466 replies to this topic

#401 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hajimemashite, Shannon desu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

BTW, why isn't there a Korean language learning thread? Or is there? If not, someone should really create one.

there used to be one a couple months ago but it died and it was never made into a sticky. 

#402 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

Hajimemashite, Shannon desu. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

BTW, why isn't there a Korean language learning thread? Or is there? If not, someone should really create one.

Someone made a Korean language learning thread this afternoon: http://onehallyu.com...-korean-thread/

#403 .::Hana::.

.::Hana::.

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Locationunder an autumn tree

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:35 AM (Edited by .::Hana::., 22 October 2016 - 07:36 AM.)

i'm trying to translate this sentence and I'm kinda in a fixed now

怒られからって 静かにしないのいつも通りにしなさい

is 通りに is "to act according to ~"? Then is this sentence along the line of "since you were scolded don't just keep quiet"?

#404 coreofsoul

coreofsoul

Superstar

• Translator
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

is 通りに is "to act according to ~"? Then is this sentence along the line of "since you were scolded don't just keep quiet"?

this looks like two sentences put together. 怒られたからって静かにしないの。いつも通りにしなさい。

いつも通り(に) is a set phrase that means "as usual". 

#405 whoinside

whoinside

Idol

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationWill be away for a while

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

Like coreofsoul said, it should be "怒られたからって静かにしなの、いつも通りにしなさい" ----> "Don't stay quiet just because you were scolded, be yourself/act like your usual self"

#406 topherkeer

topherkeer

☆ stanning the best ☆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Locationfinna licc that crispy croissant

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

I have this homework due for tomorrow and I completely forgot my notes at my friend's apartment, so I need to know if I understand what I'm doing.

I'm currently learning to form sentences with verb te-form + てください

My exercise is asking to make a sentence with : すみません, (しお, とる) then it's

すみません, しおをとってください? Pass me the salt?

Is it formed the same kind of way with てもいいです and てはいけません?

#407 nanonano

nanonano

Idol

• PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Location51.903°N -0.025°E

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

I have this homework due for tomorrow and I completely forgot my notes at my friend's apartment, so I need to know if I understand what I'm doing.

I'm currently learning to form sentences with verb te-form + てください

My exercise is asking to make a sentence with : すみません, (しお, とる) then it's

すみません, しおをとってください? Pass me the salt?

Is it formed the same kind of way with てもいいです and てはいけません?

yes :)

#408 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

Thinking of picking up Japanese again after a decade of neglect. I don't mind spending some money on resources. Are books like Genki I good? Or are the better ones for beginner level?

#409 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thinking of picking up Japanese again after a decade of neglect. I don't mind spending some money on resources. Are books like Genki I good? Or are the better ones for beginner level?

Genki is very good. It's used in a lot of Japanese classes.

#410 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Genki is very good. It's used in a lot of Japanese classes.

what else would be good to supplement it and what are some ways you'd recommend learning extra vocabulary. I always found vocabulary lists tedious and boring.

#411 masayume☆chasing

masayume☆chasing

Certified Girl Groups Inspector

• Oh!Pressor
  • 3,280 posts
  • Location✨🍭✨🍭✨

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:19 PM (Edited by masayume☆chasing, 22 January 2017 - 03:19 PM.)

what else would be good to supplement it and what are some ways you'd recommend learning extra vocabulary. I always found vocabulary lists tedious and boring.

Hmmmm, I recommend you going step by step and learn all the stuff Genki has to offer first.

I know you want to learn a language fast and now - we all do.

But sometimes the process of becoming good at something takes a lot of time and effort.

If you really wanna pick extra vocabulary, I recommend anime and youtube channels for learning basic Japanese. And also apps if you are that kind of a learner. 

#412 Nev Schulman

Nev Schulman

Real Slow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,507 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

I need an easier explanation on how to use particles

#413 titty girl

titty girl

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

i'm not sure what method you like when learning vocab, but i own a really great book for vocabulary that i recommend. it's called 日本語単語スピードマスター (Japanese vocabulary speed master) http://www.cdjapan.c...ct/NEOBK-916979

it's great because the whole book teaches you only vocabulary but provides example sentences for each entry and comes with an audio CD and english translations. i think learning vocabulary with context is important and makes it easier to remember words

#414 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

i'm not sure what method you like when learning vocab, but i own a really great book for vocabulary that i recommend. it's called 日本語単語スピードマスター (Japanese vocabulary speed master) http://www.cdjapan.c...ct/NEOBK-916979

it's great because the whole book teaches you only vocabulary but provides example sentences for each entry and comes with an audio CD and english translations. i think learning vocabulary with context is important and makes it easier to remember words

the book you linked to is geared towards JLPT N3 learners, so I don't think it'd be appropriate for silverlining (N3 books tend to have more intermediate level vocab). They'd want to get a N4-N5 version of the book if they are a complete beginner: http://www.cdjapan.c...ct/NEOBK-754186

#415 titty girl

titty girl

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

the book you linked to is geared towards JLPT N3 learners, so I don't think it'd be appropriate for silverlining (N3 books tend to have more intermediate level vocab). They'd want to get a N4-N5 version of the book if they are a complete beginner: http://www.cdjapan.c...ct/NEOBK-754186

oh thanks! i didn't realize there was another version of the book

#416 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

I saw N3 and then also saw that they had materials fro N5-1. 

A bit off topic but anyone know similar materials for Chinese. I speak it at a conversational level but can't read it except for some absolute basics. 

#417 Sunnydumplings

Sunnydumplings

Senior Idol

• Events Team
  • 556 posts
  • LocationVIP HQ

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

はじめまして、Sunny です。ここからよろしくお願いします。

私は 日本語 がすこしわかります。皆さんの助けてをしていたいです。

In English as well, because I can understand people won't translate this.

My name is Sunny. I understand a bit of Japanese but of course am willing to learn more and be of help wherever needed.

#418 Secre

Secre

Hyungseob's Electric Boy

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationBlowing Lee Soo Man To Finally Release Exo's Teasers

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:27 PM

Do any of you teach Japanese 

#419 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

Do any of you teach Japanese

I don't think anyone does but I can link you to some good sources.

#420 Your Bae

Your Bae

OH's Fetus Queen & EXO's delulu OT12 trash

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,290 posts
  • LocationLove Me Right is the Superior K-Pop Song™️️

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:29 PM (Edited by Your Bae, 02 March 2017 - 10:30 PM.)

Hey, so does anyone know of a good textbook for self-study? Preferably something that has a workbook to go along with it?

I've been pushing off Japanese a ton since high school kinda got in the way and I lost the structure that I needed (me stopping Japanese school, I mean (had to stop due to regular school rlytearpls.png)). But now that I'm better at managing time and more committed and determined, I want to pick up Japanese again and study on the weekends like I had been int he past.

If it helps, I'm kind of in between beginner and intermediate level? Like I know how to make sentences and express myself in a basic manner, and I definitely know more than tourist survival Japanese. I've had to write a basic speech before for my class with basic kanji, hiragana, and katakana. I am very weak at vocabulary though, epsecially anything involving kanji.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learning, chat, Japanese, Japan

Up, Up and Away!