Photo

My Best Shoujo Recommendations

Shoujo manga Review Recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#61 fccloud

fccloud

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:58 AM (Edited by fccloud, 07 January 2015 - 02:06 PM.)

Hi :)

It seems as if all most of my favorite mangas have already been mentioned in earlier posts (Love so Life, Hirunaka No Ryuusei, Ao Haru Ride & Taiyou No Ie). Therefore, I decided to share a few "One Shot" Mangas that I enjoyed reading:

- Title: Nekomori

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/1

- Tags/ Genres: ComedyOne ShotRomanceSchool LifeShoujoSupernatural

- Summary*: Ai Nekomori can see the "doors" to people's hearts, meaning their thoughts. Therefore, he can't trust anyone and never opens his heart.. But then he meets the upbeat, tomboy Ritsu Sengoku, who says whatever she's thinking. Can she open his heart?

- Example of Artwork: http://mangafox.me/manga/nekomori/c000/3.html 

- Title: 'Hajimete' Ageru

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/1

- Tags/ Genres: One ShotRomanceSchool LifeShoujo

- Summary: Sayu was quite surprised when the popular Yano-senpai told her that he likes her. Nevertheless, she is still happy to go out with him. But when others start asking why would Yano-senpai want to go out with someone like her, Sayu can’t help but also wonder why...

- Example of Artwork: http://mangafox.me/manga/hajimete_ageru/v01/c001/3.html

- Title: Kanjuku Summer End

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/1

- Tags/ Genres:  One Shot, Romance, Shoujo, Slice Of Life

- Summary: Love blossoms like a ripe tomato at the end of summer.

*(The summaries were gathered from mangafox.com)

#62 jay-zee-Q

jay-zee-Q

Trainee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Oooh finally some great recommendations. I was giving up.on searching for some good manga's to read. I was actually looking for something similar and not those "whining, crying, saving, I'll protect you" mangas😖. Not that I am being disrespectful towards that but that's just not my thing. These are some pretty great recommendations thanks!

#63 jay-zee-Q

jay-zee-Q

Trainee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:43 PM (Edited by jay-zee-Q, 13 January 2015 - 08:46 PM.)

Though there are really great recommendations but I am suprised as to how noone mentioned "the one" and "black haze".

Title: The One

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: volume 18/chap 110, completed

- Tags/ Genres: comedy, romance, phycological, mature, shojo, slice of life

- Summary:Lele was born into the fashion industry. Both her parents were models, and they both die in a tragic airplane crash leaving a 5-year-old Lele orphaned. Therefore, it is no surprise that Lele hates the industry, thinking it’s superficial and unnecessary!
Raised by her maternal grandmother, Lele reaches seventeen years of age before she is sucked in when her mother's sister – a fashion model agent and former model, convinces the reluctant Lele to model. Lele had been adverse to the whole idea, until she sees a photo shoot of popular American model Angus Lanson, and she begins to see modeling as an art form.
When Aunt Fei's magazine editor invites Angus Lanson to a meeting of all the top fashion ambassadors, a curious Lele is invited to meet him. She does not know that Angus' twin elder brother, Eros Lanson, is secretly accompanying his brother. This obviously leads to confusion and is the start of a charming story of Lele's goals: fashion in NYC, becoming a top model, and…love???

- Example of Artwork :

http://mangafox.me/m...01/c001/11.html

- Recommendations

Pros:great artwork, can understand how the story is moving. Attractive male female leads/supporting leads. Strong female lead. Nicky lee has done one amazing job. Every chapter is as funny and griping with thriller. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Cons:

Overall: it's an amazing peice of work the storyline is great not like that sobby/whinny stories that usually one find in shoujo mangas. And anyone whose looking for something funny with a mature story plot I think this is the one it has everything.

#64 jay-zee-Q

jay-zee-Q

Trainee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Title:black haze

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing chapters 89

- Tags/ Genres:action, fantasy, school life, webtoons

- Summary: After a mission gone awry, the doubtful main character, Rood, is sent to a famous magic school, Helios. Here, he must protect an important person's son who has a very bad time at the school.

- Example of Artwork: http://mangafox.me/m...ze/c001/10.html
- Recommendations

Pros: this is another awesome piece of artwork. Everything is drawn clear and you can easily understand as to what's going on. Strong male /female characters. Though the lead male is a 14 year old boy but he's very much mature of his age. Story is pretty gripping. Every chapter is as funny as the previous one. The conversation between character is clever and slapstick.😄

Cons: though at some chapters you might feel like the story is being stretched a bit but it's not boring.

Overall: though I just stumbled upon it. I guess right way to say would be that I was watching tv and I had my cell in my hand and when I looked at the screen this manga was opened and so I started reading it just to see if it's good enough and I am glad that I did. It's one of the funniest manga I've ever read. And this is the only manga that I look forward for the next chapters. I am simply in love with this manga. Though it's not shoujo but its worth reading and I can bet anyone who reads it, won't be able to put it down.

#65 AnX1996

AnX1996

Trainee

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

hey everyone :) I'm new here so I don't really know how this whole thing works, but I luckily found this thread and would like to share two of my favourite shoujo mangas :) (sorry if any of these mangas were already mentioned and sorry for my bad english :S)

so here we go :) :

-Titel: Sugars 

-Artist: Yamamori Mika

-Status/No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing; 14 chapters

-Tags/Genres: Romance,School Life, Shoujo

-Summary:A collection of six short stories per volume that revolve around a chain of people.

-Example of Artwork:

tumblr_inline_mwvpq11NHM1rdbmxr.jpg

-Pros: The Artwork is simple, yet beautiful and the characters are not the usual kind of shoujo characters (cry-baby, cool guy etc.). They are all unique and have their own personal problems, which the reader can pretty much relate to.The story is easy to read, but still manages to make you feel happy. I would totally recommend you this manga!!!

-Cons: Don't expect something too dramatic...but then again that's a positive point I guess (well depends on what you like) :)

-Overall: Those stories are really cute and I really like to read those short stories over and over again. For those of you, who kinda like something more dramatic (like break ups, mental break downs, relationships going up and down, rivalry etc.), it might not be the best choice, but still this manga is really heart-warming.

-Titel: 14 Sai no Koi 

-Artist: Mizutani Fuka

-Status/No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing; 55 chapters

-Tags/Genres: Comedy,Romance,Josei,School Life,Shoujo

-Summary: A story about two unusually mature young people. They are both smart, very together and they are in love. But, as grown-up as they act, they are still just 14 and their feelings for each other are captured with tenderness and lack of nostalgia, but very cutely.

-Example of Artwork:

rROHYUm8aBWqmirxkWJ4eY5RFJEc-lzoUxdEAxsw

-Pros: This manga will make your heart flutter...definetely!!! It's the small details that make this manga so special. The reader gets to know the real feelings behind their mature mask and starts to sympathise with the main characters.

-Cons: The first thing, that kinda bugged me was the artwork (but I'm usually very picky with the drawing), but it's actually not that bad either. You may find it a bit disturbing that not every chapter connects to the previous one, so basically every chapter has it's own "topic" and it's not always about the main characters.

-Overall: It's a cute typicall shoujo manga, but it's still special in its own way. i usually tend to dislike the female main character, but this time I actually like her, although she's quite the girly type. Whenever you read this manga you can actually feel the atmosphere going on between the characters which again is a positive point. 

#66 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

- Title: Nanohana No Kare

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: 7 chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, School Life

- Summary: Nanoka is a quiet and cute girl who has just started high school. But she finds herself unable to keep up with her friends who are always talking about their boyfriends. She had a horrible experience when she dated a boy in middle school, where he spread rumours about her and treated her insensitively. One day, by what could only seem as due to fate, she meets a boy who represents the complete opposite of what she has feared about relationships and what it means to truly love.

- Example of Artwork  *Avoid Spoilers*:

superthumb.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros:​ Art is actually very clean, and character models are distinct and utterly adorable. I like the twist in terms of age gaps and how both the guy AND the girl need to work together to make a relationship happen. I think it effectively shows some of the real challenges faced in trusting and loving someone unlike my mother is a billionaire who's trying to separate us =-=

Cons:​ There's not much to go on as of yet. But it's definitely got the cheese. Bu who doesn't like a little bit of fluff?

Overall: This is a really good one, and I can tell it's going to be popular. It's got all the right factors. It's also genuinely heartwarming because the female lead is really likeable, and you as the reader are really rooting for this uber pure relationship to work out

#67 AYOSHIARI

AYOSHIARI

ꦠꦿꦺꦱ꧀ꦤꦺꦴ​ꦱ꧀ꦭꦶꦫꦩꦸ

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

- Title: Nanohana No Kare

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: 7 chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, School Life

- Summary: Nanoka is a quiet and cute girl who has just started high school. But she finds herself unable to keep up with her friends who are always talking about their boyfriends. She had a horrible experience when she dated a boy in middle school, where he spread rumours about her and treated her insensitively. One day, by what could only seem as due to fate, she meets a boy who represents the complete opposite of what she has feared about relationships and what it means to truly love.

- Example of Artwork  *Avoid Spoilers*:

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/100075223...

- Recommendations

Pros:​ Art is actually very clean, and character models are distinct and utterly adorable. I like the twist in terms of age gaps and how both the guy AND the girl need to work together to make a relationship happen. I think it effectively shows some of the real challenges faced in trusting and loving someone unlike my mother is a billionaire who's trying to separate us =-=

Cons:​ There's not much to go on as of yet. But it's definitely got the cheese. Bu who doesn't like a little bit of fluff?

Overall: This is a really good one, and I can tell it's going to be popular. It's got all the right factors. It's also genuinely heartwarming because the female lead is really likeable, and you as the reader are really rooting for this uber pure relationship to work out

Hey, I've been following your shoujo recs and I like it. |Thank you very much. I really like Ao Haru Ride, Strobe Edge, Bokura Ga Ita, Sprout, Orange, Kimi Ni Todoke kind of genre and artwork, can you recommend me some stuff similar to those stories? Preferably completed :)

#68 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hey, I've been following your shoujo recs and I like it. |Thank you very much. I really like Ao Haru Ride, Strobe Edge, Bokura Ga Ita, Sprout, Orange, Kimi Ni Todoke kind of genre and artwork, can you recommend me some stuff similar to those stories? Preferably completed :)

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply to this!

Those are the type of manga that I would usually refer to as general shoujo recs. They are extremely popular and well known, and they generally fall into the slice of life category/ school life. 

I would go through the general shoujo recs here first.

From your list, the ones that I would personally suggest are Kamisama Hajimemashite, Dengeki Daisy (I think this JUST completed),  Hana kun to Koisuru Watashi (this one is actually a really fun read. Kind of like Bokura Ga Ita. It updates regularly as well), Taiyou No Ie, Maid Sama! (You'll probably like it if you liked Kimi Ni Todoke, it's got a similar sense of humour), Koukou Debut (YASSSSS @ Classic), Koizura (similar to Bokura Ga Ita), Lovely Complex (shoujo rom-com dream stuff), Otomen (this is from a guy's pov but it is OH so Shoujo). Sora Log (it's cheesy but it is good), Saiunkoko Monogatari (historical manga but the art is amazing as is the story), Hibi Chouchou (GORGOUS+ similar story to Kimi Ni Todoke). 

But yeah, take a look through the list yourself, see which artwork/ story summary appeals to you and go for it!

I'll look through myanimelist as well

-14 sai no Koi (good art, romantic, school life)

-Hirunaka no Ryusei (I guarantee you'll LOVE it. It's definitely down your alley. It's completed as well)

- Heroine Shikkaku OR Sensei Kunshu (Heroine is completed and it is good)

-Aruitou (It's a good one that I'm currently reading. A little metaphysical for some, but it's solid. By the same author of Parfait Tic)

-Boku to Kimi to de niji ni Naru (probably spelt that wrong. I actually REALLY like this one, I've been meaning to rec it for a while now. The art is gorgeous and the story is nice as well)

- Butter!!! (Art is a little different, but I actually love this series. Very slice of life and realistic)

- Cafe-Cafe (It's a cute story that's coming along well)

- Cheerful days (I've recced this before)

-Cheese in teh trap (YEASSS. You would like this)

-Hana to Rakurai (Very similar to what you're looking for. Art is awesome as well)

- Honey (This is another very popular shoujo in Japan. It's got the whole sweet first love thing going on)

-Horimiya (Similar rom-com stuff + pretty art)

-Koisuru Harinezumi (it's pretty cute)

-Ore Monogatari!! (One of my favorite manga currently serializing. Artsyle is similar to Orange)

-ReCollection (Same author as Orange)

-Stand Up! (Great slice of life with STUNNNIIINNNGG art) also try Yajirobee (aka A Balancing Toy) OR Tomodachi Ijou

-Yumemiru Taiyou (same author as Orange, similar art and vibe)

These are my recommendations based on my taste, but your's may be completely different!

Here is myanimelist. In it is listed all teh manga I've read so far (or most of tehm at least). Click on the manga that you previously enjoyed like Kimi Ni Todoke or that you want to know more about for recommendations based on that manga or for the summary.

Hope this helps!

Up, Up and Away!