• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Onew's Lotus

Onew's Lotus

SHINee ♥ DBSK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationSHINee World

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:34 PM (Edited by Onew's Lotus, 22 April 2016 - 07:35 PM.)

I go to these sites for scholarship offers:

http://www.fastweb.com/

https://www.cappex.com/

The Barrons book for the AP Psychology test is great. The questions there are very similar to the actual AP test. :)

#22 ecas

ecas

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Location<3

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

tbh you should take as many classes regarding your major before college, because college classes are way harder than high school classes simply because 1) not as much interaction with the teacher 2) no homework every day/often, which makes it harder to learn the material and 3) no retakes, exams are worth so much of your grade so the lack of retakes makes it difficult to do well if you have lots of exams together.

^ I agree, Barrons book for Psychology was really good.

#23 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location42 Wallaby Way Sydney, AU

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Sorry this took too long. I was trying to type this all up.

I applied to 13 schools. Most seemed out of reach for me and my guidance counselor even said so but lol in the end its your decision. What I went through and where I'm going in green:

Spoiler

How are your grades during the 3 years so far? Have you improved your GPA or made it worse? They'll look for patterns.

If your schools curriculum or grading system is weird, they'll take into account what is available at your school. So if you don't have APs, they won't penalize you for it and so on. Just get high grades in the hard classes. Some schools might re-do your GPA (for example to take out gym class) so it may look different to them. 

Reowned school or not, you have to do well to get good job prospects and graduate school placement. Like people say its not where you go, its what you do those 4 years.

more like two haha

it's not bad but obvi could be better

freshman year: all A's except for math (88 both semesters, acc geom)

sophomore year: all A's except english and math (rn 86 in english, 83 in english)

i do well on the tests in english (last one i got a 97), but i just rly can't be fucked with reading so >.>

math is just hard bc it goes by such a quick pace and my teacher likes to go on about the backstories of how formulas were created...

pretty much worse...

:rlytearpls:

last semester i got an 83 naturally in apwh bc of this dbq i failed so badly + other county exam that required writing. dropped from an 89 > 86 > 82 and only got up a point bc of the final ;___;

now i have a 90 (dropped again 2 pts bc of test..)

gpa: 3.75

haven't even taken sat or act, but i got a 1000 on psat for the new version im pretty sure

agh idk ik i shouldnt base grades off of having all A's but i want a rly high gpa and just go to a good college

plus i have a dbq to do that's due this monday

can you help revise it when im done pls

#24 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationSeibu's Church

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

more like two haha

it's not bad but obvi could be better

freshman year: all A's except for math (88 both semesters, acc geom)

sophomore year: all A's except english and math (rn 86 in english, 83 in english)

i do well on the tests in english (last one i got a 97), but i just rly can't be fucked with reading so >.>

math is just hard bc it goes by such a quick pace and my teacher likes to go on about the backstories of how formulas were created...

pretty much worse...

last semester i got an 83 naturally in apwh bc of this dbq i failed so badly + other county exam that required writing. dropped from an 89 > 86 > 82 and only got up a point bc of the final ;___;

now i have a 90 (dropped again 2 pts bc of test..)

gpa: 3.75

haven't even taken sat or act, but i got a 1000 on psat for the new version im pretty sure

agh idk ik i shouldnt base grades off of having all A's but i want a rly high gpa and just go to a good college

plus i have a dbq to do that's due this monday

can you help revise it when im done pls

What schools are you interested in right now? If its ivy leagues, your GPA isn't so bad but could be better if you raise those classes to an A by the end of this year. Class rank looks like your in the top 25%.

A 100 on a 160 psat seems pretty average. When are you planning to take the tests? Do you qualify for fee waivers? I would honestly try both the SAT & ACT practice tests (you can find tons of practice tests online for the ACT, not sure about the new SAT) and see which one your most comfortable with taking for real.

A useful website that has all of their stats (GPA, SAT/ACT, crime rate, etc.) is collegenavigator. Does your school use Naviance? If so you could check if your GPA and test scores are in line with the students who were accepted from the same school as you.

The world history test changed this year so I'm not sure if they changed their DBQ rubric too, but I can try to help you edit it by looking back at my old DBQs saved on Google Drive.

#25 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location42 Wallaby Way Sydney, AU

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

What schools are you interested in right now? If its ivy leagues, your GPA isn't so bad but could be better if you raise those classes to an A by the end of this year. Class rank looks like your in the top 25%.

A 100 on a 160 psat seems pretty average. When are you planning to take the tests? Do you qualify for fee waivers? I would honestly try both the SAT & ACT practice tests (you can find tons of practice tests online for the ACT, not sure about the new SAT) and see which one your most comfortable with taking for real.

A useful website that has all of their stats (GPA, SAT/ACT, crime rate, etc.) is collegenavigator. Does your school use Naviance? If so you could check if your GPA and test scores are in line with the students who were accepted from the same school as you.

The world history test changed this year so I'm not sure if they changed their DBQ rubric too, but I can try to help you edit it by looking back at my old DBQs saved on Google Drive.

prob during the summer

i took the psat for free at my school

i dont think so. ive never heard of that before.

oH REALLY??

THANK YOU

ill send you the link when im done, though i think it'll take me awhile >.>

#26 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationSeibu's Church

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

prob during the summer

i took the psat for free at my school

i dont think so. ive never heard of that before.

oH REALLY??

THANK YOU

ill send you the link when im done, though i think it'll take me awhile >.>

Kk yw

#27 Allegra

Allegra

소중한 네티즌 ♥

• PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:06 AM (Edited by Allegra, 25 April 2016 - 10:07 AM.)

I'm in my second year at university in the UK studying Maths, if anyone wants tips on studying Mathematics/UCAS (UK application system), feel free to ask me. I'm currently at Imperial College London so any questions regarding that are welcome as well.

#28 Unit

Unit

✿Park to the Cho to the Rong✿

• PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:22 PM

Always have at least one safety school. I'd suggest putting down a CC cause you will most likely be accepted. You also want some schools you think you can get into. Schools you want as reach are not really necessary but you can still try. Just don't be that kid who puts all Ivy schools.

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THE COLLEGE PROCESS! My friend just started caring about college now and he's so screwed.

• Keep track of dates.
  • Don't be scared to call school offices for help. You'll only make things worse by guessing at it.

PS: I just finished the college process as well so if you need help PM me. (I'm from NYS so I know more about that than other states.)

#29 93_L

93_L

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationKpop fangirl world

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:34 AM (Edited by 93_L, 26 April 2016 - 11:52 AM.)

Ways to make friends

For first year students, you're usually required to stay in the dorm and roommates are pretty much your first new friends there. I'd say try to get along with your roommates as much as you can and get to know your course mates too. During my first week in university (orientation week), I pretty much stick with my roommates since I don't know anyone else there. But after class started, I managed to make new friends and few of them remained close to me till now (I'm a 4th year majoring in Analytical Chemistry btw).

In university, there are many clubs that you can join and perhaps you can find other new friends with same interests there. As for those cliques, I've seen them a lot and by the final year, they started to drift apart and talk behind each other backs  :unimpressed:
I don't know about others but I learnt that in the end, you don't need too many friends, just few close ones that will always be there for you makes all the difference 

#30 sublime

sublime

·ᴗ·

• PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

I wish I had something like this before I entered uni  :rlytearpls:

#31 Acey

Acey

Buddy

• PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationPH

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

I don't really know where to post this and I think making a thread won't be necessary haha but

How to incorporate engineering with music?

Spoiler

#32 cessita

cessita

Idol

• PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Locationfar away so far away far away so far away

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

I don't really know where to post this and I think making a thread won't be necessary haha but

How to incorporate engineering with music?

Spoiler

Hello, I'm an Engineering student too (Mechatronics major). What do you have in mind? All I can think of since you're an electronics major is instrumentation. Maybe you can develop some new kind of headphones? 

#33 exoticinspirit

exoticinspirit

Maryan's Soulmate

• PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationIn Sehun's pocket

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

hihihi

I just got into an early college program (the interviews for that were brutal, but hopefully it will be worth it).

So I haven't taken the new SAT, but I took the old one twice and all I have to say is Hack the SAT by Elliot Schrefer is the best book out there. Also take lots of practice tests they help a lot!

Added note: If you're like me and miss not having to take a TSI or the like it's really not that hard. I was worried, but I got all of the reading and most of the writing right. My lowest was math and I still passed with flying colors.

One more word of advice. My hs spanish teacher told my class when I was a freshman that we need to write down any activities or community service or clubs or awards or anything that happened while we were in hs because you're trying to sell yourself to colleges. THIS IS NOT A JOKE! WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! I didn't do so and I struggled to remember the 2 years I was there (I'm positive I was still missing things), I'd have killed myself with 4. 

#34 sha_y

sha_y

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

The Best Methods in Studying 

This will all be pretty repetitive but do NOT put it off to the last minute. I'm in nursing school and a memorization technique that helps me is (1) take good notes in class/listen (2) go home and do the required reading in text, then re-organize lecture notes and combine with text notes (3) make a good comprehensive study guide (4) at least 3-4 days before exams, sometimes a few more days ahead, start reading the study guide over daily and highlight or cross out the stuff you memorized along the way. Eventually everything will be highlighted/crossed out and you'll know EVERYTHING :D

Also if you can, do a lot of practice exams, practice questions, etc. anything you can get your hands on.

- Ways to Make Friends 

Be outgoing. Explore different interests. Be it Greek life, the cooking/anime club, an Asian interest group, intramural sports. Also leave your dorm room, I cannot stress this enough - go to other rooms down the hall, leave your building and just randomly say hi to people. As a freshmen, meeting other freshmen is your best opportunity to make friends.

- SAT Help 

Lots of practice and review of basic grammar. For math, I think Dr. Chung's was the best for practice.

Also I'm a nursing major (1 more year) so if anyone is interested in going into this field/career path, feel free to ask me anything:)

#35 oye123

oye123

Snail❤Hamtaro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Location(ง •̀_•́)ง

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:33 PM (Edited by oye123, 07 August 2016 - 03:37 PM.)

does anyone want links to playlists on youtube to some courses/classes? 

(i can vouch for its good content)

i m not sure if they are used in college though

#36 SmartEnuff2BringALifeVest

SmartEnuff2BringALifeVest

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationStop.Asking

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

This advice may appear to be common sense or self-evident, however, after observing so many students make the same destructive mistake again and again, I would like to say: DO NOT leave negative opinions about a professor or school on your personal social media site, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., if you are still in the University or program. If you can be identified, you probably will and the comment(s) will follow you and can sabotage your future. 

#37 ✧ Poppi ✧

✧ Poppi ✧

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Locationnowhere in particular

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

1) If you live in the US, make sure you pay attention to FAFSA dates because they can vary depending on where you live. Don't wait til the last minute, ESPECIALLY because there's a chance that you need to make changes and fix mistakes that will make the process so much longer and more frustrating if you don't give yourself plenty of time. 

2) Common sense: Yes, you can skip class sometimes. And especially if it's a class that doesn't take attendance it can be REALLY tempting. But just because you can doesn't mean you always should. I've screwed myself over by skipping one too many times and doing poorly on tests. An occasional skipping of class if you don't feel well or if you need to do something for another class once and awhile won't completely kill you, but don't make skipping a habit. College has a lot more freedom but you have to control it properly.

#38 130moodtrbl

130moodtrbl

Idol

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

The Best Methods in Studying

This will all be pretty repetitive but do NOT put it off to the last minute. I'm in nursing school and a memorization technique that helps me is (1) take good notes in class/listen (2) go home and do the required reading in text, then re-organize lecture notes and combine with text notes (3) make a good comprehensive study guide (4) at least 3-4 days before exams, sometimes a few more days ahead, start reading the study guide over daily and highlight or cross out the stuff you memorized along the way. Eventually everything will be highlighted/crossed out and you'll know EVERYTHING :D

Also if you can, do a lot of practice exams, practice questions, etc. anything you can get your hands on.

- Ways to Make Friends

Be outgoing. Explore different interests. Be it Greek life, the cooking/anime club, an Asian interest group, intramural sports. Also leave your dorm room, I cannot stress this enough - go to other rooms down the hall, leave your building and just randomly say hi to people. As a freshmen, meeting other freshmen is your best opportunity to make friends.

- SAT Help

Lots of practice and review of basic grammar. For math, I think Dr. Chung's was the best for practice.

Also I'm a nursing major (1 more year) so if anyone is interested in going into this field/career path, feel free to ask me anything:)

did you have any medical or health related community service in high school? is it more preferred or will it hurt you if you don't any experience?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: college

Up, Up and Away!