Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

MIYAVIalbumpromo.jpg

MIYAVI

Birthday: 14/9/1981

Associated acts: Dué le Quartz, S.K.I.N., Juno Reactor (JUNO REACTOR Final Frontier TOUR 2013, 3rd of August 2013)

Miyavi (é›…-miyavi-), born September 14, 1981 in Hyogo, Japan, is a Japanese solo Japanese rock artist and former guitarist (under the name Miyabi (é›…, Miyabi)) for the visual kei indies band Dué le quartz, which disbanded in 2002. In the same year, Miyabi announced that he was going solo, changed his name to Miyavi, and released his debut album "ã€é›…楽】-gagaku-" He soon signed a contract with PS Company along with other artists such as Alice Nine, Kagrra,, Gazette, and Kra.

In October 2004, Miyavi released his first major single "ROCK no gyakushuu -SUPERSTAR no jouken (ロックã®é€†è¥²-スーパースターã®æ¡ä»¶-, ROCK no gyakushuu -SUPERSTAR no jouken?)" (under Universal Records Japan) and began to credit himself in the songwriting credits in his liner notes as "MYV". His first major album, "ã€é›…-miyavizm-主義】", was released in June 2005.

On Feb. 16th, 2009, it was announced on his official site that Miyavi and PS Company would be parting ways on April 5th at the Hibiya Yagai Dai Ongakdou after a 10 year relationship.

Early Life
Miyavi was born in Nisikujo, Japan. His mother is Japanese and his father is a second generation Zainichi Korean whose parents immigrated to Japan from the Korean island of Jeju. His family's Korean surname was Lee(æŽ) before changing it after moving to Japan. Miyavi has stated that though he has never been to Jeju he would like to do so when he has the opportunity. Although Miyavi does not speak Korean he has expressed interest in learning the language sometime in the future. Miyavi's parents divorced when he was young. Soon after he moved with his mother to Hyogo to live near his maternal grandparents, where he grew up. As a child, Miyavi was a good student and enjoyed playing soccer. Miyavi started playing the guitar and writing music at a young age after a soccer injury left him unable to play.

Career
In 1999, at the age of 18, Miyavi joined the visual kei band, Dué le quartz. The band broke up in September of 2002, and soon after Miyavi released his first solo album ã€é›…楽】-gagaku- under the indie label PS Company. Miyavi's significant change in music and visual styles since leaving Dué le quartz caused many of his original audience to disperse, but attracted a new audience that he did not originally have. Since embarking on his solo career Miyavi has enjoyed great success not only in Japan but around the world as well. Following his signing with Universal Records Japan in late 2004, he changed his name to "MYV", an apparent shortening of "Miyavi", although magazines and his website still refer to him as "Miyavi" presently.

In addition to his musical career, Miyavi also starred as himself in the 2004 film "Oresama (ãŠã‚Œã•ã¾, Oresama)" and is regularly featured in various J-Rock magazines such as Fools Mate, Arena 37c, and Shoxx magazine. In the past he has modeled in the Gothic & Lolita Bible and for various brands such as the clothing line Fotus.

In 2004 Miyavi was scheduled to put on a concert at Pacific Media Expo but had to cancel last minute due to staff issues, and was replaced by the Japanese band Psycho le Cému.

Personal Life
On March 14, 2009, Miyavi married pop singer Melody. He announced their marriage on April 5, 2009.
On July 29, 2009, Melody gave birth to a daughter Lovelie Miyavi Ishihara (石原 æ„›ç† é›… Ishihara Airi Miyavi?). The characters used to write the name Lovelie mean "The reason of Love".
On July 4, 2010, just three weeks and four days before Lovelie's first birthday, Miyavi announced on his Myspace blog that he and Melody were expecting their second child.
On October 21, 2010 JST, Miyavi announced on twitter his second daughter Jewelie Aoi Ishihara was born.

MUSIC WORKS

Studio Albums
[2002.10.31] Gagaku (雅楽; Old Japanese Court Music) (indies)
[2003.12.02] galyuu (é›…-galyuu-æµ; Self-Taught) (indies)
[2005.06.01] miyavizm (雅 -miyavizm- 主義)
[2006.08.02] MYV☆POPS
[2008.03.19] Miyavi -THIS IZ THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK- (é›…-THIS IZ THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK-)
[2008.06.27] AZN PRIDE -THIS IZ THE JAPANESE KABUKI ROCK- (Foreign Release Album)
[2010.10.13] WHAT'S MY NAME?
[2012.11.14] SAMURAI SESSIONS vol. 1
[2013.06.19] MIYAVI

Best Albums
[2009.04.22] VICTORY ROAD TO THE KING OF NEO VISUAL ROCK
[2010.03.24] FAN'S BEST

Remix Albums
[2008.12.24] Elegant -miyavi- Remixx Album (Room No. 382) (é›…-miyavi- Remixx album)
Acoustic Albums
[2006.09.13] Miyaviuta ~Dokusou~ (é›…-ã¿ã‚„ã³ã†ãŸ-æ­Œ ~独å¥~; Acoustic)

Cover Albums
[2007.07.18] 7 SAMURAI SESSIONS -We're KAVKI BOIZ-

Live Albums
[2011.05.02] LIVE IN LONDON 2011

Singles
[2002.11.30] Shinde mo Boogie-Woogie (死んã§ã‚‚Boogie-Woogie; Boogie-Woogie Even Though You're Dead) (indies)
[2002.11.30] POP is Dead (indies)
[2002.12.18] Jingle Bell (ジングルベル) (indies)
[2003.04.16] Jibun Kakumei -2003- (自分é©å‘½-2003-; My Revolution) (indies)
[2003.06.25] Tariraritarara♪ (タリラリタララ♪) (indies)
[2003.09.03] Coo quack cluck -Ku.Ku.Ru- (Coo quack cluck-ク・ク・ル-)(indies)
[2004.06.23] Ashita, Genki ni Naare. (ã‚ã—ã‚¿ã€å…ƒæ°—ニãªãレ。; Tomorrow Will Be Fine) (indies)
[2004.10.20] Rock no Gyakushuu -Super Star no Jouken- (ロックã®é€†è¥² -スーパースターã®æ¡ä»¶-; Counterattack of Rock -Terms of a Super Star-)
[2005.05.04] Freedom Fighters -Icecream wo Motta Hadashi no Megami to, Kikanjuu wo Motta Hadaka no Ousama- (アイスクリームをæŒã£ãŸè£¸è¶³ã®å¥³ç¥žã¨ã€æ©Ÿé–¢éŠƒã‚’æŒã£ãŸè£¸ã®çŽ‹æ§˜; Barefoot Godesses who Hold Icecreams and Naked Kings who Hold Machineguns)
[2005.10.12] Kekkonshiki no Uta / Are you ready to ROCK? (çµå©šå¼ã®å”„; Wedding Song)
[2006.01.18] Señor, Señora, Señorita / Gigpig Boogie (セニョール セニョーラ セニョリータ/Gigpigブギ)
[2006.04.12] Dear my friend / Itoshii Hito (æ„›ã—ã„人; Beloved Person)
[2006.07.05] Kimi ni Negai wo (å›ã«é¡˜ã„ã‚’; Wishing to You)
[2007.06.20] Sakihokoru Hana no You ni / Kabuki Boiz (å’²ã誇るè¯ã®æ§˜ã« / 歌舞伎男å­; Like a Flower in Full Bloom / Kabuki Boys)
[2007.11.14] Subarashiki kana, Kono Sekai -WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD- (素晴らã—ãã‹ãªã€ã“ã®ä¸–ç•Œ)
[2008.01.16] Hi no Hikari Sae Todokanai Kono Basho de (陽ã®å…‰ã•ãˆå±Šã‹ãªã„ã“ã®å ´æ‰€ã§; In This Place Where Even the Brilliance of the Sun Cannot Reach)
[2010.09.15] TORTURE
[2011.02.02] WHAT'S MY NAME? e.p.
[2013.02.20] Ahead Of The Light

Split Singles
[2011.10.05] STRONG (MIYAVI vs. KREVA)
[2012.07.11] DAY 1 (MIYAVI vs. Yuksek)
Digital Singles
[2010.03.10] SURVIVE
[2010.06.01] SUPER HERO
Video Releases
[2003.07.23] Gekokujou (下剋上)
[2004.08.21] Hitorigei (一人芸)
[2004.12.01] 2004.08.31 Miyavi Indies Last LIVE in Budokan (tte, Sono Mama Yanke.) ~'This is Oudou'-hen~ (2004å¹´8月31æ—¥ é›…-miyavi- インディーズ・ラスト LIVE in 日本武é“館(ã£ã¦ã€ãã®ã¾ã¾ã‚„ã‚“ã‘。)~「This is 王é“ã€ç·¨)
[2005.01.12] 2004.08.31 Miyavi Indies Last LIVE in Budokan (Title Nagai na, Shikashi!!) ~'Noriko no Ichinichi'-hen~ (2004å¹´8月31æ—¥ é›…-miyavi- インディーズ・ラスト LIVE in 日本武é“館(タイトル長ã„ãªã€ã—ã‹ã—ï¼ï¼)~「ã®ã‚Šå­ã®ä¸€æ—¥ã€ç·¨)
[2005.12.07] Hitorigei 2 -Kaette Kita Mr. Visual Kei- (一人芸 2 -帰ã£ã¦ããŸMr.ヴィジュアル系-)
[2006.12.20] Hitorigei 3 (一人芸 3)
[2007.05.02] 25 Shuunen Kinen Koen Tokyo Genjitsu Gekijou 5days ~Dokusou~ (25周年記念公演・æ±äº¬èŠ¸è¡“劇場5days~独å¥~)
[2008.05.07] The Beginning Of NEO VISUALIZM Tour 2007 'Gekokujou' Live at Shibuya Kougaidou (C.C. Lemon Hall) 2007/12/25 (「下克上〠Live at 渋谷公会堂(C.C.Lemon Hall) 2007/12/25)
[2008.05.07] Official Bootleg The Beginning Of NEO VISUALIZM Tour 2007 -FINAL- at Shinkiba Coast (オフィシャル・ブートレッグ The Beginning Of NEO VISUALIZM Tour [email protected]新木場STUDIO COAST)
[2008.12.24] THIS IZ THE ORIGINAL SAMURAI STYLE -Miyavi Teki 21 Seiki Gata Sekai Kenbun Roku + Kavki Boiz Teki Kindai Ukiyo Douga Shu
[2009.04.22] VICTORY ROAD TO THE KING OF NEO VISUAL ROCK -Clips-
[2010.03.24] NEO TOKYO SAMURAI BLACK WORLD TOUR vol.1

Compilations / Other
[2010.10.06] LIL - BLACK WALL feat. MIYAVI
[2011.08.17] HOTEI with FELLOWS - All Time Super Guest (#8 GUITARHYTHM)
[2012.02.29] STUDIO APARTMENT - Nihon no Uta (#13 Odoru Samurai feat. MIYAVI)
[2012.10.24] Agatsuma Hiromitsu - KUSABI (#2 Tsukikage (w MIYAVI))

Sources: http://www.jpopasia.com/celebrity/miyavi/#http://www.generasia.com/wiki/MIYAVI, Wikipedia, Juno Reactor's official website.

______

Guys. I want to ask you something... why haven't you made a Miyavi thread before? ;A;

• Like 1

Because I don't do artist threads.

Have you heard his self-titled album? I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions to it.

So if you did, you were creating this one, no?

Actually I've just stumbled upon him thanks to a twitter mate, she told me I should check his music out. Being part of Juno Reactor on his tour also played a part. I'm liking Secret and Horizon (I think from the album you have mentioned) and I see no problem. He has charisma.

Yeah, his guitar playing is always fun to watch. You should listen to his older work too like Jibun Kakumei, Torture, and Wedding March.

On it <3 I'll tell you about them once I listen to them!

I used to looooooove Miyavi  :stare:

...But then he started doing music that all sounded the same, and his attitude got really shitty. Not kawaii.

I miss younger Miyavi  :._.:

...But then he started doing music that all sounded the same, and his attitude got really shitty. Not kawaii.

? But how...?

I'm a noob at this, so I can't fully understand. Shitty in which sense?

We didn't have this earlier? :shock:

Because I don't do artist threads.

Have you heard his self-titled album? I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions to it.

Kinda disappointed with it tbh.

I demand receipts. How did his attitude get shitty?

I demand receipts. How did his attitude get shitty?

? But how...?

I'm a noob at this, so I can't fully understand. Shitty in which sense?

Well for one, when he got married randomly out of the blue there was (understandably) a lot of discontent among his (mostly adolescent) fans. Instead of addressing it like a mature adult, he accused everybody of thinking he was gay and basically said something to the effect that he was never gonna get with them so they should get over it and shut up. It was extremely rude and arrogant.

But then, I suppose that's to be expected from somebody who called himself ore-sama. I guess once he got married he stopped trying to put up a likable front.

Tried to find the entry, but his myspace blog doesn't seem to exist anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd deleted the post anyway.

• Dislike 1

Well for one, when he got married randomly out of the blue there was (understandably) a lot of discontent among his (mostly adolescent) fans. Instead of addressing it like a mature adult, he accused everybody of thinking he was gay and basically said something to the effect that he was never gonna get with them so they should get over it and shut up. It was extremely rude and arrogant.

But then, I suppose that's to be expected from somebody who called himself ore-sama. I guess once he got married he stopped trying to put up a likable front.

Tried to find the entry, but his myspace blog doesn't seem to exist anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd deleted the post anyway.

Maybe he regretted it...

I recall from last year that he "admitted" he had Korean descent. Was it him or another artist?

Maybe he regretted it...

I recall from last year that he "admitted" he had Korean descent. Was it him or another artist?

As far as I know it's been almost a decade since he mentioned him being mixed publicly lol

I particulary like this song of his plus the MV. There is a balance between singing skills, the way he moves and the general concept of the music video. While a big amount of Korean pop MVs are filmed "in a box", Japanese and Western ones are more varied in that sense, which I applaud for. Besides, I can understand his English.

Will it be the FIFA's World Cup theme song in 2014? Because Shakira's Waka Waka was somewhat degrading in my opinion...

I particulary like this song of his plus the MV. There is a balance between singing skills, the way he moves and the general concept of the music video. While a big amount of Korean pop MVs are filmed "in a box", Japanese and Western ones are more varied in that sense, which I applaud for. Besides, I can understand his English.

Will it be the FIFA's World Cup theme song in 2014? Because Shakira's Waka Waka was somewhat degrading in my opinion...

I can see this song being used for a sports event (not sure if it will though since the song won't be fresh by next year). Speaking of soccer, I heard that miyavi originally wanted to be a soccer player but couldn't because of an injury.

I can see this song being used for a sports event (not sure if it will though since the song won't be fresh by next year). Speaking of soccer, I heard that miyavi originally wanted to be a soccer player but couldn't because of an injury.

Let's see if something is confirmed...

Yes, you are not mistaken, he originally wanted to be a football player!

I like the song more than the music video. The later has a cheesy 80s film feeling and the camera moves a lot. Regardless, I love to see a bit of Japanese culture in it. Which event is it?

Miyavi playing a Taylor guitar (label also used by Taylor Swift and Jason Mraz, among others):

I like the song more than the music video. The later has a cheesy 80s film feeling and the camera moves a lot. Regardless, I love to see a bit of Japanese culture in it. Which event is it?

Miyavi playing a Taylor guitar (label also used by Taylor Swift and Jason Mraz, among others):

Ahead Of The Light is a good song. Have you tried Day 1?

Ahead Of The Light is a good song. Have you tried Day 1?

Yes, I like that one as well. I think that in music terms, I like more his recent stuff. Though I love AZN Pride as well.

Also I prefer his most recent looks... seems that the visual kei isn't my thing... but they are only my tastes!

Hello!  :smile: Updating with stuff from Sonic Bang 2013.

This FB site has several great pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.577957705600642.1073741878.396813983715016&type=1

Sonic Bang Interview

Fancams:

Selfish LOVE

What My Name

Edited by Garnet
  • Like 1

Hello!  :smile: Updating with stuff from Sonic Bang 2013.

This FB site has several great pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.577957705600642.1073741878.396813983715016&type=1

Sonic Bang Interview

Fancams:

Selfish LOVE

What My Name

Thank you <3333

Huh, his Japanese is somewhat peculiar...