Photo

My Best Shoujo Recommendations

Shoujo manga Review Recommendations

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#21 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

- Title: Apple

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ Oneshot

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Fantasy, Comedy, Action

- Summary: Satoshi looks like a pretty guy, but he’s actually some sort of experiment gone wrong who has the ability to destroy the world. Despite the heavy title, he actually just wants to live the rest of his life in his peace.

- Example of Artwork  *Avoid Spoilers*:

apple-1174428.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Art is so so pretty, and the backgrounds are really well done as well. Characters are lively, funny, but the story overall is still strong and touching. It's such a unique series as well. 

Cons: This should have been longer than 1 chapter. It really should have. There was so much potential in here in terms of characters and story that should have been developed upon. But Alas.

Overall: really interesting and memorable little oneshot that is much more unique than the usual shoujo oneshot.

- Title: Hanshin

- Tags/ Genres: Drama, Psychological, Shoujo

- Summary: Yudy and Yucy are conjoined twins, but are complete opposites of each other, Yudy is smart but ugly because her nutrient are used up by the beautiful but empty headed Yucy. But are they truly separate, or even truly two unique identities?

hanshin-1603656.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: This story is INTENSE. Extremely dark, a little twisted, it's very short but it leaves a lot of impact. The characters and their psyches are presented extremely well, and their emotions are raw. The character designs as well, they are imbibed with symbolism, and they pack a lot of punch when it comes to emotional impact.

Cons: This art is OLD. really old. It's not like a lot of other older shoujo as well where it's still neat and clean despite it's age. But if you can look past the art, you will find a story that's really unique and beautiful despite it's almost gruesome depiction of reality.

Overall: Another intersting shoujo oneshot, but with themes I think a lot of people will resonate with or at the very least be fascinated by.

#22 MALEFISEOK

MALEFISEOK

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Bookmarking this thread right now. Thanks for all the recommendations.

#23 Puppet&Puppeter

Puppet&Puppeter

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

- Title: Natsume Yuujinchou

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing / 16 volumes

- Tags/ Genres : comedy, drama, psycological, supernatural

- Summary: this story revolve around Natsume and his cat-like pet which is a youkai. He has a strong power, he can see youkai (a japanese ghost) just like his grandmother, Reiko. His grandma, Reiko, used to 'bully' youkai and bound them through a book with spells. That book name's is The Book of Friend, and now handed down to Natsume.
Because of that book, he's being chased everyday by youkais. Natsume spends his days dissolcing the contracts that bind youkai.

94lbZU8.png

- Recommendations

Pros: This story is addictive cause it's about Natsume and various youkais with their adventure. Every characters are lovely and endearing. Full of meaningful, heartwarming moments but no romance.

Cons: repetitive and slow. The art is a bit rough.

- Title: Akagami no Shirayukihime

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing / 10 volumes

- Tags/ Genres : comedy, drama, historical, romance, fantasy

- Summary:  Shirayuki is a young woman born with unique apple-red hair. After catching word about her hair, Prince Rajin sends orders for her to become his concubine. With nowhere else to go, Shirayuki cuts her hair and escapes to a neighboring country. While traversing through the forests, she meets a young man, Zen, who helps her after she boldly cures his wounds. He soon, however, becomes poisoned by an apple meant for Shirayuki. What will happen to Shirayuki? What is Zen’s true character? A refreshing fantasy story between an optimistic heroine and a prince who constantly stays on her watch.

(cr : bakaupdates)

fLXIkdb.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The plot isn't too typical of shoujo. It has romance but not much. The art and story are sweet, simple, neat, calming but for the art is so detailed. The pacing is nice and moves along smoothly and surely.

Cons: for some peoples will find it bland because of slow development of characters.

- Title: Love so Life

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: ongoing / 11 volumes

- Tags/ Genres : comedy, drama, slice of life, romance,

- Summary:  Shiharu is a high-school student who loves kids, lives in an orphanage, and works at a daycare... Until the handsome uncle of two-year-old twins offers her a raise if she'll be their babysitter. Often relying on memories of her mother's actions for guidance, Shiharu quickly finds herself falling in love with her new makeshift family.

i1HADII.png

- Recommendations

Pros: full of sweets, the story itself is very cute with neat, pretty and good arts (which is very shoujoish). It's seems realistic and refreshing. You will bound to love the twins.

Cons: slow romance.

#24 Puppet&Puppeter

Puppet&Puppeter

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Most of my favorite shoujo mangas have recommended before. I can't be more helpful here.

#25 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 05 October 2013 - 09:50 PM.)

Most of my favorite shoujo mangas have recommended before. I can't be more helpful here.

Natsume Yujinchou and AnS! Yes! I love those series! And I hadn't heard about Love so Life, but thanks to you I'm starting to read it and I'm loving it as well~ They are all great recs! Please, if you find some more, post them up here, because I am loving your choices.

Same to everyone else who reads this thread as well. If you have shoujo series that you really like, please post them up! I certainly haven't read anywhere close to all of them, and the one that everyone else here recced were all incredible, and very different from what I usually read.

Anyways, I was going to post these earlier, but then the site went down. Randoms.

- Title: Nanairo Sekai

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ 4 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Oneshots, Romance, Drama, Shonen-ai

- Summary: An eclectic mix of oneshots dealing with love at the bus stop to a blooming relationship at the hospital between unlikely individuals

nanairo_sekai_v01_c01_p012.jpg?w=500

- Recommendations

Pros: I love the art style, it's the same mangaka as Watashitachi no Shiwase na Jikan, and the style is identical, with realistic proportions and very fluid character models. I also liked the self contained yet satisfying nature of the oneshots, it developed the characters and stories fully. Also, these stories are clever. Really clever. They aren't your typical shoujo one shots by a long shot, they are much more sophisticated than that.

Cons: None really.

Overall: There is a story featuring shonen-ai, however the majority of compilation is about male female pairings. These are very well done oneshots that leave lasting impressions.

- Title: Akai Michi

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, Supernatural

- Summary: The girl awakens to find a red string attached to her finger. Where does it lead to?

tumblr_mbhzl0kf8L1rag3b4o1_1280.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Art is super unique, detailed and realistic which suits the overall story. 

Cons: I wish it had developed teh story a little more, it was rather predictable, but oh well, it is a one shot after all

Overall: An interesting one shot, and one that is beautifully drawn. Note, in Asian cultures, a red string supposedly ties you to your fated person, hence the significance of the red string in teh story.

- Title: Love Letter

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ 4 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Seinen, Romance, Historical, Drama

- Summary: It's the story of a young couple in Japan during WW2

loveletter.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Very seinen like art, meaning it's very clean and crisp, with heavy emphasis upon contrast in toning. Overall a realistic looking piece with elegant character models. The story and it's dialogue as well, it's realistic and hard hitting. 

Cons: I thought the story was a little predictable. But because there was such an emphasis upon characterization here, teh emotions that were built up were still very raw and gripping.

Overall: A beautiful story. However, and should be noted, this is a Japan-centric view of teh conflict. Also contains themes that some people may be sensitive about. If you are offended by such material, you should probably steer clear.

- Title: Mielino Kashiwagi

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ 22 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Seinen, Drama, Romance

- Summary:  Kashiwagi has a really unique ability, if she touches you, she can tell who your future love will be! The thing is though, she works at a really strange place called “break-up cafe” and just as the name implies, they get hired in helping people to break up.

a9361e1d9f814088008bd7a91e5f4cec.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Again, art is very seinen like, but with more emphasis upon a highly stylized sense. This story is funny, it deals with teh cases in episodic manner, and the variety of the couples lend for some pretty fun moments. The characters are all varied, but yet still well rooted, and teh main girl is amazing. She's not stupid, but she's not over the top in her smarts either/ A regular and relatable girl, who's thoughts and concerns allow the reader to really relate to this wacky world teh mangaka has created.

Cons: Sometimes the story gets a little lost in itself, but it's nothing too serious. I also wished they had developed teh main relationship a bit more ugh, but I'll take what I get.

Overall: A unique series that is free of those annoying cliche shoujo moments, and filled with clever humour as ell as an interesting premise. This was also made into a highly popular J-Drama, so you can watch that as well if you are inetersted.

Sorry that my earlier post was half done. My computer of it's own accord posted it up when I wasn't even finished typing gah.

#26 Puppet&Puppeter

Puppet&Puppeter

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

I'm glad that you like it..

I'm not sure about other shoujo I have read, most of them are very cliche

But I have other fav shoujo list, I hope you like it.

(I kinda

- Title: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: on going / 11 volumes

- Tags/ Genres: school life, drama, romance, comedy

- Summary: Mizutani Shizuku is the type of person who only cares for her own grades. But when she accidentally delivers the lesson notes to Yoshida Haru, Haru becomes convinced they are friends.

Haru turns out to have a very innocent personality, but who would've thought that Haru would actually confess to Shizuku?

A cold-hearted girl x super troublemaker romance with a fresh new perspective.

cr : bakaupdates

O44iNg7.png

- Recommendations

Pros:  pretty and detailed art, somehow complex and realistic but has simple plot (not complicated). characters development are great, they have their own problems but they solve it nicely. Side characters are nice too, you will not only love main character because side character are lovely.

Cons: too much words (well, that's what I think), slow pace

- Title: Fushigi Yuugi - Genbu Kaiden

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: finished / 10 volumes

- Tags/ Genres: romance, fantasy, historical, drama, supernatural, tragedy, adventure

- Summary:

When schoolgirl Takiko Okuda attempts to destroy her father's translation of The Universe of the Four Gods, she is instead literally sucked into the story, becoming the Priestess of Genbu in an epic journey to find the seven Celestial Warriors!

cr : Viz media

W7wbbOm.png

- Recommendations

Pros: I love this more than the sequel. The main girl has strong personalities and brave. She accepted her role and her fate wholeheartedly. Romance between Takiko and the main guy is beautiful yet full of sorrow. It's intense and bittersweet. Characters develompent was great too. Side characters are lovely too.

Cons: the art maybe not for your liking (though I like it). prepare a pack of tissues :cry:

- Title: Hannune Banhada

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: finished / 2 series (part 1 have 4 volumes, part 2 have 12 volumes)

- Tags/ Genres: romance, drama, school life, supernatural

- Summary:

Kang Han-Se and Ban Ha-Da have known each other ever since childhood. They are close enough to sleep in the same room together at their current age.

"Three men for you," Kang Han-Se's mother tells Ban Ha-Da, on the day of graduation. As soon as Ban Ha-Da's life as a high school student starts, her love life begins as well.

2IOrzfU.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: art is pretty drawn well. I love main girl character, she's unique. She's not typically shoujo girls. If you like bishounen, then there're so much bishies here.

Cons: art maybe not for your liking (it's manhwa), pretty confusing (it's about fate and destiny)

- Title: Aria

Warning : this is shounen works, but I felt abit shoujoish and sheinen in there. Don't worry about sexual content (not much romance). There's nothing about that. I really love this works.

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: finished / 12 volumes

- Tags/ Genres: comdey, slice of life, sci-fi, drama

- Summary:

On the planet Aqua, a world once known as Mars, Mizunashi Akari has just made her home in the town of Neo-VENEZIA, a futuristic imitation of the ancient city of Venice. The technology of "Man Home" (formerly Earth) has not entirely reached this planet, and Akari is alone, having no contact with family or friends. Nonetheless, the town, with its charming labyrinths of rivers and canals, becomes Akari's new infatuation, along with the dream of becoming a full-fledged gondolier. Reverting to a more "primitive" lifestyle and pursuing a new trade, the character of Akari becomes both adventurous and heartwarming all at once.

2k70sMT.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: has incredibly peaceful atmosphere and relaxing, you will bound enjoy reading it. There're so much meaning in it about the world from main character prespective. All characters are lovable. The arts are beautiful too.

Cons: ummm... maybe no romance :hehe:

#27 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:58 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 31 October 2013 - 06:37 PM.)

Hello everyone. I've just been really busy, like extremely so. But I'm going to get this done today muahha.

@Kerokero OMG you beat me to it! I was going to rec Aria as well, I love that series so much! I need to try Hannune banhada, it looks really good. Thanks again for the recs, and please post up more when you find time to do so

- Title: Chikutaku Bonbon

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 4 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Josei, Romance, Historical, Comedy

- Summary: Iwa decided to act upon her grandfather’s advice, and moved to Tokyo to work. She’s excited to be in the big city, and she seems to run into the most interesting of things, from saving a bat, to the sickly and eccentric young man who tells her he is actually a bat!

tumblr_mdw3tf3nMU1qmxew7o1_500.png

- Recommendations

Pros: The manga is funny, but not as silly or unrefined as most shoujo manga series. The main girl is really likeabe, and the art style here is very unique and likeable. The historical setting is also well done and very true to the times.

Cons: Only one volume out yet as of now, but the scanlation group already has volume number two ready, so releases should be coming soon.

Overall: It;s a good read if you like historical romances, and something that isn't too overpowering.

- Title: 49

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 2 Chapters (This is only three chapters long and the scanlation group promises to have the next chapter out very soon)

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Supernatural, Drama, Romance

- Summary: In this small town, within the 49 days after a person dies, you can see the dead’s spirit. She once admired this small town where you can still spent time with the ones precious to you within these 49 days, but… (Credit to MAL)

16651.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The story is heart throbbing, melancholic, and leaves a lasting impression. The characters are all naturally developed despite the obviously supernatural and eeire setting, making it all seem very real. 

Cons:The art is really generic looking and a bit messy. Not terrible, but it definitely deserved a better style.

Overall: Good short series for people who like more sad, gentle works

- Title: Reimei No Arcana

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 49 Chapters (Should be noted, this has finished publication in Japan at 53 Chapters, so scanlations here are almost complete)

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, Fantasy, Drama

- Summary: Princess Nakaba of Senan was born with distinctive red hair to match her fiery personality. But she finds herself in a marriage of convenience, to Prince Caesar of Belquiat, as a trivial gesture of peace between two countries who have kept a tremulous treaty between them.

tumblr_mut1esDlOJ1shjb34o4_1280.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: the art here is so so pretty. I also liked the relationship between the two leads in teh beginning of teh series (not so much later) it was very disjointed and had a lot of angst, it made for some interesting interactions. The fantasy system is very well developed and complex, and the themes here become very interesting as the main female lead is forced to choose between increasingly complex moral dilemmas. The lead herself is strong and likeable.

Cons: The romance and plot take a big dip towards the middle where it becomes predictable and too cliche. However, the story picks up again after around 20 chapters, although I would have liked to see more involvement from teh male lead, who pretty much became a stereotypical shoujo manga bishie.

Overall: It's good, but you have to be patient with it for to show off it's true potential.

- Title: Kimi o Chuusin ni Sekai wa Mawaru

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Complete/ Oneshot

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy

- Summary: This is basically a high school teacher x student oneshot with a geeky twist.

tumblr_m81fw7DJxh1r5sh76o1_500.png

- Recommendations

Pros: ART. Such a pretty manga. I also love the dynamic between the two leads, there is a lot of chemistry and the main female lead is very well balanced.

Cons: it is shoujo fluff. Nothing more. This also shouldn't just be a one shot! It really deserved more time for tehse characters to develop

Overall: A really well done example of what a teacher student manga should be like

- Title: Hajimari no Natsu

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/5 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life

- Summary: Shinji, Manabu and Chinatsu are all neighbours and childhood friends. But because of their close friendship, other, more hidden feelings are left unsaid, and start to cause changes between them.

tumblr_mfvllu9hz81r5n34uo1_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: I liked how natural the character interactions were, and how the drama here is actually developed beyond the typical cliches often present in the childhood friends type stories. It doesn't try to get all sugary sweet on you, but presents their problems in a realistic and honest sense.

Cons: The art s kind of myeh, it's not bad, but it's pretty generic. The characters can be alittle overdramatic as well, but this is shoujo after all

Overall: Another cliche story, that of the childhood friend, but done really well.

- Title: Fuyu No Hana

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Drama, Romance, Fantasy

- Summary:  They have known each other since childhood. But he is hiding a terrible secret, one which took his older sister away from him, and one which threatens to take them away from each other.

tumblr_mgtmifIOkC1rdy5w8o1_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Can I just say CHEMISTRY? Usually that never happens in childhood friend stories, but wow, here it was palpable. The art is the exact same as Watashitachi no Shiwase na Jikan (a previous rec) and it's similarly beautiful

Cons: None. Except that it really should have been longer! I hate it when I find a good oneshot with a lot of potential that was never used to make a full series.

Overall: It takes the old childhood friends story, and introduces a lot of eeire, almost horror like tension , along with some of the best couple interactions I have yet to see from the subgenre.

And I'll do more later agh. 

#28 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

- Title: Peony Pavillion

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ 7 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Historical, Manhua*, Drama, Romance, Fantasy

- Summary: A collection of one shots based on traditional Chinese folktales.

tumblr_mjywvpR5A91r5pboyo1_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The fully coloured and absolutely beautiful art. The above example isn't a coverage, it's actually an example page of what you can expect from the entire series. It's absolutely beautiful. It's also retains the mythical feel by using minimal text in a poetical style to convey what are actually very complex stories and emotions.

Cons: none, except a word of caution not to expect a fully fleshed out or developed story (except for maybe the last one). They are more like vignettes into a fantastical world.

Overall: This is an example of manhua, basically Chinese manga, and it's a great example from this sadly underrated genre.

- Title: Banana Fish

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Completed/ 110 Chapters (I think there’s just a difference in the spin offs at the end, some of them may not have been translated by VIZ, or they are not uploaded on the main manga sites. So if you see less chapters than this, don’t panic, the story is all there.)

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Action, Drama, Gangs

- Summary: Ash Lynx was born beautiful and exceptionally gifted in every possible way. But his childhood was snatched away from him by the sexual abuse he faced as a child, specifically at the hands of Dino Goldzine, the leader of the biggest crime syndicate in New York. Now just 14, Ash is a brilliant young man, but also a hardened street criminal who runs gangs of his own. That’s when Eiji Okumura, who is visiting America for the first time with a guardian as an assistant photographer, first meets the infamous youth. 

tumblr_inline_mpoxm4yH1z1qz4rgp.png

- Recommendations

Pros: This is a story about the friendship between two boys from completely different worlds. It's extremely touching and relatable on that level, but the action here is just incredible. This has constant twists and turns, and I literally raced through this series and was unable to put it down. This manga is so well rounded, that it's one of the few shoujo series that guys and girls can both read. Everything about this is amazingly thought out. This series is a well known classic, and for good reason.

Cons: I really want to say none. However, I know for a fact that a lot of people will see the art as being too old (even though I think it suits the series extremely well) and will be put off by a lack of main romance. 

Overall: I didn't think I'd like this series because it wasn't typically what i read, boy POV, no romance, very heavy on action, but I was completely wrong. This is one of those series that everyone should at least try, it's supremely popular in Japan, as well as manga readers in the West, and for very good reason.

- Title: Akuma ni Itsukushimi no Te wo (Also known as "the hands the demon adored" so use this when searching manga reader sites)

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Fantasy, Drama, Romance

- Summary:Miwako is a talented young woman, with a promising career with the piano, and it is due mostly to her beautiful hands. The demon Rin sees this, and wants it for himself, however more surprisingly, when he asks for them, she agrees to give her hands away to him in return for a special favour.

tumblr_m7f66yARHy1qc7dbso1_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The art is the same as in Hana ni Arashi and Film Girl, but a bit more polished. This also lacks much of the rom-com element present in the other works, it has a much more serious tone, and the fantasy component here is very strong and affecting, without being to brash about it.

Cons: None really, I liked how this suited a oneshot format, and how the pacing was tailored to fit so.

Overall: This has a bit more angst than most shoujo, and features a rather more roguish main male lead than most of the genre offers up. I would particularly recommend this to people who really like fantasy and slightly more melancholy works.

- Title: 7 Seeds

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 124 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi

- Summary: The world has changed. A disaster event has mutated it into a destroyed, and dangerous shell of what it once was. The human race was wiped out. Except, humanity had forseen the disaster and acted to preserve itself by cryogenically freezing multiple teams of people to carry on, in the future.

tumblr_mttgviEnBR1r5g7x7o1_500.png

- Recommendations

Pros: This story is incredible. Fantastic sense of pacing, well developed romance, genuinely scary, and extremely clever in it's plot devices. This is about as real as a survival manga gets.  The characters in this manga really help to pull this manga along, they are complex and constantly evolving to their environment.

Cons: The art is unique and the style of it can be a bit jarring to new readers as it involves a slightly more scratchy style and larger eyes. Also the facial features can be very similar. However, as you can see from the above example, backgrounds and textures are wonderfully detailed. It's a beautiful manga, but it just takes some getting used to for a lot of people.

Overall: This manga is deceptively complex in terms of the themes presented one overarching storyline. When you first start reading, you may think you have everything figured out, but the manga continuously surprises and amazes. It's excellent for people who are tired of typical shoujo manga, but still want some romance.

- Title: Akatsuki No Yona

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 40 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Fantasy, Romance, Action

- Summary: Yona is the sole princess to the very kind king, and she’s always lived her life in luxury. She’s also grown up alongside her handsome friend Soo-won who she has loved ever since she could remember, and the annoying General Hak. But it all changes one night, when Yona witnesses the murder of her father, and from then on she’s on the run.

akatsuki-no-yona-2748049.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The pacing here is really good, and the story is actually a lot more complex and interesting than the summary lets on. I like Yona as a character as well, she's very strong, but realistically flawed.

Cons:​ The art is clean and detailed, but I think the style and proportions are a little too chibi and unrealistic, it just makes it harder to really immerse yourself in the story and the world, even the plot itself is enjoyable.

Overall:​ An interesting read, it's quite rom-com but still action packed. 

- Title: 12 Ji no kane ga Naru (also known as 12 o'clock bell rings so search this up as an alternate on manga reader sites)

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Comedy, Fantasy, Horror

- Summary: The time old tale of Cinderella, with a gothic twist.

manga_12oclockbelllrings_cast.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The gothic twist isn't cursory here. This manga is just twisted, but in a really fun way, and the art, the character designs, and the plot all reflect this. The unique tale on the really well known tale of Cinderella is particularly fun, because it's something where you expect things to happen in a certain way, but then are surprised with new reinventions. The art is also originally from a shonen author, and is blessedly a little more mature in terms of it's style.

Cons: This isn't really a story in proper with lots of character and plot development. There is a plot and the characters are well grounded, but this is more of an escape to a fantastical world, and should be treated as such.

Overall: Just a fun rec for Halloween.

Ohhhh btw I have two announcements for shoujo fans!!

1) Orange by Takano Ichigo WILL be continuing serialization!!!!! The author has announced that she will be continuing the highly popular series after a hiatus of a few years actually. So keep the series bookmarked for more updates.

2) I'm going to C+P from my blog here.

This is an announcement for those of you who read Hirunaka no Ryuusei (a previous recommendation, another good shoujo series for those of you looking for something more rom-com). The scanlating group has actually dropped this manga HOWEVER, chun-chun on the mangafox forums has enlisted someone who she pays $5 per chapter to translate, so we’ve been getting so many chapters out at like lightning speed. If you enjoy this manga, and would like to continue reading, please go over to the mangafox forums and donate to her via Paypal so that we can continue reading this awesome series. She’s not asking for a lot, something like even a dollar would get us all 1/5th closer to reading the next chapter, and she has already been extremely generous in paying for these chapters for everyone and then uploading them on the major manga sites. If you need help finding her on the forums or any other questions about this, please PM me and I will do what I can to guide you in the right way.

#29 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:14 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 02 November 2013 - 02:14 PM.)

- Title: Butter!!!

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 11 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Seinen, Romance, School, Slice of Life

- Summary: This is basically a slice of life series revolving around the different people who enter their school’s dance club.

Butter-----2.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The art is a lot more mature in terms of proportions than most shoujo series, and it's beautifully stylistic. The characters are all very natural, and relatable, they have unique personalities without falling into stereotypes. The plot is paced well, and it's very cute, but it also deals with darker aspects of school life, like bullying, without being overdramatic.

Cons: This is slice of life, so there's going to be a lot of themes in here that are extremely familiar to anyone if you've ever read a slice of life series before. 

Overall: A really nice school life manga that takes a more realistic approach to the overused plot device of the club at school. The more mature dialogue, and realistic personalities of the characters really help to make this series stand out from amongst the rest.

#30 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:50 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 17 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.)

- Title: Kyou no kira kun

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 7 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres: Shoujo, Romance, School, Drama

- Summary: Nino is an extremely shy and downright unpopular girl who prefers to spend time with birds instead of actual people. Kira is THE popular guy at school and they two have barely interacted with each other. That is, until Nino learns Kira’s terrible secret. What starts out as friendship may turn into something more here, but can it last?

tumblr_mvgdnzCjV31safif3o2_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: Very pretty lineart. It's much more stylized than most shoujo series, but still very pretty and fluffy. The story also really tugs at your heartstrings, there's a lot of drama, but it's believable and done so well, it's actually welcome

Cons: The romance is a bit predictable. And the escalation group doing this likes to take their time. I don't usually complain because I know these groups do a lot, but these guys are really slow. I'm thinking about volunteering for it myself.

Overall: This is actually really popular amongst international shoujo fans. It gained a lot of hype, and it deserved it. It's great for people who like typical shoujo, but are sick of the repetitiveness that associated with it.

- Title: Bokura No Kiseki

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 24 Chapters  (These chapters are pretty long though, at around 50 chapters each, so it’s a really well developed story so far)

- Tags/ Genres: Gender Bender, Fantasy, School Life, Mystery, Romance, Shoujo, Supernatural

- Summary:(I’m going to use the summary from MAL, because this is extremely complicated.) From a young age, Minami Harusumi has had recurring dreams of Veronica, a princess whose kingdom is on the verge of destruction. He believes them to be recollections of his past life, and that he is her reincarnation. Because of this, he is ridiculed by his classmates. One day, when the mockery escalates into bullying, he rediscovers magic—something Veronica had studied and used. Reassured his past life is not merely a fantasy, Minami tries to learn more about his past memories and the reason behind them…

tumblr_inline_mkr77f9Coo1qz4rgp.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: This story is intense. Yes, there are a lot of lighthearted moments and humorous characters, but its really hard to find a manga with this sort of depth, be it shoujo or shounen. It also takes the abused gender bender idea and really makes use of it in the right way, making the characters question their deepest motives as to why they are doing the things they are doing in present day, and causing even more complications. 

Cons: The art is clean, but the style is rather generic. Also, this manga is pretty difficult to get into I would say. You need to read the first three or so chapters very slowly to understand what's going on. After that the pacing settles down, and then, it definitely becomes one of the best shoujo series out there.

Overall: This is an EXCELLENT manga, that all shoujo fans should try. There's plenty of cute romance, but also a great magic system and a lot of  intrigue and tension. Give it a try and be patient with it.

#31 ANCORA IMPARO

ANCORA IMPARO

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

thank you for this. I've been trying to find a new manga to start. :chu:

#32 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:37 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 11 December 2013 - 10:39 PM.)

- Title: Shigeshoushi

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 36 Chapters (This is infuriating because there is only one volume left. I’ll handle the rest in the notes)

- Tags/ Genres: Drama, Romance, Psychological, Josei

- Summary: Shinjyurou Mamiya is an embalmer, a profession seen as “unclean” in Japan. Shinjyurou has accepted the life of an outcast amongst most people; to him it is a job and nothing more. He has gained an exceptional understanding of death and its consequences, as well as what it means to live. Mitsukazu Mihara brings us another psychological masterpiece in several thought-provoking volumes, the first alone of which explores the meanings of beauty, love and loss.

1.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The story is told in a series of loosely connected stories, all of which are very powerful and moving. The romance here is extremely well done, and it ties the whole series together. The art is very josei and lifelike and suits the tone of the story. 

Cons: (From my blog) The single most irritating thing about this manga is that it has, according to MAL, finished serialization in Japan at 7 Volumes, however, only 6 are available to international fans at the moment. The manga resumed serialization after 3 long years this January, but either international scanting groups didn’t pick up on it out of lack of interest or because this is technically still under Tokyopop, which announced they weren’t going to continue publishing it anyways. As a result, the very last volume remains untranslated and unknown.

As it is, Volume 6 has been interpreted for a long time as a sort of open ending. So you should definitely still try and read it, but just keep in mind that there is another volume out there that hasn’t been translated yet, and I have no idea why.

I’ve found volume 7 on Amazon Japan:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/死化粧師-7-フィールコミックス-Feelコミックス-三原ミツカズ/dp/4396765800

However, shipping to where I live is probably going to be a b****. I’m wondering if any of you guys know of a scanlating group that would be willing to use their contacts in Japan to get this manga scanned. I would be willing to pay for the volume itself, and edit and typeset it myself as well. I just want to see this amazing series get the ending it deserves.

I can’t understand Japanese myself either, so if someone knows where the raws are available on the internet perhaps, then I would also be willing to get the translating done from a friend, and do all the appropriate procedures to get it translated for the international community.

Overall: A very good series that guys or girls would like. A more melancholy reflective work that is heavy on drama, but propped up well with clever dialogue and well developed characters.

- Title: Six Half

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 20 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres:  Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo

- Summary: Kikukawa Shiori woke up from a bad motorcycle accident with severe loss of memory. Although she is allowed to go home, she has trouble adjusting to a seemingly new life with a brother who is always worried, a sister who apparently hates her, and a boyfriend who won’t give her space. Awful rumors about her previous lifestyle abound in school, too, and even her friends tell her she had it coming. Alone, scared, and angry at the seemingly awful person she used to be, Shiori tries desperately to find a place of comfort she can call her own…

tumblr_mu4elmuwp21s43k5bo1_500.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The story, despite it's K-Drama-esque summary is really really good. All the characters are given opportunity to develop, the plot is welcomingly complex and quite dark actually.  

Cons: The art is a little jarring at first, but the expressions and movements are well documented and they suit the story.

Overall: A very mature shoujo series, more like Josei actually in it's themes. A really good one if you want a more serious option.

- Title: Sensei Kunshu

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 2 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres:  Comedy, Romance, School, Shoujo

- Summary: Ayu is a fun loving, if rather sarcastic student in high school. Hiromitsu is the new handsome teacher, and soon all the girls are fawning over him. But Ayu’s seen his true face, he’s actually a pretty nasty person, and she’s not going to trust him so easily like everyone else.

tumblr_inline_mxmhhbd8ta1ryou52.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: HILARIOUS. The facial expressions are so soooo funny. The main heroine is really likeable and relatable. The obvious parodies of shoujo cliches here as well are well handled, it's an extremely fresh series despite the rather overused plot. The art is also extremely clean and beautiful.

Cons: Well there seems to be a distinct lack of plot so far? But this is a very new series, it just started serialization in July, and we would need more chapters to judge it better.

Overall: A very funny new series from the author of Heroine Shikkaku. If you liked one series, you'll probably like the other. This also doesn't feature a massively annoying Rita-esque guy, so I would definitely rec this one over the other, even though I log both.

#33 SAUCY

SAUCY

YNWA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,605 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

I second Cat street and love so life. Cat street is one of my favourites and love so life is the only ongoing manga I follow anymore. Also I dont see nana mentioned? 

#34 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

I second Cat street and love so life. Cat street is one of my favourites and love so life is the only ongoing manga I follow anymore. Also I dont see nana mentioned? 

Nana is a great, great manga series. Along with Paradise Kiss. I tried to avoid putting up recs that people probably already know about was the only reason I didn't put up a separate rec for it really. I think I've listed Nana on my blog though for general recommendations

#35 Irrelephant

Irrelephant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I read C-blossom Case 729 as per your recommendation and I loved it, tysm.

I wished there was a supplement, but it ended so nicely. 

Maybe it's a bit of ignorance on my part, but I never knew there was such variety in Shoujo even though it's a huge genre. I'd mostly read big titles (Skip Beat... ugh 30 pages a month and the slowest plot development in the past two years, Ouran HSHC, Vampire Knight, Maid-sama, Kimi Ni Todoke) and stuck to Shounen instead. I appreciate all the posts.

#36 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

thank you for this. I've been trying to find a new manga to start. :chu:

Thank you for letting me know it helped <3

I read C-blossom Case 729 as per your recommendation and I loved it, tysm.

I wished there was a supplement, but it ended so nicely. 

Maybe it's a bit of ignorance on my part, but I never knew there was such variety in Shoujo even though it's a huge genre. I'd mostly read big titles (Skip Beat... ugh 30 pages a month and the slowest plot development in the past two years, Ouran HSHC, Vampire Knight, Maid-sama, Kimi Ni Todoke) and stuck to Shounen instead. I appreciate all the posts.

C-Blossom is one of my favourites. 

It's not really ignorance tbh, because most shoujo really is terrible ngl. And the popular titles unfortunately only reinforce the stereotype of fluffy nonsense while the more developed series get buried under relative insignificance (AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY?)

Anyways, I'm really glad that you liked the rec, a lot of shoujo fans I've met didn't warm up to it

- Title: Principal

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 11 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres:  Comedy, Romance, School, Shoujo, Drama, Slice of Life

- Summary: Shima, who is an outcast at her school and unable to get along with her third stepfather, decides to move out to Sapporo and live with her biological father. There she meets Wao and Gen. Even though she knows she would be shunned by every girl in school for hanging out with them, there’s nothing she can really do about it because she’s fallen in love. (From MAL)

Principal_IKUEMI-Ryou_1.jpg

- Recommendations

Pros: The characterization and development of the plot is at once natural, but at the same time introduces very novel and memorable twists and turns that really make reading this rather long series extremely satisfying. It portrays subtle developments in the relationships between the characters extremely effectively, and despite not being very heavy handed on drama, the story stays with you for a long time afterwards thanks to it's immersive quality.

Cons: Silly nitpicking. The art in terms of line art and shading could have been perhaps sharper. But it's still a really well done manga over all, and the art style is realistic enough so as to be immersive, but stylized so as to keep the characters expressive.

Overall: A really good series if you want a realistic slice of life without the stupidity of rom-coms. BTW, guess who's shipping another non-canon couple muahaha *flails wildly*. Second lead syndrome, yup. That's the name of the game. But on a more serious note, at this point in the story, we don't know FOR SURE if there is going to be a love triangle, nor do we know who she'll end up with, but I'm on a pretty nasty streak of investing furiously into the non-canon couple, so that's probably going to be the same thing here.

#37 Tonbo de Corn

Tonbo de Corn

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

thanks for this ^__^ been searching for some really good shojo recommendations but i never really found any good ones lol

#38 ImJustASlyFox

ImJustASlyFox

Maisha ♥ Mees Mad forever and ever

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Please keep updating :3 you have amazing taste

#39 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:41 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 11 January 2014 - 07:43 PM.)

- Title: Ore Monogatari!!

- Status/ No. Chapters or Volumes: Ongoing/ 3 Chapters

- Tags/ Genres:  Comedy, Romance, School, Shoujo

- Summary: Takeo is a man amongst men to the boys of the school. He’s strong, loyal and kind hearted. But it’s Takeo’s best friend Sunagawa who has all the popularity with the ladies thanks to his flower boy looks. Will Takeo ever be able to find love for himself?

ore05.jpg%3Fw%3D500

- Recommendations

Pros: So SOOO funny. The expressions are over the top dramatic, the storyline and romance is seriously adorable, and it doesn't resort to annoying and usually unhealthy shoujo romance to do so. Also has a great portrayal of a true and awesomely developed bromance, and the characters are all endearing, making for a fresh spin on the old and abused genre of school life in shoujo manga. Anything but predictable, but loveable in it's familiarity.

Cons: The art can be a little scratchy at times, but it it is hilariously expressive, so all is forgiven.

Overall: An excellent series for shoujo veterans, especially if you are tired of silly romances. Also has generous amounts of irony and sarcasm, with well developed and witty dialogue and heartwarming scenes of friendship and of loving someone for who they are and not what they look like, which is sure to cause even the most cold hearted of individuals to at least crack a smile.

Thank you to Tonbo De Corn and ImJustALoser! I'm happy to hear that you liked the recs

#40 cherubic

cherubic

Idol

• PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

I have so much to read but I bet it's all worth it. Thank you for your recommendations!

Up, Up and Away!