442 replies to this topic

#441 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

I gave up learning Japanese long ago, but now I kinda regret it because it was easy to learn and I enjoyed it

is there any reason why you can't pick it back up again?

#442 Shi-B

Shi-B

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationValley of the Dolls

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

is there any reason why you can't pick it back up again?

Sadly, yeah

For one this summer is gonna be really busy for me and I'm horrible at multitasking during the school year, so going at it again next year is out of the question. To be honest, school was reason why I dropped it in the first place. When I was learning it was when I had more free time (I could go into details, but that's a long story that I'd rather not type up ^^") and life in general for me was a bit easy. With all the work of next year I don't think now is a good time. I'm not saying that I'll NEVER pick it up again, but I think it'll be awhile before I do.

I still like looking at this thread to see what learning techniques people use though.

#443 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

Sadly, yeah

For one this summer is gonna be really busy for me and I'm horrible at multitasking during the school year, so going at it again next year is out of the question. To be honest, school was reason why I dropped it in the first place. When I was learning it was when I had more free time (I could go into details, but that's a long story that I'd rather not type up ^^") and life in general for me was a bit easy. With all the work of next year I don't think now is a good time. I'm not saying that I'll NEVER pick it up again, but I think it'll be awhile before I do.

I still like looking at this thread to see what learning techniques people use though.

ah I see

I don't really have much time to actually study Japanese anymore, either since I'm working now, so these days all I've been doing is immerse myself in Japanese content like watching anime/Jdramas or listening to Jpop just so to keep up my Japanese listening skills since I don't want to end up forgetting the language like I did with Spanish after I graduated high school. 

@ thread: anyone have tips for processing speech in real time because I have trouble following along and comprehending them, probably because the verb is always at the end and when they get to that, I've forgotten every word that was previously said. It's harder for me to comprehend Japanese sentence structures in speech compared to writing. When my Japanese managers at work speak in Japanese (I work at a Japanese restaurant) I'm like "????? What was that again???"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learning, chat, Japanese, Japan

Up, Up and Away!