Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WasteOfLife

Wikipedia Editors Declare War on KPop

Apparently the nerds who moderate Wikipedia are on a "notability" kick and have trained their sights on KPop. Here is a list of the articles they are discussing deleting for not being "notable" enough for their completely arbitrary standards of newsworthiness. Is a group, song, or event YOU stan for on this list?

My main question is: why now? It's so out of the blue. Are they running out of room on the internet that they have to go deleting pages? Do they have some kind of delusion of grandeur that the public expects only the MOST important things to be on Wikipedia, when in fact we assume that EVERYTHING is on Wikipedia which is why we go there for information? Why are they this picky with pages when they let ANYONE edit articles?

And their standard is totally arbitrary and Western-centric: every single town in the US gets to have a page, but not every kpop group gets to have one? I've learned a lot about lesser-known groups like CHI CHI through their wikipedia pages.

LOL at the Luhan one.
"Despite Asdklf's best intentions (and I appreciate their efforts) I do not see the notability for this person outside of his band..."
Really, man?
:rolleyes:

whole thread on this for those who want to know more

http://onehallyu.com/topic/130431-snsd-2ne1-big-bang-shinee-and-other-artists-info-on-wiki-being-deleted/

It's really upsetting to see everyone's work being torn to shreds like this. Fans need to start looking elsewhere to archive k-entertainment based events and information. 

Not surprised, they've been on a power trip for a while now...

whole thread on this for those who want to know more

http://onehallyu.com/topic/130431-snsd-2ne1-big-bang-shinee-and-other-artists-info-on-wiki-being-deleted/

It's really upsetting to see everyone's work being torn to shreds like this. Fans need to start looking elsewhere to archive k-entertainment based events and information. 

I'm pretty sure if enough k-pop fans get together that a k-pop or Asian entertainment wikipedia would be possible. I wouldn't mind coding one if I got together a team tbh.

well there's generasia, maybe people can take the stuff from wikipedia and add it to generasia.

what the actual fuck?

Luhan isn't a notable figure? It's totally not like he's breaking records right and left in China and has a massive following and is a growing top star there  :unsure:

@the Luhan one..

Pray for wikipedia when hardcore Luhan fans (i.e all) catch wind..

giphy.gif

only thing (person) relevant to my interests on there is Juggles...

but given that she's done pretty much nothing outside of After School...i'm not raising much of an eyebrow over an AS redirect.

Like...if you look at her wiki page... she has only 3 actual individual credits (out of only 8 mentions of activity). The other 5 things are things she did with groupmates (i mean...one of those credits is being in an OC mv).....

:omg: NOOOOO! my Rongie  :cry:

All the EXO on there....

tumblr_mbt00qlakr1rs97fco1_500.gif?w=560

These wikipedia mod vaguely remind me of pressed EXO antis during award season. Dumasses.