Welcome to the Official
GENERAL GAMING THREAD
This thread is a place where you can discuss about ANYTHING that is related to games / consoles / technology, etc.
Here you can talk about anything you want, just as long as it's related to games. However if you wish to only discuss
about a certain console and it's company then there are the Official threads for that.
Playstation / Sony
Date of Origin: 7th of May, 1946
Founder(s): Masaru Ibuka, Akio Morita
Headquarters location: Minato, Tokyo, Japan
Official Website: http://www.sony.net/
Gaming Console History
• Originally, Sony was just a partner and was asked by Nintendo to develop an add-on
for its console that would play Compact Discs. However, a disagreement between the two
over software licensing led to the partnership falling apart. Sony then continued the project independently.
Home Console History
• In 1994, the first Home Console from Sony, the "PlayStation" was released.
• Sony followed up with the PlayStation 2 later in 200, which came on to be the best
selling console of all time with over 150 million units sold as of 2011.
• In 2006, Sony released the PS3 which boasted its capability to play "High Definition" games.
It was also the first console to use the Blu-ray format, which is now the preferred DVD format.
Portable Console History
• In 2005, Sony extended the brand to the portable games market with the release of the PlayStation Portable
which is also known as the "PSP". The console came on to be a direct competition to Nintendo's
"Nintendo DS" but fell short when sale figures are taken into consideration.
• In 2009, Sony released it's second version of the PSP, the "PSP Go", which went on to sell poorly and
was ultimately discontinued. The main feature of this Portable Console was it's "no disc" feature which
was replaced with a UMD drive, but many argues that this was also the downfall of the system.
• In 2011 - 2012, Sony released it's latest portable console, the PSP Vita. Although sales for the PSP
Vita is significantly better than that of the PSP Go, it is still falling behind when compared to Nintendo's
latest portable console, the "Nintendo 3DS". This generation of Sony's portable console, boasts
HD gaming and the ability to play PS4 / PS3 games on it).