Photo

What's the difference between "main vocalist" and "lead vocalist"?

position group vocalist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 hunmenoid

hunmenoid

Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

main sings the most part, while lead sings the hard part (e.g high notes)..

since my bias doesn't get many lines to sang, i dont really care tho..

#22 NickyGolightly

NickyGolightly

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Usually Mains are better then Leads 

#23 Nari

Nari

Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I always felt like the main vocalist's voice was what the song was based around. i.e. The chorus sounds like different variations of the the main vocalist, the song often fits their voice the best over the lead vocalists.

#24 HanryuFan

HanryuFan

Legend

• Translations Team
  • 5,624 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:44 PM (Edited by HanryuFan, 07 January 2014 - 06:44 PM.)

Main is #1, lead is 1.5, everybody else are rappers or basically glorified backup dancers.

#25 Rory

Rory

Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

It's just a different way of saying the same thing i.e. face/visual. Company's just use it as a label to differentiate group members when it actually just means the same thing!

#26 lepidoptery

lepidoptery

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

Main is considered (by the company) as the best in the group (or the highest tier if there is more than one); actual lyrics allocation can vary from song to song or seem to contradict this throughout their entire discography.  In practice, different groups distribute lyrics differently, so it's not always a rule what which will sing.

#27 dmn

dmn

Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Main is considered (by the company) as the best in the group (or the highest tier if there is more than one); actual lyrics allocation can vary from song to song or seem to contradict this throughout their entire discography.  In practice, different groups distribute lyrics differently, so it's not always a rule what which will sing.

No. The companies don't do such statement about positions. That shit is all made up by fans.

#28 Sa1zo

Sa1zo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:42 PM (Edited by Sa1zo, 07 January 2014 - 07:43 PM.)

In Kpop simply put it is like this

Main vocal is the best singer of the group if there is many main singers they are the best singers of the group

Lead vocals are the 2nd best singers of the group

and the rest are just vocals

Like for example in SNSD it is like this:

Taeyeon is the Main vocal

Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny and Jessica are lead vocals even though I have seen some people calling Jessica SNSD 2nd main vocal

then rest members Hyoyeon Yuri Yoona and Sooyoung are just vocals 

#29 Skibop!!

Skibop!!

B2UTYful Say A; GiKwang's Wife & Jia's Mistress

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

main has the best vocals

lead...wait for it.... leads the songs lol starts the verses lol

#30 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

The main vocalist is usually the one in charge for the most difficult parts (adlibs, high notes etc), while the lead usually sings easier parts like for example the chours...

it really depends on the group tho, sometimes they can be the same person

^This, basically. 

For example, Soyul and ChoA are Crayon Pop's main vocalist and it's usually one of them who sings a majority of the song. ChoA's sister Way is the lead vocalist and main rapper. Way is probably as good a vocalist as Soyul, but Way is more charismatic in her singing so the lead fits her best. 

#31 comandhurst

comandhurst

Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I am not sure what the difference is.

Infinite for example, I don't like Sungkyu's voice because it is too nasally for me, but when I heard him sing I'd recognize the song as Infinite's right away because of his tone.
But at the same time, I know Woohyun is the better singer because of his range.

I guess what I am trying to say is Sungkyu's voice is like the sound of the group but Woohyun carried all the high notes.

#32 Babi

Babi

○ Ⓗ⃞ⓐ⃞ⓟ⃞ⓟ⃞ⓨ⃞ ○

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

it depends on the group

this

Some groups have the best singer as the main vocal like SNSD & SISTAR and others have the most unique voice as the main vocal like 2NE1 & T-ARA (even tho idk who's the lead in both groups lol ~ CL & Eunjung are leads, r? ) 

I tho Jessica was the lead lol I think she used to in 2007-2009.

#33 OneHallyu#1ApinkhaterKW

OneHallyu#1ApinkhaterKW

World#1Apinkfanboykongwee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Main mean the "best".
Lead mean they can sing.
Just a way to promote an idol regard on role in the song.

#34 ~ PD Hercule Poirot ~

~ PD Hercule Poirot ~

>< Music • Anime ><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Main - the best
Example, SHINee Jonghyun. He does the crazy high notes and most of the adlib
Lead - second best
Onew's job was to unify the rest of the members into the harmony. Usually takes care of the chorus/in charge of being the one the rest harmonizes to

Nowadays Taemin also took on the lead role....so I guess it's switchable between those two.

#35 Kpoposaurus

Kpoposaurus

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

this

Some groups have the best singer as the main vocal like SNSD & SISTAR and others have the most unique voice as the main vocal like 2NE1 & T-ARA (even tho idk who's the lead in both groups lol ~ CL & Eunjung are leads, r? ) 

I tho Jessica was the lead lol I think she used to in 2007-2009.

Sica and Taeyeon are both main. Tiffany Seohyun and Sunny are lead

#36 Seokween1991

Seokween1991

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

main >>>> lead

in snsd

Main: Taeyeon and Jessica

Main and Lead (in the middle) : Seohyun

Lead: Tiffany and Sunny

between Sub and Lead: Sooyoung (mostly in japanese songs) and Yuri (in earlier albums)

Sub: Yoona and Hyoyeon

#37 FrazerNg

FrazerNg

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:04 AM (Edited by FrazerNg, 08 January 2014 - 06:14 AM.)

In Kpop simply put it is like this

Main vocal is the best singer of the group if there is many main singers they are the best singers of the group

Lead vocals are the 2nd best singers of the group

and the rest are just vocals

Like for example in SNSD it is like this:

Taeyeon is the Main vocal

Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny and Jessica are lead vocals even though I have seen some people calling Jessica SNSD 2nd main vocal

then rest members Hyoyeon Yuri Yoona and Sooyoung are just vocals 

Because she is.

Check out the description for Jessica in the "The Power of Nine" section of Soshified

http://www.soshified.com/forums/

She's basically equal level to Taeyeon.

Or read this pre-debut history of SNSD there are mentions of Sica being the main vocalist

http://snsdkorean.co...o-nyuh-shi-dae/

#38 Red Velvet's #1 fan

Red Velvet's #1 fan

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

just titles

#39 Lizzeh

Lizzeh

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:19 PM (Edited by Lizzeh, 10 January 2014 - 12:20 PM.)

Main vocalists have the strongest voices, they sing high notes and hard parts, maybe they sing more solo parts than the other members.

Lead vocalists "lead" the song so to speak. They sing the melodies and transitional parts of the song and basically help pull the sounds of everyone else's voices together. At times when all the members are singing together you'll often find the lead vocalist is the loudest or the one you can hear the best.

Dancers and rappers are more straightforward... main dancer = gets most time in the front/middle and gets the hard parts of the dance & dance solos, rapper = raps the most.

And then you have the visual as well, who is like the "face" of the group, usually the "best looking" member, contributes a lot to promotion by appearing in CFs and other things, and sometimes is known to be the member that gets the crazy hair or outfits, depending on the group XD

All of these 'positions' can differ slightly depending on the group however.

Up, Up and Away!