Photo

[inkigeul] Sejeong opens up about using gov't issued voucher cards for hungry children to afford food

sejeong gugudan i.o.i ioi

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chichic✿

chichic✿

(((o(*▽*)o)))

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts
  • Location#winnercity

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:57 AM (Edited by chichic✿, 12 January 2017 - 02:58 AM.)

Sejeong opens up about using gov't issued voucher cards for hungry children to afford food

SJ.jpg

SJ2.jpg

"My family's financial situation was very difficult that we got food voucher cards for hungry children supplied by the government.  During breaks when I wouldn't be able to eat school meals , I would use that card.  In a day, I could only use 3,500 won (~$3.00) so I got jjajangmyeon with it, sometimes if I gathered up coupons, I was able to order it with sweet and sour pork."

Sample voucher cards:
3008940_180.jpg

Newsen via Daum: Gugudan Sejeong "My family struggled financially, used a food voucher card for hungry children"

1. [+2067, -39] Sejeong, I'm proud of you!!! How pretty!!!

2. [+1964, -34] You can be successful... you're qualified to... she's always so bright even while living in those circumstances... You can see how her mother raised her... I'll support you~

3. [+1763, -33] This girl's very bright, be successful

4. [+609, -8] I'm so relieved that she has such a positive, bright personality along with her pretty face, hard work, and talent.  That kind of environment can turn people into troublemakers or make people blame their own parents... I hope and support for you to be a celebrity that only gets love.  I envy and I'm proud of Sejeong's mother who raised her well.

5. [+554, -12] This is nothing to be embarrassed about.  This kind of story doesn't need to be said with tears.  I like that she told her story proudly with a smile.  What's important is the present.  The way you're always bright and respectful is so beautiful.

6. [+522, -8] I didn't know their situation was that difficult.  As a mother myself, I'm supporting her.  Go and be successful.

7. [+524, -13] Walk only a flower path.

8. [+432, -8] The world should be more like this. Don't be embarrassed if you're poor, and don't feel hurt if you're offered free food. We need to change this policy. People should apply more for these things such as the voucher card for hungry children and for broken families. You shouldn't be embarrassed that you're poor, you should confidently accept the help you need and pay back society later when you grow up.

9. [+316, -10] Aigo.. makes my heart hurt.. It's so nice to see her grow up so brightly. To her parents who helped her grow up so prettily and to young Sejeong, please be happy.

10. [+182, -35] Sejeong, you are great. This ahjussi is your fan now. The fact that she doesn't think her past is embarrassing at all and thinks of her difficulties as stepping stones needs to be complimented more. Because she's always filled with smiles and is just overall very positive, I first thought she grew up in an affluent household so I'm surprised. Fighting!

#2 Storm

Storm

Dark Lord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,283 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:02 AM

Probably why she's so good-hearted

#3 moya

moya

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Locationin the sky

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:06 AM (Edited by moya, 12 January 2017 - 03:07 AM.)

Well... Is 3$ really that few? I was getting 0.5$... It was enough for like two rolls. I was never even able to get lunch at school . But I never felt poor. D: 

Anyways... Sejeong fighting. She seems to be really kindhearted. Hopefully Gugudan gets comeback soon.

#4 skyleryum

skyleryum

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

She's younger than me but I can learn a lot from her. She seems so mature and confident. Also, please listen to her OST for Legend of the Blue Sea! 

#5 BasedChungha

BasedChungha

Chungha's prince.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts
  • LocationHolding General Hamster Kim Chungha hands while we munch on seaweed that Xuan Yi offer us.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

Let's continue to walk on the flower road, Sejeong

#6 silverfox

silverfox

Idol

• PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

love her!!!

#7 denizen mars

denizen mars

Lesbian Potato Goddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:20 AM (Edited by denizen mars, 12 January 2017 - 03:21 AM.)

8. [+432, -8] The world should be more like this. Don't be embarrassed if you're poor, and don't feel hurt if you're offered free food. We need to change this policy. People should apply more for these things such as the voucher card for hungry children and for broken families. You shouldn't be embarrassed that you're poor, you should confidently accept the help you need and pay back society later when you grow up.

this is so true though. I have a friend that's struggling and I keep nagging him to apply for food stamps but he seems to be putting it off because he thinks it's not for people like him. But government programs are there to help those in need, for a reason! We pay taxes in order to help those who wouldn't be able to make ends meet otherwise.

#8 nalyd

nalyd

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:28 AM

So inspiring. <3

#9 Mogwai

Mogwai

Saved By Sunmisus

• Oh! Press
  • 10,926 posts
  • Locationhoneymoon with Jongdae

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

Sejeong <3

#10 eXcelsisly

eXcelsisly

MyungJong's Birthchild

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,804 posts
  • LocationGiving away innocence and purity like I am

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

Lets walk a flower path my Sejeong :chu:

#11 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

I was really surprised too when I found out about her family background. From episode 1, she gives off a bright, positive, easy going, and confident impression. She's younger than me but there's a lot I can learn from her about her hard working attitude and positive mindset.

#12 rinamy

rinamy

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Locationhalfway across the Universe

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

this is so true though. I have a friend that's struggling and I keep nagging him to apply for food stamps but he seems to be putting it off because he thinks it's not for people like him. But government programs are there to help those in need, for a reason! We pay taxes in order to help those who wouldn't be able to make ends meet otherwise.

From some incidents I've seen it's really rough because people can be extremely judgmental.  I was in line in front of a guy with a young child (maybe 4-5) who had food stamps and the woman behind him (so 2 behind me) started actually saying stuff to him about how she's paying for his food with her tax money and how he should be working harder instead of relying on other people.  My mouth literally fell open because I couldn't believe that woman's gall.  Me and other people who had overheard told off the stupid B but of course, she's just standing there shaking her head with a superior little smile on her face and I just wanted to smack her.  The cashier was giving her the stink eye but of course, she can't say anything (or she'd probably get fired). The guy told her off too and acted like it didn't bother him that much, but man, that has to be stressful.  

I still get boiled up thinking about that awful woman.  People like that deserve a special spot to burn in hell. 

#13 KINGBANG

KINGBANG

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

So true. It's difficult bcs of pride and peer pressure but really there's nothing shameful to it. Even the poorest people pay taxes in every thing they buy or consume so practically it's just their money again.

#14 AhMei

AhMei

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

This makes me cry :cry:

Sejeong has a bright future ahead. :)

#15 wnr00

wnr00

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationWINNERCITY

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

She is so lovely and humble. An ultimate bias wrecker. I wish you success Sejeongahhhh

#16 Kayden411

Kayden411

Her Hoeliness, Solar's Sidechick and FAP Queen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts
  • LocationIn Jeju, sipping on Solar's mango juice at 2am and writing lyrics after a delicious helping of wagyu beef

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

she seems like such a nice young woman

#17 RenM

RenM

⚜ 𝔊𝔬𝔡 𝔖𝔢𝔧𝔢𝔬𝔫𝔤 ⚜

• PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Her grandparents and mom raise her well, and she grow up splendidly :rlytearpls:

#18 ChaesOneNOnly

ChaesOneNOnly

Idol

• PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationGirl Group Hell

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

Whenever I think of this girl and her struggling childhood it boils my blood thinking about how her dead beat father came back after she became successful.

#19 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Whenever I think of this girl and her struggling childhood it boils my blood thinking about how her dead beat father came back after she became successful.

Actually they came back into contact in her last year of middle school which was maybe 5 years before she debuted. Not that I know anything about what actually happened, but since Sejeong doesn't seem to hold any hatred for her dad, I don't want to assume anything negative about him either.

#20 TT MinSoul

TT MinSoul

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:54 AM

She's so likable and inspiring as a person♥♥

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sejeong, gugudan, i.o.i, ioi

Up, Up and Away!