Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Mandilinn

The Japanese Thread

I want to learn Japanese really badly!!! If anybody could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

um did you even read the op because if you did you would see the giant list of resources...

um did you even read the op because if you did you would see the giant list of resources...

I did but I want to make friends on here I can learn Japanese with, because I think that would make it more fun! Thanks for the input, though.

Edited by Mace!

how long did y’all take to be fluent Japanese because I want to learn it to

Out of curiosity, are any of you using any software for studying? Im referring to flash card lietner-based software for studying ..well, everything. I used to use a software called Stackz, which was good but no longer being updated. Been trying to transition to Anki, but inputting info on the Anki cards is a bit of a pain in the a**.

FYI, I'm a self-learning using the Genki books (text + supplemental) as my main guide.

I never took classes or anything, I learned both kana at once one time and nothing more. Now I translate manga scans and the like for leisure, and I find my knowledge of kanji improving greatly. I do some reading on grammar and verb conjugation on the side. 

how long did y’all take to be fluent Japanese because I want to learn it to

Depend, I spent a year and a half but My Japanese is still really bad. Well, i'm lazy and have poor memory (i also can't understand how the language work). I want to give up but it's my major at the university imstupid.png . My friend spent almost 5 years but still at N3.

Edited by Yuki Michiyo

Out of curiosity, are any of you using any software for studying? Im referring to flash card lietner-based software for studying ..well, everything. I used to use a software called Stackz, which was good but no longer being updated. Been trying to transition to Anki, but inputting info on the Anki cards is a bit of a pain in the a**.

FYI, I'm a self-learning using the Genki books (text + supplemental) as my main guide.

I agree, I'm lazy with adding cards to Anki too but I think you can download shared decks made by other people to use.

Memrise app is also good but I got quite annoyed that there were so many 外æ¥èªž in it.

Not really a software but I'm using Wanikani. It also uses the SRS method like Anki. But this is specifically for kanji and vocab. What I like about it is that you memorise by using the radicals and create stories (pretty much like Remembering the Kanji). You also have to type in your answer so it helps with memorisation. It's not free though but I think it's worth it. 

• Like 1

Hi, anyone can translate these 3 words?

kmOFj_1nKN.jpg

Can you please also write the romanaji? They're hiragana and kanji, right?

I think it roughly means "Melting Sweetness - White Peach - Candy" or in romaji "torokeru amasa - hakutou - kyandi" , looking for a tasty snack ?

I think it roughly means "Melting Sweetness - White Peach - Candy" or in romaji "torokeru amasa - hakutou - kyandi" , looking for a tasty snack ?

Thank you! I bought it yesterday lol

I know you asked this a while ago but honestly I think Anki is the best. I hate inputting each card too so what I do is put everything in a simple excel sheet first then I import that into Anki. Once you format your Anki cards as you want, it's just a matter of uploading things and all the information is automatically filled in. (I hope I explained that well...)

I did use Memrise as well for a couple years, but realized that typing every single word out can be a time waster. I loved the website, I just wished I could format things a little more.

I know you asked this a while ago but honestly I think Anki is the best. I hate inputting each card too so what I do is put everything in a simple excel sheet first then I import that into Anki. Once you format your Anki cards as you want, it's just a matter of uploading things and all the information is automatically filled in. (I hope I explained that well...)

I did use Memrise as well for a couple years, but realized that typing every single word out can be a time waster. I loved the website, I just wished I could format things a little more.

Thanks for replying. I have a whole bunch of cards on Stackz, which I exported out to Excel via text csv. I remember trying to import into Anki using that excel file, but getting wonky results. But I'll give it another try.

Does anyone recommend learning at a beginner level through children's books and tv shows? And what books/shows do you recommend?

I can read hiragana and am learning katakana. I'm finding them harder to remember than hiragana tbh. I'm currenly using Japanese from Zero book 1. It's taking me through basic grammar and lots of new vocab and it has good activities but I want to do something alongside it as it's easy for me to lose motivation when sticking with a workbook.

Edited by Bom

Is there a book that will explain to me how to structure sentences and all that stuff so I would be able to hold a basic coversation without learning all the kanas and kanji. I really want to skip that boss part and get straight to saying shit. I've watched enough anime to be able to read romaji the right way. 

Btw how many dudes are there beside me?

Is there a book that will explain to me how to structure sentences and all that stuff so I would be able to hold a basic coversation without learning all the kanas and kanji. I really want to skip that boss part and get straight to saying shit. I've watched enough anime to be able to read romaji the right way. 

romaji isn't reliable--take figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu's name for example. How would you pronounce "Hanyu"? If you say "Han-yu", then that's wrong because it's actually pronounced "Ha-nyu" but a lot of non-Japanese people think it's pronounced "Han-yu" because they don't realize that the "n" goes together with the "yu" syllable and not with "ha." 

You won't be able to learn proper Japanese without kana imo. I didn't realise how many mistakes I was making in regards to pronunciation until I learnt Hiragana. It only takes a couple of days to memorise. 

romaji isn't reliable--take figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu's name for example. How would you pronounce "Hanyu"? If you say "Han-yu", then that's wrong because it's actually pronounced "Ha-nyu" but a lot of non-Japanese people think it's pronounced "Han-yu" because they don't realize that the "n" goes together with the "yu" syllable and not with "ha." 

^ Nice explanation.

Does anyone recommend learning at a beginner level through children's books and tv shows? And what books/shows do you recommend?

I can read hiragana and am learning katakana. I'm finding them harder to remember than hiragana tbh. I'm currenly using Japanese from Zero book 1. It's taking me through basic grammar and lots of new vocab and it has good activities but I want to do something alongside it as it's easy for me to lose motivation when sticking with a workbook.

I think you can try online stuff like MATCHA - Yasashii Nihongo or hukumusume douwa

For kids TV shows, I think Anpanman and Doraemon are okay.

Good luck! smile.png

You won't be able to learn proper Japanese without kana imo. I didn't realise how many mistakes I was making in regards to pronunciation until I learnt Hiragana. It only takes a couple of days to memorise. 

^ Nice explanation.

or even just a couple of hours.

or even just a couple of hours.

True, I just think it's good to keep reinforcing it for a couple of days bc as easy they are to remember they are quite easy to forget as well. 

Hey guys. I have a ton of japanese books (for reading practice) and textbooks (excluding my fandom magazines and stuff), but Idk what to do with it all. What should I start with? Heres a link to the imgur album bc i suck at forum stuff

https://imgur.com/gallery/1eKbAo3

Edited by baeks

Hey guys. I have a ton of japanese books (for reading practice) and textbooks (excluding my fandom magazines and stuff), but Idk what to do with it all. What should I start with? Heres a pic of my book shelf in spoiler bc big images

N3G6bHPLO3W2pCE_k8UMHCYLPlnlzzDRmv9Y0bnlnlIgKB-yZm_dPcMgTJZLIcn07nHggKo1xPpC_RUmxKw4-d_JsuOuoc6xQJlpjd5Nhr5B2weYU5OsmAY5

you might want to fix your image links. It's showing up as un-clickable link texts. 

here’s a link to the https://imgur.com/gallery/1eKbAo3 '> https://imgur.com/gallery/1eKbAo3 album

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu mobile app

what's your level in Japanese? If you have 0 experience with Japanese so far, I would recommend starting with Genki I first. From what I read on a comment in r/learnjapanese, the Adventures in Japanese series is not self-study friendly at all since it lacks practice and guidance and is something you would need a teacher for. Not sure about Beginning Japanese by Kluemper since I can't find any reviews for that. But Genki is the overall favored Japanese learning textbook since it has clear and easy to follow grammar explanations and is laid out in an organized fashion. 

• Like 1