Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Gloupipoo

*~Official haircare thread~*

There's an Aussie brand, named ego. They have a product line called QV for skincare, that's very popular (if you've heard of it) They also have anti dandruff shampoo, that works wonders. You also need to get days off from that shampoo (since it's strong) and use moisture shampoo on days off the ego shampoo.

For conditioner, use anything with moisture, since dandruff comes from having a dry scalp.

No, not really. In order to prevent dandruff you need to do some major house cleaning. Change and wash your bedsheets regularly, try getting a new towel and wash that regularly too. Don't comb your hair for a while (if you have to, buy a new comb. Dandruff is almost impossible to remove from combs) avoid hot showers, since they dry your scalp (causing more dandruff) 

The meaning of life is to coexist.

Yeah yeah, I know of QV. I might just try this, thanks for the tips.

And damn, those are pretty hard to follow. I guess I do most of those... hot showers, though...

I make a clay shampoo.  :datass:

Then condition with tresemme naturals cause it's cheap.

Edited by The Riddler

I have dandruff problem & hair fall problem. But apparently the root of the problems is I have sensitive scalp. Now I use this shampoo and I avoid any conditioner and hair products that applied directly to the scalp.

kerastase-dermo-calm-bain-vital-shampoo-

This is the god of shampoo right here everyone, the holy grail etc.

Yeah yeah, I know of QV. I might just try this, thanks for the tips.

And damn, those are pretty hard to follow. I guess I do most of those... hot showers, though...

I know it's a bitch to do, but because dandruff can latch on it's important to wash or change anything you put your head on for long periods of time i.e bed sheets, towels, clothes, combs.

I have normal hair, not dry, not oily. I wash every other day and have used mostly sulfate free shampoo for about 3 years now. My problem is itchy scalp. I don't have dandruff or redness or any other symptom other than itching. I go through about 3 different shampoos a month trying to find something that will help. I have tried natural remedies, soap based bar shampoo, synthetic bar shampoo, pine tar, clay, baking soda, vinegar, hair teas etc. and nothing works. I do have limited success with some shampoos but usually after 4 or so washes it stops working. I have tried switching between shampoos every other wash but still no luck. I recently purchased some different shampoo from Amazon and I am waiting for it to arrive. 

I have normal hair, not dry, not oily. I wash every other day and have used mostly sulfate free shampoo for about 3 years now. My problem is itchy scalp. I don't have dandruff or redness or any other symptom other than itching. I go through about 3 different shampoos a month trying to find something that will help. I have tried natural remedies, soap based bar shampoo, synthetic bar shampoo, pine tar, clay, baking soda, vinegar, hair teas etc. and nothing works. I do have limited success with some shampoos but usually after 4 or so washes it stops working. I have tried switching between shampoos every other wash but still no luck. I recently purchased some different shampoo from Amazon and I am waiting for it to arrive.

You probs have a very sensitive scalp. Avoid anything too strong or with a perfume/scent
  • Like 1

You can always just wash with water and see how it goes. Contrary to belief, water does a great job cleaning...

Do you put any products in your hair? 

Edited by The Riddler

For years I would use kerastase products and I was happy, but then I decided to start buying cheaper alternatives to save money. That proved to be a really bad decision, since my hair is really long, and I ended up having to decrease length dramatically at some point, to make it healthy again. Now I'm back to kerastase, and my hair is once more uber long and extra healthy looking. Even though I use heat, I don't have any split ends and my hair looks silky and soft. I swear by kerastase, it's a hair saviour tbh.

For years I would use kerastase products and I was happy, but then I decided to start buying cheaper alternatives to save money. That proved to be a really bad decision, since my hair is really long, and I ended up having to decrease length dramatically at some point, to make it healthy again. Now I'm back to kerastase, and my hair is once more uber long and extra healthy looking. Even though I use heat, I don't have any split ends and my hair looks silky and soft. I swear by kerastase, it's a hair saviour tbh.

Are you their spokesperson? Lol. JK

I personally look at the "science" behind hair before the brand. Ingredients, PH, etc. Now even though ingredients mimic each other formulations do matter, but a look at kerastase reveals your typical shampoo and conditioner. SLS is pervasive in every shampoo and high on the ingredient list, I also see alcohol. I'm a curly, kinky head, SLS is a hair disaster and coupled with alcohol, my word.

Nonetheless, that's what you pay $40 for? I'll pass...

Nonetheless, I'm a clay girl to begin (I mastered a good mix with trial and error) with and when I'm lazy as hell, I go for sheer moisture. One of the few store bought brands that doesn't flake like no tomorrow, but I've also balanced my hair out. Doing so prevents frizz, dandruff and flakiness. I went on a lengthy routine of ACV and Green tea rinses to really balance my hair. 

Someone said though it's better to use a product line because they are balanced to work with each other which may be why Kerastase works with your hair. I say do you boo though so if it gives you flawless hair, no biggie. Since I go through giant tubs of conditioner in a meer month, I would end up spending 1000 dollars just on kerastase alone like a year... 

Edited by Ghettoe
  • Like 1

Are you there spokesperson? Lol. JK

I personally look at the "science" behind hair before the brand. Ingredients, PH, etc. Now even though ingredients mimic each other formulations do matter, but a look at kerastase reveals your typical shampoo and conditioner. SLS is pervasive in every shampoo and high on the ingredient list, I also see alcohol. I'm a curly, kinky head, SLS is a hair disaster and coupled with alcohol, my word.

Nonetheless, that's what you pay $40 for? I'll pass...

Nonetheless, I'm a clay girl to begin (I mastered a good mix with trial and error) with and when I'm lazy as hell, I go for sheer moisture. One of the few store bought brands that doesn't flake like no tomorrow, but I've also balanced my hair out. Doing so prevents frizz, dandruff and flakiness. I went on a lengthy routine of ACV and Green tea rinses to really balance my hair. 

Someone said though it's better to use a product line because they are balanced to work with each other which may be why Kerastase works with your hair. I say do you boo though so if it gives you flawless hair, no biggie. Since I go through giant tubs of conditioner in a meer month, I would end up spending 1000 dollars just on kerastase alone like a year... 

LOL, no, I'm not. I just love the brand because it's the only one that seems to work long-lasting results with my hair. I used argan oil products for a while too, but they stopped working after a few months and wasn't worth the money anymore.

I don't spend that much. My hair is on the dry side, so I wash it twice a week. I use conditioner most of the time, and once in a while I use a hairmask. It takes 2 rounds of shampoo, but since kerastase shampoo is very concentrated, I don't need to use much. A shampoo lasts me a couple of months.

Also, I always look for discounts and I never buy on their regular price. 2 weeks ago I bought 2 shampoos for 27 euro (sorry, can't say how much in dollars), and considering these will last me 4 months, I wouldn't say it's expensive.

I'm tired of hair experiments, so for as long as I mantain long hair, I'll just stick to what works for me the best. If you use conditioner that often, I suppose it'd break your wallet to use kerastase, so it's good you've found a much cheaper way that works for you.

Different strokes for different people. I've never heard someone be disappointed in kerastase (provided they choose the right range for them ofc), but it's indeed an expensive brand and not everyone wants to spend the money, especially when they don't need to. I just feel like I have to sacrifice more on my hair since it's very long and I would hate to have it cut again to reverse damage.

2532480-0763114528-1zea1.gif

Ugh I tried cheaper alternatives once or twice.. yeah.. disaster. I only use the shampoo anyway, I keep my hair at short to medium length and I wash my hair twice a week (too often is no good for me, already tried). So it's approximately $25 every 3 months. Worth it I say.

Among several brands that I tried the only good alternative is Wella (I forgot the name of the shampoo) but they discontinued the product :( I was willing to try other brands but at this point.. I'll stick with what I know works for me.

Edited by Eigengrau
  • Like 1

@Gloup Is this just a shampoo-only thread, or can we talk about conditioner here too? :) All these dandruff worries.. I think shampoo only cleans your hair.. all the more important properties (like moisture, damage control, etc.) goes to conditioner XD

best shampoo for dandruff?

will using different shampoos/conditioners on a weekly basis help to prevent dandruff?

what is the meaning of life?

Selsun Blue once a week helps dry scalp/dandruff real well (personal experience).  Just beware that it smells pretty bad.

Also I use for my daily showering

vyRcCfK.jpg

Edited by ajewcy

@Gloup Is this just a shampoo-only thread, or can we talk about conditioner here too? :) All these dandruff worries.. I think shampoo only cleans your hair.. all the more important properties (like moisture, damage control, etc.) goes to conditioner XD

Ofc you can talk about conditioner lmao

I believe they go hand in hand

Hi y'all. 

I have really really long dark hair (falls to almost my waist) that is bone straight and flat. I'm also Asian, if that helps any.

these are the shampoo and conditioner I use every two days or so.

P0250_packshot.png?h=400&thn=0&w=307P0251_packshot.png?h=400&thn=0&w=307

Also are those products fine for my hair, or do I need a change?

I'm thinking of getting a haircut next week bc it's like too long for me to manage anymore. Plus split end hell. What hair length should it be so that it's still long, but bouncy enough?

I want fluffy(idk if that's the right word) hair. Like, I don't want it to be flat anymore, and I want it to last. What do you think I should do?

I'm also dandruffing, got any tips to deal? And I don't really want to buy anti-dandruff shampoo, I just wanna do home remedies.

I dye my hair constantly and it's thin strands, but I have a lot of it and it is kind of wavy. It's a longish length now but I'm getting it cut soon. I know it's bad but I wash my hair daily just because it poofs up if I take a shower and don't wash and condition it. I use Clear shampoo it smells amazing and my hair is extremely volumized and amazing after I use it. I use color and damage repair since I dye my hair often, but I'm sure the others are nice too.

clear-scalp-and-hair-therapy-damage-colo

I also live where there's a ton of humidity and my hair gets super frizzy, but with this it's not as bad.

Sup y'all I have Asian hair that's been permed and coloured many times over the course of my lifetime.

My hair is really long atm (but I'm getting it cut soon) and the shampoo I use is Ichikami

These ones in particular:

331300129_tp.jpg

My hair's been great (non coloured part), but I can't help but think it's making my hair flat...

Hey guys, I need some advice. A while back I was getting dandruff because I shampooed too often. So now, I haven't shampooed for like a couple weeks. My dandruff is pretty much gone but my scalp gets quite itchy. What should I do?

Hey guys, I need some advice. A while back I was getting dandruff because I shampooed too often. So now, I haven't shampooed for like a couple weeks. My dandruff is pretty much gone but my scalp gets quite itchy. What should I do?

not a professional but I heard that can happen due to yeast (?) build up. it's recommended you use shampoos with specific ingredients that control yeast. I only know that tea tree oil shampoos are good for that but I'm sure there are other specialty shampoos for that issue. 

I use Palmolive Pearl Shine/ Hydrating / Long & Shine. I switch shampoos regularly, they say that's really good.

I do weekly conditioning by lathering mayonnaise or egg with oil in my hair, leaving it tight with a hairnet for 10 minutes then rinsing, shampooing then rinsing again. It literally is a de-tangler; made my hair comb-able, silky, shiny and soft. (I don't have thick hair anymore, so I don't know if it'd work for thick hair.) 

i will never understand how ppl go w/out shampooing more than 2 days. my hair gets oily after a day @[email protected]

anyways, ive been using the Moroccan Oil spray for anti frizz/static and it's been great :D

Went back to Shea moisture. The restorative line is just  :chu:  :chu: . They also have a bigger version with better packaging which is why I went back. That conditioner, Diana Rossed my hair to flawless and soft curls. Hair was popping like an extracted zit.