Jump to content
OneHallyu Will Be Closing End Of 2023 ×
OneHallyu

[BREAKING] Koreas end talks, reach an agreement. N.Korea 'regrets' provocations


Eppo

Recommended Posts

SEOUL, Aug. 25 (Yonhap) -- South and North Korea produced an agreement Tuesday on defusing heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula, after days of marathon negotiations, Cheong Wa Dae said.

 

North Korea expressed regret over its provocations and promised that they won't recur -- a key demand of South Korea, said Kim Kwan-jin, President Park Geun-hye's national security adviser.

 

The deal came hours after Park warned South Korea would take measures and continue propaganda broadcasts unless North Korea offered a clear apology and promised not to stage any more provocations.

 

Tensions between the Koreas had risen dramatically in recent weeks after South Korea accused North Korea of being behind a landmine attack that maimed two South Korean soldiers.

 

The North also fired artillery shells across the border last Thursday, prompting South Korea to fire back dozens of shells.

 

The North has denied responsibility in both cases.

 

South Korea agreed to stop anti-Pyongyang broadcasts on condition of no abnormal situations on the Korean Peninsula, Kim said.

 

South Korea has resumed the propaganda broadcasts along the heavily fortified border earlier this month for the first time in 11 years in retaliation against North Korea for the landmine attack.

 

North Korea views the broadcasts critical of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as an insult to its dignity. The isolated country is also concerned that an influx of outside information could pose a threat to Kim.

 

The two Koreas also agreed to push for reunions of families separated by the Korean War in September.

source: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2015/08/25/0200000000AEN20150825000551315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

 

-----

 

I'm glad this is over, I didn't expect it tbh. Hopefully it doesn't mean SK will back down like usual though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's nice. 

I still want to live to see North Korea and South Korea free from this war. And North Korea free from this crazy dictator.

Me too. Unfortunately NK's regime won't go down without a fight. I don't see it imploding on it's own. Their grip is too strong for that

 

I'm happy innocent lives aren't going to be put at risk over some bullshit.

Unfortunately there will always be innocent lives at risk as long as NK's regime remains intact.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's nice. 

I still want to live to see North Korea and South Korea free from this war. And North Korea free from this crazy dictator.

 

Neither side is going to. They both have too much to lose from doing so both in terms of the reality of what would happen if they reunified and the political side with both sides using it for their advantages. As far as DPRK if it's not Jongun it'd be someone else in the Kim family. He's a monarch not a dictator but they're pretty much similar.  

 

I'm glad they worked it out. This time it seemed much more intense and serious then in the past. :\ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me too. Unfortunately NK's regime won't go down without a fight. I don't see it imploding on it's own. Their grip is too strong for that

 

Unfortunately there will always be innocent lives at risk as long as NK's regime remains intact..

So the only way to save the citizens of that country is to go to war? :cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the only way to save the citizens of that country is to go to war? :cry:

Basically.. But war is inevitable anyway. It's just a matter of when, not if. The problem is that NK wants reunification on their terms, which SK obviously will never agree to. As NK's regime is unlikely to implode on it's own, there is only one way out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Basically.. But war is inevitable anyway. It's just a matter of when, not if. The problem is that NK wants reunification on their terms, which SK obviously will never agree to. As NK's regime is unlikely to implode on it's own, there is only one way out

The sad truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATES (more in OP)



N. Korea 'regrets' provocations, promises they won't recur


 


Wow. NK publicly admitted wrongdoing. Never thought i'd see the day. Glad though, that means S.Korea stood their ground and didn't back down.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll call this round of BS over when the NK troops move back away from the front line and their subs are back in port. Until then, it's still on as they have a history of surprises after not getting what they want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

UPDATES (more in OP)

 

Wow. NK publicly admitted wrongdoing. Never thought i'd see the day. Glad though, that means S.Korea stood their ground and didn't back down.

 

 

 

He didn't actually admit wrongdoing though. They simply admitted 'regret' over the situation not remorse or even guilt. It's like saying "I'm sorry that happened" and not "I'm sorry for doing it". You can be sorry something happened without actually being the cause of that something. 

 

Though it is progress, it isn't what those two men deserved.

 

---

 

Otherwise, I was happy to wake up and see that things did turn out how I expected them to. I think everyone had a bit of fear in the back of their minds despite how nonchalant the whole of South Korea's public seemed about everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Back to Top