Photo

Japanese netizens on why KPop is on the decline in Japan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
175 replies to this topic

#1 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

ANTICHRIST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,046 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

What happened? 
30.jpg

It kinda feels like their existence will be terminated from history at this rate

I believe that K-Pop's roots can be traced back to when Namie Amuro left such a huge impression when she performed in Korea, and everyone just tried to copy her. But when they started coming to Japan, their style was a bit different already from what was the trend here where the likes of Perfume, AKB, and MomoClo are the ones that are popular.

I don't know anyone other than KARA and Girls Generation

Their girl groups were battered by AKB, finished off by MomoClo, and then E-girls just took all of their fans away.
31.jpg

That's exactly how it felt

They just used money and paid the whole world to give them exposure.

No money, no honey.

They're under Japanese record labels, produced by Japanese producers, their songs made by Japanese composers, and dances choreographed by the Japanese too, but they're called K-Pop.

Well, it seems like they are about to be expelled from Japan but it also looks like Japan will be expelled from the whole of Asia.

Was J-Pop even that popular in Asia to begin with?

The way all the Yoshimoto talents praised KARA and Girls Generation at one point was horrible.

It was probably a business order and that was their job, but they all just lacked ethics.

32.jpg

Even MAX was better when it came to singing and dancing 
33.jpg

They're all copycats with zero originality so they were probably at their limit

Fuji TV hyped them too much and, as a result, are also taking the damage.
34.jpg

Nowadays, I think their songs are just being played in Shin Okubo's railroad station LOL

I think it's foolish of them to think that they're still at the top despite their dramas and their music lagging behind the times

Similar faces, similar dancing.

Of course people will get tired of them.

I think that the male groups are still popular.

It might be impossible for the girl groups though.
I still see them on TV but I don't feel anything anymore towards them.
It seems that there are still some radio stations though that are still pushing for them.

Do you guys only watch TV? They're filling up domes, you know. 

35.jpg
     Weren't they busted for photoshopping the audience?
      Didn't you read the excuse, err, the apology that they gave for that bad photoshop?

Even ICONIQ disappeared in the blink of an eye 
36.jpg

I think they've already planted their roots and are still here, it's just that they haven't been going all out in promoting anymore

Because their ace is this disgusting old pig LOL 
37.jpg

The group members just don't seem to have any individualism.
The K-pop boom might have been able to continue if they had at least one  artistwho was like Namie Amuro.

38.jpg

They probably lost fundings now that they have a different president

Up until a while back, all these Japanese talents kept saying "Korea this, Korea that", then it all just came to a halt.

Now, they're all saying "MomoClo this, MomoClo that".

I'd understand AKB, but I don't think Stardust has that kind of authority. There must be something going on back there.

I heard that K-Pop is declining even in Korea

If you don't like them, don't listen to them

I don't see anything wrong with K-Pop leaving Japan while other Asian countries are still welcoming them. They'll probably go away from those countries too in 2 years' time. Then maybe they'll go to Africa next.

Even the people who used to scream and go wild 2 years ago whenever they'd hear the word 'Korea' are saying "Oh Korean? No thanks..." nowadays. I seriously want to gather them up and tell them "See?"

80% of their global sales are from Japan? So will they even survive if they're not appreciated in Japan anymore?

Johnny's wasn't able to prevent the male groups from invading Japan. That's why they're still here.

Burning Publishers owns the rights to K-Pop so that was an impossible task for them. They're more powerful than Johnny's.

They only have about 3 different facial patterns

39.jpg

A lot of different groups debuted in Japan 2 years ago. It looks like there's none left, huh?
     I only remember up to T-ARA. But it's only Girl's Generation and KARA who have left an impression.

Doesn't Korea have any bands or mixed male and female groups?

I only see dancers coming out of them.

I think they were also planning to market a Korean band, but it would have been impossible since even the Japanese bands aren't that popular. 

These groups don't have any distinct characteristics. All their songs are also pretty similar.

I kinda liked BOA during her time here though.

I heard that she did some anti-Japan stuff when she went back there so it's impossible for me to like her now. 

40.jpg

#2 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

ANTICHRIST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,046 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

True, all these celebrities just started chanting MomoClo these days, replacing how they used to talk about K-Pop.

I actually liked them before they came to Japan.

I started from Kilots, though.
Girls Generation's first album was amazing.
For KARA, "Pretty Girl" is the best.
41.jpg

Is it true that the talents earned JPY 5,000 for each time they mentioned the name of Girls Generation on TV?

They disappeared all at once from the morning TV shows

Now, it's almost as if BIG BANG is the only strong one left.

You can't take the fangirls of that group lightly.42.jpg

But WOWOW is going to broadcast Girls Generation's concert and has been promoting them, so they're still popular to some extent.

I think one of the reasons why the K-Pop idols aren't popular is because of the long training period. That's why they don't have young 14~16 year olds, which I think is the reason why they haven't clicked here.

I know more of the songs from the female units, but for some reason, the male units are the ones doing well.

That's really a mystery. I honestly can't sing a single male unit song.

Because the only male units that we have are Johnny's and these K-POP groups

I heard that fangirls don't leave that easily once they cling on 

Am I the only one who thinks that they shouldn't come to Japan and sell their products if they hate Japan that much?

Seriously, this is how they think:

"Korea's showbiz industry are refined, first-rate talents. In contrast, Japan's showbiz industry is full of inexperienced and unskilled talents. That is why we are here to teach you how things are supposed to be done."

KARA and T-ARA have a few cute ones, but they're basically the "cool" type.

Japan likes the lolita-looking ones, though. 43.jpg

But K-Pop is far more popular in Southeast Asia compared to J-Pop. The K-Pop singers and groups all go there, perform concerts, appear on TV, and promote their stuff a lot so the local citizens there think that these people can easily be reached. There's no helping it if you compare one that comes a lot from the other that doesn't come at all.

Country boundaries are irrelevant when it comes to songs and dramas. The good ones are still good, while the bad ones are still bad. There are times when their talents sing better songs than AKB.

LOLing at how PSY is being blatantly ignored in Japan.

People here are only after the ones who have good looks.44.jpg

I do find it amazing as to how some of these K-POP singers even learn to speak Japanese to a certain extent.
Even if they're just doing it for business to earn money.

Whenever I see their nice dancing, I do understand that they must have practiced hard to be able to do that.

But I don't feel anything more than that.

Well, Girls Generation and KARA did have some impact when they first appeared, but then everything that came afterwards was just too similar.

I think Girls Generation who made Japan a stepping stone but flopped in the US will disband soon.

KARA on the other hand are only plying their trade in Japan so they might stick around a bit longer.

Girls Generation's 1st album was pretty good.

It was like a modern remake of speed's "Starting Over".45.jpg

Boa's recent live singing

This is amazing for a solo artist

I think it's good but I really can't support her anymore.

The old BoA is the only BoA I know.

I don't care if they remain active in Japan, but I got disgusted when I heard some say, "We became popular when we did that disaster benefit concert, so I hope there will be another disaster".

I like BoA because she can sing and dance.

She's also a very good ballad singer.

No thanks

I think people started hating them because they just grew too much in number. They also kept proclaiming how Korea is superior to Japan.

#3 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

ANTICHRIST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,046 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

Comments on the comments from other netizens:

J-pop, or even j-music are not popular cause of their record company and japan strict policy when it comes to copyrights.
You can get many korean music and variety shows online but the same thing cannot be said for japanese music/variety shows. Only recently than we have some j-artist on youtube and even than, not many of their stuff are uploaded on their accounts. Fans who uploaded their stuff will get a strike from youtube.
Ease a bit on the copyrights law and upload your stuff on youtube to get a wider audience. E-girls mv hit 10m views recently and one ok rock has many of it's mv hits 10m easy.
It may not seems many compared to k-pop mv but still, they are gaining fans outside japan.

"I heard that fangirls don't leave that easily once they cling on "

HAHA!

lots of rational comments and individualistic opinions, was interesting. kpop, jpop, pop is pop no matter where, if u cant make the sales, it doesnt matter how good or bad it is, its a total product and like someone said country borders are irrelevant.

I can never get into KPOP because of its obsessive, cliquish, obnoxious and cult-like fanbases. It just creeps me out. I'm glad their popularity is declining, same can be said in my country.

I used to like Kpop around 2006 to 2009, then I stop because too many people are obsessing over it.What hit me the most is too many fanwars going on everywhere and I got sick of it all.

I listen to both K-Pop and J-Pop and really...they're really different. But honestly, I WANT to see K-Pop declining faster than it currently does. It's declining in Japan already and also slowly in Korea. I'm fed up to see so fucking many rookies debuting. I just want the hype to cool down and only the most important groups surviving. And also, I want to see how they will survive without the money Japan provides. 

I'm pretty sure that popularity-wise, J-Pop has a lot of potential. But I understand why Japanese labels don't want to go abroad. If you earn enough money in the local market, why would you risk to lose money and popularity in Japan while going abroad ? Why risking to lose all that when you also have the risk to fail ? It kind of reassures me that Japanese acts don't go abroad, it means that they don't need it. 

K-Pop needs Japan's money because they spend to much money and because the CD prices are cheap in Korea. I don't think it will change, therefore K-Pop is a sinking ship because of their decline in Japan. They were just a phenomenon. But they are just a phenomenon among middle schooler in Korea too, so I just can't wait to see the K-Pop scene change. They're all made according to the same mold and if they want to gather fans/want fans to stay fans they'll have to innovate. Or to disappear.
And as a Namie Amazing fan, I LOVE THEIR PRAISES FOR HER <3 
And I didn't know that E-GIRLS were that famous ooo I'm happy for them ! :)

If you think J-pop doesn't need to go abroad then what are Perfume, Kyra Pamyu Pamyu, One OK Rock, L'Arc-en-Ciel, B'z doing holding concerts overseas? I just hate the stupidity and arrogance of J-pop fans sometimes. What do you think the "Cool Japan" that Japanese government is trying so hard to push for right now? 
Keep on being ignorant J-pop fans...

These are exactly the salty obsessive Kpoppers that turn me off.
All they are saying is that Japan's music industry can stand on its own. Even if the don't promote abroad they can survive through CD sales and concert tours within Japan. Of course promoting abroad could be lucrative but they also run the risk of being forgotten in their main market in doing so.
I don't see what's so offensive in his/her post I thought she made a good point.
Honestly you're the one who sound misinformed.

No but seriously, were any K-pop groups other than SJJD and Kara (and BoA/Tohoshinki but they were a bit before the Hallyu bubble in Japan so I don't count them) ever just a little popular among the Japanese general public? Every other K-Pop group dropped a single or two then went back to Korea after they didn't make as much money as they wanted to.

Even though K-pop's popularity may be on the decline in Japan, this seems to be mostly talking from the general public's POV, rather than the fanbases/niche market for K-pop in Japan. 
I doubt K-pop companies care that much about establishing themselves and popularizing themselves for the general public. Rather, they only care about money so what's more important for them is to build a decent-sized fanbase in Japan to sell CDs because unlike in Korea (where digital-sales based on public support do matter for awards, recognition, or whatever) that's not essential for them in Japan where physical is where the money's at. They'll get much more money from stable fanbases with fans that will buy 5+ singles each, then from ringtone download sales.
Plus, this is 2ch, where it's users (consisting mostly of men aged between 25-44 based on quantcast statistics) hardly match up to K-pop's target demographic of tween and teen girls. I can't speak for most of Japan, but for the family I have living there that are still in middle and high school, K-pop's popularity doesn't seem to be declining, although the dramas seem to be more popular.

Ehhh I'm sick of this Kpop drivel. Its a fad ofcourse its bound to decline. 
Are there any interesting One OK Rock or Spitz thread? How about anime/manga threads any plans of translating those?
You can translate anything you want ofcourse, I'll just enjoy whatever you decide to translate.

#4 SaiELF15

SaiELF15

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

I cant believe I read all that...

#5 s4a

s4a

Pop-jussi

• Tech Administrator
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

We haven't had this type of topic in about a week. I've missed it.

#6 Taecmetothefloor

Taecmetothefloor

Honey Thighs #1 Slut/Fanclub President

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

glad to see them mention max and e-girls

and not entirely surprised they brought up 2pm's tokyo dome incident

#7 youchewflop

youchewflop

pure schoolgirl

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

omg who wrote this shit 

laughably biased

#8 Taeyeon

Taeyeon

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm surprised the comments about SNSD weren't that bad.

Actually, the comments in general aren't that bad, lol. I was expecting some extreme racism.

#9 Gno

Gno

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

some this is so true, they're failing because everythings too similar...and plus i havent seen many kpop artist heading over to japan these days, besides GG and Kara they're the only ones who are really still there...

#10 Maenar

Maenar

Guy With Great Taste

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

I cant believe I read all that...

You can't be serious...

#11 ApinkPandaOfApink

ApinkPandaOfApink

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

it's not like Japanese artists would have bigger success than the popular kpop groups in Korea even if they tried to debut there :omgwtf:

it's natural thing that foreign singers are getting less popular once the 'hype' dies down

#12 DHenchanted

DHenchanted

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

"We became popular when we did that disaster benefit concert, so I hope there will be another disaster".

did someone really say this?

#13 Mandilinn

Mandilinn

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Not even 2ch has bad things to say about Namie. :ninja: :har:

MAX, Speed and E-Girls :ahmagah:

#14 SaiELF15

SaiELF15

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

You can't be serious...

Why cant I? 

#15 sleep

sleep

#SOOYOUNG2013

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

my eyes...

#16 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

ANTICHRIST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,046 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

70 readers right now...

#17 Nanallena

Nanallena

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

YASS @ them acknowledging the best album of the decade:

Girls' Generation 1st Japanese album  :ahmagah:  :chu:

This pretty much proves only Kara & SNSD are somewhat still grabbing little interest from the general public in Japan

No but seriously, were any K-pop groups other than SJJD and Kara (and BoA/Tohoshinki but they were a bit before the Hallyu bubble in Japan so I don't count them) ever just a little popular among the Japanese general public? Every other K-Pop group dropped a single or two then went back to Korea after they didn't make as much money as they wanted to.
So Dmn was kinda right, KARA & SNSD was the hallyu wave in japan

Because their ace is this disgusting old pig LOL 
37.jpg

OMG

#18 youchewflop

youchewflop

pure schoolgirl

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

"I can never get into KPOP because of its obsessive, cliquish, obnoxious and cult-like fanbases. "

pretty sure jpop is similar though

#19 dmn

dmn

Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Not really any surprising commentary.

#20 soshi.mp3

soshi.mp3

(*・_・)ノ⌒*

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

The group members just don't seem to have any individualism.

I think Girls Generation who made Japan a stepping stone but flopped in the US will disband soon.

These groups don't have any distinct characteristics. All their songs are also pretty similar.

tumblr_mfkhaj2jeK1rjme7ro1_500.gif

Up, Up and Away!