Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

I'm not very informed on Oricon. Her albums pre ordered and bought from Japanese online stores will show up on the Oricon chart right? And this would be the actual number of copies bought by fans.

Nope. They have to publish their albums in japan to get the Oricon list. Because of this, they usually publish Japanese versions of their albums.

• Like 1

Oricon doesn't cover 100% of sales in Japan, you can read about it in OH's Oricon thread. About online stores it depends if it's "verified" by Oricon.

Josaline, yes, they publish Japanese "editions" (Korean songs with Japanese album cover, they aren't selling well tho, only about 2k with WINGS) but it's not true that Korean versions aren't counted. They always were, currently WINGS+YNWA has about 60k sold albums on Oricon.

Yes, but they are published under another company and in Japan. So they entered the list. :)

Last I saw in this thread we weren't actually sure if some of the SK-distributed albums counted for Oricon? They release Japanese albums because they have debuted there and kpop is big in Japan with lots of money to be earned promoting there, I thought. Obviously they hope to chart when they release things, but I wouldn't necessarily say the JP versions are to count on the chart.

If they release under another company and in Japan. So they entered the list. Otherways nope. Oricon list does not even add international online sales. They only add online sales to customers in Japan and under Japan affilate company.

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

Do you have a source? Just wondering because others here said differently and it's good for us to have a source to point to if it ever comes up as a question again/elsewhere.

If you go to the Japan Entertainment tab you can find explanations about Oricon there. Also I am a fan of Jpop for a long time and follow the Oricon. Oricon is only aiming to count the sales of Japanese people in Japan. So they put a rule like this a few years ago. Because of this rule, the Johnnys groups also suffered a huge loss of sales. Because they are very popular in China, Thailand and Taiwan. However, after Oricon explained that it would not count international sales, they had lost about 30-80K sales in total sales figures. Oricon also does not count set sales. Even if you buy a set that contains 4 versions together, it accepts it as 1 copy. They are trying to prevent manipulation by avoiding bulk buying as much as possible. There is only one thing they can not avoid at the handshake meetings. Tickets for handshake meetings are intended to be sold together with single and albums. Because of this AKB48 can sell millions singles. Most of the Kpop groups do that. They give tickets for fan meeting and handshake meetings with their albums and singles. We can even say that the BTS can sell so much in Japan because of this.

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

I have wondered something about Oricon that I am struggling to find the answer to on-line. Is it possible for a store to be certified both in Hanteo and Oricon? So, for example a fan goes to a brick and mortar store in Japan and picks up a copy of BTS Wings (a korean album). Can that store be certified with Hanteo as well? And would that one purchase reflect simultaneously on both charts? Oricon to register sales in Japan and Hanteo to register real-time sales of Korean albums, etc.

I am questioning because sometimes people combine Hanteo and Oricon charts to indicate total customer sales in comparison to Gaon. But as they are different charts, does that not risk double counting of sales?

Yes ıt's possible. If online store certifified both Hanteo and Gaon, fans in Japan they can buy it from there. But their sales will not be listed in Oricon and will only be included in other ones. For example Rakuten, I don't know this store is certified Hanteo and Gaon but as far as I can see Japanese fans prefer to buy the Korean version here.

Those people doing wrong. Oricon and Gaon sales have never been counted together. If EXO release Chinese version in China their sales will not be counted in Hanteo and Gaon. That's why they release this version in Korea.

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

So you are saying that you can add Hanteo to Oricon numbers to get a total amount of logged sales? So, stores can be certified in both, but they will only report to one?

If the store is certificated from Hanteo and Gaon, their sales will be counted Hanteo and Gaon, just like the Amazon. But Oricon is diffirent thing.

Their numbers will not be included in Oricon because Oricon only counts the Japanese-affiliated companies release and the albums sold in Japan. Big Hit is publishes their Korean versions. But another company publishes Japanese versions and Korean versions published in Japan. That's why Oricon and Gaon sales have never been counted together. 

• Like 1

That's not my question. My question is counting Hanteo and Oricon together. I understand not to add it to Gaon.

take it with a grain of salt. I asked the same question and was told it's random, and you may get double copies.

That's what I'm trying to explain. There is " no " counting Hanteo and Oricon together. They list different sales of different companies. A store may have gotten a certificate from all three (Gaon, Hanteo and Oricon). But all sales are counted according to the their rules.

Yes, I know. I think something is getting lost in translation here.

My question is just basically - is it possible for one album purchase (the same album) to count simultaneously on both the Hanteo and Oricon chart. Like the album is sold. The store enters it into their Hanteo data and uploads it so the Hanteo chart updates. And it also (for whatever reason) meets the requirement of Oricon and is logged as a sale according to the Oricon chart.

I have no questions about Gaon.

I never see something like that. Oricon rules are very very strict. I don't think they will allow such a thing. Oricon only shows Japan sales. It is not possible to combine these sales with Korean sales. Because if a group want to sales counted by Oricon, they have to release the album from a company in Japan. Even if it is the same album, the sales from two different companies can not be combined.

• Like 1

.... Yes, but can a Japanese company not also be Hanteo certified. YesAsia is a company in Hong Kong (not Korea), but they are Hanteo (and Oricon) certified.

YesAsia's international sales are not counted Oricon.Japanese people usually prefer to shop at CDJapan or Tower Records. Because these are stores in cooperation with Oricon and their sales counted. Oricon only collects sales of dealerships with him. That's why there can be big differences between the sales results of Oricon and Billboard Japan. 

There are two reasons why I do not support adding Oricon and Hanteo together. Although it is just speculation, there is no proof otherwise, so it is better to under count sales rather than to over count them.

First, it has to do with how the Japanese retailer import from Korea. For example, if Rakuten's Korean distributor is Synnara, then Synnara will report the sale to Hanteo. When a Japanese customer buy from Rakuten, Rakuten will report to Oricon.

Second, we are unclear on retailer reporting policy. For example, Yesasia may report a Korean album to both Oricon and Hanteo if it is ordered by a customer in Japan. Edit: While Oricon have strict rules about counting exports, there isn't much regulations for imports.

Even if Rakuten report to " Her " sales to Oricon, they will not count that. Because this album will come from a Korean-based company, not from Japan. Rakuten 's sales results will only be important for Hanteo and Gaon (if they are certified)

• Like 1

I think FESTA minsoo have explained that Oricon have counted Korean albums and imports before.

Here's Wings release: It's #7 on Oricon chart, and it's a Korean-based album

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/w/2016-10-24/

There is no policy that restrict stores from reporting to multiple companies, as long as it meets that company's requirement.

Oricon's main requirement: the album must be sold in Japan, whether it is a Japanese album or an import.

Hanteo: no destination requirement.

In the US, there are two main data collection companies that most retailers report to in the US, Nielsen and Buzzangle. Nielsen and Buzzangle doesn't restrict retailers from reporting, and no one counts the two sales together.

Wings counted Oricon because Pony Canyon (a japanese company) published not Big Hit. This company was then a partner company of Big Hit. And now Def Jam is.^^

• Like 1

Since Hanteo is going to count Amazon Her sales to customers in the US and under a US affiliated company, I still feel like they would count "sales to customers in Japan and under Japan affiliate company" if the seller is Hanteo certified. That being said, it doesn't seem like any of us knows for 100% sure and the discussion is going in circles so maybe we should just stick to the guideline not to combine Hanteo and Oricon numbers?

Yes.That's exactly what I'm saying. Hanteo and Gaon probably would count "sales to customers in Japan and under Japan affiliate company" if the seller is certified. However, this sale will definitely not be included in Oricon. That's it.^^

• Like 1

'Her' sale in Japan will count on Oricon chart and Hanteo, especially if you order directly from UMG. So spread this around to Japanese Army.

Source: http://www.universal-music.co.jp/bts/news/2017-09-02/

Link to album set:

http://store.universal-music.co.jp/product/d2ce2014/

Link to random:

http://store.universal-music.co.jp/product/l200001463/

Edit: FYI, Pony Canyon doesn't have anything to do with Wings. 'Youth' was released by Pony Canyon.

You can check Wings details,

http://www.oricon.co.jp/prof/530375/products/1222484/1/

And of course ıt's counted like that because under " Universal Music Japan " ^^

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

Yes, BST-Japanese (Single Album) is under Def Jam.

The one link that Josaline have provided is the Wings- Japanese Edition, which is under Pony Canyon.

However, the original release is under Loen. Here's the screenshot of the repackage of Wings on Oricon chart 2nd Week of Feburary, which they have labelled as Vol. 2, most of us know it as YWNA. This is listed as an import.

This is interesting. Because when I look at Billboard Japan to look at the sales results on the same dates, I see the following details.

http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot_albums&year=2016&month=10&day=24

http://www.billboard-japan.com/goods/detail/550310

See Pony Canyon? Hmmm... 

Oricon's rules are really strict. In particular, it has constantly issued new rules in order to prevent gimmicks used by Kpop groups. First they stop counting international customers sales. Later they stopped counting music cards. After that they stopped counting set sales. And this year they decided to count all of the album versions that had exactly the same content, just different from the pictures on their covers, as a 1 copy.  Remember last EXO release? They have 11 +3 version that had exactly the same content, just different from the pictures on their covers. After that Oricon declared this rule. The only thing they can not touch yet is handshake and fan event tickets. The reason for this is probably most popular Japanese groups should also be using this method.

I guess we'll wait and see. Will they be able to enter the Oricon list without the help of any Japanese company and without the Japan edition?^^

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 2

How many does BST have???

2.714.000    ilikeitplz.png

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

what do you guys think the Gaon numbers are gonna look like??? Any predictions? smile.png I'm too scared to guess lol

Preorders almost 1.2M so Il'l go 1.3M   0u0plz.png

Edited by Josaline
  • Like 1

DNA MV reached 2.500.000 likes. Blood,Sweat&Tears sunbaennim is shaking.^^

Edited by Josaline

80M views..
2,5M likes..
More than 900,000 copies album sold out (first time in Hanteo History)
The highest rank on billboard hot 100 for KPop Group..
All in 15 days..
Next : 90M (previous records is 39 days and 7 hours)

tumblr_ox7dtxsdIm1tds2quo1_500.gif

• Like 5

uhuhuhhuuuu DNA reached 2.606.000 likes. Blood,Sweat&Tears sunbaennim is shaking~^^

• Like 3

The comments section in the BTS DNA MV is at 930k comment count as well. 

If the video ends up with 3M likes and 1M comments...wow @ that statistics CRAZY.

DNA MV gained 30K likes just 1 day O.o

• Like 1