Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
j_ana

Beast's Dongwoon's Herald News Culture 151029 Interview

“Being called a musical actor, until it becomes honorable, I have to do my bestâ€

Translated by wheelykpopeonni www.onehallyu.com

ohsnap.png

“As an idol, this was a work that was hard for me to choose.†The musical ‘The Great Catsby Reboot (Director Byun Cheong Ju)’ has a top-class script, interest that breaks the boundaries, and looking at the play, it is a piece that is full of love; to the extreme. Because of this, for idols who are bright and have a cheerful image, it honestly was uncomfortable to appear that way. However, for BEAST’s youngest member, Son Dongwoon, who debuted 7 years ago, is getting rid of barriers put on idols and has decided to stand up on the stage as a musical actor.

“Idols with a cheerful image, picking a piece with a grey kind of love wasn’t an easy choice. Even so, the melting stories in the piece shook me up and more than anything, the trust between the cast and the directors was strong. Especially Director Cheong Ju, who had a different kind of affection.â€

The role he received this time in this piece was that of Catsby, who was abandoned by his girlfriend that he had dated for 6 years and is a pure-hearted man who believes in love. Even when she had gotten married to a different man, he, who always stuck to himself, was constantly conflicted between ‘Persu’, his old love, and his new love ‘Sun,’ who has a good heart. Son Dongwoon says when he first read the script he wondered, “Will I be able to express this abnormal love well?†and he was doubtful also. However, currently now immersed into the character, “In order for the character to be clearly deeply rooted in love (to be loved), the audience has to sympathize,†he said to his self-confidence.

All he does is practice and he goes in front of the curtain in a week. Since this past late August, by participating in practice, he is constantly, bit by bit, getting into the character. “Practicing all the time, there is not a day where I don’t cry,†Son Dongwoon said as he confessed about getting into Catsby’s emotions. “The ones who were drunk off Catsby’s emotions were, of course, Persu, Sun, and even Houndu, there is not one character who is not sad. Looking at them, even I start crying.â€

The fellow actors who had been casted earlier before leave Son Dongwoon behind in the practice room. “Catsby is a stupidly nice person and Son Dongwoon is the exact same,†they even commented. About this, he said while embarrassed, “I fully sympathize with that world.†“Ever since I was young, I lived as a trainee so my social life started much quicker than others. Getting along with a few people, I’ve gotten used to caring so I think I’ve become nicer Haha If my sweet heart was changed because of Catsby, wouldn’t I look a bit more pitiful and sad?â€

Actors that were casted with him for the Catsby role are Jeong Donghwa and Kang Gidoong. Borrowing an expression that Son Dongwoon uses, Jeong Donghwa and Kang Gidoong are “Daehakno athletes (meaning they have been performing a long time).†About this, he emphasized, “We can never be lazy about practice.â€

“Right now I’m not doing as good as the older members but I’m standing in a similar position so I should do my best. Looking at the real musical actors that I’m working with, I feel inspired. I want to leave a performance with no regrets.â€

Son Dongwoon stood up on the musical stage again 3 years after “Catch Me If You Can.† Because of the group’s activities he was crazily busy so during that time he couldn’t stand up on stage but he never gave up on musicals. But waited till he got better. “3 years ago, I think I knew nothing about musicals. Even now I’m lacking but compared to before, I think maybe I understand a little bit more.â€

This is another member in his group that is active in the performance art world. Yang Yo Seob took on the role of Prince Christopher, which began showing this past September. When we asked about whether or not they ask each other for advice about their shows or if they take advice, he says “We aren’t really the type to ask each other to come to see our shows,†also, “We only exchange light advie and we don’t really talk in-depth,†he answers.

Son Dongwoon and Yang Yoseob, Key (Shinee), Sunggyu (Ininite), Woohyun (Infinite), Ken (VIXX), and many other idols are looking towards the challenge of musicals, and its increasing. Son Dongwoon spoke about the increasing number of idols. “As for idols advancing into musicals, there are many that look negatively about it but, these days many idols have interest in musicals and are doing their best to participate in practicing them. I hope you enjoy it.â€

The dream that Son Dongwoon had to become a singer, when he was young, came true. However, there was a limitation for a member of a group to stand up and be able to sing on stage. But he felt a thirst for this and started looking towards doing musicals. Son Dongwoon says he fell for the musical, that has its own charm, with a melody that melts emotion. After this, he began to dream about becoming an actor standing on stage, over the audience.

Son Dongwoon says in order to pass idols and to rise as a musical actor he put all his passion into ‘The Great Catsby Reboot.’ He hopes that for the audience looking for the theater, they will see Catsby and not Son Dongwoon.

“I think if fans were to see me in this, they’d be very surprised. They would be surprised because they have seen me, not as Catsby, but as Son Dongwoon, right? My target is that I can work hard until I’m not seen as Son Dongwoon, the cute youngest member of BEAST, but as Catsby. It won’t be easy, but I should do my best until the title ‘musical actor’ becomes honorable.â€

Source: http://mnewsculture.heraldcorp.com/a.html?uid=66118&section=sc169

Sorry pictures are too big to put in~
  • Like 6

Our maknae really work hard and practiced alot

And he did great in the musical♡♡ I hope he will do many many musicals in the future

♡♡♡♡

And yes he is caring nice and kind hearted and he fits that catsby well ♡

• Like 2

Our maknae really work hard and practiced alot

And he did great in the musical♡♡ I hope he will do many many musicals in the future

♡♡♡♡

And yes he is caring nice and kind hearted and he fits that catsby well ♡

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this translation! He's such a hardworking guy, I'm so proud to stan!

Thank you thank you thank you! You and Dongwoon are super hardworking! ;-)

Dongwoon... I wish I could really watch his musical. I'm sure he did a great job knowing how much effort he put into preparing. :ilove:

모든 걸 다 ë‚´ë ¤ë†“ì€ ì±„ë¡œ

• Like 1