Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Analysis of the Meaning Behind Big Bang's SOBER MV

Big Bang SOBER So deep I can see Adelle rolling in it

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 riyozzz

riyozzz

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

Thumbnail.jpg

It's not a new thing that Big Bang release music videos which contains of deep and meaningful message in their albums.

On July 1st Big Bang have their comeback with 'SOBER'. The song then lately known containing some meaningful and deep message within, aside of the catchy beat and melody.

In this post, the KpopChartNet redaction team would like interpreting the meaning behind the fancy MV based on the lyrics and the scene.

Are you ready? Let's check out our observation result below!

1. G-Dragon

1.jpg

As in the first scene of the MV is the appearance of G-Dragon. The leader first seen to be in a small space inside his room and suddenly shifted to a green field.

In the scene it is as if G-Dragon is building fantasy of his own world. It is symbolized by the scene where he blow out some smoke from a certain device, while 'smoke' interpret 'dream' or 'fantasy'.

Further, G-Dragon also pictured to fantasize having a beautiful girlfriend just like guys commonly wanted in the scene. The smile he showed in the scene refer to the happiness he feel despite of it's just on his fantasy.

6.jpg

Nonetheless aside of the picture of G-Dragon's happiness as if he owns everything in his life, his life is just pathetic. This is represented by the lyrics which said "Stop acting like you’re all that, You’re actually the most pathetic".

2. Seungri

2.jpg

"This Is Your God" seen written on bunch of papers which is symbolizing 'money' in the MV. Through the scene Seungri portrayed someone who is actually obsessed to wealth that he dreams of buying everything and spend all the money he could.

In the scene of the money partying a board of menus can be seen, which consists of 'excitement', 'pride', 'lust', 'joy' and many others on the list that he could 'buy' with his money.

However in the lyrics Big Bang expresses "If you only chase after money, power and fame Your crotch is gonna rip and you’re gonna fall".

3. Taeyang

3.jpg

The next scene on the screen is Taeyang in the room of smoke shower which imply the conditions of someone who is lulled by their overdosing fantasy. In the scene it is shown that Taeyang is trapped by his own fancy which he ended up can't bear.

The lyrics also said "Hey doctor doctor, please save me because I’m about to go insane"  and "Hey taxi taxi, take me away because this place is too hard to be in".

And again Taeyang seems trapped in his own mind which in the scene he seen to choked to the overdosing smoke (daydream) makes him hard to breathe.

4. T.O.P

5.jpg

"I want to believe" can be seen written on a water tower in T.O.P's part. He is portrayed as someone who put a faith in his dream even though it is considered 'childish' to people around him.

The 'childish' dream is depicted in the scene where he playfully fighting a goat, flip the car with a super power and his playful activities which can be seen in the MV.

In the song T.O.P also sings "The world is cold to me. People’s eyes are prickling on me. I seem like an adult but I’m really a child that’s really tall. My young dreams are just faded fantasies. My mood is like a vast wilderness. People don’t understand me. So I just wanna lose it without even knowing."

4. Daesung

4.jpg

In the MV Daesung play as someone who is tired and sick of the real life job and life. He then run away from the stress by dreaming.

In his scene Daesung fantasize himself as a drummer, while his singing part saying "Time is so damn slow, I’m just growing old, I live like I’m dead. I have so many damn things to do but I have nothing that I want to do" and "It’s hard for me to be sober (stay awake) I can’t do anything. I hate being sober (living the real life)".

However Big Bang also show us how to dream in the right way which is not just an empty fantasy. How? By setting the goal and right direction to help it to be coming true.

7.jpg

The 'DREAMS' sign on the picture above symbolized the dream that we are aiming for and to achieve we will need to process in the right way as like it is symbolized by the 'One Way' sign in the scene.

While the scene where Big Bang members run through a goalpost interpret that we must have a right purpose and way to set on behalf of chasing our dream. Otherwise we will ended up lost in the dream like Seungri in the video. It can be seen that nobody remain to stay along him since he chased his dream in the wrong purpose.

8.jpg

And lastly after achieving the dream and goal we set don't be afraid to set another goal and run for it. Just to keep in mind that you have to do it in the right way.

9.jpg

So, are you ready to chase your dream in the right way with Big Bang? 

SOURCE

#2 KayJayA7X

KayJayA7X

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:14 PM (Edited by KayJayA7X, 02 July 2015 - 10:14 PM.)

As a VIP, I'm still amazed by how deep this is. Looking at the lyrics, I thought it's about a girl going away and thinking she's all that. Listening to the music, I thought it's rather cheerful with a tinge of nostalgia in it, reminding me of BIGBANG's past 9 years of hardships. In laymen's views, this MV's just about craziness.

But who would have thought that BIGBANG's trying to tell us to stay Sober when pursuing our dreams?

At this point, BIGBANG are just a #WallInEverything, really.

#3 Carrot1202

Carrot1202

Idol

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

Wow, that's deep. :shock:

I just think that the MV is weird before reading this. :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

#4 Hoplz

Hoplz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,478 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Awwww

#5 L30

L30

Senior Idol

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

you mean ILLUMINATI?

#6 Honey Thighs

Honey Thighs

#1 Fanboy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

"My young dreams are just faded fantasies. "

m0t1sj4.gif

This actually hits home and gave me chills. All the things I wanted to be when I was a kid, all of my passions and dreams, are nothing more than just distant hobbies now. I gave up so much to be where I am now... granted I'm really happy but those things that used to bring me so much joy are all collecting dust 

Q2Q7QKN.gif

BB why did you slay me??  :cry:

#7 ForgottenSoul

ForgottenSoul

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

i would my dreams to be real tbh 

#8 No More Hiding

No More Hiding

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:19 PM

Damn that was really good input and messages

#9 heronstairs

heronstairs

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:36 AM

such a great read and meaning omg  :cry:  :cry:

#10 Taebaby

Taebaby

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:45 AM

damn. i didnt really think of any of this. 

this is deep stuff. 

I'm amazed again. their MV's so far have all been pretty awesome. 

#11 pmonnie

pmonnie

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

that gd part is so sad plus the screencap

#12 Darkchao45

Darkchao45

Saving The Digital World

• Warrior of Love
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:13 AM

Big Bang is keeping the true meaning of MV's alive, which is to tell a story.

#13 NARA.

NARA.

◀♥Block Baby♥▶

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

...all of them are almost me :cry:

#14 Souloist

Souloist

⌜♡⌟

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

Damn, BB ; - ;

#15 mol

mol

mol ♥ Daesung Oppar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:53 AM (Edited by mol, 03 July 2015 - 03:00 AM.)

I thought the first pic is him coming out of the closet  :happy:

tumblr_nqroft8UW61tr1ilzo1_1280.gif

#16 LoveBB

LoveBB

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:19 AM

as expected, the MV is imbued with so much meaning and nuances and I've missed a few. I'll probably have to slowly watch this MV, over and over again and bit by bit to fully appreciate it. I'm reminded yet again of why I'm a VIP :cry:

#17 Miky

Miky

#EXITSQUAD

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:57 AM (Edited by Miky, 03 July 2015 - 04:58 AM.)

I knew what the MV was about based on the clips and undrstanding the lyrics when seeing it first time and was into the whole dream vs reality type of MV even more knowing that Bba lways has deep MV types even if at first sight might not look like it and MV's that usually connect with the lyrics

BB really has a way of conecting people with their lyrics and to have sad,depressing lyrics while cheerful/vibrating beats

The lyrics are indeed very depressing and mentioned once but don't knowwhy but when the beds are on one frame without GD they looked to me like graveyard stones

#18 honeypeach

honeypeach

"你们没有爱错人"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

Makes me appreciate the MV even more  :stare:

#19 Claudia

Claudia

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

This song & MV seem to be lighthearted & fun until you read the lyrics. It's amazing to realize that there are actually more serious elements in the MV.  Gonna have to rewatch.

#20 PommeDeTerre

PommeDeTerre

Idol

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

Wow.
This increases my respect for the song/mv and also makes me question my analyzing skills.

Up, Up and Away!