Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DocumentaLy

YouTube screws American Japanese music fans

So I tried watching the new Kou Shibasaki video, and it said it wasn't available in my country. Then vincenzogrubb told me that Victor and Columbia had blocked their content. I then went to Sakanaction's channel and everything was blocked! I made a post on Arama about it, and then someone from Northern Europe said that nothing was blocked for her. I then tweeted the owner of Sakanaction's English language fansite, who is based in Singapore, and she said nothing was blocked for her either. Then someone else on Arama said that apparently the H!P and AKB channels are now blocked too. He said probably because of YouTube RED. I then got on my VPN, which gives me a Canadian IP address, and everything was fine. This only really affects Americans. So yeah, sucks for us.

I swear the American music industry really wants to be like the Japanese music industry where everyone is forced to pay for their music... but it's not going to work.

I can't wait THE BAWDIES on YouTube anymore. :cry: I mean, it's not that hard to get around or find alternatives... but still.

YouTube Red doesn't launch for another four days, would that really take effect now?

I can't wait THE BAWDIES on YouTube anymore. :cry: I mean, it's not that hard to get around or find alternatives... but still.

YouTube Red doesn't launch for another four days, would that really take effect now?

Apparently things are already being pulled. ESPN pulled all their content from YouTube already.

I swear the American music industry really wants to be like the Japanese music industry where everyone is forced to pay for their music... but it's not going to work.

You can't have something for free and then expect people to pay later. It's why Spotify is a hit and things like Tidal and Apple Music flop.

japanese music industries have always hated youtube anyways

but luckily this time around there are lots of tools to get around this region lock

japanese music industries have always hated youtube anyways

but luckily this time around there are lots of tools to get around this region lock

It's actually not their fault this time it seems. It's YouTube. Channels that were freely available everywhere in the world, ones that actually did put up full videos, are now suddenly not available in the US only.

Dumb question but what the hell is Youtube red? 

Edit: Its ok. Googled it. At times like this, I really miss the old days when youtube wasn't all about the money and copyrights.

Yeah, this definitely seems to be because of Youtube Red and not GYAO (but still, fuck GYAO). Youtube is basically forcing all monetized content creators to allow their videos on the new paid subscription service if they want their videos to also be viewable for free on Youtube. The problem is some companies like ESPN already have contracts that restrict what paid subscription services their videos can be viewed on so they can't simply just accept the new terms, especially with so little advance warning, so they've had to remove the content or block it in the US. So far it's affected labels like Victor, Columbia, Sony (the few videos that weren't already region locked), 48 Groups (except NMB48 for some reason), Hello! Project/Up-front, Pony Canyon, Teichiku, Dreamusic, even indie labels like P-VINE, and probably a lot more. Labels that are still viewable include avex, Warner, and Universal. Some Korean labels are also blocked like Woollim, J. Tune, and Brave ent. If this doesn't get resolved it's pretty much the end of most Japanese music on Youtube for American fans unless you use a VPN or similar service.

Yeah, this definitely seems to be because of Youtube Red and not GYAO (but still, fuck GYAO). Youtube is basically forcing all monetized content creators to allow their videos on the new paid subscription service if they want their videos to also be viewable for free on Youtube. The problem is some companies like ESPN already have contracts that restrict what paid subscription services their videos can be viewed on so they can't simply just accept the new terms, especially with so little advance warning, so they've had to remove the content or block it in the US. So far it's affected labels like Victor, Columbia, Sony (the few videos that weren't already region locked), 48 Groups (except NMB48 for some reason), Hello! Project/Up-front, Pony Canyon, Teichiku, Dreamusic, even indie labels like P-VINE, and probably a lot more. Labels that are still viewable include avex, Warner, and Universal. Some Korean labels are also blocked like Woollim, J. Tune, and Brave ent. If this doesn't get resolved it's pretty much the end of most Japanese music on Youtube for American fans unless you use a VPN or similar service.

This is horrible. How did you find out all those labels' videos are blocked?

And the really bad thing about this is that a number of those labels you named uploaded full videos (they're actually internet-friendly) and its not as if some of their content will be uploaded elsewhere due to them being smaller acts.

This is horrible. How did you find out all those labels' videos are blocked?

And the really bad thing about this is that a number of those labels you named uploaded full videos (they're actually internet-friendly) and its not as if some of their content will be uploaded elsewhere due to them being smaller acts.

By checking videos from each label I could think of. There are probably more that are blocked.

Man, fuck youtube lately. They still haven't made good on their promise to disconnect g+ from youtube, either, and it's been MONTHS.

Going through my music...

A-sketch Oorong-sha is blocked, no more LEGO BIG MORL.

Zankyo is blocked, no more Ame no Parade.

Sputniklab is blocked, no more Denpa Girl.

08yakari is blocked, no more Kenshi Yonezu.

I've read that Youtube Red only affects the US. I'm wondering if this is like an experiment, and they'll implement it worldwide afterward. 

I've read that Youtube Red only affects the US. I'm wondering if this is like an experiment, and they'll implement it worldwide afterward. 

Hopefully not. If they do implement it worldwide, YouTube is basically signing its own death warrant.

Hopefully not. If they do implement it worldwide, YouTube is basically signing its own death warrant.

Yeah. I don't think I'll be paying for it especially if it's on a monthly basis.

Yeah. I don't think I'll be paying for it especially if it's on a monthly basis.

You won't have to. YouTube will continue to be free. YouTube Red is an optional, ad-free version of YouTube. The only people this affects are content creators (those who earn money from their channels). They're all being forced to agree to YouTube Red, or see their content blocked. Which is why you're seeing some Japanese channels blocked. They probably haven't signed an agreement yet. Or they don't want to. In which case, I don't blame them.

You won't have to. YouTube will continue to be free. YouTube Red is an optional, ad-free version of YouTube. The only people this affects are content creators (those who earn money from their channels). They're all being forced to agree to YouTube Red, or see their content blocked. Which is why you're seeing some Japanese channels blocked. They probably haven't signed an agreement yet. Or they don't want to. In which case, I don't blame them.

Thanks for the clarification. 

You can't have something for free and then expect people to pay later. It's why Spotify is a hit and things like Tidal and Apple Music flop.

I don't think Apple Music flopped. It has 6 million paid subscribers, which is more than most streaming services. I'd consider it a failure if overall iTunes revenue continues to decline.

Regarding the Youtube Red issue, I have a feeling that some record labels just haven't been proactive with it. I'll use Up-Front as an example since they're more "into" Youtube than other agencies. They don't use Vevo and their labels don't have a distributor for America, so they have to handle Youtube Red themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they join in due time.