Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The schedule for an ordinary trainee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 adda

adda

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:10 AM (Edited by adda, 13 September 2014 - 02:23 AM.)

I’m relatively new in k-pop and I don’t understand some things. For example: the training period. I’ve read an article about the schedule for an ordinary trainee.

Don Lee is an ex- trainee of JYP Entertainment. On his YouTube Channel he spoke about the schedule for an ordinary trainee. (Donleebaby, 2012) A day at JYP starts at 10am. For two hours trainees practice their dancing or singing skills. At 12 o’clock they eat lunch. In the afternoon the classes start.These classes are for singing, dancing, rapping, Chinese, instrument lessons, acrobatics, acting and Korean. These classes are between 1 and three hours long. Every trainee has their own schedule. At 6pm it is dinner time and after that trainees practice till 10pm. After that they are free to go, but most of them keep practicing more if they have a show coming up. They do this 6 days a week. At the end of every month there is an evaluation to see if trainees are improving. Trainees are allowed to have some free time. They are allowed to go to the movies and sometimes JYP would take the trainees to a concert. 

“competitive team orientated workplace. You are simultaneousl y working with each other to get better, but you also try to outmatch each other. [...] I do not want to leave you with the image that it was a cutthroat competition. It was a pre tty nice place to practice actually. People there are genuine nice and if you ask for help, they would gladly help. And they will not sabotage you or backstab you. ” (Don Lee, 2012)  source: (pg.34)

The girls/boys  don’t go anymore to school? I mean, look at their schedule (classes for singing,dancing, rapping, acting … all day). They don’t have “normal” classes? Even if you attend an arts high school you still follow a program like others, you still have math, physics, chemistry etc.(not so many classes though)  This looks  more like a school of performing, so they expect young trainees to drop out school when they sign a contract with them? I guess big companies like SM, YB or JYP recruit many people but not all of them make a debut.

Do you know K-idols who attend or graduated from university ?

#2 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,883 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

Wow. That's intense. 

ChoA and Way from Crayon Pop both go to universities. Way is a music major at Sungshin Women's University and ChoA is a drama major at Seoul Institute of the Arts. 

#3 SAYAKA

SAYAKA

.・゜´ᵕ ♡°☽°.*・゜゜・.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,918 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

most usually still go to HS while training. And some continue on into college. There are a lot of celebrities so here's a list of them for you http://kpopblogasia....ing-university/

#4 Stepho

Stepho

Debutee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

I’m relatively new in k-pop and I don’t understand some things. For example: the training period. I’ve read an article about the schedule for an ordinary trainee.

Don Lee is an ex- trainee of JYP Entertainment. On his YouTube Channel he spoke about the schedule for an ordinary trainee. (Donleebaby, 2012) A day at JYP starts at 10am. For two hours trainees practice their dancing or singing skills. At 12 o’clock they eat lunch. In the afternoon the classes start.These classes are for singing, dancing, rapping, Chinese, instrument lessons, acrobatics, acting and Korean. These classes are between 1 and three hours long. Every trainee has their own schedule. At 6pm it is dinner time and after that trainees practice till 10pm. After that they are free to go, but most of them keep practicing more if they have a show coming up. They do this 6 days a week. At the end of every month there is an evaluation to see if trainees are improving. Trainees are allowed to have some free time. They are allowed to go to the movies and sometimes JYP would take the trainees to a concert. 

“competitive team orientated workplace. You are simultaneousl y working with each other to get better, but you also try to outmatch each other. [...] I do not want to leave you with the image that it was a cutthroat competition. It was a pre tty nice place to practice actually. People there are genuine nice and if you ask for help, they would gladly help. And they will not sabotage you or backstab you. ” (Don Lee, 2012)  source: (pg.34)

The girls/boys  don’t go anymore to school? I mean, look at their schedule (classes for singing,dancing, rapping, acting … all day). They don’t have “normal” classes? Even if you attend an arts high school you still follow a program like others, you still have math, physics, chemistry etc.  This looks  more like a school of performing, so they expect young trainees to drop out school when they sign a contract with them? I guess big companies like SM, YB or JYP recruits many people but not all of them make a debut.

taetiseo_1408607904_20140821_seohyun_gra

#5 adda

adda

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,457 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

most usually still go to HS while training. And some continue on into college. There are a lot of celebrities so here's a list of them for you http://kpopblogasia....ing-university/

thank you :)

#6 Mrs Yoon

Mrs Yoon

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:21 AM (Edited by miss yoon, 13 September 2014 - 02:28 AM.)

some/all b2st members graduated university. Yosoeb graduated earlier this year and Dongwoon is still attending classes when he can, he 'll be graduating soon.

#7 potaeto

potaeto

f(soshibang)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

that's basically their lives spent in there :cry: kinda sad.... but if they're passionate about it, go ahead

#8 ripiasuju

ripiasuju

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

Wow. That's intense. 

ChoA and Way from Crayon Pop both go to universities. Way is a music major at Sungshin Women's University and ChoA is a drama major at Seoul Institute of the Arts. 

I wish crayon pop could show more if their talented side to the world :(

#9 ilesa

ilesa

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:33 AM (Edited by ilesa, 13 September 2014 - 02:39 AM.)

source: (pg.34)

" New recruits are expected to keep their bodies fit. Guys are expected to get abs and girls are supposed to lose weight. In the case of Girls Generation it was revealed that the girls only eat 800 calories per day. (“Girls Generation diet”, 2009) In comparison a normal girl that age should eat about 1800 calories per day. In the training process the trainees are also expected to know about current situations in the world. For that reason reading a newspaper daily is mandatory "

:hurr:  :smile:

#10 Jinhwanderer

Jinhwanderer

Idol

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:37 AM

TOP is attending a graduate school

#11 mercya

mercya

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:42 AM

Minzy goes to college. She's a theology major at Baekseok University. Accounts say she attends almost all her classes and there are pics and vids of her hanging out with classmates n stuff. Oh and despite 2ne1's busy schedule this year she got all A's last sem and was awarded a scholarship too.

...... Lol I'll shut up about my bias now...

#12 bingo

bingo

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

I guess it differs for every trainee? 

For eg, 15& and some of the GOT7 boys still go to high school. 

Apparently, for JYPE, they have to maintain a certain grade in HS to stay as trainee in the academy.

So, I see that Don's schedules don't seem to fit that criterion. Was he attending school when he was a trainee in JYPE>

#13 ilesa

ilesa

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

#14 What I think is

What I think is

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

youtube make it more time efficient..you might have to ask him more and detailed...and you will manage to get one person opinion..

as for education, the person or the foster person would make the trainee have some a deal so they could have make him attend/take a class...

have you heard about a professor that take a class for a/some 2PM member...yep..it was some of scandal that occurs and down about education. 

if you want some experience, you can try a home schooling way or extension class or night class...uni and some school have their own educational deal for the people that didn't have much time 

#15 Cloud09

Cloud09

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:41 AM (Edited by Cloud09, 13 September 2014 - 03:46 AM.)

Kyuhyun is studying Masters now :rlytearpls:
He graduated from Kyunghee University.

Siwon Ryeowook from Inha University

siwon-and-ryeo-wook.jpg

#16 mandujjang

mandujjang

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:03 PM (Edited by mandujjang, 13 September 2014 - 04:07 PM.)

The girls/boys  don’t go anymore to school? I mean, look at their schedule (classes for singing,dancing, rapping, acting … all day). They don’t have “normal” classes? Even if you attend an arts high school you still follow a program like others, you still have math, physics, chemistry etc.(not so many classes though)  This looks  more like a school of performing, so they expect young trainees to drop out school when they sign a contract with them? I guess big companies like SM, YB or JYP recruit many people but not all of them make a debut.

Like Don said, each trainee's scheds are different. His would be quite full time despite him going to Uni at the same time since he's from the US. Korean trainees still go to school (mostly performing arts schools- suzy, lim, 15&, yugyeom all go to the same arts school).

Korean trainees' scheds would probably have have a time designated for school.

I also heard that to stay a trainee in JYP you have to maintain sa certain grade in school or you'll be kicked out.

During WG's peak during Tell Me, Yenny was #1 in her class, and #9 in her whole school. She went to Uni afterwards.

#17 campfire

campfire

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

10-10 isn't long to me at all considering they're doing so much stuff. Y'all lazy.

#18 bzz

bzz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

#19 lepidoptery

lepidoptery

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:15 PM (Edited by lepidoptery, 13 September 2014 - 06:34 PM.)

have you heard about a professor that take a class for a/some 2PM member...yep..it was some of scandal that occurs and down about education. 

If it's the scandal I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure that was a ZE:A member.  While Taecyeon was enrolled in school and hasn't really been attending classes, he was just marked absent.

EDIT: what I remember about ZE:A and school http://netizenbuzz.b...-professor.html vs. what I remember about 2PM and schoohttp://netizenbuzz.b...at-college.html

#20 Miyami

Miyami

Superstar

• Tech Admin
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

10-10 isn't long to me at all considering they're doing so much stuff. Y'all lazy.

I think it's very long and harsh. And with those schedules you basically don't have any free time. I mean.. no time to play games, go out to the bar, practice any other hobbies etc.. 

Up, Up and Away!