429 replies to this topic

#421 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,738 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hey, so does anyone know of a good textbook for self-study? Preferably something that has a workbook to go along with it?

I've been pushing off Japanese a ton since high school kinda got in the way and I lost the structure that I needed (me stopping Japanese school, I mean (had to stop due to regular school https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...)). But now that I'm better at managing time and more committed and determined, I want to pick up Japanese again and study on the weekends like I had been int he past.

If it helps, I'm kind of in between beginner and intermediate level? Like I know how to make sentences and express myself in a basic manner, and I definitely know more than tourist survival Japanese. I've had to write a basic speech before for my class with basic kanji, hiragana, and katakana. I am very weak at vocabulary though, epsecially anything involving kanji.

Genki 

#422 Your Bae

Your Bae

OH's Fetus Queen & EXO's delulu OT12 trash

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts
  • LocationLove Me Right is the Superior K-Pop Song™️️

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Genki 

I was looking through Genki actually, and I don't know if I should start from the beginning or skip straight to volume 2

There's only two volumes correct?

#423 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,738 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

I was looking through Genki actually, and I don't know if I should start from the beginning or skip straight to volume 2

There's only two volumes correct?

Yes. Genki 2 is a continuation of Genki 1 and teaches intermediate level Japanese so if you don't know any Japanese, you won't understand a thing in Genki 2.

#424 Your Bae

Your Bae

OH's Fetus Queen & EXO's delulu OT12 trash

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts
  • LocationLove Me Right is the Superior K-Pop Song™️️

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Yes. Genki 2 is a continuation of Genki 1 and teaches intermediate level Japanese so if you don't know any Japanese, you won't understand a thing in Genki 2.

Perhaps I will get Genki 2 then? I had been studying intermediate for a while until I had to quit Japanese school halfway. Though how "beginner" is Genki 1 would you say?

#425 masayume☆chasing

masayume☆chasing

Certified Girl Groups Inspector

• PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationIn A Jisoo Δ Jihyo Δ Tiffany Triangle

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Though how "beginner" is Genki 1 would you say?

Very beginner since it contains basic grammar like watashi wa XX desu laugh.png 
Get both books, they're like essential Japanese so it won't hurt you to revive your knowledge smile.png

#426 WIIILLLSON IM SORRY!

WIIILLLSON IM SORRY!

キルア=ゾルディック

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:07 AM (Edited by WIIILLLSON IM SORRY!, 15 March 2017 - 08:07 AM.)

Can someone translate this one for me?

Passion for skiing, cross-country, travelling, arts, fashion,geography, politics and music. 

I translated it myself but not sure if its correct.

#427 masayume☆chasing

masayume☆chasing

Certified Girl Groups Inspector

• PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationIn A Jisoo Δ Jihyo Δ Tiffany Triangle

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Passion for skiing, cross-country, travelling, arts, fashion,geography, politics and music. 

In which context do you need this?
I'd personally just put 興味 : all things you'we mentioned above.
Or 興味は ... ... ... ... です。

#428 Seojun

Seojun

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:10 PM (Edited by Seojun, 15 March 2017 - 08:18 PM.)

Hey guys! It's my first time writing on this thread. I was born and raised in Japan.

I hope I can help you guys with my very limited knowledge on the Japanese language. I won't be posting here often since I rarely check OH, but feel free to message or quote me. =)

You could approach this from a variety of perspectives.

If I were to translate this sentence without being given any context, I wouldn't assign any special meaning to "passion" -- in other words, I wouldn't assume that you're using "passion" as in "strong feeling of interest/love". In that sense, you could work with the following structure:

○、○○、そして○○○に対する情熱(・・・)。

Aside from the "に対する情熱", the remainder of this structure may vary. You could list things differently, or end up with other ending to fit what you're trying to convey.(・・・)in this case indicates a free choice, and you can adapt that to your needs.

Example 1:
音楽に対する情熱がありそうな~
You seem to be passionate about music~

Example 2:
先生には教えてくれた方程式に対する情熱があると気づいた。
I noticed that the professor is very passionate about the equations he teached me.

Would you mind providing some context along with what you came up with in terms of translation? We can go from there, as to make sure you get your point across.

Even providing a specific meaning for "passion", in this case, would narrow down the options. For instance, you could use the "興味は" structure suggested by masayume☆chasing if you want to say that you have a particular interest for those subjects. Similarly, if you want to express your liking towards those, even the simple "○○が(大)好き" would convey a valid message without losing that much of a nuance.

#429 WIIILLLSON IM SORRY!

WIIILLLSON IM SORRY!

キルア=ゾルディック

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

Hey guys! It's my first time writing on this thread. I was born and raised in Japan.

I hope I can help you guys with my very limited knowledge on the Japanese language. I won't be posting here often since I rarely check OH, but feel free to message or quote me. =)

You could approach this from a variety of perspectives.

If I were to translate this sentence without being given any context, I wouldn't assign any special meaning to "passion" -- in other words, I wouldn't assume that you're using "passion" as in "strong feeling of interest/love". In that sense, you could work with the following structure:

○、○○、そして○○○に対する情熱(・・・)。

Aside from the "に対する情熱", the remainder of this structure may vary. You could list things differently, or end up with other ending to fit what you're trying to convey.(・・・)in this case indicates a free choice, and you can adapt that to your needs.

Example 1:
音楽に対する情熱がありそうな~
You seem to be passionate about music~

Example 2:
先生には教えてくれた方程式に対する情熱があると気づいた。
I noticed that the professor is very passionate about the equations he teached me.

Would you mind providing some context along with what you came up with in terms of translation? We can go from there, as to make sure you get your point across.

Even providing a specific meaning for "passion", in this case, would narrow down the options. For instance, you could use the "興味は" structure suggested by masayume☆chasing if you want to say that you have a particular interest for those subjects. Similarly, if you want to express your liking towards those, even the simple "○○が(大)好き" would convey a valid message without losing that much of a nuance.

woah thanks.

well this is just a simple bio I wrote in one  of the sites I am  using. :) I guess when I said 'passion' , it means I have a huge interest with this particular fields. (sorry about my english. it's not my first language smile.png )

#430 Seojun

Seojun

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:54 AM (Edited by Seojun, 16 March 2017 - 11:00 AM.)

woah thanks.

well this is just a simple bio I wrote in one  of the sites I am  using. https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... I guess when I said 'passion' , it means I have a huge interest with this particular fields. (sorry about my english. it's not my first language https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... )

Don't worry, your English is great!

I see. In that case, there's no need to go all fancy with grammar and expressions. A simple "○、○○、○○○が(大)好きです" (1) should be enough to show your interest. Other words you might want to consider using are 趣味 (しゅみ, hobby, taste)(2) and 興味 (きょうみ, interest, zest)(3).

Examples:

(1)
僕は音楽好き。
lit. I like music.
fig. I'm interested in music / I enjoy music.

(2)
趣味としても今後はしたいよな。。
I want to do it from now on, even as just a hobby...

やはり、趣味の広いやつだ。

So you're a guy with many interests, after all.

(3)
おまえ、教えて!興味があるのよ!!
Tell me! I'm curious!!

興味のあることはいっぱい。
I'm interested in a lot of things.

I hope I was able to give you some insight on how to talk about your interests/passions/hobbies. =)

Edit: 
Oh, and to address your original question on a more precise note, you could work with masayume☆chasing's suggestion or the ones I gave you on my previous post. All of those would convey the message well enough. Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learning, chat, Japanese, Japan

Up, Up and Away!