• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 IceHism

IceHism

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Someone recommend me a high rating / award winning drama in recent years (last 3 years)

#122 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

Outside of the idol-y and young adult type movies there's a lot of crime movies or the weirder or surreal type movies. Those are enjoyable but i wouldn't call them masterpieces. You could check out some of the slice of life drama type movies i guess like Umimachi Diary and Like Father Like Son. Probably don't fit what you're looking for though.

Since you named some chinese movies though, i highly recommend watching the two Red Cliff movies and In The Mood For Love. They are regarded as some of the best chinese movies and are some of my favorite. The Grandmasters might be up there too. 

Fortunately I do love my crime related movies so if you got any recommendations to list them for me. 

#123 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts
  • LocationNever running from a real fight. She's the one named Sailor Moon!

Posted Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Someone recommend me a high rating / award winning drama in recent years (last 3 years)

Tenno no Ryoriban and Tonbi got a lot from what i remember: Or they are highly rated at least. Tonbi is from 2013 but close enough to 3 years. I haven't watched the first one and only watched the first ep of the second so i don't really have an opinion on either of them. 

Fortunately I do love my crime related movies so if you got any recommendations to list them for me. 

These involve crime or yakuza in one way or another:
Confessions
Snow White Murder Case
World of Kanako (Hard for me to say whether this is good or not but it's a dark, twisted experience lol) 
Outrage
Why Don't You Play In Hell?

There's also some good dramas like:
Shokuzai
Ishi no Mayu
Hitorishizuka
Byakuyako

Ouroboros seems pretty popular but it felt a bit too idol-y for me. Just the tone didn't feel quite right. 

Does Mother count as crime? A teacher kidnaps one of her students and raises her. Ok it doesn't count because it's more of a melodrama but it's my favorite drama and i just wanted to take my chance and recommend it  :lol:

#124 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 AM

Tenno no Ryoriban and Tonbi got a lot from what i remember: Or they are highly rated at least. Tonbi is from 2013 but close enough to 3 years. I haven't watched the first one and only watched the first ep of the second so i don't really have an opinion on either of them. 

These involve crime or yakuza in one way or another:
Confessions
Snow White Murder Case
World of Kanako (Hard for me to say whether this is good or not but it's a dark, twisted experience lol) 
Outrage
Why Don't You Play In Hell?

There's also some good dramas like:
Shokuzai
Ishi no Mayu
Hitorishizuka
Byakuyako

Ouroboros seems pretty popular but it felt a bit too idol-y for me. Just the tone didn't feel quite right. 

Does Mother count as crime? A teacher kidnaps one of her students and raises her. Ok it doesn't count because it's more of a melodrama but it's my favorite drama and i just wanted to take my chance and recommend it  :lol:

I loved Ouroboros and enjoyed ishino mayu and the second season which they named something completely different. I quite like the mystery/crime stuff that WOWOW come up with. 

#125 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:10 AM

I loved Ouroboros and enjoyed ishino mayu and the second season which they named something completely different. I quite like the mystery/crime stuff that WOWOW come up with. 

I'm halfway through the second season of Ishi no Mayu. I am enjoying it but i got a little distracted with anime and was watching a lot of Kuroko lol. Also i got annoyed when the other department was keeping stuff from them and not helping each other. That stuff really bothers me in these types of shows. 

#126 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 AM

I'm halfway through the second season of Ishi no Mayu. I am enjoying it but i got a little distracted with anime and was watching a lot of Kuroko lol. Also i got annoyed when the other department was keeping stuff from them and not helping each other. That stuff really bothers me in these types of shows. 

I also hate it when other departments end up being road blocks to each other even in US TV shows this type of petty behaviour/story lines happens so nothing new. Higanbana took this drama troupe to another level though. 

#127 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:26 AM

Any interesting looking dramas for this season btw? i haven't even checked yet since last season has burned me with the lack of subs. Jimi ni Sugoi and Yuusha Yoshihiko 3 still haven't finished being subbed yet. I might wait until dramas are done from now on. 

#128 IceHism

IceHism

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Thanks,

Also have there been any fan favorites or favorites of yours recently? I don't really have a backlog or anything so would be nice to get some more recs.

#129 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM (Edited by Hemlock, Yesterday, 06:31 PM.)

Thanks,

Also have there been any fan favorites or favorites of yours recently? I don't really have a backlog or anything so would be nice to get some more recs.

Stuff from the last couple of years that i liked:

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store. The type of humor in it is definitely not everyone's style but i enjoy it. It's from the same person behind the Yuusha Yoshihiko series, Kids Police, Hentai Kamen, Jossy's, and he's also directing the Gintama LA. If you like those check it out. I also highly recommend checking it out because Matsui Rena is fucking hilarious in it. Best part of the show are her scenes. 

Dear Sister is what got me back into jdramas after being uninterested for a while. I'm also a Satomi fan so i might be biased. 

A Love That Makes You Cry just the tone and feel of this drama had me. It felt serious, sad, and heavy but not really melodramatic. I can't really explain it. 

Ishi no Mayu (a sequel came out this last year under the name Suisho no Kodo too) I'm a fan of crime dramas and movies but dislike the episodic stuff that japan seems to love. So this was good because it's one case. 

Good Morning Call can be fun if you like older cheesy romcoms like ItaKiss. 

Koinaka i think others don't like as much but stories about best friends who secretly like each other are my weakness so i enjoyed it. Also Honda Tsubasa is in it so i might be biased again here. 

Transit Girls is about two girls who become stepsisters and fall in love. Not anything amazing but it's different for being about a same-sex relationship and was good enough. 

Then these are stuff i've started and liked but haven't finished. They seem well liked though: 

Juhan Shuttai

Nobunaga Concerto

Thunderbolt Fantasy (idk what category this falls under but i'll add it as a drama)

#130 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:14 PM

I second ishi no may and it's sequel suisho no kodo

recent favourites of mine are:

cold case: shin jitsu no tobira

family's form

hippocratic oath

Ouroboros

rinsho hanzai gakusha himura hideo no suiri

tantei no tantei

#131 IceHism

IceHism

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 PM (Edited by IceHism, Yesterday, 08:03 PM.)

Thanks for all the recs. Some of them sound very interesting already. Especially the matsui Rena one. Always liked her since she did gekikara.

I put thunderbolt fantasy under anime because of gen urobuchi but it's just told through Taiwanese puppet medium instead :p. Already seen it though xd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jdrama

Up, Up and Away!