• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#1 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:10 PM (Edited by The Dense One, 14 February 2014 - 07:55 AM.)

Now I often see threads about which K-Pop Idol Rapper is better than who, and why this one is so good and the other one is so bad... And I think to myself.

"Do these guys actually know how to judge which rapper is better than another one?"

This is where this thread comes in, even though preference in rap is mostly subjective, there is an actual science behind rap and a legitimate way to judge which rapper is more adept at their craft than the other. The rest (like looks, style and swagger) is history.

First things first, in order to judge which rapper is the best, you need to look at the criteria. I personally keep it simple with three points.

1. Vocal Tone

This criteria is considered the most subjective, because if we look at mainstream media, different rappers have different tones that work for them and are successful in those endeavors. The ideal tone is one where the voice is deep enough to carry weight to the words but also light enough to understand the diction or pronunciation.

Rappers like Method Man, Royce Da 5'9" and Jay Z have voices like that.

However it's not compulsory to have a voice like that, Eminem, Andre 3000 and Logic have particularly light voices and British rapper Giggs has a very deep voice, and they manage to do just fine.

Another ideal aspect is to have a smooth enough voice for the flow (another term we'll get too) to feel just right, but also gruff enough to add some aggression to it. This mostly depends on the song, but rappers like Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne and B.O.B have the right idea in this area.

But again,  you have rappers like Rick Ross with overtly husky voices and 50 Cent with a very smooth timbre but hilariously bad diction to compensate for it.

The point I'm getting across is that, the best way to judge Vocal Tone is simply whether or not it is annoying to you or the general populace.

For example, Lil Kim and Nicki Minaj are both from New York with very similar artistry and rap styles... But why do people get annoyed with Nicki Minaj and not Lil Kim? One could argue overexposure, however it is simply due to the way the Vocal Tone fits the lyricism, delivery and the beat. Nothing to do with flow whatsoever. (It also helps that Lil Kim has a bit more bass in her voice, but whatever.)

2. Delivery

The next thing to consider is delivery.

Now this term is often confused with flow in the sense of the definitions being mixed up. Delivery is only ever used to describe the rapper's annunciation of words, their diction and the emotion or emphasis behind each word.

For example, with songs like "Not Afraid" or "Lose Yourself" the delivery of the rapper (Eminem) is shown to be quite powerful, emotional and aggressive... Which fits the song, the artist's persona and the motif behind the songs. Whereas songs like "Mirror" (Lil Wayne) the delivery is quite lackadaisical and melancholy, the former quality fits the artist's persona but the latter fits the song quite well.

Two different types of delivery but they each fit the song well and fit the artist well... However! If they were to swap delivery for both of these songs, then it wouldn't fit nearly as well, even though both raps are quite good in their own right.

Delivery is completely dependent on three things...

The beat. The rapper/lyricist. The concept.

If a "gangster" rapper started rapping with Jimin's voice on a song like Gee, then that would be awful... However, if he started rapping with Yongguk's voice on a beat like "Lean Back" by Fat Joe, that would be perfect.

Delivery is the least subjective out of the three points, but it is still somewhat subjective to say the least. People may like hearing bars about robbing a bank from Jimin whilst "Gee Gee Gee" is playing in the background.

3. Flow

This one is the trickiest, because there are different types. It's akin to a singer's voice...

Now while there is a standard procedure for vocalists to follow and you can easily define a person's singing technique being bad (e.g. Bom has awful technique, whereas Ailee has beautiful technique in comparison). In rap, it's not that simple, partially due to the fact that nothing is being sung.

Flow is defined as the ability to construct the line in a manner that not only fits the bit but also doesn't disrupt the rhythmic cadence of the entire rap.

A good example of flow? "Rap God (Eminem)", "Malcolm X (Royce Da 5'9)", "No Limit (Zico)", "Memories (Yoon Mirae)".

However, you can also have bad flow in a song, but it is still considered good because of the lyricism or delivery... "Dance With The Devil (Immortal Technique)", "Yonkers (Tyler The Creator)".

You can also have stop-and-start flow where the idea is to purposely make the flow choppy in preference to the delivery.

These are the three ways to judge whether or not your bias is good at rapping, if you want some in-depth analysis you could post a video or any other type of excerpt and I could analyze it for you if you wish... Hope you all learned something.

-------------------------------------------

One last thing, there are three main types of rapping style as well!

Musician's Rapper (Mu) is a rapper that can adapt to any flow and suit the genre of the beat and instrumentation, they are more prone to experimentation of sorts. Rappers that fit this description are guys like Drake, Travie McCoy, Mike Shinoda, Macklemore and Yours Truly.

Old School Rapper (Sch) is a rapper that treats their raps like a piece of furniture they need to build and know that their vocal tone is the paint, the flow is the woodwork and the delivery is materials. They pay attention to every detail in their rapping style meticulously and will make sure that the finished product is something that has their signature all over it and is sturdy and beautiful as fuck. Rappers that fit this description are guys like Tech N9ne, Immortal Technique, Nas, Eminem, Biggie Smalls, Tupac, Method Man and ironically enough Lil Wayne (although he fits all the criteria).

New Era Rapper (NE), otherwise known as the Post Hip-Hop approach. These guys are no worse than the other ones mentioned, it's just that their approach is different. New Era rappers tend to focus more on what is unique about their approach or what style suits them than the actual piece, Old School Rappers can be like that too, but what separates them is that Old School rappers are more concerned about the rap and everything to do with the rap. New Era Rappers are more concerned with how everything sounds but not to the extent where they would change up their whole style like a Musician's Rapper would. Guys like this are Kendrick Lamar, Hopsin, B.O.B, etc.

The emboldened brackets will be the style I believe that the rappers analyzed are following.

Rappers Analyzed:

Spoiler

#2 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,899 posts
  • LocationWayland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

This thread looks interesting. Although, I am not interested in American rappers, I like Korean rappers. 

#3 MoreTokyo

MoreTokyo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:13 PM (Edited by MoreTokyo, 05 February 2014 - 10:16 PM.)

I'll bless this thread with O'fficial (Skip to 3:39-5:54)!

I'll be popping in and out of thread. I'll be able to help you if you need anything regarding battle rap.

#4 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'll bless this thread with O'fficial (Skip to 3:39-5:54)!

I'll be popping in and out of thread. I'll be able to help you if you need anything regarding battle rap.

Who is this girl? She is dope as fuck! XD

#5 MoreTokyo

MoreTokyo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

Who is this girl? She is dope as fuck! XD

She's a battle rapper from New Orleans! She's lethal in the ring.

#6 Seultoria

Seultoria

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

EXID's Hani >>>>>>>>

#7 yournoona

yournoona

KONtact Center

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,319 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Is it limited to kpop or american rap included as well?
Gonna visit the thread more often to learn something lol~

#8 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:40 PM (Edited by The Dense One, 05 February 2014 - 10:41 PM.)

EXID's Hani >>>>>>>>

Short Answer: She raps better than your oppars.

Long Answer: Based on this clip, the vocal tone is a bit too high-pitched for a female rapper and this song, but it gets the job done.

The delivery is a bit lackluster, it sounds really breathy and that she struggles to get some of the words out sometimes, but the diction is good enough to get the words across and because she isn't the main rapper of EXID I can cut her some slack for that.

The flow is hella nice though, everything fits together seamlessly and is executed perfectly, with a bit more dedication to delivery and putting some more bass into her voice she could be one of the best K-Pop idol rappers one day.

Is it limited to kpop or american rap included as well?
Gonna visit the thread more often to learn something lol~

Well you could do American Rap I suppose, but I was sort of just expecting K-Pop XD

#9 horny fangirl

horny fangirl

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

nicki is queen

#10 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,899 posts
  • LocationWayland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I have a question. How well does Way of Crayon Pop rap in this song? I know that rapping is not her thing, but her rapping is my favorite part of the song. Her rap is at 1:53. 

#11 mnt21

mnt21

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • LocationIn bed

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:43 PM (Edited by mnt21, 05 February 2014 - 10:48 PM.)

How good is Fort minor and if you don't know them check out the song Right Now, remember the name and the hard way, Kenji.

Fort minor is the guy from Linkin Park

#12 junglove

junglove

♡Kim Jisoo

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • Locationiljinjack land

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

what do you think about Miryo?

#13 TheOfficialPimpwife

TheOfficialPimpwife

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Locationthuggingwidmaboyzxx

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

here for top,gd and rap monster :)

#14 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

nicki is queen

I love Nicki, she's so jokes and her flow is hella nice! But I wouldn't call her queen because her delivery pisses me off sometimes... But that's artistic style I suppose, some people find it endearing! XD

#15 Nekci

Nekci

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

YEAH, I was looking forward to a rapping thread!

#16 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I have a question. How well does Way of Crayon Pop rap in this song? I know that rapping is not her thing, but her rapping is my favorite part of the song. Her rap is at 1:53. 

The vocal tone is actually ideal in terms of how deep it is, the delivery is perfect because it fits the song and the persona, although you can tell that she needs to not speak through her nose (hence the reason why it sounds like she has a cold), the annunciation could be more clear too, but that might be the effects because it is a studio version.

Her flow is my main issue, but it could just be the lyricist, it's very lackluster and boring... Even if it aegyo rap, it needs to be a bit more consistent there are way too many pauses at awkward places too. The rhythmic cadence is constantly disrupted so you couldn't even consider it stop-and-start flow.

Overall though, for a non-rapper, she's okay...

How good is Fort minor and if you don't know them check out the song Right Now, remember the name and the hard way, Kenji.

Fort minor is the guy from Linkin Park

I love Mike Shinoda, his Fort Minor stuff is beast... He's the idea of a complete package as a rapper. His flow is always consistent, his delivery is absolutely spot on and his vocal tone fits the song each time. I think the one flaw is that he has a tendency to put too much emphasis on some words sometimes and it actually goes against his flow but that's sort of rare.

what do you think about Miryo?

Because it's freestyle, I'll cut her some slack on flow... But I guess i don't need to because it's near-perfectly consistent throughout during the freestyle, her delivery (although sometimes muddy) is brilliantly enunciated and the emphasis is placed in the right points, but the emotion is lacking in some places. Her vocal tone is fine some times and messed up in other places, but I guess she's messing around here so I can't fault her on that.

She's very good for an idol rapper and is really close to being the complete package. I think it's more or less just advancing her skills more and being more consistent.

here for top,gd and rap monster :)

Show me some examples first, please :)

#17 Athena

Athena

legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,376 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:02 PM (Edited by Athena, 05 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.)

I don't mean to bother you but what do you think of the girl with a bandana tied up in her hair:

Sorry if the song bugs you. I think her flow is pretty decent but it's her vocal tone that is a bit high-pitched.

Here's another video of her:

#18 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,899 posts
  • LocationWayland

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

The vocal tone is actually ideal in terms of how deep it is, the delivery is perfect because it fits the song and the persona, although you can tell that she needs to not speak through her nose (hence the reason why it sounds like she has a cold), the annunciation could be more clear too, but that might be the effects because it is a studio version.

Her flow is my main issue, but it could just be the lyricist, it's very lackluster and boring... Even if it aegyo rap, it needs to be a bit more consistent there are way too many pauses at awkward places too. The rhythmic cadence is constantly disrupted so you couldn't even consider it stop-and-start flow.

Thank you. 

#19 mnt21

mnt21

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • LocationIn bed

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

I love Mike Shinoda, his Fort Minor stuff is beast... He's the idea of a complete package as a rapper. His flow is always consistent, his delivery is absolutely spot on and his vocal tone fits the song each time. I think the one flaw is that he has a tendency to put too much emphasis on some words sometimes and it actually goes against his flow but that's sort of rare.

Because it's freestyle, I'll cut her some slack on flow... But I guess i don't need to because it's near-perfectly consistent throughout during the freestyle, her delivery (although sometimes muddy) is brilliantly enunciated and the emphasis is placed in the right points, but the emotion is lacking in some places. Her vocal tone is fine some times and messed up in other places, but I guess she's messing around here so I can't fault her on that.

She's very good for an idol rapper and is really close to being the complete package. I think it's more or less just advancing her skills more and being more consistent.

Show me some examples first, please :)

Thank you for your input I really love M. shinoda and his raps because his content is gold and I', happy to hear he's a good rapper.

#20 TheOfficialPimpwife

TheOfficialPimpwife

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Locationthuggingwidmaboyzxx

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:09 PM (Edited by toptabibinguwife, 05 February 2014 - 11:13 PM.)

Show me some examples first, please

gawddd this album was the shit,the best combo ever

Up, Up and Away!