• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Location42 Wallaby Way Sydney, AU

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:55 PM (Edited by metaphorical penis, 23 April 2016 - 04:40 PM.)

college.jpg

---

To many, college is just down the road and is stressing in comparison to the little worries that they have previously had in their younger schooling life. Show what you know and have experienced, and stop these new college students from messing up too badly!

While I and many others are not in college, many of us want to know the feel of college, how it is, how to interact with others, etc., things that are something we have to consider for our whole highschool career. Give us the best advice you feel is necessary/important!

:dave:

Some Recommended Advice Examples:

- The Best Methods in Studying

- Ways to Make Friends

- What Scholarships You Should Apply To

- SAT Help

- Etc.

- Good Scholarship Websites -

https://www.scholarships.com/

http://www.collegescholarships.org/

https://www.unigo.com/

https://colleges.niche.com/

http://www.fastweb.com/

*add any other websites you think that are helpful!

- Race Specific Scholarships -

1. Asian

Spoiler

2. White

Spoiler

3. Black/African-American

Spoiler

4. Hispanic/Latino

Spoiler

5. Middle Eastern

Spoiler

6. All

Spoiler

**IT WOULD HELP IF YOU COULD LINK SPECIFIC SCHOLARSHIPS AS WELL!**

- Best AP/SAT/ACT Review Books -

Art History:

Biology:

Calculus AB: Barrons

Calculus BC: Barrons

Chemistry:

Chinese Language and Culture:

Computer Science A:

Macroeconomics:

Microeconomics:

English Language and Composition:

English Literature and Composition:

Environmental Science:

European History:

French Language and Culture:

German Language and Culture:

Government and Politics - Comparative:

Government and Politics - US:

Human Geography:

Italian Language and Culture:

Japanese Language and Culture:

Latin:

Music Theory:

Physics 1:

Physics 2:

Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism:

Physics C: Mechanics:

Psychology: Barrons

Spanish Language:

Spanish Literature:

Statistics:

Studio Art Drawing:

Studio Art 2D Design:

Studio Art 3D Design:

US History: AMSCO

World History: Princeton Review

ACT: Red Book

SAT:

- OHer Tips and Tricks -

befriend your professor

grades do matter

**any feedback is welcome!!!

#2 miaissocoollike

miaissocoollike

Noticed by Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationLalaland

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

I got my degree three years ago, do I still qualify  :derp:

#3 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

I got my degree three years ago, do I still qualify  :derp:

yes!

all advice is welcome

as well as what scholarships you applied for, clubs you joined, etc.

#4 jooyoungsbae

jooyoungsbae

♔jooyoung's publicist♔

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts
  • Locationkeep asking me things @ ask.fm/jooyoungsbae

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:01 PM (Edited by jooyoungsbae, 21 April 2016 - 09:02 PM.)

for ap us history use the AMSCO united tates history preparing for the advanced placement examination book

for calculus i think barrons is best bc barrons tends to be harder than the actual test

#5 miaissocoollike

miaissocoollike

Noticed by Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationLalaland

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

yes!

all advice is welcome

as well as what scholarships you applied for, clubs you joined, etc.

Okay, then. I'll get on with it!

I graduated with a degree in Mass Communication, though the course has been dissolved now and renamed as just communication. Not to boast, I graduated With Distinction, which means if I did a lot better I could've gotten a 'laude' honor. I didn't because my terror TV production professor gave me a low mark (he's really terrifying, like the boss on cake boss or that dude on hell's kitchen).

Anyway, people say that where you graduated and grades don't matter, but in reality it's what gets you the job. I don't want to make this any longer. If you have questions, feel free to ask

#6 Junhoes_hoe

Junhoes_hoe

✰ ☾ ✰

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • LocationAt Cold Stone Creamery with Taylor Hill

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

Aww, this is a good thread!

#7 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 13,344 posts
  • LocationSeibu's Church

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:04 PM (Edited by Ron Swanson, 21 April 2016 - 09:18 PM.)

HS Senior and College bound here (yes I'm in high school). Any U.S. HS kids yet to apply can ask me about college process because I got 100% done with it (mentally done too) after Christmas. I'm open to share where I applied, my scores, what I did for ECs, etc.. I decided where I'm going last month so :)

Took AP WH last year, Princeton Review is the best. I saw you had it down so thats good. 

For AP prep books, I heard for some subjects CliffNotes = Princeton >> Barrons

SAT: I didn't take the revised SAT so I can't help on that. For the math section its good if you know the math, but if you're really lazy you can try downloading the programs for certain subjects. This applies to the ACT too.

ACT: Just buy the official red book, don't get the 2016 version because its literally same thing as the 2011 one. I bought the 2011 one and has improved my scores. Don't skip questions because they don't deduct points for incorrect choices. 

SAT Subject: I wasted money on getting the Barron's book for Biology. Honestly don't buy a prep book if you aren't willing to concentrate and study a lot from it. I slacked off and it showed in my subject scores.

General scholarships: 

Gates Millennium Scholarship (10 essays you have to write btw)

Niche No Essay (Its legit lol) 

Asian:

APIASF 

#8 miaissocoollike

miaissocoollike

Noticed by Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts
  • LocationLalaland

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

In the Philippines some of the best schools include University of the Philippines, Ateneo De Manila, De La Salle University, and University of Sto Thomas. I was supposed to go to the latter but somehow my parents decided to enroll me somewhere near where we live. I ended up going to St. Joseph's College.

Getting in University of the Philippines is like entering University of Tokyo, not that the educational system is the same, but basically it translates to landing a job as soon as you graduate. Like, if your resume has UP in it, you'll get shortlisted right away

#9 bluesclues

bluesclues

海千山千

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

Not too sure about what they use for AP now, but I took them maybe 6-7 years ago (?), used Princeton.

Graduated university last year with honors as a Biology major and Art History minor and am currently enrolled in a Master's Program. 

I think the main focuses anyone should have coming into university are:

1. Be on top of your grades. Do not procrastinate. You may be able to get by with it but in the long run it is in your best interest to fix bad study/work habits.
  2. Network. Be it with your professors (Ask them questions and if you know all the answers already, ask them anyway. It boosts their ego and makes them think more positively of you and it'll help down the road if you need recommendation letters) and with your peers (Join a club you're interested in, it could be whatever. Get a leadership position if possible.)
  3. Never leave your drink unattended or take a drink that hasn't been made in front of you.

If anyone has questions, feel free to quote.

#10 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

HS Senior and College bound here (yes I'm in high school). Any U.S. HS kids yet to apply can ask me about college process because I got 200% done with it after Christmas. I'm open to share where I applied, my scores, what I did for ECs, etc.. I decided where I'm going last month so :)

Took AP WH last year, Princeton Review is the best. I saw you had it down so thats good. 

For AP prep books, I heard for some subjects CliffNotes = Princeton >> Barrons

ACT: Just buy the official red book, don't get the 2016 version because its literally same thing as the 2011 one. I bought the 2011 one and has improved my scores. 

SAT Subject: I wasted money on getting the Barron's book for Biology. Honestly don't buy a prep book if you aren't willing to concentrate and study a lot from it. I slacked off and it showed in my subject scores.

General scholarships: 

Gates Millennium Scholarship (10 essays you have to write btw)

Niche No Essay (Its legit lol) 

Asian:

APIASF 

thank you!

so when you applied for your colleges, did you get into the rly good ones?

bc im worried about my grades in math

i take the harder classes... but the way it's done is just weird in my school or smth and i have like a b

rn i have a low b, including a low b last semester (precalc)

like i don't want a community college, but i want to go to a renowned school ya know

not those unis that are just okay

#11 Loser

Loser

Forever Alone

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:16 PM (Edited by Loser, 21 April 2016 - 09:17 PM.)

I'm about to graduate. Can I Join?

I will share my senioritis laden advice

Best Advice?

Paper and pencil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Technology for notetaking

This coming from a technology major

#12 Miyeon

Miyeon

ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʀɪɢɪɴᴀʟ ʙᴀᴇ 💕

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,674 posts
  • Locationfar up in taemins ass #sǫᴜᴀᴅsʜɪᴛ .。*∙°♡

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

:o thanks for the scholarship recs

#13 pryzilla

pryzilla

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:24 PM (Edited by pryzilla, 21 April 2016 - 09:26 PM.)

Best resource for scholarships are always the financial aid office and department admin of whatever school you're applying to, especially for major and subject scholarships. FA can also steer you in the direction of honors colleges/programs that sometimes come with scholarships, free or subsidized housing, etc. 

If you're a sophomore or junior and have some time, talk to a counselor or teacher you trust about your school's prestige and reputation. If you go to a school that doesn't have a good rep for being rigorous, you want to make your grades as high as possible because admissions might mentally knock a few tenths off your GPA comparing you to students from different HS. A B in one school isn't the same as a B in another.

#14 αweғυl

αweғυl

★彡

• PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

ahh im crying im gonna need this info in less than a year ;__; ill try to add what i can

#15 Jon Snow

Jon Snow

엠버야오늘도사랑해

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,515 posts
  • LocationFuck TSM is my trash #squadshit

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:28 PM (Edited by Jon Snow, 21 April 2016 - 09:29 PM.)

If you live in NYS... barrons for the regents!

edit: advice for incoming uni freshman... take pre recs first dont take major classes bc you may want to change you major but then you realize you ended up taking like 5 classes for nothing

#16 Hexion

Hexion

Crayons and Lighter Fluid

• Oh! Press
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationAt my charging station, plugged in next to SM's ExoBots™

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

For Americans that want to study abroad in high school for a very low cost, I highly recommend the NSLI-Y program. It's competitive to get into but one of the best experiences of my life, and studying abroad looks great on college apps and scholarships apps if you do it before senior year. 

Here's the link: http://www.nsliforyouth.org

But I think that anyone even slightly interested in studying abroad before college should search for those opportunities because it really is a life changing experience and could influence which career/major you choose to pursue. 

Also, just some general advice: don't slack off senior year. People may tell you its the easiest year of high school, but I found it the most difficult because you have to keep up with so many different applications, grades, and clubs (leadership positions too, since you are an upperclassman). Try to stay motivated and think of the bigger picture. 

#17 metaphorical penis

metaphorical penis

f(♥)

• PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

I'm about to graduate. Can I Join?

I will share my senioritis laden advice

Best Advice?

Paper and pencil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Technology for notetaking

This coming from a technology major

do your profs typically upload lecture powerpoints? or you just hope for the best that you paid attention? 

:lol:

#18 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 13,344 posts
  • LocationSeibu's Church

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:43 PM (Edited by Ron Swanson, 21 April 2016 - 10:03 PM.)

thank you!

so when you applied for your colleges, did you get into the rly good ones?

bc im worried about my grades in math

i take the harder classes... but the way it's done is just weird in my school or smth and i have like a b

rn i have a low b, including a low b last semester (precalc)

like i don't want a community college, but i want to go to a renowned school ya know

not those unis that are just okay

Sorry this took too long. I was trying to type this all up.

I applied to 13 schools. Most seemed out of reach for me and my guidance counselor even said so but lol in the end its your decision. What I went through and where I'm going in green:

Spoiler

How are your grades during the 3 years so far? Have you improved your GPA or made it worse? They'll look for patterns.

If your schools curriculum or grading system is weird, they'll take into account what is available at your school. So if you don't have APs, they won't penalize you for it and so on. Just get high grades in the hard classes. Some schools might re-do your GPA (for example to take out gym class) so it may look different to them. 

Reowned school or not, you have to do well to get good job prospects and graduate school placement. Like people say its not where you go, its what you do those 4 years.

#19 Loser

Loser

Forever Alone

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

do your profs typically upload lecture powerpoints? or you just hope for the best that you paid attention? 

:lol:

If they upload beforehand you can print them out and write notes on them. I even have handwritten code from my programming class lmao.

But overall you learn more by handwriting note and laptops/tablets are super distracting. My uni has a notes sharing site from either current or past semester (still the same material) too and there's always quizlet if really feel like you're missing something.

#20 cherrrypie

cherrrypie

Idol

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

Current law school student in the United States, which is a bit different from most people who are in college or doing graduate degrees. If anyone has questions about law school in the United States (and also Canada, UK and Australia which I researched when applying), send them my way

Also graduated college in 2015 so happy to share anything about that or the application process

I just wanted to add YES to Barron's for AP Calc - helped me so much lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: college

Up, Up and Away!