• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationExploring Hyrule with the Triforce of Courage

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:08 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 18 July 2013 - 08:09 PM.)

I am a Shoujo manga junkie, but even though I have kept a long love affair with the genre I shall be among the first to admit how downright annoying most of the titles are. 

Repetitive plots, recycled bishies, stereotypical characterization; it all gets quite tiresome.

But today I have come across a manga that has quite literally jumped right to the top of my list.

Heroine Shikakku

pcover1_heroine.jpg

Basically, the premise is that we all know about the archetypical love story of the pure boy and girl in high school, whose love is constantly threatened by the pretty, selfish bitch. Well this manga actually follows the story of the bitch character.

It's like a Wicked, but for shoujo manga. Already brilliant.

Despite the fact that the main character is selfish, annoying, conniving and shallow, you can't help but root for the girl, because she's personable, relatable, and her emotions are extremely believable. She's also hilarious, her and her bitchy gang remind me of how I would interact with my friends in our crazy daily lives.

Strong Points: 

- Intense storyline. Do not expect to come in here knowing who shall end up with who, or with a ship ready for you in all it's fluffiness. You will be kept guessing, but the drama isn't forced like in most shoujo manga where the guy is over protective of an obvious romantic rival thanks to a dense heroine. I have no idea who to root for, in terms of ships, but I am completely invested in the main character, and just want her to be happy.

- Hilarity. It is extremely funny. Especially for me, who would normally constantly be giving mental comments as I read Shoujo about how if I was in that situation would bitchslap someone or just throw myself at a bishie. To see someone acting it out, and then some is great. It also makes REALLY funny references a la Gintama style (albeit toned down) to other Anime series and famous figures.

-Likeable Main Character. too many times have I read a manga solely because of the bishies, because I usually cannot stand shoujo leads. They are annoying, self righteous, weak, and allow themselves to be subjected to whatever all in the case of "I just want to be next to you semmppaaiii". Gag. This girl is strong, knows what she wants, is completely believable with her downright nastiness sometimes, but she's also endearing in her earnestness. She's a fully fleshed out character, and I am reading the story for her, not for my usual fangirl fodder.

Weak Points:

-The Crying. The main girl, although I like her a lot, does cry an almost abnormal amount. This is mainly due to the first couple of chapters, which I won't spoil. I only put this down, because I know that a lot of people are really put out by crying heroines, but honestly, I don't mind it at all. Her emotions are very well balanced, and considering the story and the stress she's under, her getting upset works well within the context, instead of seeming like a gimmick.

-The Art. I like pretty art for my shoujo. Something has to carry me through countless volumes of what is essentially romantic filler. The art here is cute, bearable, but by no means large eyed, polished pretty. Personally, I was able to look past it, because the story is so damn good, and it's well drawn enough, but it's just a fair warning that this isn't exactly a visual stunner.

Basically, if you are a shoujo fan, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS. Despite the flaws that I have seen so far, it is easily in my top five right now. It is that good. I sincerely hope for an anime adaption. The concept is too refreshing, and is so well executed, that to not give it the honour of one could only be considered akin to shoujo manga blasphemy.

#2 deerhan

deerhan

鹿 晗 的 妻 子

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts
  • Locationowo what's this

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Oh yas.

Dat is a good one.

The main girl sometimes annoys me but is good

:ahmagah: 

#3 anh.

anh.

전원우 ♡

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,028 posts
  • Locationidk

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

ooh

i'm gonna check this out 

#4 Kimmy

Kimmy

Until Whenever

• PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationThe Pokemon Centre

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Gonna check this out~ I ran out of funny shoujo manga/anime to occupy myself so I've been watching typical shonen plots lol. Thanks

#5 BubbleGumPop

BubbleGumPop

( ˘ ³˘)♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

I don't even read manga but your whole speech was convincing enough to make me read it

#6 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 14,176 posts
  • LocationBallroom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

I just finished reading Kare wa Tomadachi. Sigh couldn't bear some of the chapters but I'm ready to move onto another Shoujo manga lol!!

#7 ryokonicheiress

ryokonicheiress

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTenchi's Rafters

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Honestly...I can't stand Adachi or Rita...they belong together in their annoyingness. Hatori is kind of annoying at the beginning but I'm glad she basically moved on from Rita. Hiromitsu is an entertaining character I want to figure out...but I don't like where the plotline is going so....

#8 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

• Hall OH Fame
  • 14,176 posts
  • LocationBallroom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

guurl you dont put spoilers/?!?!

#9 QuackingDuck

QuackingDuck

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

the art is surprising decent. i usually hate shoujo art and storylines. bishies also do nothing for me. i might check this out tho.

#10 wohuifei

wohuifei

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

God, I haven't read manga in so long. I'll check it out though.

#11 dinolover

dinolover

I WIPE MY ANUS WITH YOUR MOTHER'S WEDDINGDRESS

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

ohh i'll read it then

have u read horimimiya ? 

#12 Dandelion Wine

Dandelion Wine

OH's Resident Nugu

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts
  • Locationprobably fermenting in a barrel somewhere

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

I don't really like bitchy protagonists
But since you've praised it so highly I'll give it a shot, I need some new manga

#13 ANCORA IMPARO

ANCORA IMPARO

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts
  • Locationwonderland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:56 PM (Edited by MayDay, 18 July 2013 - 08:58 PM.)

I shall read it.

but are  there any other manga/manhwa where the main girl isn't annoying and make me what to hit her  with a chair?

#14 betsaru

betsaru

Trainee

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Horimiya is also a good one along with most of Mitsuru Adachi's manga.

#15 Gooey

Gooey

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationOutside your window

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Ohh in need of some good shojo, have only been reading shonen recently cuz female leads annoy me easily..

Will give this a go!!

Spoiler

#16 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:39 PM (Edited by aquaisra, 18 July 2013 - 10:41 PM.)

I shall read it.

but are there any other manga/manhwa where the main girl isn't annoying and make me what to hit her with a chair?

Few and far between. But yes they are out there.
- Keishichou Tokuhanka 007: Supernatural mysteries, about a psychic girl who goes into a special investigation unit with the Tokyo Police.
- Ghost Hunt, and Akumu No Sumu Ie: My favourite Shoujo series. About a teen paranormal investigator as they solve creepy cases.
- Last Game: Like Special A really.
- Skip Beat
- Beast Master: Guy who looks frightening, like a wild animal, but a girl can see past it. Sounds super cheesy, but it is pretty good surprisingly.
- Beauty Pop: Tsundere like girl who has a bishie rival in the world of hairdressing.
- Boku wa Kiss de Uso wo Tsuku: A girl falls asleep in the library, and someone steals her first kiss? Who is it? This is REALLy cute.
- Hana Ni Arashi. About a girl with super flexibility and a crazy guy who falls for her. This is also really, really good.
- Lovely Complex
- Mixed Vegetables. Another one of my favourites. Cliche rivalry story, but at least the girl has some fighting spirit.

I would go one but I fear boring you.

ohh i'll read it then
have u read horimimiya ?

No I haven't. Is it very good as well? I need moarr shoujo. I just kind of devour them

Edit. Omg. It is reeeeaallyyy good.

Oh yas.
Dat is a good one.

The main girl sometimes annoys me but is good
:ahmagah:

It's weird. Usually I would have set it aside by now because she can be a pain in the butt, because I am just really picky with manga, but I just could not stop reading it, and in the end I really liked her for her flaws too.

ooh

i'm gonna check this out

Gonna check this out~ I ran out of funny shoujo manga/anime to occupy myself so I've been watching typical shonen plots lol. Thanks

:D

I don't even read manga but your whole speech was convincing enough to make me read it

LOL wut. Umm, no promises? Shoujo is pretty much a hit or a miss~ Mostly a miss at that.

I just finished reading Kare wa Tomadachi. Sigh couldn't bear some of the chapters but I'm ready to move onto another Shoujo manga lol!!

OMG. How could you with that art style? I literally cannot get over how widely spaced apart their eyes are. *Shallow fan*

Honestly...I can't stand Adachi or Rita...they belong together in their annoyingness. Hatori is kind of annoying at the beginning but I'm glad she basically moved on from Rita. Hiromitsu is an entertaining character I want to figure out...but I don't like where the plotline is going so....

Shit has hit the fan in this last chapter. No doubt. But I think people can at least flesh out where everything might POSSIBLY be going? Ish.

the art is surprising decent. i usually hate shoujo art and storylines. bishies also do nothing for me. i might check this out tho.

Yah. I don't like bishies either that much. i don't find skeletons attractive.

I actually didn't mind that art that much either. I hate the big eyed moe moe style, so this was right down my alley. But most people prefer a more polished style I guess?

I don't really like bitchy protagonists
But since you've praised it so highly I'll give it a shot, I need some new manga

Just give it a try I guess lol. I usually like Mary Sue's as well.

@Gooey I am not a self proclaimed shoujo addict for nothing~ I actually didn't like the wallflower, on the completely shallow basis that I could not stand the art. It's horrible of me, I know.

#17 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

• Hall OH Fame
  • 14,176 posts
  • LocationBallroom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

OMG. How could you with that art style? I literally cannot get over how widely spaced apart their eyes are. *Shallow fan*

I mean I loved the art but

Spoiler

#18 deerhan

deerhan

鹿 晗 的 妻 子

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts
  • Locationowo what's this

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Horimiya is also a good one along with most of Mitsuru Adachi's manga.

omg. horimiya

:stare:

It's weird. Usually I would have set it aside by now because she can be a pain in the butt, because I am just really picky with manga, but I just could not stop reading it, and in the end I really liked her for her flaws too.

I just cringe and make a face at it lmao. I just want to see who she ends up with.

I'm picky with manga too.

If I don't like the art or the lead characters aren't attractive I don't read it.

:har:

#19 North and South

North and South

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I mean I loved the art but

Spoiler

OMG I KNOOOWW. 

It was a little upsetting that it ended that way as well, because I actually liked the protagonist and the rest of the characters in that although it was a drama, it wasn't over the top with it's antics, and the plot was handled fairly believably. I actually rather liked the depth the mangaka gave to Sasamoto's character in that regard? It was angsty to be sure, but I feel like that's how someone who believably behave.

Goodness. Koizura. It was like inviting myself to go through depression. It was poignant, beautifully told, sometimes a tad over the top, but by the end of it I just could not.

#20 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

• Hall OH Fame
  • 14,176 posts
  • LocationBallroom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

OMG I KNOOOWW. 

It was a little upsetting that it ended that way as well, because I actually liked the protagonist and the rest of the characters in that although it was a drama, it wasn't over the top with it's antics, and the plot was handled fairly believably. I actually rather liked the depth the mangaka gave to Sasamoto's character in that regard? It was angsty to be sure, but I feel like that's how someone who believably behave.

Goodness. Koizura. It was like inviting myself to go through depression. It was poignant, beautifully told, sometimes a tad over the top, but by the end of it I just could not.

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Heroine Shikakku, Hilarious, Actually well written, Manga, shoujo

Up, Up and Away!