Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
- - - - -

Newsflash: MR removed videos are not a reliable way to judge vocals

exo mr removed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 ché

ché

thirsting over cha eunwoo tbh

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:53 PM (Edited by ╰☆╮вloѕѕoм, 05 January 2015 - 08:11 PM.)

First of all, I would like to say that I'm not a fan of Exo. Don't think I'm delusional just by using them as an example.

To understand, you'll need to click and read the article below.

http://kpopalypse.wo...e-all-bullshit/

On OH, Exo's Christmas Day MR removed video is a running joke.  But is the removal of the backtrack done properly?

The problem with phase cancellation is that it acts across the whole mix, not just the bits you want it to act on, so if you’re singing along to the vocals on the backing track, then every time the waveform of your voice becomes equal-but-opposite to the out-of-phase waveform of your voice used by some Starcraft nerd to perform the cancellation, your voice gets cancelled out as well. 

So it turns out when you do a phase cancellation & the singers' voice hits the same notes as the backtrack, it will be inaudible. 

You may think, well maybe the uploader used a different technique - the second one mentioned in the article.  If they did a stereo bandpass filter, the vocals would be much clearer and there would not be as much noise.

Tl;dr: We can't use crappy MR Removed videos to judge artists' singing.  The only semi-reliable way is to use a stereo bandpass filter, isolating the vocals with a few instruments - which most MR removal uploaders do not do.

#2 Kaity

Kaity

JOON PROTECTION SQUAD

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

that video will never fail to have me in tears

#3 SNSTD

SNSTD

🍼

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,935 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

Newsflash  :imstupid: 

#4 LeeTaeyong

LeeTaeyong

엑소 사랑하자

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

exo can sing live, that mr didn't prove shit

#5 Woollimy

Woollimy

Woollim's PR Dog

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

True people Believing this need to think a little.

#6 Symphony™

Symphony™

Kim Jaejoong's Fiancée

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,117 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

People think EXO is shit because they lip sync not because MR removed videos only tho.

#7 ché

ché

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:00 PM (Edited by ╰☆╮вloѕѕoм, 05 January 2015 - 08:00 PM.)

People think EXO is shit because they lip sync not because MR removed videos only tho.

I'd agree although I see too many people who think MR videos are a good judgement of vocal talent.

Hence why I said "Newsflash" lol

#8 Sana Muñequita Linda

Sana Muñequita Linda

That fan of The Prodigy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

84.gif

Oh, god, finally somebody says it......

I'm fed up of those "MR Removed" videos as much as I'm fed up of those "chipmunk version" songs. I've never trusted those sound tweakings as a legit proof of live singing. Why can't we train our hearing sense instead?

#9 ˹AS˼

˹AS˼

(ᵔᴥᵔ)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

I wait until my bias groups are invited to Sketchbook...........

#10 feat. you

feat. you

매일이 hustle life

• PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

haha "newsflash"

#11 KissontheW1nD

KissontheW1nD

♔~♤♡BasedSatan♡♤~♔

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

This whole topic applies to all groups tbh not just EXO

#12 ché

ché

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

This whole topic applies to all groups tbh not just EXO

Yeah I'll edit my OP, I was just using them as an example since they're apparently the worst singers in kpop lmao

#13 TMI

TMI

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:10 PM (Edited by TMI, 05 January 2015 - 08:13 PM.)

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, so many groups with  less talent are praised even if they have some bad MR removeds and their singers are not that great whether they are dancing or standing still. It is what it is. Haters will continue to hate, Exo will continue to win Daesangs and sell out half of Korea, etc. 

#14 Saynomore112

Saynomore112

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Yes @doitlikethis123 already said it

#15 ____shawnee

____shawnee

💗 💎 🌟

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

It's dumb because with most performances you can hear whether they're in tune or not in the regular if you have ears. Like this is unnecessary

When their vocals are perfectly clear here

#16 Athena

Athena

legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:12 PM (Edited by Athena, 05 January 2015 - 08:12 PM.)

Thank you for telling us something most know...

#17 sane

sane

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

It works if you use the instrumental, but if you try to do it with the regular track you're gonna have a bad time.

#18 DivaBoo

DivaBoo

the best quality

• PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:12 PM (Edited by DuckieDeul, 05 January 2015 - 08:13 PM.)

Some MR removed performances are just reasons to bash other groups for some people in all honesty.

#19 Rutee

Rutee

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:13 PM (Edited by Rutee, 05 January 2015 - 08:16 PM.)

So it means that if the vocals are the same as the backtrack it gets cancelled out, I see.

But in that case, when people sing out of tune (so not the same as the backtrack) it means that it's not cancelled out, and you can just hear more clearly that they're out of tune. MR removed videos don't create the voice of the people singing ... I don't get why people don't wan't to accept the fact that MR removed allow us to hear more clearly behind the backing track.

That MR removed of EXO isn't atrocious because of the fact that we only hear few words in the MR removed video, but because they're OUT OF TUNE, with their voice cracking all over the place etc etc, so taking this as an example is clearly showing that you don't really understand what you're talking about. People discrediting MR removed videos need to understand this one day. 

And btw, how come all the good vocalists in the kpop always have perfect Mr removed videos, when we can clearly hear them singing perfectly in tune with the backing track ? 

Take this as an example : 

Stop being delusional, people ...

#20 Leo's Candy Jelly Ho

Leo's Candy Jelly Ho

Inpiniteu's & Nineu Muses' Goddess of Life

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

I agree! It's so funny to see people use MR Removed videos to "prove" certain groups do sing live coughthatoneGsDthreadcough

Up, Up and Away!