Photo

The Literature Thread

• Please log in to reply
2538 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (481 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (82 votes [5.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

2. Fiction (303 votes [19.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.29%

3. Fantasy (242 votes [15.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.40%

4. Mystery (176 votes [11.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.20%

5. Horror (87 votes [5.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.54%

6. Sci-Fi (111 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

7. Romance (162 votes [10.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.31%

8. Chick-Lit (59 votes [3.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

9. Historical (117 votes [7.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

10. Voted Classics (143 votes [9.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.10%

11. Other (89 votes [5.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Omg this is my kind of thread!!

So I finished reading this book for my rhetoric & writing studies class. And it was amazing. Despite the tons of homework I had, I still read all 400 pages on 2 1/2 days. I couldn't put it down! It was amazing.

The book is titled Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks. Came out in 2012, I believe. It's about this sex offender called "the Kid" who is trying to just stay alive and make himself a life (somewhat). The kid lives in a run-down area on the outskirts of town with other homeless sex offenders. He meets this Professor who is interested in doing research on homelessness, particularly within the sex offenders community. But this professor, who is a well-known, established, intelligent man, has got his own deep, personal issues that control him.

It's just a very powerful, eye-opening story. Definitely one that you can get hooked on. 10/10! It was fab

sounds interesting I will add it to the front page

I  haven't managed to read any thing in a while, I am starting Dolores Claiborne tonight

#42 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

I seriously need to stop buying books. I just got 6 more today and I have like 20+ that I still haven't read  :._.:

Jodi Picoult is going to be the death of me.

#43 maryan

maryan

mischief managed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,282 posts
  • LocationWhale's Vagina

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

I seriously need to stop buying books. I just got 6 more today and I have like 20+ that I still haven't read :._.:

this is my problem too. i bought the "A Song of Ice and Fire" (GoT) series 2 years ago and I haven't had time to properly start reading it ever since... not to mention all the others books i purchased. we are book addicts

#44 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

I seriously need to stop buying books. I just got 6 more today and I have like 20+ that I still haven't read 

I buy lots of books, but then when I see my room, I think: 'I need a bigger home.'

#45 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

My mom now calls me crazy book lady T.T

#46 SEWER RAT

SEWER RAT

*corporate white guy trappin' 2 muh faves slayin*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

There is nothing wrong with buying books, we spend money on junk food and disposable fashion trends regardless.

I still have no idea on what Murakami's new book is about, I hope it isn't long and all over the place like The Wind-up bird chronicle. 

#47 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I still have no idea on what Murakami's new book is about, I hope it isn't long and all over the place like The Wind-up bird chronicle. 

Speaking of him I have never saw one of his books here before T.T

I do have one named bird something (it's on Portuguese) and it's really good (so far). I would like to read more from him.

Not sure if it's the same one you were talking about.

hmcpc.jpg

#48 SEWER RAT

SEWER RAT

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Speaking of him I have never saw one of his books here before T.T

I do have one named bird something (it's on Portuguese) and it's really good (so far). I would like to read more from him.

Not sure if it's the same one you were talking about.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BZvE8PWw_c4/Rf...

Yeah it's that. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooo long and the plot is SO frustrating, I spent last summer finishing it off, be prepared for physical exhaustion. Also some scenes will scar you for life, I legit had nightmares about some scenes, fuck.

If you're talking about 1Q84 I fucking loved it.

Speaking if Murakami, I just started Kafka on the Shore, it seems very promising

I've read many polarising reviews of the 1Q84 franchise, not sure if I should add it to my to-read list  :unsure: . Damn that reminds me my friend was supposed to loan me her copy of Kafka on The Shore. Heard it's really good! Apparently his shorter works > his longer works.

Re : his new book

The novel is about a man who was suddenly cut off by his close friends.

Japanese author Haruki Murakami says his latest novel was a new experiment and grew longer than expected as he developed a desire to expand on side characters while writing.

The latest novel by one of Japan’s most respected and popular novelists, “Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and the Year of His Pilgrimage,” has sold more than 1 million copies a week since it went on sale last month.

Murakami said in a rare public appearance Monday that the novel reflected his deep interest in real people and relationships rather than something implicit.

The novel is about a man who was suddenly cut off by his close friends and the process of healing from that.

Murakami’s internationally known works include “Norwegian Wood” and “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.''

LOL, recurring motifs in all of this works.  :lol:

#49 SEWER RAT

SEWER RAT

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,709 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yeah I've read mixed reviews of IQ84, but I really enjoyed it and I was glad I read it. I guess it depends on taste and if you can handle that style for that length. I agree about his shorter works being better

I guess if I could stomach Wind-up Bird Chronicle, I can take any Murakami franchise thrown at me lol.

This is a nice tumblr for quotes from a diverse selection of authors, poems and books ^^ http://larmoyante.com/

#50 Idahoe

Idahoe

♥Ringo's Wife♥

• PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationSexy Tangent

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

I've read many polarising reviews of the 1Q84 franchise, not sure if I should add it to my to-read list  :unsure: . Damn that reminds me my friend was supposed to loan me her copy of Kafka on The Shore. Heard it's really good! Apparently his shorter works > his longer works.

1Q84 was a book I just couldn't finish. I tried to get into it, but it just didn't pull me in like Dance, Dance, Dance & Norwegian Wood had. 

It takes a long while to set things up and makes some pretty boring choices for the characters (or, at least, I didn't care for them). You end up with your cliche, stoic man drifting through life with a passion he never seems particularly passionate about... as is expected from Murakami. I love the guy, but 1Q84 just could not hold my attention. 

how do i get in the OP  :donthinkso:

Offer an alliance between Miss Cosgrove and the llamas, maybe? 

#51 h0neanias

h0neanias

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

I seriously need to stop buying books. I just got 6 more today and I have like 20+ that I still haven't read  :._.:

I buy a lot of mine second-hand; easies up on the money at least, if not space.

#52 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I buy a lot of mine second-hand; easies up on the money at least, if not space.

I also buy mine used because I'm not that rich and books are really expensive.

Some times, at yard sales, books are like 50 cents o.o

I do need a bookshelf though xD

#53 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

i really enjoyed the female character, which is why i think i liked the book so much. It drags a bit though, i do confess

r u willing to make a deal with da devil

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m50dy5oB9...

:soul:  don't besmirch the thread with evil

I went to the theatres yesterday and as usual while waiting for my friends I went to the bookstore, but I restrained myself from buying anything though, I don't know whether to feel proud of myself or sit in a corner and cry :omg:

#54 h0neanias

h0neanias

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

I do need a bookshelf though xD

Tell me about it. Mine looks like Tetris now; I was overjoyed recently when I found a new order that allows me to add maybe five, six more. :meow:

#55 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Tell me about it. Mine looks like Tetris now; I was overjoyed recently when I found a new order that allows me to add maybe five, six more. :meow:

:lol:

My books:

Spoiler

#56 h0neanias

h0neanias

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

:lol:

My books:

You seem to like Jodi Picoult a lot. What is she about?

#57 Fake

Fake

Idol

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Have you ever tried ebooks?

#58 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

You seem to like Jodi Picoult a lot. What is she about?

So basically she writes about stuff that we can relate and about very sensible topics.

Some of the topics she tackled: rape, a "suicide" pact, a lesbian couple and the problems they have being one, a school shooting, sexual molestation , etc...

I really like how her books are about things that could have happen to any of us and her characters are extremely real. They aren't heroes nor are they villains. 

If you decide to read one of her books expect a lot of twists :p

For more info go here: http://bestsellers.a..._books_list.htm

Books >>> ebooks.

#59 h0neanias

h0neanias

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Nope. I sometimes download myself one when I want to know whether a book is worth having, but I buy physical copies only. If you can't use it when there's no electricity, it's not a book.

#60 Ohsogrey

Ohsogrey

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

Thoughts on this list?

http://www.buzzfeed....ead-in-your-20s

I'm thinking about completing it and wanted to get some opinions?

Up, Up and Away!