• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#1 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

The Ark's Jane's #1 Fan ; Yein's Father

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • LocationMultiplying numbers with Gugudan

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:43 PM (Edited by Kiss Troy Kiss, 19 September 2014 - 09:49 AM.)

Dancing.jpg

Official Dance Thread

Welcome to the Official Dance Thread. This is the Dance equivalent of the Official Vocals Thread. Here, we discuss idols(Both KPOP and JPOP or even Western Idols) ability of dancing. Do not confuse this thread with the Official Dancing Thread as this thread is only towards Idols' Dancing Skills. We answer any questions about an idols' technique on any dance performance, help determine which type of dance that idols are doing or rate idols based on dancing ability.

Types of Dancing

• Contemporary dance: Contemporary dance explores the total movement potential of the body (modern dance, contemporary dance)
  • Jazz Dance: Jazz dance covers a broad range of styles, but generally has developed in conjunction with popular music.
  • Street: Street dance refers to dance styles—regardless of country of origin—that evolved outside.
    Types of Street Dance
    • Popping: Popping refers to the technique of quickly contracting and relaxing muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer's body.
    • Locking: Locking refers to freezing from a fast movement and "locking" in a position, before continuing on in the previous speed.
    • Waacking: Waacking also stems form hip hop and consists of moving the arms to the beat.
    • Krumping: Krumping is a form of street dance that is highly exaggerated, energetic and aggressive and uses the entire body.
    • B-boying/Breaking: B-boying is a popular style of street dance that generally consists of four types of movment: toprock, downrock, power moves and freezes.
    • Urban Dance: Urban dance is a combination of different dance styles, including breakdance, street dance and hiphop.
    • Lyrical Hiphop: Lyrical hip hop dance is a recent development to the hip hop genre and incorporates elements from jazz, tap, ballet and contemporary dance.
    • Hiphop Dance: Hiphop dance refers to dance primarily performed to hiphop or styles that have evolved out of hiphop culture.
  • Dancesport: Dancesport refers to competitive ballroom dancing, as contrasted to social or exhibition dancing and includes the following style categories: Standard/Latin American.
    Latin America Dance
  • Rumba: Rumba refers to dance set to rumba music, which originated in Cuba and is characterized by its percussive rhythms.
  • Cha Cha Cha: Cha-cha-cha is danced to authentic Cuban music, or to Latin Pop or Latin Rock.
  • Samba: Samba hails from Brazil. Samba dance is lively and rhythmical and danced in 2/4 time.
  • Paso Doble: Paso Doble is a traditional dance from Spain played in bullfights.
  • Jive: The jive is a lively and uninhibited variation of the Jitterbug, a form of Swing dance.

Standard Dance

• Waltz: The waltz is a ballroom and folk danceed in triple time.
  • Tango: Tango dancing features a couple dancing dramatically, often set to tango music.
  • Quick step: The quickstep is one the standard ballroom dances, and is fast and powerful.
  • Slow fox trot: The foxtrot or fox trot is a smooth dance characterized by long, flowing movements.
  • Viennese waltz: Viennese Waltz is a genre of a ballroom dance which refers to several versions of the waltz.
  • K-POP Dance: Dance set to K-POP music
  • Ballet: Ballet is a type of performance dance that originated in the Italian Renaissance courts and developed into its concert dance form in France and Russia.
  • Korean dance: Dance in Korea began with shamanistic early rituals and now ranges from folk dance to newly created and adapted contemporary dance.
  • Belly Dance: Belly dance is primarily a torso-driven dance, with an emphasis on the hips.
  • Pole Dance: Pole dance is a form of performance art that combines dance and acrobatics on a vertical pole.
  • Bollywood: Dances featured in Bollywood films, which represent the dances of the common people with original choreography.
  • Salsa: Salsa is a dance form with origins from the Cuban Son and Afro-Cuban dance.
  • Stepping: Stepping or step-dancing is a form of dance that utilizes the performer's entire body as an instrument, via footstops, spoken word and handclaps.
  • Tap dance: Tap dance is a form of dance characterized by using the sound of one's tap shoes hitting the floor.
  • Trepak: Trepak refers to one of the most distinguished and celebrated dances in Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's famous ballet, The Nutcracker.
  • Disco: Disco was popular in the 1970s to 80s and was influenced by funk, Latin and soul music
  • Punk dance: Punk dance is a style of dance when participants push into each other and is associated with more aggressive music genres
  • Hustle dance: The Hustle is a catchall name for some disco dances which were extremely popular in the 1980s.
  • Ballroom Dance: Ballroom dance is a set of partner dances, and can be almost any time of social dancing. 
  • Argentine tango: Argentine tango is the dance that accompanies the a musical genre of the same name of simple quadruple metre and binary musical form.
  • Can-can: Cancan is a high-energy music halldance, traditionally performed by a chorus line of female dancers who wear costumes with long skirts, petticoats, and black stockings
  • Swing Dance: Swing dance is the group of dances that developed with the swing style of jazz music.
  • Lindy Hop: Lindy Hop is an American dance that evolved in Harlem, New York City in the 1920s and 1930s and originally evolved with the jazz music of that time.
  • Rock and roll: Highly athletic dances that are designed for performance and set to rock and roll.
  • Acro dance: Acro dance is a style of dance that combines classical dance technique with precision acrobatic elements.
  • Mambo Dance: Mambo dance is a Latin dance that came from Cuba.
  • Shuffle Dance: The shuffle is a quick dance maneuver that can take various forms.
  • Samba Dance: Samba is a lively, rhythmical dance of Brazilian origin in 2/4 time danced under the Samba music.
  • Broadway Dance: Broadway refers to the street where most musicals in New York take spotlight
  • Pop Dance: Dance-pop is dance-oriented pop music that originated in the early 1980s and is generally up-tempo music made for the clubs.
  • Pop Jazz Dance: A form of jazz that has been modernized and upgraded/
  • Kalinka: Danced under the Kalinka(Russian song)
  • Burlesque: Burlesque dance is a highly sensual form of dance, originally performed by exotic dancers
  • J-Setting: A lead/follow type of dance that mixes hip hop, jazz and vogue.

cr: Lufffy

I do not or have not practiced each and every one of these Dancing Styles. My knowledge is only limited to the following: Street Jazz, Hip-Hop, Modern Jazz, Contemporary, Tap Dance (Basic), and J-Setting.

Anyone who has knowledge of any of these are welcome to help answer any questions regarding Idols and their dancing.

P.S I'm too lazy to type out the characteristics of what makes a good dancer. Anyone willing to type it out for me so I can edit it here will be great.

#2 japan

japan

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

I think someone already made one.

#3 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I think someone already made one.

"Do not confuse this thread with the Official Dancing Thread as this thread is only towards Idols' Dancing Skills."

#4 abraa

abraa

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • LocationKanto

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:46 PM (Edited by abra, 16 August 2013 - 07:51 PM.)

crayon-pop-dancing-queen-1.gif

Who are considered the best female idols when it comes to dancing?

Miss A are supposedly good.

#5 japan

japan

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

"Do not confuse this thread with the Official Dancing Thread as this thread is only towards Idols' Dancing Skills."

My mistake! I didn't see that detail.

#6 Darling

Darling

Edelweiss

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts
  • LocationSunshine 2.0

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

• Tango: Tango dancing features a couple dancing dramatically, often set to tango music.
  • Belly Dance: Belly dance is primarily a torso-driven dance, with an emphasis on the hips.
  • Salsa: Salsa is a dance form with origins from the Cuban Son and Afro-Cuban dance.
  • Tap dance: Tap dance is a form of dance characterized by using the sound of one's tap shoes hitting the floor.
  • Ballroom Dance: Ballroom dance is a set of partner dances, and can be almost any time of social dancing. 
  • Argentine tango: Argentine tango is the dance that accompanies the a musical genre of the same name of simple quadruple metre and 

The best  :ahmagah:

#7 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

The best  :ahmagah:

You must be hispanic  :unimpressed:

#8 itsquinnbro

itsquinnbro

Star

• Events Team
  • 2,256 posts
  • LocationGwanghwamun

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Omg yay.

Who do you guys feel is the best female/male dancer?

#9 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Omg yay.

Who do you guys feel is the best female/male dancer?

I actually haven't thought of who the best male/female dancer is in KPOP.

However, I idolize Alvin Ailey as the best male dancer  :ilove:

As far as KPOP goes, I'll just say HyoYeon and EunHyuk (I'm biased)

#10 Darling

Darling

Edelweiss

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,545 posts
  • LocationSunshine 2.0

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

You must be hispanic  :unimpressed:

Ehh I'm more Swiss

#11 heuieuu

heuieuu

Peasant

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

What would twerking be categorized as?

#12 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

What would twerking be categorized as?

Hip-Hop

#13 Destined2bebossy

Destined2bebossy

f(an), 4nia, Shawol, SayA, Blackjack, SecretTime

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts
  • Locationf(x) window trying to see AmBoobs

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

following.

Groups that I think are really great at dancing are Miss A, After School, and GLAM.

#14 abraa

abraa

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • LocationKanto

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'll ask again... which girl groups stand out from a dancing perspective?

#15 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'll ask again... which girl groups stand out from a dancing perspective?

Oh it seems like you've edited the question. When I first saw it, it was just the gif. I apologize.

I would just say miss A, SNSD, After School, Nine Muses, Rania, T-ARA and Ladies' Code(because I'm biased)

#16 abraa

abraa

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • LocationKanto

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Oh it seems like you've edited the question. When I first saw it, it was just the gif. I apologize.

I would just say miss A, SNSD, After School, Nine Muses, Rania, T-ARA and Ladies' Code(because I'm biased)

I can live with that answer :meow:

I had Miss A, Nine Muses and perhaps SNSD and AS in mind when I asked.

Apart from those on your list 4minute and Kara are OK too, I think. 4m for their stage presence and Kara because they have good choreos.

#17 kokotoro

kokotoro

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationUnder a Blanket

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Would you say expression is also a part of dancing? I've heard people judging one person dancing better than the other just because she's smiling or having naughty/sexy expression.

#18 itsquinnbro

itsquinnbro

Star

• Events Team
  • 2,256 posts
  • LocationGwanghwamun

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Would you say expression is also a part of dancing? I've heard people judging one person dancing better than the other just because she's smiling or having naughty/sexy expression.

Sometimes. I mean, would you be enjoying someone that is dancing with literally no emotion on their face and they look like a robot, or someone that is actually showing emotion while dancing

#19 ♛A Boy Like Troy

♛A Boy Like Troy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Apart from those on your list 4minute and Kara are OK too, I think. 4m for their stage presence and Kara because they have good choreos.

I can't say 4Minute because they haven't shown much of what they can do. It's only until recently when they decided to showcase their dancing. If you notice, their dancing before What's Your Name are really basic and not something that would require much practice. They would perform the same moves from the first verse, into the second verse and I don't like that. I agree that stage presence is good. I suppose KARA is also very good. ^^

I agree with itsquinnbro. Apart of dancing would definitely be emotion and with that comes with facial expression. Your dancing should tell a story and you can't tell a story with no expression.

#20 abraa

abraa

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • LocationKanto

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I can't say 4Minute because they haven't shown much of what they can do. It's only until recently when they decided to showcase their dancing. If you notice, their dancing before What's Your Name are really basic and not something that would require much practice. They would perform the same moves from the first verse, into the second verse and I don't like that. I agree that stage presence is good. I suppose KARA is also very good. ^^

Yeah 4minit has had pretty simple choreos but they do them well and know how to work a stage.

And I'm a bit biased.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dance, Questions, Types of Dance, KPOP, Idols, JPOP

Up, Up and Away!