Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
yangbanimnida

[Spoilers] "Code: Room of Secrets" - JTBC show

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hyunmin win again?

jtbccode.jpg

코드 - ë¹„ë°€ì˜ ë°©  

(Code: Room of Secrets)

THIS THREAD HAS UNHIDDEN SPOILERS

JTBC Friday 11pm

By the makers of tvN's "The Genius" (A9 Media).

"Code" is a survival show where players must escape each floor to reach the next floor. There are eight floors in total with four rooms on each floor: the Mirror Room, Blue Room, Red Room and Green Room. They start on basement level 8. Escaping is done by finding the "pass code". By entering the correct pass code, players can enter the elevator that leads to the next floor. Players are given three cards which give them a chance to enter the pass code. Players can transfer these cards to another person. The first person to enter the correct pass code is given a hint for the next round's pass code and an extra card to enter a pass code. To find the pass code, players must gather "main codes". Main codes contain hints that show what the pass code is. Hints to find the main codes are scattered around the rooms in the form of puzzles. Once they solve the puzzle, players can use the answer to unlock the combination lock to the lockers that contain the main codes. The last four players to find the pass code must play a death match to get the "last code". The last code match involves solving a puzzle individually. The first three players to solve the problem can escape and progress to the next round. The last player is eliminated. A $20,000 prize is given to the winner. "Code" started with 10 players. 

Solving puzzles --> main codes --> pass code. 

Last four players: Solving a puzzle --> last code.

New rules introduced in Ep 2:

1. Players must burn the piece of paper that contains the main code after they read it.

2. After the game begins and players choose their rooms, the doors to the rooms will be locked for half an hour. 

Players: 

Jeong Junha
Kim Heechul
Han Seokjun
Baek Seonghyeon
Choi Songhyeon
Shin Jaepyeong
Seo Yuri
Ji Juyeon
Lee Yongjin
Oh Hyunmin

v_code_people.png

No English subs except for Ep 1 Part 1

Namuwiki

Links to the raws: 

Episode 1:  Part 1 | Part 2 (1.1%)
Episode 2 (0.6%)

Episode 3 (0.7% Nielsen Korea,  0.6% TNMS)

Episode 4 (0.7%, 0.5%)

Episode 5 (1.0%, 0.7%)

Episode 6: Part 1 | Part 2 (1.0%, 0.9%)

Episode 7: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.9%, 0.8%)

Episode 8: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.8%, 0.7%)

Episode 9: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.8%, 0.4%)

Episode 10: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.6%, 0.5%)

Episode 11: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.6%, 0.5%)

Episode 12: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.6%, 0.6%)

Episode 13: Part 1 | Part 2 (0.5%, 0.9%)

Edited by yangbanimnida

It's a survival show where the contestants have to guess the pass code correctly. Once they do, they can proceed to the next floor. There are eight floors. The person who makes it to the end is the winner. One person gets eliminated each episode. There are main codes that provide hints to the pass code found in each room, about four rooms, and the players have to find these main codes by solving puzzles. Once they solve the puzzle, they can use the answer to unlock the door to the locker that holds the main code. Players have three cards that give them three chances to enter the pass code. Players can transfer their cards to each other. The first players minus four who guess the pass code correctly can advance without doing anything else. The last four players have to play against each other to get the "last code" which enables them to advance. The one who comes last in this final "last code" game gets eliminated. It's sort of like a death match involving four players. 

Code is based on the escape room concept. 

Edited by yangbanimnida
  • Like 1

If Dongmin had been part of this game, he would have formed a secret alliance with Hyunmin by now, and they would be helping each other to the top. I think Junha should form an alliance with someone who's good at solving problems. If not Hyunmin, because I think he has an alliance with Yuri, he should join forces with Seonghyeon. This gives him an extra guarantee that he will use the right pass code. Finding these pass codes requires people to share their hints. The problem with allying with someone like Seo Yuri is that she's not going to find many hints and so you don't get the pass code quickly by working together. If two people who are good at problem solving, ally, they will beat everyone else who is not allied with anyone else because two heads are better than one. And you can make a deal with the other person that they will tell you their passcode before they enter it, and you can do the same for the other person and tell them the pass code before you enter it. This way, you can also check which answers are wrong and narrow down the answers quickly. The point of this game is to find the pass code before others so speed is an important factor. 

Heechul and Yongjin have joined forces and this helps them come up with the pass code quickly. Hyunmin is allied with Yuri, and the others don't have an alliance. 

Jaepyeong is not allied with anyone and even though he's quite good at understanding clues, he doesn't know what hints other people have some of the time and this slows him down. 

I think Hyunmin made a mistake allying with Yuri. She doesn't really help him much and drags him down somewhat. The only good thing is that if he doesn't do well, she doesn't do well. And if worst comes to worst, and he ends up being in the last four group, chances are she will be too (unless she does a trade with someone else to give up one of her cards to get the pass code), and in that situation, he can probably beat her easily to get the last code, and so he is guaranteed some safety in that situation. 

But the important difference with TG and his alliance with Dongmin is that Yuri isn't the sort to be trusted. She will float to whoever will be useful to her. In Dongmin's case, he was loyal to the end; he would not betray no matter what, and that was one of the reasons that that alliance was so successful. And it's not only the loyalty factor, Dongmin was also good at coming up with stratagems to beat competing alliances. 

Heechul and Yongjin have been quite smart using Jaepyeong to help them solve clues. That way they were able to get the samba hint, which led them to the right pass code. Also, they were able to get the cork out of the bottle in the first episode with Jaepyeong's help. 

Choi Songhyeon seems to be gravitating toward Joonha, but they aren't really a solid alliance yet. Choi Songhyeon is more useful than Yuri, who hasn't been able to solve anything yet. Choi Songhyeon was able to solve the picture puzzle and the letters on the computer puzzle, with Joonha's help. 

But I think it's best if Joonha pairs up with Seonghyeon, since there is a better chance of finding more clues together than with Choi Songhyeon. The only problem might be that towards the end, when there only a few players left and alliances break down, Seonghyeon can become his biggest competitor. The other thing is that Joonha can ally with both Seonghyeon (to get the pass code more quickly) and with Choi Songhyeon (to use her to block the other players). He can make a deal with her like Hyunmin made a deal with Yuri and with Heechul and Yongjin in Ep 1, I think, to exchange pass codes for cards, and block his main rivals in the game. 

The clue-finding results fluctuate from game to game. No one seems to be consistently good at finding the pass code first. So you can't depend on solo efforts. Also, once the hints are found, they are gone. And since they are confined to rooms for a certain length of time, by the time they move to another room, the hints in that room may all have been found by someone else. 

Joonha should have made a deal with Heechul when Heechul asked him what pass code he put in. And Heechul should have approached him in a different way so that a deal could have taken place more easily instead of just asking him what he had used for his pass code. 

If Joonha had made a deal with Heechul then, he probably could have escaped early instead of ending up in the final four. Joonha should have fished around to see if Heechul had a pass code answer and then made a deal about exchanging answers. Joonha said that he would only make a deal if his answer was wrong. But that doesn't work out because if Heechul's answer is successful, he leaves the place and Joonha wouldn't know what he put in. 

I think that's why someone like Dongmin would be good at this game. He would quickly catch onto what deal-making possibilities there were in this game and use them. He may have even allied with several people by now. With an alliance of, say, three people, you can more quickly eliminate your main competitors in this game. 

Hyunmin, Jaepyeong, Joonha and Seonghyeon seem to be the best at finding the codes in this game. 

Edited by yangbanimnida
  • Like 1

Ayy lmao. Im gonna follow this thread and post my two cents later.

Sent by Alan Partridge

I root for jung junha.. he's quite good. :lol:

So far I've watched episode 1, some of the cast here went to Problematic Men (which I'm quite a hardcore fan of LOL) before

Episode 2 I'm gonna watch later :) 

i have watched ep 1 and ep 2. ep 2 is more interesting compared to ep 1. i hope someone will provide summary of the ep since there is no sub :)

i have watched ep 1 and ep 2. ep 2 is more interesting compared to ep 1. i hope someone will provide summary of the ep since there is no sub :)

How do you want me to provide summary?? As in highlights or? (of course put in spoiler)

I'll update more later when I get back home

Episode 1 summary (don't open the spoiler if you want to watch the show first)

- The Main Code is 4349 [understand a=4, b=3, c=4, d=9 before reading the hints)

(Hints obtained: Prime number, (a+b)^2 = cd, 

- Ji Jooyeon was eliminated from the Last Code (untangle oneself from the ropes and get the keys to unlock the handcuffs)

Episode 2 summary

- The Main Code is Brazil (not Brasil like what some typed)

(Hints obtained: 

- Han Seokjun was eliminated from the Last Code (using the pieces given, make them into the shape as shown on the screen

• Like 1

- The Main Code is 4349 [understand a=4, b=3, c=4, d=9 before reading the hints)

- Ji Jooyeon was eliminated from the Last Code (untangle oneself from the ropes and get the keys to unlock the handcuffs)

Episode 2 summary

(Hints obtained: 

- Han Seokjun was eliminated from the Last Code (using the pieces given, make them into the shape as shown on the screen

Thanks for the summary, speedthief. I don't think you have to use spoiler tags though. You can if you want to but you don't have to. There aren't going to be Eng subs as far as I know. So I'm not going to use spoiler tags for anything. 

People who haven't watched it and don't want to be spoiled because they are going to watch it later should simply avoid this thread. 

I like Choi Songhyeon but I don't think she's going to last long. She's already been in the last four group twice. At this rate, if she keeps ending up in the bottom four, she's going to lose the last match and be eliminated soon. She should stop relying on other people too, and use her own commonsense. What's the point in applying to be in this game if you don't have confidence in your own abilities? 

That's why I like The Genius Season 3 the best out of all the seasons of TG. There were four open-casting members. More than celebrities, they have to prove their abilities during the casting process and are more likely to be good at the games than the average "brainy" celebrity in this kind of show.  

I wish Jaepyeong would interact with the others more instead of just going around solving clues. 

Junha had the right idea of putting the locks back on the lockers so that the other players would waste time trying all the lockers to open them and solving puzzles that had already been solved. 

I want the players to use their other cards quickly if they get the first attempt at the pass code wrong. I don't think it's that important to build up those cards. Hyunmin has got about three extra cards I believe from making deals in Ep 1. I want to see more deal-making. Hyunmin was really good at solving the puzzles - he solved five puzzles - but the main codes he got weren't that good. 

The hint that Heechul and Yongjin found, "samba", thanks to Jaepyeong solving it for them was the best hint (apart from Seokjun's one - see below). That virtually gave the answer away and the other hint they got such as the coin one that Heechul found confirmed a country was the right answer. 

I think asking Jaepyeong for help is wise. He's good at solving puzzles but apart from that he's not that competitive or strategy-minded. 

Junha should have known the answer wasn't "Amazon" because one of the hints (the one that Seonghyeon got) was "Street of Asians" and that sounds like a man-made place like a city or a country and not a geographical natural landmark. 

I think the code that had the SxxxWxx was obviously the latitude and longitude of a place. I think the producers did leave some reference book with the coordinates or a map somewhere in the room. After they got that clue they should have looked around for such a book. 

And if SeokJun had persisted with the puzzle he was working on, which was making a box from folding the piece of paper, he would have gotten close to the answer because I believe the letters you could read were "Brasil".

In fact, he had the best hint out of them all. He should have made the box more carefully. He really lost a good chance. 

The producers should show the main clues to the viewers as soon as they are found. 

The last game where they had to make the figure using the blocks wasn't that hard for a game of this level and for players who are supposed to be good at solving puzzles. It isn't good if you struggle in this sort of puzzle. It was probably one of the easiest puzzles to solve in the whole game. Hyunmin I'm sure would have solved it in a matter of seconds - well under a minute probably. One of the pieces you could tell formed the base (or the top), and there aren't that many ways you can fit the other three pieces. I'm a little disappointed that Junha found this puzzle difficult. 

It was smart of Hyunmin to guess that someone was going to betray in the voting for the free hint. Yongjin's a wily one trying to undercut the others during the voting. I think he's the sort to play dirty if he thinks there's any advantage to it. He's a bit like Hyunmin, Kyunghoon or Sangmin, not afraid to betray. 

I get the feeling Heechul doesn't really care about winning the game. I think he just wants to show himself off as an entertainer in this program. If you think about it, he earns much more money being an idol and MCing on other shows. $20,000 is probably peanuts. So I think he's just using this show for PR, to show off his variety skills. 

Hyunmin looks like he really wants to win. The fact that he was close to winning TG twice is probably a factor in this. And also he likes playing these sorts of puzzle-solving games. He's good at them but the problem is he likes to show off a bit. I think Yuri knows this and deliberately encourages it. Hyunmin gave her a free clue. He solved the puzzle himself but he acted like Yuri did and she got to open the locker and read the main code. I hope he knows what he's doing and he doesn't do something stupid that bites him later. He shouldn't be so easy giving away clues like that. 

Jaepyeong is smart and can solve puzzles well but he isn't good at the social game. 

Seonghyeon is kind of average. He's not the best at solving problems but he's not the worst. He should also mix more with the others and make deals and try and think more strategically. 

Junha should try and make deals too more. It's good he attempts the pass code early but he should try and narrow the answers down more by sharing with the others when he gets them wrong. Both episodes he got caught in the bottle neck of competing with the others to leave the rooms to enter his pass code. He should try and avoid this situation because it's a bit risky. Maybe the producers can have buzzers in the rooms the players can press that determines their order of attempting the pass code. Getting the players to line up in front of the exits isn't good because there are multiple exits. Players resorting to playing Rock Paper Scissors to determine the order really isn't ideal. 

Edited by yangbanimnida

This variety show is like 

Zero Escape + Lost Dimension

that's what I get from the aesthetics and gameplay.

http://entertain.naver.com/comment/list?oid=109&aid=0003237092&gid=999339&cid=1011563

Wow. The knives are out for Jeong Junha. They are even attacking IC fans. Smells like bitter Megallers to me.

"IC fans are trash and they go around acting as if they are brainiacs. When I think of it more, IC fans and Junha are a match made in heaven."

Don't understand the antipathy toward Junha myself. What did he do wrong so far? Ah, so he's not the most congenial person on the show. So what? I'd rather watch someone like him, who's competitive, and will express himself than watch someone who's trying to manage their image on TV so they look good to others, and don't really care about the game itself. I don't want to watch people who don't take the game seriously. It's not fun. 

Dongmin got a bad assessment from certain quarters as well for a lot of the time when he came out on The Genius. It was like "Why is he shouting all the time?". I mean it's just a show. You're there to win the game, not win most popular or nicest person award. Even after he won S3, he was still belittled. Now that Dongmin won for a second time, that shut up the critics and complainers. You can't whine about someone called GodGodGod. 

Maybe those Megallers want Gwanghee on the show? 

Oh, here we go: 

"Now I understand why Gwanghee said that Jeong Junha was the most scary person in IC ... His personality is just awful."

As expected, Gwanghee says this, Gwanghee says that. Gwanghee must be right. 

Anyway, if those people hate Junha, it means he's going to do well on this show - haha. So far he hasn't done badly at all. He's solved his fair share of the problems. He's representing gagmen well. As Dongmin predicted, comedians can be very good at these sorts of games. Junha is utilizing his imagination capably to solve the puzzles that require creative solutions. 

And I'm not even a fan of IC or even of Junha, but to say IC fans act like that is going overboard. And Junha has a "dumb" image on IC. He's the last person to act like he's a brain judging by this image. 

Edited by yangbanimnida

How do you want me to provide summary?? As in highlights or? (of course put in spoiler)

Thanks for the highlights. If possible, i would like a list of the main codes given for each episode. I think it is interesting to know how they get the passcode, right^^

Do you know what happen if they lost all cards? Who have the least card now?

I'm rooting for hyunmin. He is very smart and know his way on trading info with others.

http://entertain.naver.com/comment/list?oid=109&aid=0003237092&gid=999339&cid=1011563

Wow. The knives are out for Jeong Junha. They are even attacking IC fans. Smells like bitter Megallers to me.

"IC fans are trash and they go around acting as if they are brainiacs. When I think of it more, IC fans and Junha are a match made in heaven."

Don't understand the antipathy toward Junha myself. What did he do wrong so far? Ah, so he's not the most congenial person on the show. So what? I'd rather watch someone like him, who's competitive, and will express himself than watch someone who's trying to manage their image on TV so they look good to others, and don't really care about the game itself. I don't want to watch people who don't take the game seriously. It's not fun. 

Dongmin got a bad assessment from certain quarters as well for a lot of the time when he came out on The Genius. It was like "Why is he shouting all the time?". I mean it's just a show. You're there to win the game, not win most popular or nicest person award. Even after he won S3, he was still belittled. Now that Dongmin won for a second time, that shut up the critics and complainers. You can't whine about someone called GodGodGod. 

Maybe those Megallers want Gwanghee on the show? 

Oh, here we go: 

"Now I understand why Gwanghee said that Jeong Junha was the most scary person in IC ... His personality is just awful."

As expected, Gwanghee says this, Gwanghee says that. Gwanghee must be right. 

Anyway, if those people hate Junha, it means he's going to do well on this show - haha. So far he hasn't done badly at all. He's solved his fair show of the problems. He's representing gagmen well. As Dongmin predicted, comedians can be very good at these sorts of games. Junha is utilizing his imagination capably to solve the puzzles that require creative solutions. 

And I'm not even a fan of IC or even of Junha, but to say IC fans act like that is going overboard. And Junha has a "dumb" image on IC. He's the last person to act like he's a brain judging by this image.

I dont understand. Are the viewers of code are attacking him or generally, koreans hate him? Why?

Episode 2 summary

(Hints obtained: 

you're missing quite a few clues there...

let me help with ep. 2

• republika federativa do...
  • cd=6 (as in there are six spots in this code)
  • piaza(?) da independencia
  • the coin hint
  • the samba music piece

Love these kind of shows. Will definetly give it a watch if it's ever subbed. I need something to fill the void left by The Genius.

I think I know why the ratings dropped for episode 2 so much. Before Ep 1 started, many people were anticipating this show and watched it thinking it would be like TG. But the pass code in the first episode was too hard to solve. It involved knowing hanja and being able to do complicated math equations. Unless you're a mathematician, it's not easy to work out that 4349 is a prime number. Plus, you needed almost all of the hints to work out what the answer was. So it was a matter of people sharing what hints they had, and the person who was best at math working out the answer fastest and obtaining the biggest advantage in the game. In contrast, most of the games in TG were easy to understand and working out the winning strategy was not that complicated. 

So a lot of people didn't want to keep watching, thinking the second episode would be the same.

For the second episode, they mangled up the hints quite a lot. Even though you could guess the pass code with only a couple of main code hints if you had good hints, some of the main codes were quite hopeless in themselves. For example, the number-related hints that Hyunmin got were ridiculous. They gave no indication as to whether the final answer was a word or a number. So even though Hyunmin had six main code hints in front of him, only two or three were of any use. 

On the other hand, with just the hint "samba" and the coin hint, you could work out the answer was Brazil. 

So who gets to put the pass code in first is largely up to chance. 

They need to make the hints more consistent in their degree of helpfulness.  

They also need to let people know whether the answer is a number or a word. Alternatively, they shouldn't have hints like ab = 6 if the answer is a word. 

Jaepyeong is a musician so the samba hint would have been easier to solve for him than for other people. 

The show is confusing and frustrating to watch. The only good part is when they reveal what the pass code is in the end. I hope they take note of the low ratings and improve the quality of the later episodes. 

They also need to show people making deals more. A lot of the stuff that is going on between the players is not shown. For example, the fact that Yuri and other people gave their pass code cards to Hyunmin in the first episode should have been shown. That sort of important deal shouldn't be hidden from the viewers. 

And they don't show the main codes clearly and who has what main code. It's all very vague. 

The way things are going Hyunmin is a strong contender to win Code. He's good at finding the main codes and he would be good at playing the individual game for the last code. For example, he would have beaten everyone if he had played the last game. 

Heechul and Yongjin are just picking Jaepyeong's brains but I don't know whether they can do this forever. At some point they will have to solve the problems themselves. And considering the fact that there are two of them, they're not finding that many clues. They were lucky they got the samba hint but next time they may not have such good hints. 

Jeong Junha and Baek Seongyeon are doing OK, but they need to also sharpen their game and find some sort of strategy for cooperating better with others and doing that in a more organized fashion. They need a proper alliance like Heechul and Yongjin have. 

They need some sort of backup plan for when they enter the wrong pass code. They have to quickly recover from that situation or use the fact they have multiple chances to put in the answer and arrive at the right pass code faster. They should have a strategy in place to narrow the answer down, and they can only do this if they work together.

Instead of just casually walking in thinking "This might work," they have to have several alternative answers ready in case the password fails and put them in quickly when they have another chance. Otherwise, if they take too long thinking of another answer, other people will come up with a pass code answer and they will have to go to the end of the queue. 

The game doesn't work working solo. Even Hyunmin who solved five hints on his own was not the first to leave this last episode. (He's working with Yuri but she's no help in finding main codes.) Like The Genius, having an alliance is a big advantage in this game. A reliable and loyal partner who is also good at finding hints but not better than you at solving problems is ideal. It's really important you are in the first group to leave. You can't leave that up to chance. You need a fail-safe strategy that is going to work every episode that helps you to be the first or second person to escape.  

Seonghyeon made a mistake in the first episode in that he didn't have a back-up plan in case his answer was wrong. Junha made the same mistake in Ep. 2. In fact, no one seems to have a back-up plan for that situation, even the people who are in alliances, unless the producers are not showing this part. 

This just goes to show that a player like Dongmin only appears once in a blue moon on such shows. From the beginning, he understood that alliances were important, and in later episodes, he always strived to come up with some sort of strategy to get the token of life with Hyunmin. He played a very safe game. 

He might be or he might not be the best at solving puzzles in such a game like Code, but I am certain he would have a workable alliance by now, and the alliance's members would be the first to escape each episode. By the time the other players realized what he was up and tried to defeat this alliance, it would be too late. The alliance would be too strong. Then it would be a matter of joining this alliance, or at least not antagonizing it, or be the target for elimination. 

I think this game was designed to be played that way. It's just that they didn't choose very good cast members on the whole, and with the exception of a couple of the players, the players are just shooting haphazardly here and there. Yongjin seems to have the right idea. He allied with someone who he could get along with. And he realized that Jaepyeong is an easy mark to get answers from without really having to make a concrete deal with him. He also took a chance at betraying so that Heechul would end up being the one getting the free hint, but Hyunmin blocked him. The only problem is that he isn't that good at solving hints. If he has to play a last code game, there is a strong chance he will be eliminated. 

The game inherently has a lot of possibilities for deal-making. It's just that the players don't seem to recognize it. 

Instead of someone like Jaepyeong, they should have gotten someone like Yeonseung's partner in S3E9 (Lee Jebin, management consultant) to come on the show. He was very smart but also strategic-minded, and someone like him would have been able to put up a lot of competition against a good player such as Dongmin. 

Very poor casting. Choi Songhyeon doesn't seem good at this game either, and Yuri is just good at riding other people. 

The other point about having an alliance is with the new rules of being confined to one room at a time, if you have an alliance and you split up that alliance so that members are in different rooms, you have a greater chance of gathering more clues. In a race to get as many main codes as possible, this is important. And you would be able to know which hints have been discovered and which haven't so you don't go wasting your time trying to solve puzzles that have already been solved. Also, you get a chance at solving more puzzles and finding more main codes this way since there are a limited number of main codes in each room. 

And you are wasting your alliance if you have the two members trying to solve the same clues. That's what Heechul and Yongjin spent a lot of time doing instead of spreading their resources out wider and covering more ground. That's probably one reason they haven't found many main codes each episode up until now. 

I think this new rule was made for this reason. Also, if you have members of the alliance spread out in different rooms, you can do spying on other people better. For example, you can tell if someone is close to getting the pass code or who is working with who. 

And if you have worked on a puzzle and become stuck, when it's time to move to a different room, you can tell your partner what you've tried and what hasn't worked out, and in this way, you can help that person solve the same problem faster when they get a chance to solve that puzzle. 

If Songhyeon, Seonghyeon and Junha had formed an alliance and gone to different rooms from the beginning, and pooled their hints together at the end, and had a plan for how they would enter the pass code including a back up plan in case the answer was wrong, they probably would have been the first ones to escape that floor. 

I think that's why Dongmin won TG twice. He is good at solving puzzles because he has a creative mind + he is good at coming up with strategies because he quickly understands the rules of the game and how the game is supposed to be played + he is good at implementing strategies because he is single-minded about winning and he's good at the social game - getting people to elect him king (405), or getting people to give him information (306), for example. 

Edited by yangbanimnida

I think I know why the ratings dropped for episode 2 so much. Before Ep 1 started, many people were anticipating this show and watched it thinking it would be like TG. But the pass code in the first episode was too hard to solve. It involved knowing hanja and being able to do complicated math equations. Unless you're a mathematician, it's not easy to work out that 4349 is a prime number. Plus, you needed almost all of the hints to work out what the answer was. So it was a matter of people sharing what hints they had, and the person who was best at math working out the answer fastest and obtaining the biggest advantage in the game. In contrast, most of the games in TG were easy to understand and working out the winning strategy was not that complicated. 

So a lot of people didn't want to keep watching, thinking the second episode would be the same.

For the second episode, they mangled up the hints quite a lot. Even though you could guess the pass code with only a couple of main code hints if you had good hints, some of the main codes were quite hopeless in themselves. For example, the number-related hints that Hyunmin got were ridiculous. They gave no indication as to whether the final answer was a word or a number. So even though Hyunmin had six main code hints in front of him, only two or three were of any use. 

On the other hand, with just the hint "samba" and the coin hint, you could work out the answer was Brazil. 

So who gets to put the pass code in first is largely up to chance. 

They need to make the hints more consistently helpful. 

They also need to let people know whether the answer is a number or a word. Alternatively, they shouldn't have hints like ab = 6 if the answer is a word. 

Jaepyeong is a musician so the samba hint would have been easier to solve for him than for other people. 

The show is confusing and frustrating to watch. The only good part is when they reveal what the pass code is in the end. I hope they take note of the low ratings and improve the quality of the later episodes. 

They also need to show people making deals more. A lot of the stuff that is going on between the players is not shown. For example, the fact that Yuri and other people gave their pass code cards to Hyunmin in the first episode should have been shown. That sort of important deal shouldn't be hidden from the viewers. 

And they don't show the main codes clearly and who has what main code. It's all very vague. 

The way things are going Hyunmin is a strong contender to win Code. He's good at finding the main codes and he would be good at playing the individual game for the last code. For example, he would have beaten everyone if he had played the last game. 

Heechul and Yongjin are just picking Jaepyeong's brains but I don't know whether they can do this forever. At some point they will have to solve the problems themselves. And considering the fact that there are two of them, they're not finding that many clues. They were lucky they got the samba hint but next time they may not have such good hints. 

Jeong Junha and Baek Seongyeon are doing OK, but they need to also sharpen their game and find some sort of strategy for cooperating better with others and doing that in a more organized fashion. They need a proper alliance like Heechul and Yongjin have. 

They need some sort of backup plan for when they enter the wrong pass code. They have to quickly recover from that situation or use the fact they have multiple chances to put in the answer and arrive at the right pass code faster. They should have a strategy in place to narrow the answer down, and they can only do this if they work together.

Instead of just casually walking in thinking "This might work," they have to have several alternative answers ready in case the password fails and put them in quickly when they have another chance. Otherwise, if they take too long thinking of another answer, other people will come up with a pass code answer and they will have to go to the end of the queue. 

The game doesn't work working solo. Even Hyunmin who solved five hints on his own was not the first to leave this last episode. (He's working with Yuri but she's no help in finding main codes.) Like The Genius, having an alliance is a big advantage in this game. A reliable and loyal partner who is also good at finding hints but not better than you at solving problems is ideal. It's really important you are in the first group to leave. You can't leave that up to chance. You need a fail-safe strategy that is going to work every episode that helps you to be the first or second person to escape.  

Seonghyeon made a mistake in the first episode in that he didn't have a back-up plan in case his answer was wrong. Junha made the same mistake in Ep. 2. In fact, no one seems to have a back-up plan for that situation, even the people who are in alliances, unless the producers are not showing this part. 

This just goes to show that a player like Dongmin only appears once in a blue moon on such shows. From the beginning, he understood that alliances were important, and in later episodes, he always strived to come up with some sort of strategy to get the token of life with Hyunmin. He played a very safe game. 

He might be or he might not be the best at solving puzzles in such a game like Code, but I am certain he would have a workable alliance by now, and the alliance's members would be the first to escape each episode. By the time the other players realized what he was up and tried to defeat this alliance, it would be too late. The alliance would be too strong. Then it would be a matter of joining this alliance, or at least not antagonizing it, or be the target for elimination. 

I think this game was designed to be played that way. It's just that they didn't choose very good cast members on the whole, and with the exception of a couple of the players, the players are just shooting haphazardly here and there. Yongjin seems to have the right idea. He allied with someone who he could get along with. And he realized that Jaepyeong is an easy mark to get answers from without really having to make a concrete deal with him. He also took a chance at betraying so that Heechul would end up being the one getting the free hint, but Hyunmin blocked him. The only problem is that he isn't that good at solving hints. If he has to play a last code game, there is a strong chance he will be eliminated. 

The game inherently has a lot of possibilities for deal-making. It's just that the players don't seem to recognize it. 

Instead of someone like Jaepyeong, they should have gotten someone like Yeonseung's partner in S3E9 (Lee Jebin, management consultant) to come on the show. He was very smart but also strategic-minded, and someone like him would have been able to put up a lot of competition against a good player such as Dongmin. 

Very poor casting. Choi Songhyeon doesn't seem good at this game either, and Yuri is just good at riding other people. 

The other point about having an alliance is with the new rules of being confined to one room at a time, if you have an alliance and you split up that alliance so that members are in different rooms, you have a greater chance of gathering more clues. In a race to get as many main codes as possible, this is important. And you would be able to know which hints have been discovered and which haven't so you don't go wasting your time trying to solve puzzles that have already been solved. Also, you get a chance at solving more puzzles and finding more main codes this way since there are a limited number of main codes in each room. 

And you are wasting your alliance if you have the two members trying to solve the same clues. That's what Heechul and Yongjin spent a lot of time doing instead of spreading their resources out wider and covering more ground. That's probably one reason they haven't found many main codes each episode up until now. 

I think this new rule was made for this reason. Also, if you have members of the alliance spread out in different rooms, you can do spying on other people better. For example, you can tell if someone is close to getting the pass code or who is working with who. 

And if you have worked on a puzzle and become stuck, when it's time to move to a different room, you can tell your partner what you've tried and what hasn't worked out, and in this way, you can help that person solve the same problem faster when they get a chance to solve that puzzle. 

If Songhyeon, Seonghyeon and Junha had formed an alliance and gone to different rooms from the beginning, and pooled their hints together at the end, and had a plan for how they would enter the pass code including a back up plan in case the answer was wrong, they probably would have been the first ones to escape that floor. 

I think that's why Dongmin won TG twice. He is good at solving puzzles because he has a creative mind + he is good at coming up with strategies because he quickly understands the rules of the game and how the game is supposed to be played + he is good at implementing strategies because he is single-minded about winning and he's good at the social game - getting people to elect him king (405), or getting people to give him information (306), for example.

I really like your comment. Wow, i dont even think that the alliance should separate and go to different rooms. It will be a good stategy. I think the cast members are still trying to familiarize with the game.

Some of the main codes are really helpful but some are not. Is it related with difficulty of puzzle solving to get the code? For example, the harder the puzzle, the more valuable main code you will get? Or is it just random?

Looking back on the "cd=6" hint, I think i figured it out.

I think it means "cd" as in "CoDe".

Thus, cd=6 would mean that the code has 6 numbers or letters.

But yeah, you'd need a few more clues to get the main code.

Sent by Alan Partridge