Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
john

OH!Snap [Naver:KRN] What will K-POP be like in 20 years? Who would perform at the reunion?

Translated by: john @ www.onehallyu.com

2HbMTBs.png

ncJRSiX.jpg

–

On Infinite Challenge’s “Saturday Saturday is a Singer†(“ToToGa†for short), Turbo, SES, Uhm Jung Hwa, and other performed their hit songs from the 1990s. The reactions to the special stages have been extraordinary. Why is that?

It’s the same reason that the dramas Reply 1997/1994 have been able to be so successful: it’s the scent of the 90s. It got people saying in agreement, “That’s right, the 90s were like that.†Even if you weren’t a fan of these artists, these were songs that everyone have heard at least once during the 90s. It was also so successful because these were groups everybody thought we wouldn’t be able to see together again.

You cannot compare the influence that idols had back then over teenagers to the idols of current day. Idols these days may be popular, but they cannot take the reigns of the entire teenage culture. There is no star today that can have a title like Seo Taiji had back in the day: “President of Cultureâ€. And you won’t be able to find idols these days that are able to capture the entire teenage culture like HOT and Sechs Kies did in the 90s.

If you look at the lineup of ‘ToToGa’, you can see how diverse the music was back then as well. No matter if the song was hip hop, rock, or ballad, if the song was good, the entire nation fell in love with it. The music back then was more experimental and diverse.

However, the era suddenly changed to that of idol hook songs, and the number of full albums that artists released started to go down. It became more about quantity than quality, and the lifespan of idols became shorter and shorter. It’s hard to find a song that lasts a very long time on top of the charts these days. And because of issues like sajaegi, music became more about the charts than the music. While it’s true that the primary goal of music is to entertain, you must be criticizing that music no longer has any depth.

There will no longer be songs that everybody can sing along too. If in 20 years, there was an event like ‘ToToGa’, what would it be like? Could people still be singing along to Big Bang, SNSD, or EXO songs? While these idols are popular in K-Pop, they aren’t as popular with the public as the 90s pop singers were.

–

1. [+4217,-149] There won’t be anything good in 20 years…. ㅜㅜ

2. [+3591,-305] Imagine if EXO, SNSD, Beast, Apink, Girl’s Day all appear on ‘ToToGa’ in 20 years ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+3240,-64] There were a lot of talented singers in the 90s

4. [+3109,-76] Are there any idols these days that have that aura like the idols from the 90s?

5. [+1988,-149] ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ What a joke ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹ã…‹

6. [+564,-12] Gayos these days: “Look at my legs. Look at my body. Come to me tonight. Let’s spend one day together~ Tonight!†All songs have the same lyrics these days ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+540,-11] In 20 years, everyone will have to wear short pants or skirts while shaking their butts on stage. Won’t it be a bit strange watching that feeling nostalgic? ㅋㅋㅋ

8. [+528,-33] Watching So Chanwhee perform made even IU’s 3 octave high note in Good Day sound like a snort

9. [+497,-30] If in 20 years, SHINee comes on and sings ‘Ring Ding Dong’, that would be so annoying

10. [+478,-15] ‘Growl’ would be performed

–

Do you agree? Who do you want to see in a K-pop reunion in 20 years?

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

8. [+528,-33] Watching So Chanwhee perform made even IU’s 3 octave high note in Good Day sound like a snort

Never understood why it's called a 3 octave note. It doesn't go up by octaves wtf

Also, most popular/trend idols these days are pretty disposable. I'll be surprised if anyone even remembers them in 20 years.

• Like 13

7. [+540,-11] In 20 years, everyone will have to wear short pants or skirts while shaking their butts on stage. Won’t it be a bit strange watching that feeling nostalgic? ㅋㅋㅋ

:unsure:

Still wishing for DBSK. Exotics waiting for 20 years for Luhan and Kris to come back, still not there. T^T

• Like 6

i'll be front row for a 2ne1 reunion in 20 years  :raep:

• Like 7
  • Dislike 3

If you look at the lineup of ‘ToToGa’, you can see how diverse the music was back then as well. No matter if the song was hip hop, rock, or ballad, if the song was good, the entire nation fell in love with it. The music back then was more experimental and diverse.

I agree. I know there's the argument that K-pop wasn't as popular back in the 90's because it wasn't as good as it is now but seriously, K-pop got more widespread due to widespread internet access/media.

K-pop in the 90s had a much higher production value in general (especially with regards to music composition). In simple words, it seemed like K-pop music had a lot more effort put into it back then in comparison to now.

Not that no artists are  earnest with their work now, but the ones that are don't get the recognition they deserve. People keep complaining about generic music but then that's what sells in the end.

Edited by bellshia
  • Like 8

10. [+478,-15] ‘Growl’ would be performed

But OMG. 20 years. My bias Chanyeol will be 43 years old then. :rlytearpls:

And I'll remember these days I'm stanning him, smiling at his cute puppy acts and bouncy self and just everything him. :rlytearpls:

• Like 3

I can imagine Beast probably singing On Rainy Days if that happens...

• Like 7

LOL the reactions are expected

Look, I'm pretty sure back in the 90's a lot of people were criticizing the 90's groups and singers as much as they criticize the singers today but fast foward when you look back all you would is praising them and wanting to go back to their time

It kind of remind me how a few days ago i was watching a backstreet boys mv and how lots of the comments were like "man I miss the 90's" "now this is real music not like the trash being put out today" "it makes me happy to listen to this it gives me comfort seeing current artist today" and so on

But in reality back when backstreet boys were called gays, pussy music and so on

Just wait in 20 years from now how people are goin to praise One direction and Justin bieber talking about how real their music was and if they just can't go back to that even though they're hated and ridiculed right now

• Like 9
  • Dislike 1

LOL I bet in 20yrs time these netizens will be all like "omg i feel nostalgic" "these bring back memories ã… ã… ã… " etc. etc.  :rolleyes:

However, the era suddenly changed to that of idol hook songs, and the number of full albums that artists released started to go down. It became more about quantity than quality, and the lifespan of idols became shorter and shorter. It’s hard to find a song that lasts a very long time on top of the charts these days. And because of issues like sajaegi, music became more about the charts than the music. While it’s true that the primary goal of music is to entertain, you must be criticizing that music no longer has any depth.

Sorry not sorry, but I don't think idols or companies of the current generation should be blamed for the current state of affairs in music. I blame the public

- Fans don't care about what music is good, they care about the brand name behind it and call it the greatest crap ever because it's their faves despite the lack of quality (won't mention the songs in particular).

- Hook songs? You get them because that's what they constantly download and stream and what gets attention.

- Sexy concepts? Look at how that desperation shot up some girl groups to the charts and made them relevant.

So what do you think is going to happen with these standards? More of them. Because the market feeds the consumers and the consumers want the same thing they keep getting. The thing netizens complain about. Yet what are they doing to make the situation better? Absolutely nothing. Just the typical "omg the 90s were so great idols these days are not the same yada yada".

Stop talking about this nostalgia bull and start looking at the apex of the issue here - the consumers.

There's been good idol music and a change of pace from hook songs released by idol groups (top or not) that go unnoticed and uncharted (or not long lasting) because it's not "public friendly" and it isn't catchy enough. They fail and the reactions revolve around others calling it "flops" while the successful ones are "digital monsters". Some are called "boring". There's no encouragement. Look at Brave Bros, doesn't even try to be creative and his songs still chart while other producers still fall to the wayside.

As long as people want shit, they'll keep getting shit and feed into their fandom mania and stanning, it's just really that simple. SM in particular knows this and takes advantage of it and it works.

If they want a change so badly, start with the people and the target demographic it aims at, period. Start questioning your actual country's tastes in general, netizens.

Edited by Boadicea
  • Like 5

lol pretentious netizens stay pretentious

when tic toc came out people bashed it left and right calling it an autotuned mess but u can bet ur ass 10 years from now we be reminiscing and singing about brushing our teeth with that bottle of jack

BEAST will be there performing Fiction obvi lol they might even do 12:30, like all their ballads lol

• Like 3

The truth in the comments about the basic songs~ I'm this gen yet I like 90s sound and 2000s till , I liked something before 2010 too in general in music but the music now really basically quantity sells more than quality which is annoying~ and the same ....dark night themes as mature or simple song without enthusiastim~they don't put an actual effort ...either copying or depends their stupid mvs ..etc minus some cases sure~

-----

For my favs~after some years I think:

EXO would be one in the real meaning of one ~laugh.gif

Tiara would be still there~with their determination and strong mind~ [moving my cool glasses]

DB5K should perform, and I'm saying that as a neutral kpop fan.

Maybe~casssies are such loyal if they didn't disappear , it would be cool~ :hurr:

Seeing SS501 perform Love Like This would be awesome :ahmagah:

Or maybe EXO can perform Growl~