite for Twice to perform on Spring Festival Gala

11/01/2016 Kuwo Music (Like a chinese version of spotify) removes all JYPE artists songs

Might be due to copyright issue, but a few other music apps have followed suit and other korean artists are still there, so I would say this issue was a factor that caused this.

11/01/2016 Jackson's appearance on Day Day Up cancelled (later reports says this is postponed, however no official word has been released)

11/01/2016 JYP changes Nationality to Birthplace on Tzuyu profile, but no public statement is released 

12/01/2016 Chuai Bao an agent in China that invited Twice to perform on An Hui TV, posts on Weibo that JYP refused to 1. send a different group 2. refund money 3. Twice performs but minus Tzuyu. And in JYPE response, it said that JYPE was in a position to comment on the China-Taiwan issue.

This post pointed hate from Tzuyu to both her and JYPE. The comments on Weibo started to demand an apology for JYPE and they have to acknowledge the one china principle. Netizens started to label JYPE as a pro-independence support company and threatened to boycott all JYPE artists.

He has deleted his post but the damage is done. I see this a lot of Weibo, people do this for one reason it's to bring more attention and increase publicity for himself

12/01/2016 An FB profile titled 'Tzuyu 周å­ç‘œâ€˜  is making pro-independence comments. A lot of c-nets have screenshotted this and saying that this is from her personal account. 

It's a fake account, no Twice members have personal social media accounts

13/01/2016 JYPE changes Tzuyu profile to China/Taiwan

13/01/2016 JYPE releases first official statement on their official Weibo account. That both JYP and Tzuyu never made pro-independence statements and will cancel activities in China for Tzuyu for the time being. And that she is 16 which is underage, and what she said does not have any ulterior political motive.

C-nets top comments:

1. Official apology for JYPE in different languages and upload to Ins, FB, twitter etc..

2. Video apology from Tzuyu stating that she agrees that there is only one China and she agrees that Taiwan is an inseperable part of China

3. 0 points for this statement

4. If we see Tzuyu in Taiwan, that means JYPE is a pro-independence supporter

5. I'm 16, South Korea belongs to North Korea (teasing emoticon)

13/01/2016 JYPE stock starts to drop

13/01/2016 C-nets make comments on Jia/Fei/Nickhun weibo accounts telling them to leave JYPE or they will lose the Chinese market

14/01/2016 Innisfree makes official statement that Tzuyu is not an endorser of Innisfree and her statements do not reflect that of the company

Although Innisfree is a Korean brand, they don't want the Chinese market boycotting their products

14/01/2016 JYPE releases second official statement, this time acknowledging the one China principle.

It is true that JYPE can promote in Korea, but the Korean and Chinese markets overlap and saying that they will let go of the Chinese market will have a lot of negative implications. Alot of Korean companies, award shows, variety shows etc.. are sponsored or collaborate with Chinese companies. The c-nets know the power of the Chinese market which is partially the reason why their comments are very harsh and irrational on weibo because they know there is no way JYPE can let go of the Chinese market.

C-nets top comments summary: 

1. Too late

2. Video apology from Tzuyu and distribute on international media social platforms

3. Don't believe this, they are posting different stories on other media sites overseas, causing i-nets to criticize c-nets for over-reacting

4. Only doing this because JYPE stock price is falling

14/01/2016 IQIYI who is the sole online broadcaster for Seoul Music Awards blurred out Twice'S album cover during the online broadcast

14/01/2016 Nickhun fanmeet in China cancelled

15/01/2016 JYP releases statement of apology

C-nets top comments:

1. Have you posted this apology on international media sites

2. JYPE is stirring up the Korea community and international community causing hate towards chinese people and the chinese government

3. Can't stand the stock market prices drop anymore

There are c-nets that are translating comments of i-nets criticizing China over this issue on ins, fb, and even websites like koreaboo .... and saying that this is JYPE behind all this criticism. Which is why the c-nets are saying JYPE is only apologizing on Weibo and to the outside community they are saying something different. Which isnt' the case... it's i-nets translating things of Weibo, and then i-nets are responding to these translations. 

I already made another thread on this, you can read if interested :)

http://onehallyu.com/topic/271713-false-information-on-weibo-bringing-hate-to-jype/?do=findComment&comment=11811323

15/01/2016 JYPE releases video of apology from Tzuyu

C-nets top comments:

1. Looks like she was forced to do this, it doesn't feel genuine

2. We want three versions: Chinese, Korean and English and release to ins, fb and other korean media sites

3. Kneeling down to money

15/01/2016 QQ Music has removed all Twice music from their app 

15/01/2016 Huang An has 'retweeted' Tzuyu apology video and he accepts the apology

Translation of his post: Tzuyu finally apologised! She admits that there is only one China, cross the straits are the same. She acknowledged that she is from One China and is proud of it. The day we've been waiting for. we've again acquired a good girl who acknowledges her origin country. China citizens once again succeeded in stopping Taiwan's big road to Taiwanese independence. Everyone spread the news!

Still the damage is done, and c-nets are voicing they don't accept the apology. There are some that have removed the light from her saying 'We never really cared if she was a supporter of pro-independence, but JYPE is in trouble' From reading the media reports and comments this morning it does seem like the hate is being pointed at JYPE now as oppose to Tzuyu.

Honestly this whole situation makes me sad, the way JYPE is handling the situation doesn't feel right, but then again I wouldn't know how to handle this situation either. Either way whatever JYPE does there is notHing that will satisfy the c-nets.

The video of apology was really unnecessary, you can't give c-nets what they demand for half of these people are just crazy and sit behind keyboards all day with nothing better to do ... do they really give a shit about Tzuyu/JYPE/ or even the China-Taiwan issue probably not, they just like to add fuel to the fire and watch the show from the side line.

And for those that are hating Chinese people, honestly it is only the minority that are responding like this, there is a good portion of Chinese people both in China and overseas that aren't that extreme on this issue.

Tzuyu has basically been used as a chess piece in this whole political rivalry between China and Taiwan. And it is unfair to her to be used like this. And I hope she can stay strong and get through this.

this.

And for those that are hating Chinese people, honestly it is only the minority that are responding like this, there is a good portion of Chinese people both in China and overseas that aren't that extreme on this issue.

Tzuyu has basically been used as a chess piece in this whole political rivalry between China and Taiwan. And it is unfair to her to be used like this. And I hope she can stay strong and get through this.

THAT'S WHY YOU CAN'T BOW DOWN TO BULLIES. YOU NEED TO STOP THEM FROM THE START.

otherwise they will just keep changing stories and hunt you down.

I can't believe all this scale to this big ass mess and poor tzuyu it's in the middle of it, she is just a baby she doesn't deserve any of  this 

Haters will find a reason to hate. Apology or not. Tzuyu caught up between this all is quite sad. Let's wait. With time, things will be easier.

Where is the apology vid?

Found it, lol @ JYP what a fucking mess they are.

Go to the JYP channel, you'll find it. I don't want to link it in yet another thread.

And all she wanted to do is sing and dance

why is JYPE even giving in to demands if they're not accepting them ? pointless 

i see it as JYPE using this issue to let them know who's at fault here in korea and internationally 

This is such a mess, the poor girl doesn't deserve it

and I don't understand why other JYP groups are getting affected by this when they had no hand in this issue to begin with

This is honestly such a mess and the girl is so fucking young to be going through all this shit.

Poor girl. 

JYP's stance of hoping things would blow over didn't work and their subsequent tries after to control the damage backfired on them. They've done all they could do, right down to having Tzuyu apologize on camera. Better to just stay quiet about this from now on and cut their losses for now before JYPE dig themselves in further. 

Thanks for the summary OP, you must have worked hard putting this together

thanks for summarizing, it's been hard trying to piece together all the little bits of this whole mess. (btw some of the january dates in the OP should have 2016 instead of 2015 in case you wanna fix that)

this thread / topic is very useful, thankyou OP for adding your opinion too (y)

if only that private conversation wasn't leaked maybe it'll do a slight, less impact compared to now ..

I honesty agree with your last paragraph. The people who making this a big issue in China probably don't even care about tzuyu, jype or China-Taiwan relation. Tzuyu action does not deserve this much hate. Jype should have apologized quicker and not adding things to clarify and what-not. Simple apology that does not admit fault should be best. I honestly think that sentence from Jype prep that said "cannot choose between China and Taiwan" really fuel the hate toward them. Should have end with tzuyu is not a pro-independence, the rumor is false, jype do not have any opinion on any political issue, and end with that.

mess

poor Tzuyu

i only hope she gets through this

I feel so sorry for tzuyu I almost feel the need to stand by her for the rest of her career. She looks like a sad puppy in her video, so heartbreaking! Stay strong, girl.

Appreciate the unbiased summary so the people who acted like this wasnt a big issue and 'once are just being extra' can finally understand