Photo

The Literature Thread

• Please log in to reply
2511 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (475 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (82 votes [5.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.27%

2. Fiction (301 votes [19.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.36%

3. Fantasy (238 votes [15.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.31%

4. Mystery (172 votes [11.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.06%

5. Horror (87 votes [5.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

6. Sci-Fi (110 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

7. Romance (159 votes [10.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.23%

8. Chick-Lit (58 votes [3.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.73%

9. Historical (117 votes [7.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.52%

10. Voted Classics (143 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

11. Other (88 votes [5.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ruppi

ruppi

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,468 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

I read something today and it must have been the best book I have every read so far.

It was so beautiful,hauntig,erotic and simply heart breaking.I don't think this novelle will leave me for quite some time.

I can only recommend this book...it's called Blind obsession and is written by Ella Frank.

https://www.goodread...blind-obsession

I feel guitly because I can't really put into words how breathtaking this novelle is.Hope anyone who reads it will love it just like I did.

edit: Oh and it's adult ficition so not for kids..sorry^^

#22 Cloud

Cloud

∞~ W∂rriør Ɛℓƒ ~∞

• PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationELFdom

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

woaaahhhhh.....my Favourite topic is a thread  :ahmagah: 

Hi all!  :)

#23 Ghettoe

Ghettoe

The Riddler

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationGhettoe

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Recently read Black Like Me.

#24 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes!  found this thread *followed

I haven't finished a book in too long ><. The last book I finished was Gabriel's Angel, which was an ok read but nothing too fascinating. Decided I should try and work on my grammar so am reading a grammar book. Not as boring as it sounds. Also picked up 'From Hell' by Alan Moore, which is an interesting take on Jack the Ripper. 

Wahey you're back :smile:

I've seen the film 'You're Hell', so if the book is better than the film (which it generically is), then I wouldn't mind giving it a go. 

I fancy a bit of crime right now.

Suggestions anyone?

#25 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Suggestions anyone?

I read Creep and other book which I can't remember the title but I really liked it.

Creep was very interesting and well creepy xD A teacher had an affair with her student but when she told him it was over because she was getting married her life became hell when he threatened to release their sex tape. 

The other book I read (I'll post the title soon) is definitely a page turner with a lot of twists. A detective is trying to find what happened to  a girl that disappeared but what they find later is clues that she might have been murdered. Her disappearance reminds the detective and the whole city of what happened that year to another girl who was out biking.

I'm currently reading House of Evil which is based on a real story and the same story the movie An American Crime was based on.

It's the story of a girl who was tortured, forced to masturbate, beaten, starved until she finally died at age of 16.

Some of the people who did this to her were children younger than she was and they claim they did it because their mother/neighbor told  him to do it and manipulated them.

I think about 3 or 4 of the people who were involved were charged with murder and sent to life in prison.

Will write reviews on these books alter.

#26 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

I read Creep and other book which I can't remember the title but I really liked it.

Creep was very interesting and well creepy xD A teacher had an affair with her student but when she told him it was over because she was getting married her life became hell when he threatened to release their sex tape. 

The other book I read (I'll post the title soon) is definitely a page turner with a lot of twists. A detective is trying to find what happened to  a girl that disappeared but what they find later is clues that she might have been murdered. Her disappearance reminds the detective and the whole city of what happened that year to another girl who was out biking.

I'm currently reading House of Evil which is based on a real story and the same story the movie An American Crime was based on.

It's the story of a girl who was tortured, forced to masturbate, beaten, starved until she finally died at age of 16.

Some of the people who did this to her were children younger than she was and they claim they did it because their mother/neighbor told  him to do it and manipulated them.

I think about 3 or 4 of the people who were involved were charged with murder and sent to life in prison.

Will write reviews on these books alter.

Is it this one?

10088219.jpg

I read the blurb and it sounds promising, thanks.  Now all I have to do is get hold of a copy...

#27 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Is it this one?

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348414324l...

I read the blurb and it sounds promising, thanks.  Now all I have to do is get hold of a copy...

Yes it is. Sorry for not providing images and the authors D:

#28 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yes it is. Sorry for not providing images and the authors D:

Haha it was not difficult to find :D  Thanks for the recommendation.

#29 fuckJohnny

fuckJohnny

#satansoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,293 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Haha it was not difficult to find :D  Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem :)

Finished reading House of Evil yesterday and I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home.

#30 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

After some major thread neglect due to time constraint the op for the thread should be fixed and updated to include the new recs, if you see anything missing, or want to change youre name or see a mistake let me know

#31 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

No problem

Finished reading House of Evil yesterday and I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home.

I see you're a big Jodie Picoult fan !

After some major thread neglect due to time constraint the op for the thread should be fixed and updated to include the new recs, if you see anything missing, or want to change youre name or see a mistake let me know

I think you put my oild username (bad3gg), could you change it to "eggy" please?

#32 Nurse XIA

Nurse XIA

Xia♥Lock

• Hall OH Fame
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationFighting evil by moonlight. Winning love by daylight.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

I have recently read The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.

#33 checkers

checkers

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Location~In the stars~

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Does reading job advertisements count? lol I still haven't gotten around to reading the many neglected books on my shelf  :._.:

#34 wiz109

wiz109

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

I see you're a big Jodie Picoult fan !

I think you put my oild username (bad3gg), could you change it to "eggy" please?

mais oui :hoplz:

Does reading job advertisements count? lol I still haven't gotten around to reading the many neglected books on my shelf  :._.:

lol I am in th same position, so many books I bought yet so little time to read, I want to so badly though

#35 Idahoe

Idahoe

♥Ringo's Wife♥

• PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationSexy Tangent

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

tumblr_m14xw7Lw3Q1qecv43o1_500.gif

Yes!  found this thread *followed

Wahey you're back :smile:

I've seen the film 'You're Hell', so if the book is better than the film (which it generically is), then I wouldn't mind giving it a go. 

Suggestions anyone?

Hey eggy! Nice to see you again!

From what I remember reading, the writer (Alan Moore) hated the movie adaption and after seeing how bad it was, refused to go and see the other graphic novels he had made be turned into movies. Since the publishers had the rights, he couldn't stop them ><. 

Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' was a good read, I'd recommend that if you wanted anything else.

#36 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

mais oui

merci beaucoup :chu:

From what I remember reading, the writer (Alan Moore) hated the movie adaption and after seeing how bad it was, refused to go and see the other graphic novels he had made be turned into movies. Since the publishers had the rights, he couldn't stop them ><. 

Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' was a good read, I'd recommend that if you wanted anything else.

Yeah, I've read some of her work... mostly her Poirot and a few of Marple.  I think I saw a drama adaptation of the book you mentioned, but I don't remember haha. 

#37 wiz109

wiz109

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m14xw7...

Love this book, I should buy a copy, though I have no time to read it :._.:

#38 maryan

maryan

mischief managed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationWhale's Vagina

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Omg this is my kind of thread!!

So I finished reading this book for my rhetoric & writing studies class. And it was amazing. Despite the tons of homework I had, I still read all 400 pages on 2 1/2 days. I couldn't put it down! It was amazing.

The book is titled Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks. Came out in 2012, I believe. It's about this sex offender called "the Kid" who is trying to just stay alive and make himself a life (somewhat). The kid lives in a run-down area on the outskirts of town with other homeless sex offenders. He meets this Professor who is interested in doing research on homelessness, particularly within the sex offenders community. But this professor, who is a well-known, established, intelligent man, has got his own deep, personal issues that control him.

It's just a very powerful, eye-opening story. Definitely one that you can get hooked on. 10/10! It was fab

#39 SEWER RAT

SEWER RAT

*corporate white guy trappin' 2 muh faves slayin*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I have recently read The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Read the Penelopiad by her, so witty and snarky, her take on The Odyssey is awesome. 

Can't wait for the movie adaptation for Miss Julie, love that Jessica Chastain is in it. 

#40 Nurse XIA

Nurse XIA

Xia♥Lock

• Hall OH Fame
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationFighting evil by moonlight. Winning love by daylight.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Read the Penelopiad by her, so witty and snarky, her take on The Odyssey is awesome. 

Can't wait for the movie adaptation for Miss Julie, love that Jessica Chastain is in it. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out. 

Up, Up and Away!